Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#33351 Old 18th Mar 2024 at 8:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mocuna
Not the case (that part of an SP, right? cuz I only have M&G). I remember I saw it near the back of the house, there was no sim around, only a graveyard. Could a ghost provoque such particles?

Well, they are from the Happy Holidays pack which is shipped with the game in some cases, but if you dont have it then we can rule that out.
Not that I know of. Ghosts can haunt objects and if they had died by drowning they can flood the lot. I think ghosts emit particles in TS3, not TS2, so I cant think of ghosts doing this.
With Pets, Sims can spawn a food box to feed womrats , cats, dogs or birds. This drops a pet food effect and can sometimes cause it to get stuck on Sims' hands. It's kind of earthy coloured, I dont know if this could be it because you said it was like a party balloon.
Could you send a screenshot of the back of the house? I'll see if there are any other objects that cause colourful particles.

Cats are the cutest creatures. And the most stubborn.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#33352 Old 18th Mar 2024 at 9:29 AM
A couple of times I've notice, from the cormer of my eye, a sort of particle explosion, like when a party balloon pops. Do you know guys have any idea what could be the cause? I'm certain it wasn't a balloon.

Having a bird on the lot can seem to trigger a visual bug where the food "confetti" from the cage and/or sim when they interact with it. Not sure if it was patched out at some point, though - haven't checked if it still happens in UC (my old game was maybe a bit iffy on the patching, as in I can't remember if I did it...).

There's a neighborhood deco item effect that has some popping effects, but I'm not sure if it shows on lot view (check if there's a blue effect box near the house in NH view.

Pretty sure the party effects come with the holiday packs, and I don't think they throw off any particles on their own without sims interacting with them. There's fireworks (cone-shaped, small?) and a sparkler (in a box with some other things), but you'll have to put the items out for sims to interact with them.

Sims also do some party popper things when there's a birthay celebration (I think? Been a while since I did birthday parties...) but you'd know about that.

Balloons are the only things I can think of that do random popping with confetti on a lot, but you'd see the remains of the balloon.
Mad Poster
#33353 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 8:25 AM
Is there a way to load up a household without clicking on the lot, via console or something?

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Lab Assistant
#33354 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 10:37 AM
Is there a way to stop a career (specifically, a custom one) from appearing during the job search on the newspaper or the computer?
Instructor
#33355 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 10:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Having a bird on the lot can seem to trigger a visual bug where the food "confetti" from the cage and/or sim when they interact with it. Not sure if it was patched out at some point, though - haven't checked if it still happens in UC (my old game was maybe a bit iffy on the patching, as in I can't remember if I did it...).

This happens to me as well, but I cant remember if patch notes mention it. I'll try to recreate it once again. I think it's continuous(?), it isnt just for one second.

@Bulbizarre the load lot cheat does that. See this post: Loadlot Cheat

Mad Poster
#33356 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 12:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MHS0501
Is there a way to stop a career (specifically, a custom one) from appearing during the job search on the newspaper or the computer?

Yes! Read the instructions.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Scholar
#33357 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 12:58 PM
Cross-posting in here: Is it safe to age down an adult who has received the extra wants slots from the Bat-box upgrading a pre-University Sim to teen? My teen party house needs more family friends for a promotion to afford to party, I don't want to risk not making that friend requirement before work when playing them, and I'd feel horribly wrong trying to have my self-insert befriend kids half my age.

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Theorist
#33358 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 12:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FuryCat
This happens to me as well, but I cant remember if patch notes mention it.

I think there was a mod that fixed that, not a patch. Can't think of one, though. But yes, it's definitely the bird cage and stuck VFX, it's the first thing that popped in my mind when I read confetti on unpause! It also happens when I zoom in quickly from afar.
Instructor
#33359 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 2:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by topp
I think there was a mod that fixed that, not a patch. Can't think of one, though. But yes, it's definitely the bird cage and stuck VFX, it's the first thing that popped in my mind when I read confetti on unpause! It also happens when I zoom in quickly from afar.

One time I thought the bird was throwing up. I then zoomed in and realized the cage was bleeding pet food.

Mad Poster
#33360 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 3:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DrChillgood
Cross-posting in here: Is it safe to age down an adult who has received the extra wants slots from the Bat-box upgrading a pre-University Sim to teen? My teen party house needs more family friends for a promotion to afford to party, I don't want to risk not making that friend requirement before work when playing them, and I'd feel horribly wrong trying to have my self-insert befriend kids half my age.

It might cause complications, which is not the same thing as harm.

But honestly I don't see a reason to. Just make friends. People need friends in all age groups throughout their lives; it is a weird (and I believe peculiarly American) modern irrationality, and an unhealthy one to boot, to treat intergenerational friendship as somehow icky. Read some biographies and memoirs. Scientists grew up making friends with adults who did science; queer teens in homophobic families regularly have their lives saved by making friends with older queers and joining queer networks; craftspeople and chefs and fashion designers and inventors get their start learning basic skills and having their interest encouraged by older friends. The way sims make friends across age-lines spontaneously is charming and delightful and it makes me weep that the society I live in has made people second-guess this natural and necessary process.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#33361 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 3:48 PM
Are there any small beach lots on here to download? The ones in the game are a little bigger than what I was looking for but the search didn't turn anything up. I know someone made mini community lots once so I was wondering if they had mini beach lots.
Test Subject
#33362 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 4:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FuryCat
With Pets, Sims can spawn a food box to feed womrats , cats, dogs or birds. This drops a pet food effect and can sometimes cause it to get stuck on Sims' hands. It's kind of earthy coloured, I dont know if this could be it because you said it was like a party balloon.
Could you send a screenshot of the back of the house? I'll see if there are any other objects that cause colourful particles.

