Mod The Sims
Page 12 of 15

Mod The Sims (https://modthesims.info/index.php)
-   Sims 3 (https://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=561)
-   -   Awesomemod or Twallan? (Any Twallan mod) (https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=444198)

Miss Puff 27th Mar 2012 8:47 PM

I have been using both Twallan's stuff and awesome for quite awhile, but I've decided I'm going to get rid of awesome now. The reason why is because I was recently looking through awesome's code and I saw something in there that I had never seen documented and made me very uncomfortable. It's not in the config, so I can't turn it off without getting rid of the mod, and while there have always been some things in the mod that I didn't really like but was willing to overlook for some of the core bug fixes, I don't think this is one of those things I can just put up with.

I'm not sure if I should even say what it is here, as I don't know if it would be appropriate, but I think other people might want to know it's there in case they don't want it in their game either. Basically, it's a random chance for "something bad" to happen to your sims if they end up in jail, although the language used in the code is more profane. The chance for it happening goes up if the sim is a heavy sleeper or has low athletic skill. Ever since I learned about this, I've been really bothered by the idea that this sort of thing could happen if I ever had a sim in prison, especially alongside Twallan's mods, which add more ways your sim could be sent to jail. I have no problem with the idea of exploring or confronting the darker sides of life through the sims, but if I choose to do that, I want it to be on my terms, in situations where I'm in control and ready to deal with it. Having it thrown randomly in my face like it's some sort of joke is not something that I want in my game.

eskie227 27th Mar 2012 10:53 PM

Well............prison is a tough place.

Still, you should only use mods you're comfortable with. If AM isn't a good fit for your gameplay, then by all means delete it (carefully, as if you don't follow the uninstall directions, which I honestly don't remember, it's been a while since I used it myself, you can render your saved game unplayable).

Miss Puff 28th Mar 2012 12:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
(carefully, as if you don't follow the uninstall directions, which I honestly don't remember, it's been a while since I used it myself, you can render your saved game unplayable).

I'm actually going to be moving my current family to a new neighborhood soon, so I am just going to wait and start that hood without AM installed. They're a sim with the good trait and a sim in law enforcement, so they should hopefully be safe from prision until then. For anyone else who might want to uninstall it, for whatever reason, I believe the procedure is to bring up the cheat window and type "uninstall", and then save and quit without unpausing. Then you should be able to safely remove the mod from the folder where you installed it.

GnatGoSplat 28th Mar 2012 3:32 PM

Hahah, I hadn't ever had that happen to a sim, but then my sims seldom do anything to go to jail. I didn't think the language in the code is profane at all, but I've got a potty mouth so something has to be pretty over-the-top for me to find it profane. As awful as it is in real life, it's a topic that's often made light of and joked about, even in primetime network television (every CSI, NCIS, etc), so I'm not surprised in the least to see it in awesomemod.

Mootilda 28th Mar 2012 4:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Miss Puff
I have been using both Twallan's stuff and awesome for quite awhile, but I've decided I'm going to get rid of awesome now. The reason why is because I was recently looking through awesome's code and I saw something in there that I had never seen documented and made me very uncomfortable. It's not in the config, so I can't turn it off without getting rid of the mod, and while there have always been some things in the mod that I didn't really like but was willing to overlook for some of the core bug fixes, I don't think this is one of those things I can just put up with.
Yes, I feel the same way, although perhaps not about the exact same piece of code.

I'm very wary about new features which are undocumented and unable to be turned off. If this were a static mod, it might be worth creating my own version without the extra features. However, Awesomemod changes frequently enough that this isn't really feasible. Perhaps once the Sims 4 comes out, it might be worth it to create my own final version of Awesomemod.

In general, I believe that Pescado does an excellent job. Unfortunately, his attitudes towards game play clash with my own, which means that I don't want to use his mod.

I love that Twallan has managed to create small selectable mods which allow me to play my game my way.

Purplepaws 28th Mar 2012 9:41 PM

Twallan all the way. With Awesomemod, I feel like Pescado has more control over my game than I do.

