Mod The Sims
Page 1 of 15

Mod The Sims (https://modthesims.info/index.php)
-   Sims 3 (https://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=561)
-   -   Awesomemod or Twallan? (Any Twallan mod) (https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=444198)

SpookyOkyBatGirl 1st Jun 2011 6:26 PM

Awesomemod or Twallan? (Any Twallan mod)

Which one do you use, and why? Like it better, features you want that you can't get with the other? Why would you recommend it?

I'm personally looking at which one I want, but I'm still back and forth on the two. So far, I'm still conflicted. You peoples?

btw, I hunted around but I'm still sure this isn't the place to post this. Ah well! The mods will eventually hunt this down and correct me if not. :p

metal_goat 1st Jun 2011 6:32 PM

Well, which Twallan mod? MC and Woohooer both work with Awesomemod.

HystericalParoxysm 1st Jun 2011 6:38 PM

Most of Twallan's mods work with Awesome just fine - you don't have to choose between them except for the (I think) one mod that's core of Twallan's.

I tend to have Awesome, Master Controller, Overwatch, and Decensor.

twallan 1st Jun 2011 6:58 PM

ErrorTrap (the Core-Mod HystericalParoxysm is referring to) is also compatible with Awesome.

Note that certain features in Woohooer have been known to outright crash Awesome, so it is not advisable to use the mod to circumvent Awesome's more "interesting" restrictions.

LVRugger 1st Jun 2011 7:54 PM

I use AM and Twallan's Woohooer, Master Controller, careers and shoeless. These (along with a few from Buzzler) are my MUST HAVE mods. The rest I can do without. I would use Twallan's story progression but for some reason my in-game clock always stops. Maybe I'll try again after I finally install Generations.

blueberrybruises 1st Jun 2011 7:56 PM

Well, I have Awesomemod, used that one exclusively for a while, but I also grabbed MasterController, Woohooer, and lately I've tried StoryProgression (on top of awesomemod, with awesome's story progression turned off.)
Awesome does what it says on the box.
Story Progression, honestly it gives my computer considerably more lag at certain times of day, like around 5 pm I think when many sims are being granted their work skill update. I can't remember if I turned it on, or if it defaults to it but Story Progression does have options to give you a lot of chatty pop-ups, about people buying vehicles, and gaining skills, relationships, and things like that. Of course, you can still turn all the popups off and I think what makes Twallan's mod great is that townies and un-played sims have more varied interactions you can see happening on community lots. Unfortunately for me, it is still noticeably laggier with all the chattiness of Twallan's mod turned off, just nothing to read while its hanging. I like MasterController for editing the Lifetime Want, and the Woohooer for the jealousy system.

So I think that StoryProgression is more suitable for smaller worlds, where you've taken a particular interest in making each of the families and are playing more of a legacy/evolving style and you're more invested in the neighbors as potential suitors.

In cluttered EA worlds where neighbors are but annoying bytebags and I am more into exploring or collecting or an ambitions career I prefer AwesomeMod story progression.

So I consider AwesomeMod to be indispensable, and Twallan's story progression to be a cool diversion that would be cooler if I had a beefier computer and more time and attention span for my own half-baked worlds.

Mootilda 1st Jun 2011 7:57 PM

The nice thing about Twallan's mods is that you can pick and choose the things that you want. Awesomemod is one monolithic mod and you don't have the option to turn off a lot of its features.

Badgermole 1st Jun 2011 8:06 PM

I have T's Master Controller and Story Progression.
I like them both, though all the pop ups from SP can be annoying sometimes. [but you can turn them off, I just like seeing what some of the sims around town are up to.]

Sorceress Supreme 1st Jun 2011 8:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
The nice thing about Twallan's mods is that you can pick and choose the things that you want. Awesomemod is one monolithic mod and you don't have the option to turn off a lot of its features.

But you still can pick and choose Awesome's features with confic file. I also like that fact that awesome fixes so many annoying bugs, which EA doesn't bother to fix. I have in my game Awesomemod, Twallan's story progression and Twallan's Overwatch.

Robodl95 1st Jun 2011 8:30 PM

I use Twallan's, there isn't very much that AM does that twallan's/other mods don't. AM can lead to some corrupted game files if not handled correctly.

writerchick 1st Jun 2011 9:32 PM

My big reason for having Awesome Mod in my game is that without it, several of my sliders will not work. Basically, the jaw ones just refuse to work unless Awesome is in place. But for the rest, it's Twallen's stuffs.

Mootilda 1st Jun 2011 10:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
But you still can pick and choose Awesome's features with confic file.
You can choose some of the features. However, many of the features are not configurable and you just have to accept them. Unfortunately, Pes and I disagree on which features are desirable. Some of the ones that I hate, he absolutely refuses to make optional.

SuicidiaParasidia 1st Jun 2011 10:21 PM

i can deal with a little bugginess, since most of the time they turn out to be harmless and amusing (like standing up while in a moving vehicle--i laugh at that one every time i see it)... but i prefer twallan's mods. i have his master controller, woohooer, story progression, porter, and debug enabler. all are wonderful devices that dont cause problems and make making adjustments to my 'hood easy as pie. or possibly cake. either way, its damned delicious.

awesome mod, i tried once. its just not that awesome.

Sorceress Supreme 1st Jun 2011 10:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
You can choose some of the features. However, many of the features are not configurable and you just have to accept them. Unfortunately, Pes and I disagree on which features are desirable. Some of the ones that I hate, he absolutely refuses to make optional.

Hmm, that's true.

