Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 7:49 PM
Default How hard is it to make mods?
Hello. I've been playing Sims for some time now, adding mods to make the experience even better. Lately, I've been thinking "wouldn't it be awesome if Sims could do this or that autonomously and had different careers that could be tweaked" and so on.

Thus far, I haven't seen any mods that do what I have in mind. And I'm not a programmer or an artist, so I don't know if I am even capable of creating mods.

Is modding something someone with zero programming experience and stick figure art skills can feasibly do? And if so, how long would it take to make one?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 1:55 AM
Hi,
so it really depends on what you want to create. I personally have very little programing experience, so I make CAS and object recolors. If you're recoloring something that actually exists it will be harder in the sense that you'll want it to look like its real life counter-part, but the overall art and design is already extant. If you're starting with an original idea, the designing and art may be harder, but you get to decide what you want it to look like.
a person with very little artistic skill (drawing/painting) could still be really good at design, so I'd say try it.
For recoloring or making new objects/clothes/ect. I'd sign up on Sims4Studio, download the most recent version for your OS, and have fun. S4S has lots of tutorials, or look on youtube. You'll also need a 2D editor like Paint, Gimp, or Photoshop. Just mess around, and if you like it feel free to submit it to the moderation que and upload it.
An average recolor takes about 2-3 hours (multiple colors, designs, minor troubleshooting)

Like I said, I have very little experience with programing so I'll let someone else answer about that.

Thanks and welcome to the CC/Mod creating community,
Eliza
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 11:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by andlarryofficial
Hi,
so it really depends on what you want to create. I personally have very little programing experience, so I make CAS and object recolors. If you're recoloring something that actually exists it will be harder in the sense that you'll want it to look like its real life counter-part, but the overall art and design is already extant. If you're starting with an original idea, the designing and art may be harder, but you get to decide what you want it to look like.
a person with very little artistic skill (drawing/painting) could still be really good at design, so I'd say try it.
For recoloring or making new objects/clothes/ect. I'd sign up on Sims4Studio, download the most recent version for your OS, and have fun. S4S has lots of tutorials, or look on youtube. You'll also need a 2D editor like Paint, Gimp, or Photoshop. Just mess around, and if you like it feel free to submit it to the moderation que and upload it.
An average recolor takes about 2-3 hours (multiple colors, designs, minor troubleshooting)

Like I said, I have very little experience with programing so I'll let someone else answer about that.

Thanks and welcome to the CC/Mod creating community,
Eliza

Thanks a lot. I'm going to use the suggested tutorials and see what I can come up with. Hopefully, it won't take years before I'll have something to upload.