Zokugai 28th Mar 2012 10:22 PM

I stopped using Awesomemod when I realized I had so many Twallan mods the only thing I was using AM for was for putting map tags on the wild horse herd. On the other hand, ErrorTrap and I don't get along, so I'm in the surprisingly comfortable position of being coremod-free.

I did thoroughly enjoy AM while I had it, though. A lot of the things that both AM and the Twallan mods do, AM seems to make much less complicated. For instance, while I was running both, if I wanted to...say, switch household, I could go through the multiple levels of menus to make MC do it...or I could rightclick on the sim and AM would do it. It was much more intuitive.

And actually, I've just now realized there's a Twallan mod that does that, too.

It's really just a matter of personal preference.

twallan 28th Mar 2012 10:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Zokugai
or I could rightclick on the sim and AM would do it.

That is part of [Selector] in my suite.

Zokugai 28th Mar 2012 10:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by twallan
That is part of [Selector] in my suite.

Yeah, I realized that...see the edit. I never bothered reading the interactions list before now because the description doesn't seem to imply it affects sims.

twallan 28th Mar 2012 11:52 PM

The edit you made after I posted ? My powers of precognition failed me unfortunately.

tilarium 5th Apr 2012 3:59 AM

After much consideration I've decided to stop using awesome aswell. I've been using awesome for so long and always just installed it that I don't even know what it does anymore, I just always knew I needed to have it LOL My question for those without awesome, what do you use to increase the sliders. That's about the only thing I know awesome has that I'll miss and have nothing else to replace it with.

This is all based on if I can get my game to work right again. For some reason the game is crashing everytime I try and start a new town, the annoying part is that the only thing I did from when I could start fine and now is I installed the St. Paddy's pack from the offical store. Weird that that would break my game................

noxnoxnox 5th Apr 2012 8:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tilarium
After much consideration I've decided to stop using awesome aswell.My question for those without awesome, what do you use to increase the sliders.

Hope you know how to uninstall Awesome properly before removing it from your Mods folder. Twallan's Master Controller also offers the multiple slider ranges or you could use the stand-alone slider hack from aWT.

Pelouse 5th Apr 2012 1:13 PM

Is it Twallans mod (I think it's the supermod, not sure) which makes all the other lots occupied in a town and therefor makes it difficult for you to move a family?

Or is that just the game itself? Either way it's annoying and I'd love for a way to keep it from happening!

cinder72 6th Apr 2012 10:50 PM

I just installed a bunch of Twallan's mods thanks to this thread. Given what I'm reading here, I don't think I'm going to try awesomemod. No disrespect to the creator of awesome, because lord knows I can't code anything at all and I appreciate the work that goes into something like that. I installed master controller last night and love it, so I'm sticking with Twallan for now.

And how great is saver?! I ALWAYS forget to save!

mafuane 6th Apr 2012 11:09 PM

Eyah, MATY is so rude -_-, what's the reason for being such a jerk?? I used to use Awesome exclusively but when I needed to use Twallan's MC for some reason, it was much cleaner and smoother than Awesome. The only problem I have with Twallan is that it's a little overwhelming and i'm not sure which thing does what quite yet :P. But I am happy with it! and won't go back to awesome any time soon.

larrydot 23rd Jun 2012 9:36 PM

I have been using Twallan's mods in my game since they came out. I have several of them and honestly won't update my game until I know there's a corresponding update from Twallan. I could never get Awesomemod to work for me, but I have all I need to improve my gameplay with Twallan.

Issie 24th Jun 2012 12:41 AM

I use both (obviously not the ones that clash).

jthm_nny 24th Jun 2012 1:53 AM

I don't plan to download Awesomemod because of all the things that can conflict with it. Of course, since things are usually explained whether they conflict with Awesomemod or not and wouldn't tell me whether or not they conflict with whatever other mod I've downloaded.

