Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Locked thread | Replies: 1276 (Who?), Viewed: 157871 times. | Locked by: Reason: Please refer to the ACTIVE THREAD (http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=82084). This is only an archive of old posts.
Page 36 of 52
Lab Assistant
#876 Old 15th Nov 2005 at 11:06 PM
Bathtub Problem
i made a bath tub in an oval shape and made it so it is rotated to the the side. but when the sim turns it on the water fills up out half in side and half outside. the sim sits in where the water and is also half and half. is there a way to fix all of this without making by tub straight?
Field Researcher
#877 Old 15th Nov 2005 at 11:44 PM
I think you can change the mesh for the water...
Instructor
#878 Old 15th Nov 2005 at 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowbow2604
i made a bath tub in an oval shape and made it so it is rotated to the the side. but when the sim turns it on the water fills up out half in side and half outside. the sim sits in where the water and is also half and half. is there a way to fix all of this without making by tub straight?

You need to modify the rotation values in CRES for where the Sims and where the water is located.

Eclectic Sims The place for your younger sims and unique animated items!
Charmed Sims Archives Gorgeous Clothing, Furnishings and more.
Two great sites ALL FREE NOW!!!
The ModFather
retired moderator
#879 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 12:16 AM
I'd restore the "straight" position of the tub, and then rotate the entire CRES hierarchy, by editing the rotation of the topmost cObjectGraphNode.
This way, everything would be rotated at once: tub, water, slots and routes.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#880 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 12:34 AM
is there a tut or something because i dont understand any of this
Inventor
#881 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 12:35 AM
I hate to ask this because I feel I use you guys up when others who are not so "creation challenged" need you but I've searched for 5 days on this silly question and the search here doesn't work good for me. I come up with many things that are irrelevant and have many pages to sift through to find nothing of waht I'm seeking. I've had the problem before and figured it out but now I don't remember how I did it, espeically with the new SimPE out. I had created a bed, it became corrupt, JWoods fixed it. It was a Uni bed so I rebuilt it under a new gmdc, etc so it'd be base-game compatible. No EP required in other words so others can get it. I have one person in particual waiting on me
Problem? When I rebuilt the bed, the original bedding does not show. How do I enable the maxis bedding with this new frame? I know it sounds like a dumb question and I've seen it numerous times (except for now) so sorry about that. I've spent 5 days looking so I'm giving up on the search and hoping one of you know the link to a tutorial or know the information..
Thanks in advance
xts

ADDED: I thought I"d add this because I'm not used to seeing it, might be cause it's a new simpe? Is it common for only bed files to seem to load the gmnd when clicking on gmdc ? Seems to load floors and walls and everything just to see the gmdc of the bed.. I opened the romantic romance lighting and it does not do that. Please tell me it's common because it did this on my new bed too.
Thanks..

(Quote) ~ "If it isn't one thing, it's going to be another. It is usually one thing. Oh man, is it a mother" (The Mother of All Things) - PB
The ModFather
retired moderator
#882 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 1:37 AM
It's common SimPE also scans the CRES, when loading the GMDC...

As for the bedding, you probably have checked "Create stand-alone object" when you cloned the bed: this option breaks the links to the original beddings.
Or perhaps you have cloned the Colonial Ironwood double bed? If so, avoid cloning it: it's the only bed that isn't linked to the beddings (because it contains all the beddings).
Probably the fastest way to fix this is to re-clone the original bed.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Inventor
#883 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 3:36 AM
Thank goodness it's common. Thank you Numenor, my friend. As for the bed, you are right. I was thinking I had to clone that colonial to get the bedding.. I did clone it. :o
Ok, rebuilding bed again.. I sure wish I'd catch on better.
Thanks for your answer Numenor. After 5 days I can maybe stop the insanity..

recloning time.. I'm apologetic to you, my friend. something so "obvious" and yet I miss it. Sounds about right lol.

Have a good evening
xts

(Quote) ~ "If it isn't one thing, it's going to be another. It is usually one thing. Oh man, is it a mother" (The Mother of All Things) - PB
Test Subject
#884 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 5:44 PM
Default Help please
hey guys this is my first object that has worked in the game!
*thankfully* but ive had it a while! the thing is i am posting it on here because i am not happy with the texture, so i was hoping that someone who is very good at texturing could have a go at this!
and i was also thinking does any1 know how to make an object invisable"transparent* or make it glass? cause i want the ball to be glass or transparent! if any one has got a link to making objects tranparent please direct me!
Screenshots
Part-time Hermit
#885 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 5:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo1800
hey guys this is my first object that has worked in the game!
*thankfully* but ive had it a while! the thing is i am posting it on here because i am not happy with the texture, so i was hoping that someone who is very good at texturing could have a go at this!
and i was also thinking does any1 know how to make an object invisable"transparent* or make it glass? cause i want the ball to be glass or transparent! if any one has got a link to making objects tranparent please direct me!

