Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Aug 2018 at 6:27 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Should I buy a new computer to play the Sims 2?
My Windows 7 computer recently died. I have a laptop with Windows 10 that I thought I had set up to play the Sims 2, in the event that my computer died. When I first tried to play the game on my laptop, it wouldn't play at all because of a directx 9.0c graphics card issue. So I took it into my internet provider, which can fix computer problems, and the technician said he got the game running. I must have just taken his word that it worked without checking it out because when I tried to run the game on my laptop, it just displayed in a tiny window that didn't show the whole neighborhood - which meant there were a large number of houses I couldn't play.

So I got the brilliant idea to try to get a copy of the Ultimate Collection thinking it might work better than the discs on Windows 10. I did get a copy, but unfortunately I had the lack of sense to just download it without uninstalling the original game. The UC won't play at all, apparently because of a graphics issue (the directx 9.0c graphics card issue message is popping up again). From the little bit of research I've done, it sounds like there may be issues with playing the Sims 2 on a laptop period, and I might be better off getting a regular computer again. And it sounds like even without the graphics issue I've broken my laptop for ever being able to play the Sims 2 anyway.

However, I am afraid to go out and buy a computer in the hopes that I can play the Sims 2 on it. If I do go out and buy a new computer, what would I look for in order to get something capable of playing the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection?

(And, I've actually been a MTS member for years. But unfortunately my sign in information was lost when my computer died and the e-mail I signed up with I don't have access to anymore.)
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Aug 2018 at 6:38 AM
Well you do need the 4gb patch and the graphics rules done on any new computer. I got a new desktop with win 7 just a few months back and had a horrible time after AMD did a driver update that broke many directX9 games. I ended up buying a new Nvidia card amongst other things. If the computer has more cores Sims 2 needs a faster CPU. I bought 4 core as that is the smallest that you can get now.
You do have to uninstall your disk game first though, to use the UC.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#3 Old 10th Aug 2018 at 8:25 AM
https://www.systemrequirementslab.c...he-sims-2/10222 - I found this site helpful.

What I did was purchase a used laptop to use specifically for TS2 gameplay (I got a Lenovo thinkpad) and it has Windows 7 on it and it runs perfectly (it came with 7, but I also have my own copy of Windows 7 if I should need to restore) - and I bought it on Amazon with an extended warranty I have not had to use. When Origin took off securom on the UC download, I did have to uninstall it and reinstall it to play, but it works perfectly, and it has enough space for my music and a complete backup of TS2 files. The computer was relatively inexpensive for all that I use it for.

http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=21 - this forum talks about graphics cards and how to run your game well after you install it.

If you do purchase a new laptop, I do recommend the warranty. I had another laptop that was a lenovo touch screen that my idiot cat bit (!) because it was like wraparound glass and it broke (IKR?) and they fixed it, no problem. The warranty was $100 for three years but the replacement would have cost over $200 for parts alone. Well worth it.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 11th Aug 2018 at 9:53 PM
I wouldn't recommend a laptop since those tend to get hot after a while and The Sims 2 is typically a game you leave running for a bit. My laptop that was way younger than the Sims 2 tended to overheat now and then. Laptops are also harder to repair and upgrade.
It's pretty hard to buy a new computer that can't play the Sims 2 as far as I'm aware - the game is already pretty old after all. They are also comparatively cheaper than laptops for what what you get (don't age as fast, easier to upgrade, less overheating, etc.).
Alchemist
#5 Old 11th Aug 2018 at 10:13 PM
an alternative to getting a new computer might be to replace various hardware.
though if the hardware would be more expensive than a new computer, would be better to get new computer.

if you decide to get new computer, there might be some computer companies that let customer to customize the computer.