Ynouva 24th Jun 2012 5:10 AM

I only have one real mod in my game and that's NRAAS Overwatch. I'm not really a mods person. I always choose to play the game as it is... vanilla! But I needed Overwatch because it helped me fix certain issues in the game like lagging when some Sims are stuck in an elevator. Oooh, I hate it when that happens! Thank God for Twallan and his mods!

kampffenhoff 29th Jun 2012 8:49 AM

More awesome than you members are so rude and unhelpful. Here is a typical example http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,21584.0.html. This is just one among many. This is a very mild example. The motto there seems to be --we are superior so we will treat you like sh--.

NAJ P. Jackson 29th Jun 2012 2:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kampffenhoff
More awesome than you members are so rude and unhelpful. Here is a typical example http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,21584.0.html. This is just one among many. This is a very mild example. The motto there seems to be --we are superior so we will treat you like sh--.

I can see what you mean by unhelpful. Why respond at all if he doesn't have an answer to his question.

Howabominable 29th Jun 2012 7:23 PM

I use both. If I had a gun to my head and was forced to choose, I would go with Twallan. I love how Twallan's mods add to the story of the game and make the neighborhood seem like a NEIGHBORHOOD, especially with the story progression mod. My sims felt so isolated before I got that mod. I can't even play the game without Twallan's mods now, it's like an empty shell.

Both mods have different goals. Awesomemod has always been about making the game less irritating and making sims less stupid. This is a good thing, because there are a lot of irritating things about the game and sims are notoriously dumb. Twallan's mods are about making the game more immersive and fun. Both mods are pretty important to my game.

I use Awesome, Story Progression (I turn AM's off), Master Controller, Overwatch, Error Trap, Saver, Dresser, Consigner, Traveler, and Register. I haven't found any conflicts with these as long as I go through and deselect a few of AM's features. Mostly what I like about Awesomemod is the ability to macro, since I like to make collector sims and going around having them pick up rocks is irritating.

And yes, if you go to download Awesomemod, do NOT post on the forms. They are jerks there. It's just the culture of the forums. If you ask a question, you will get flamed, so search for someone who asked the question and got flamed and hopefully find the answer. Yes, it's stupid, but I think the stuff on the site is worth digging through all the mouthbreathers and angry children.

iwillnotbreak 30th Jun 2012 6:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by kampffenhoff

The behaviour at MATY is foul. i'm not being melodramatic either.

Why bother with a bunch of "superior" morons when I can head over to NRaas, where not only are the mods easier to use, customisable to my playing style, documented better, and fully supported, but I feel welcome and respected by Twallan & the rest of the community there.

i am NOT bashing Pescado personally. I think he is brilliantly smart and witty. I just dislike the environment in which hosts his mods.

Srikandi 1st Jul 2012 2:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pelouse
Is it Twallans mod (I think it's the supermod, not sure) which makes all the other lots occupied in a town and therefor makes it difficult for you to move a family?

Or is that just the game itself? Either way it's annoying and I'd love for a way to keep it from happening!

There is no "Supermod"

Story Progression moves sims into empty houses, whether it's EA's version, Twallan's, or Pescado's. If you don't want sims ever moving into empty houses, the easy solution is just to turn story progression off in game options. Of course, nothing else will happen to those sims either.

If you want to be able to micromanage exactly how full your town gets, I'd recommend Twallan's Story Progression. You'll need to spend some time getting to know the settings. Awesomemod may allow a similar level of control, I don't know.

hannahmh87 1st Jul 2012 8:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
There is no "Supermod"

Story Progression moves sims into empty houses, whether it's EA's version, Twallan's, or Pescado's. If you don't want sims ever moving into empty houses, the easy solution is just to turn story progression off in game options. Of course, nothing else will happen to those sims either.

If you want to be able to micromanage exactly how full your town gets, I'd recommend Twallan's Story Progression. You'll need to spend some time getting to know the settings. Awesomemod may allow a similar level of control, I don't know.

I know Twallans mods (I also think awesomemod also has the option but I am not certain) of allowing story progression but disabling sims from moving homes and also moving into/ out of the neighbourhood.