To make the ball glass, it needs to be a separate mesh subset from the rest of the object. You need to import the ball and the rest as two separate meshes into SimPE, and follow my tutorial for adding a subset here. Alternatively you can clone an object that already has two mesh subsets, and edit the other one to look like glass.
Test Subject
#886 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 5:58 PM
yea but how do you make the glass?
Part-time Hermit
#887 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 8:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo1800
yea but how do you make the glass?

You have to edit the Material Definition file for the glass part of the object. The easiest way to do that would probably be to Extract the Material Definition of a glass part from another object and then Add that to your object package. The tutorial I mentioned explains how to rename the files and such to make it work. If you don't want the ball to have any texture, but just be translucent glass of a plain color, the glass part won't need a texture image.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#888 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 8:15 PM
This tutorial will help you; but, first, follow IgnorantBliss' advice and be sure to have an object with two subsets: you can't enable transparency only on a part of the same subset.

Lab Assistant
#889 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 8:30 PM
two questions

1. What is CRES? :moose:

2. How do you edit it? :baloons:
Part-time Hermit
#890 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 8:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowbow2604
two questions

1. What is CRES? :moose:

2. How do you edit it? :baloons:

1. CRES=Resource Node

2. Never done that, so I'll leave that to someone else
Lab Assistant
#891 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 9:53 PM
thnxs, but do you know anybody who knows how to chang the resourcs node?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#892 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 11:27 PM
Read this article from the Modding InfoCenter.

Instructor
#893 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Ez
Ok.
After a long time away from playing/making objects for my Sims i'm back.
But i really really need some help to fix some things.

For my "Stress down Set" it has been reported that only the chair work. Meening that the chair can be placed and used, while the table is in the objects bin, but can not be selected/placed.
I have tried to figure out why this is, but has come up with nothing.

The chair is a clone from the diamondback dining chair and the table from the outdoor "garden" table so they should both be compatible without any EP.

But as it is now only the chair works without EP's. And this is what I need help with. What have I done wrong with the table? Why isnt is working without EP's?

I really hope someone can help me with this. There are a lot of people whom have DL this, but cant use it because they dont have EP's.

Moon_Ez, you sent me a message but I deleted it before I could press the reply button. You know my problem but I could not help you as I am very stupid when it comes to meshing and other things. Surely I could test the item for you once when you think you have fixed it but that is about all. Hope you can as it is quite a neat table.
The ModFather
retired moderator DELETED POST
17th Nov 2005 at 2:46 AM
This message has been deleted by Numenor. Reason: See next post
The ModFather
retired moderator
#894 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Ez
For my "Stress down Set" it has been reported that only the chair work. Meening that the chair can be placed and used, while the table is in the objects bin, but can not be selected/placed.
I have tried to figure out why this is, but has come up with nothing.

But as it is now only the chair works without EP's. And this is what I need help with. What have I done wrong with the table? Why isnt is working without EP's?

I've checked again your table, and I've found that it wasn't properly cloned.

In order to create a base-game compliant object, when you have an EP installed, you can't just put "0x8b" in the Object Data (BTW, the code must be 0x8b in ALL the Object Data files, not only the main one, like in your table).
Many creators think that changing that code is enough, but this is untrue.
Before cloning the object, you have to *uncheck* the EP references in SimPE's file table (Extra -> Preferences -> File Table), and then restart SimPE.
Only this way, you'll get a really base-game compliant object.

I've re-cloned your package, and made it base-game compatible (tested in base game: it works).

Part-time Hermit
#895 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numenor

In order to create a base-game compliant object, when you have an EP installed, you can't just put "0x8b" in the Object Data (BTW, the code must be 0x8b in ALL the Object Data files, not only the main one, like in your table).
Before cloning the object, you have to *uncheck* the EP references in SimPE's file table (Extra -> Preferences -> File Table), and then restart SimPE.

I've re-cloned your package, and made it base-game compatible (tested in base game: it works).

Are you saying that to create a base game compatible object we have to do this every time we clone an object if we have an EP installed, even if we clone an object that is from the base game? I hope not, or it means none of my objects so far work without EPs! I've never heard of this before. I remember reading about bookcases being like that, that if you have University installed, your cloned bookcase will only work with the EP, but I never thought it would affect all objects some way. I don't think there is any mention of this in JWoods' object tutorial, either.
Lab Assistant
#896 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 11:16 AM
Quote:

Thanks a mill for this info Numenor. I was totally unaware of this. I think I just might have to have me a "rework" day hare and uppdate all my objects.

All my objects and creations are free of use and should always stay that way. IE. Do NOT UL to ANY pay site.
For my recolor of other peoples mesh, se their info reg. redistribution.

