Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Aug 2019 at 2:15 PM
Default New to Sims 3 - Where do/would you start when you have never played the game (not just mods)?
HELLO.
After playing Sims 2 from the year it was released until now, I'm start to move on from it, because I can't get the installation file to work again because of I tryied AGS (yes, it says you don't need to install)
and I can't find it any sSwedish stores or online (I do-NOT-download on English websites and Orgin seems to stop selling Ultimate Edition. I'm from Sweden!)...SO, I'm giving up TS2 for now and plan to move on to Sims 3 instead (prefer games where EX and SP are finished released).

Other than trying the base game vanilla, I don't know anything about the other sims games after Sims 2. This is the 2nd time, I've been on Sims 3 forum, so I'm sorry if this type of thread has been asked before. I tried to search, but mostly only find about mods and walk-through stuff. I'm not asking about things that enhance the game play with mods or annoying fixes, but anything that is important to know... I looked at the mod thread, but couldn't understand it, as I don't think TS3 has same modding system as TS2.

So beside mods, where would you start if you haven't played the game before (I test played for a few hour years ago)?
The main thing I'm concern is how different Sims 3 is when it comes to corruptions and glitches - Does such things exist in the Sims 3 as major as Sims 2, when it comes to non-playable, Grim Ripper etc... ?
Is any mods recommended in the sticker about glitches and corruptions, rather than game-play? Game-play, I think it something I should learn myself slowly... but I've always been a scary-cat of destroying the game files of the Sims games.
The only thing I'm sad letting go is the rotational game-play where you sync your sims lifespan as you play them. With sims 3, it replaced with story progression of different levels (as I understood it), but I'm wondering - is there any thing to get similar vibe with mods? The main reason why I avoided Sims 3 and Sims 4, sims aging up without you interfering with them...

Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 17th Aug 2019 at 2:59 PM Last edited by Jathom95 : 17th Aug 2019 at 3:19 PM.
First of all, I hope you have fun with it. Always nice to see people trying TS3.

I know you've said you've tried it before in small "tests", but if you haven't really played it for an extended length of time, the best advice I can give is that playing the game itself gives you a better feel for how it plays, much better than a guide can just tell you about the game. You get a sense of what you like, don't like, and so on so that you can make adjustments later. As for your specific questions, I'll list them below:

1) Don't worry about corruption. TS3 does have its share of glitches, with the size of the game it just happens. But corruption the way you're thinking of it doesn't really happen for TS3. You don't ruin an entire neighborhood saving a lot that's not empty, or deleting sims from the sim bin, etc. The only thing to really worry about is save bloat. This is more due to how save games become "bloated" or filled with junk over time and eventually become difficult if not impossible to load. Just playing the game itself will cause this, but it can be alleviated to a degree with a few mods. I'll touch upon those in a moment.

2) The main mods you should definitely have no matter what are a few mods from a site called NRaas, which is basically necessary for a stable game. This is the site for reference: www.nraas.net
They have excellent site organizers and the guys over there can help if you're unsure what you're looking for. If I could, I'd recommend at least two for what you've said you're worried about with the game.
- ErrorTrap - This one basically checks for errors in your save game that might otherwise keep it from loading and will allow it to load anyway. It will put what's causing it to a file that can help them see why it's happening in the first place.
- Overwatch - This one is essential. It basically keeps your game neat and tidy. TS3 has problems with all sorts of things involving Sims getting "stuck", abandoned vehicles, stereos being left on at night, etc and all of this contributes to your game becoming more "bloated" over time. This mod will ensure that all of this is "cleaned up" regularly without affecting your save negatively. So you won't have to worry about your Sims/Lots disappearing or anything like that, most of what Overwatch does are things you probably won't notice.