I would also love to use Twallan's Porter mod but the readme file doesn't state whether or not the family can keep all their collected and a achieved objects. Or how to actually use the clone option. I guess I have to do a bit more research still.

twallan 1st Jun 2011 10:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
I would also love to use Twallan's Porter mod but the readme file doesn't state whether or not the family can keep all their collected and a achieved objects.

Hmm... If only there was a place specifically built to ask the creator those types of questions.

(Note: This is not the place, by decree of the management)

SuicidiaParasidia 1st Jun 2011 10:39 PM

though, also, when i have an issue with one of twallan's mods, he doesnt tell me im a fool and/or ignore me. i think he gets that while it may seem obvious to him, other people just arent mod-savvy and it doesnt make any sense to be rude to them when they come to you for help.
the reason i mention it isnt to whine or put pescado down, but merely to point out that it does reflect on your willingness to use an object if when you have trouble with it, the manufacturer cant be bothered to help you figure it out. you could doodle around with it yourself and hope you fix it by yourself, but if youre anything like me, you know that only 1 of 2 things can happen that way: 1) a miraculous fix stumbled upon by pure luck, or 2) complete and utter computer breakdown. im talking blue screen of death, no way back, "fml" breakdown.

Sorceress Supreme 1st Jun 2011 11:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by twallan
Hmm... If only there was a place specifically built to ask the creator those types of questions.

(Note: This is not the place, by decree of the management)

I'm sorry if I sounded like I was asking for help. I wasn't. That's why I mentioned that I have to do more research. I try to be more clearer next time.

Micaela926 2nd Jun 2011 12:20 AM

I use Twallan's mods. In the past I have used both Twallan and AwesomeMod but AM started causing my game to crash to desktop. Reading here I am guessing it was the use of both AM and Twallan's Woohooer. I may give it a shot again when he get AM updated for Generations...

saeda 2nd Jun 2011 1:53 AM

I use Twallan's Story progression, careers, woohooer, overwatch, and master controller alongside Awesomemod with its story progression turned off.

shaaaii 2nd Jun 2011 2:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Badgermole
I have T's Master Controller and Story Progression.
I like them both, though all the pop ups from SP can be annoying sometimes. [but you can turn them off, I just like seeing what some of the sims around town are up to.]
I don't find the pop ups annoying, I really like knowing what's going on with the rest of the town

Stina1701-D 2nd Jun 2011 9:50 AM

I love the popups. I too like to know what is going on in my hood especially if someone is moving. Although I was NEVER going to touch a mod or cheat this time around I had to cave in because I wanted to play with story progression on. I use Twallan's SP and his MC.

I can not make any judgement on Awesome mod because I have never tried it. I did think about trying it but as I had used Twallans SP before and it was familiar to me I just went with that one. I'll probably add more mods as my gameplay progresses. I'll see.

HystericalParoxysm 2nd Jun 2011 10:14 AM

Twallan's Story Progression popups are customizable. I did find the default settings a little irksome, but changing it to "blood and friends" means you only hear about family and friends, and makes it a lot more manageable.

sandymdh 2nd Jun 2011 10:31 AM

Awesomemod alongside Mastercontroller, Careers & Woohooer. I am glad that the UK doesn't get Generations till tomorrow as hopefully most of the mods I have will be updated by the time I install it. I don't really appreciate what these mods do for my game until I try and play without them!
I'm not THAT computer savvy but have always learnt by trial and error with anything on MATY (or elsewhere) and still haven't managed to reach 'blue screen of death, no way back, "fml" breakdown'. To be honest though I'm a stubborn old goat and don't like asking questions and, granted, it may take some searching but there's always a clear guide on how to use any of the downloads on there. It doesn't put me off using it as most people that get criticised on there are those who just haven't made the effort to look. If Pescado has spent hours and hours updating AM, for example, I personally think anyone using it should be grateful enough to spend time learning how to use/install without him having to spend more of his valuable time answering inane questions. More complicated queries are usually answered helpfully.
The feature I miss the most when I don't have AM installed (which may seem such a small thing) is the progression of other town households while I am playing a particular family.

Don Babilon 2nd Jun 2011 10:31 AM

I use AwesomeMod and twallan's MasterController, Overwatch, ErrorTrap, Relativity and occasionally Porter.
Recently I tried to de-awesomise my game but whenever I go through everything I would miss I notice that there's no other mod to replace that, like balancing the Steel Bladder and Dirt Defiant LTR, Plant on any Lot, tweaks to the celebrity slander system, easy way to switch families (I assigned a mouse button to the ctrl-shift-click combination), several debug commands, less curfew restrictions for teens, SupremeCommander for collecting, no gender restrictions when playing with genetics in CAS, less pudding for game created NPCs etc. etc.
When it comes to story progression I am not entirely happy with any of them. Twallan's is too big for me (both resource and usage wise), and AM has some things that I really do not like (I'd really appreciate a no-immigration option, for example, or that Sims would not be forced into Ambitions self-employment when the system is still not able to advance them once they've entered). But they're still way better than what the default SP offers and unless the gods provide me with unexpected modding skills I guess I'll be forced to stick with one of them.

Charity 2nd Jun 2011 10:48 AM

I got a non abusive answer to a question on MATY once, but maybe that was a miracle. XD The forums definitely aren't user friendly.

I'm yet to put a mod in my game, although I've been poking around options. A lot of people say they use Twallan's mods and Awesomemod. I thought it was one or the other. I get that they are compatible and you can use them together, but I thought they did the same things in different ways so why would you need both of them?