And. A linked credit to my object is always nice :)
The ModFather
retired moderator
#897 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 3:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnorantBliss
Are you saying that to create a base game compatible object we have to do this every time we clone an object if we have an EP installed, even if we clone an object that is from the base game? I hope not, or it means none of my objects so far work without EPs! I've never heard of this before. I remember reading about bookcases being like that, that if you have University installed, your cloned bookcase will only work with the EP, but I never thought it would affect all objects some way. I don't think there is any mention of this in JWoods' object tutorial, either.

Unfortunately, yes, I mean exactly that: you have to "deactivate" the EPs from SimPE every time.
If you don't, it doesn't necessarily mean that the object won't work, but there's a high chance that it won't work.

As you probably know, all the Object Data files, the BHAVs, the Text Lists and many other files are included in the Objects.package. Every time an EP is added, a new (and different) Objects.package is added to the game; but the newer Objects.package doesn't contain only the new objects: it contains *all* the objects. Therefore, *all* the objects become "EP objects"; for some of them, Maxis decided to keep a downward compatibility; for some other, Maxis updated them, making them "EP only" (note that the update may be "invisible", i.e. no new functions are added to the object).
You can see if an object is still base-game compatible by looking into the Object Data, "Raw Data" tab, field 0x0000 (Version_1): if it's "0x8b", then it is a base-game compatible object, if it's "0x8c", it's an EP-only object.

As explained in my previous post, you can only read that value. Changing 0x8c to 0x8b only makes the object appear in the base-game catalog, but doesn't ensure that the object will actually work in the base-game.

Part-time Hermit
#898 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 4:38 PM
Quote:
Unfortunately, yes, I mean exactly that: you have to "deactivate" the EPs from SimPE every time.
If you don't, it doesn't necessarily mean that the object won't work, but there's a high chance that it won't work.

I'm absolutely shocked that I've never heard about this before, not during the many months I've been browsing these forums, and the four months I've been creating custom objects. I've never seen it mentioned in the tutorials I've read, either. This information should absolutely be included in the next version of the object making beginner tutorial.

I just went and checked pretty much all of the custom objects I've created, and, thankfully, all the items that I assumed to be base-game compatible, were that. I would have thought that at least one person out of the thousands who have downloaded my items would have reported to me about a problem, but I wanted to make sure. I also installed just the base game on my husband's computer to test my objects, and the ones I tested were fine. So, no harm done so far, thankfully!
Fluffy
retired moderator
#899 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 7:07 PM
Ignorantbliss and Numenor,
I've noticed that with some objects, you can, indeed change the line in the raw data,
and it will work fine in the base game.
This is the case for stereo's, for instance.
But I'm not sure to which degree that works. I'm assuming that bookcases are a goner, once you install Uni, with the added functions.
If changing the line doesn't always work, it certainly explains some of the problems reported by people.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#900 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 8:37 PM
The main differences between an "original" base-game" object and an "EP" base-game object are the following:

1) The different code 0x8b / 0x8c; sometimes this is the only difference, and the object will work in the base game perfectly, once you change the code (note that some objects still have the 0x8b code in the EP as well: in such cases, no modification at all is needed).
2) The behaviour of the object may have been modified, in order to fix bugs in the original code, or to improve the existing functions, or to add new functions (it's the case of the UNI bookcases and computers); the modified / added BHAVs only exist in the EP objects.package, and therefore the object can't work in base-bame (changing the code to 0x8b will create a faulty object).
3) NEW with the Nightlife: most of the BHAVs, including the many that were not changed/updated, have been re-coded with a new format: the old BHAV type 0x8007 has been updated to the new 0x8009, that is a format unknown to the base-game; though these BHAVs may contain the old instructions (i.e. the object behaviour is identical to the base-game version), they are unreadable. This is the case of Moon_Ez table: an old table, already existing in the base game, that still uses the same base-game INIT instructions... but in the new, unreadable format 0x8009. As a consequence, the table couldn't execute the INIT BHAV: it appeared in the catalog (because the code 0x8c was manually modified to 0x8b), but couldn't be placed in game.

I want to state that all this matter is new to everyone: I myself knew of this new BHAV format reading the SimPE forum, but I'm not a BHAV modder, and I didn't realize the consequences of this modification; and - I need to point out - no one of the BHAV modders alerted the creator about this issue.

In any case, when you clone an object with the EP, if the object isn't supposed to work in the base-game, it has the 0x8c code: changing that code is something that is entirely up to the creator, so no one is to blame for not having alerted the Community about this problem...

As soon as I can find the time, I'll produce a tutorial about creating and testing base-game objects when you have an EP installed. But I can't teach people how to transform an EP object into a base-game object (by changing the 0x8c code and all the other things), because it would be a serious copyright issue.

Locked thread | Locked by: Reason: Please refer to the ACTIVE THREAD (http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=82084). This is only an archive of old posts.
Page 36 of 52