The ghost died of old age. Interesting about the pets stuff, but there's no pets on the household, just the ocassional stray. Wish I could offer a screenshot but I redesigned the house. I can say that at the back (outside) there was a tombstone, couple flowers, a chess table and fences. And the room next to that zone was a simple bathroom, with no special objects.

There's a neighborhood deco item effect that has some popping effects, but I'm not sure if it shows on lot view (check if there's a blue effect box near the house in NH view.

Pretty sure the party effects come with the holiday packs, and I don't think they throw off any particles on their own without sims interacting with them. There's fireworks (cone-shaped, small?) and a sparkler (in a box with some other things), but you'll have to put the items out for sims to interact with them.

Sadly, I'm confident it's a no to any of that. But thank you for the input! I've played again for a couple of times, even paying attention to the toilet like @simsample suggested, but the effect hasn't happened again.I'll let you guys know if I see it again.
Mad Poster
#33363 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 5:05 PM
TSadly, I'm confident it's a no to any of that. But thank you for the input! I've played again for a couple of times, even paying attention to the toilet like simsample suggested, but the effect hasn't happened again.I'll let you guys know if I see it again.

A screenshot of the lot or around the area where you think you've been seeing the effect would've been helpful. It's possible we can help solve the mystery if we know which items we've got to work with.

I think pets growing up + giving birth also have "popper" effects, and those can happen quite randomly if you don't pay much attention to them. Strays won't do that, but they sometimes dig holes in the backyard, which if you don't look directly at it potentially could look like a color effect paired with a colorful background.
Instructor
#33364 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 5:06 PM
The ghost died of old age. Interesting about the pets stuff, but there's no pets on the household, just the ocassional stray. Wish I could offer a screenshot but I redesigned the house. I can say that at the back (outside) there was a tombstone, couple flowers, a chess table and fences. And the room next to that zone was a simple bathroom, with no special objects.

Hmm, I really don't know either. Rather mysterious. If I ever come across that bug/thing, I'll take a screenshot. It's pretty weird! :D

Test Subject
#33365 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 6:33 PM
I edited the userStartup.cheat file while the game was running. Will nothing bad happen?
Mad Poster
#33366 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 6:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gabrielogic
I edited the userStartup.cheat file while the game was running. Will nothing bad happen?

Pretty sure it should be fine, but I don't think changes will apply until you restart the game. If you've edited any cheats/aliases you're planning to use in this game session and the new ones don't work, try the old ones (or the full cheat code, those should still work).
Theorist
#33367 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 6:55 PM
Worst case, the file didn't get saved because it was used by a different process (Sims2.exe). Average and best cases: nothing happens.
Mad Poster
#33368 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 9:48 PM
Beach lots have really finicky terrain requirements, I don't think it's possible to make them any smaller.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#33369 Old 20th Mar 2024 at 3:42 AM Last edited by Bulbizarre : 20th Mar 2024 at 3:55 AM.
How does the game vanilla select the Sims appearing in the welcome wagon?

I'm using twojeffs' Welcome Wagon Dialog. In Welcome Wagon - Make - Standard and Welcome Wagon - Make - For Singles I notice a thing (forgot the word) called 'Sub - Can Person Visit?' which makes me think that's why it always sends unemployed Sims (or, recently, none at all).

Scholar
#33370 Old 20th Mar 2024 at 4:28 AM
Is it ok to age the Dining Podium Host from elder to an adult, using the SimBlender ?

" Inama Nushif "
Inventor
#33371 Old 20th Mar 2024 at 5:01 AM
Yes. You can also make a new adult host.
Mad Poster
#33372 Old 20th Mar 2024 at 6:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
How does the game vanilla select the Sims appearing in the welcome wagon?

I'm using twojeffs' Welcome Wagon Dialog. In Welcome Wagon - Make - Standard and Welcome Wagon - Make - For Singles I notice a thing (forgot the word) called 'Sub - Can Person Visit?' which makes me think that's why it always sends unemployed Sims (or, recently, none at all).

It sends sims who are home at the time of move-in. Which includes unemployed sims, but probably also includes people who work at night, or who have Monday off.
Test Subject
#33373 Old 20th Mar 2024 at 3:59 PM
A screenshot of the lot or around the area where you think you've been seeing the effect would've been helpful. It's possible we can help solve the mystery if we know which items we've got to work with.

Alright. This is more or less what I had back then. The orange room used to be an office with a desk, computer, bookcase, nothing else. Iirc it happened first near the chess table/where the bathroom at the right is now, and again around he bathroom. And I think that's about it
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#33374 Old 20th Mar 2024 at 4:19 PM
Alright. This is more or less what I had back then. The orange room used to be an office with a desk, computer, bookcase, nothing else. Iirc it happened first near the chess table/where the bathroom at the right is now, and again around he bathroom. And I think that's about it

- Ghostly activities (not sure which ones, though)
- Woohoo in the closet?
Scholar
#33375 Old 20th Mar 2024 at 4:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonasn
Yes. You can also make a new adult host.

Wow. I didn't know that !
How is this done ?

And, can you make your own servers as well ?

I've been creating my own townies and downtownies for a while now.
Would love to create my own restaurant hosts and severs.

I have all the stuff and expansion packs installed except Holidays.
Also have the hacks needed so only one maid per neighborhood and one host is spawned per podium.

The cafe I'm running is not sim-owned.
It's on a commercial lot and is spawned by placing a dining podium.

Thanks in advance.

" Inama Nushif "
Page 1335 of 1347