3) TS3 doesn't really support rotational play as you know it by default, yes. It was mostly replaced by Story Progression, as you know. The thing is that the game's method of Story Progression isn't really comprehensive. It doesn't take into account what your Sims actually "want", but by what the town actually needs as far as numbers go. So it would be something like so many families in particular should be living in town, so many in particular should have this job, and so on. NRaas does also have its own Story Progression mod, which basically makes the default SP obsolete, as it allows you to fine-tune exactly how you want your game to be running and what Sims should be doing what. I want to note however, that it is a pretty large mod with lots of options that may be intimidating at first glance. What I'd recommend when first trying to play is just stick to the game's default options, with or without story progression (but I'd recommend it being on so you can get a feel for what it does), and whatever aging option you'd like to set it to. That way you can, again, get a feel for what you like/don't like and can adjust it accordingly later.

I hope this gives you a good starting point and helps somewhat. Please feel free to ask about anything else if you're unsure.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Aug 2019 at 3:32 PM
Thanks for a quick answer(s). I'm used to heavy modded gaming and I'll probably read about the Nraas mods first then. :lovestruc:
It's most things that make the game running easier (rather than those stuff that disable certain things or defaults), as with TS2, I was a heavy breeding, overpopulated a hood with 1500+ playables, so I'm a bit curious how switching to Sims 3 will change that habit.

My ideal game-play is playing every family through generation controlling the main events like marriage and children. So what I wanted to avoid is playing one family and couple of weeks later, the children moved out are already gone through the youth. But I think you should be able to control parts of every households life, right? Those who move in in other houses, they are not like townies like TS2? That's my main concern of playing a world where everyone aging in sync. (probably a good thing tho, if you focus on the family life, )
Scholar
#4 Old 17th Aug 2019 at 4:24 PM
the game design is completely different, take this into account.

While you can establish with a quite tinkering some resemblance of the rotational playstyle (on the Nraas there is comprehend guide for it) the game is not supposed to be played like that, its strength lies elsewhere. Exploration, multi-world journeys, minigames like tomb exploring/rading, collecting or just - as I used to call it - morrowinding (you go to some place and just enjoy the view, explore the map, visit strange places, meet awkward sim-people etc.).

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Aug 2019 at 4:40 PM
ElaineNualla.
Yes I know, there will be difference I won't escape from, just asking around to see which areas that can get "tinkered" with and there are ones TS3 I like a bit better (walking to lots without loading screen, BLEAUGH).
Scholar
#6 Old 17th Aug 2019 at 8:29 PM
First thing I'd do is play and get a feel for the game. Mess around with CAST and building, make a family try and keep them happy that kind of thing. Just get my bearings. Some will be the same and some will be different. Some you will like, some you won't. After you've met your goals for that first file, go ahead and install your mods framework and download NRAAS Story Progression, Overwatch, Errortrap, Saver, and Mastercontroller. This gives you the framework to decide what to do with those things you like and don't like.

The problems that come with TS3 are different than those with TS2, mostly it seems to be that a neighborhood becomes too much for a computer and the lag kills it for the user.

Mastercontroller allows you to open a menu on City Hall or even on the sim level and select "Make Active" when you want to switch houses. This makes rotating your play easier.

The Mayflies Legacy- a Random Legacy Story
Scholar
#7 Old 17th Aug 2019 at 8:32 PM
Please use an FPS limiter so you don't overheat your computer.
Honestly this is one of the most important things all sims 3 players should know/do.

Wren-der Simblr // Sim Art // Pictures // Downloads // Random Nonsensical Rambling
Mad Poster
#8 Old 17th Aug 2019 at 10:57 PM
Not right away perhaps, but when you are ready this page describes how NRaas StoryProgression can be leveraged to achieve what many of us are referring to as Rotational Play. I haven't missed a birth, death, graduation, birthday, wedding, or any other life-changing event among the sims I play since forever. The other households around "mine" I will let progress and do their own things. The worlds I choose to play in are far too populated for me to want to try playing the entire town in turns. There are of course many variations possible on this style of play.
https://www.nraas.net/community/Sto...-Caste-Settings