Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Apr 2007 at 4:14 PM
Default Would a teleporter like this be possible?
i was playing the sims 2 the other day, making an elevator shaft for my sim's house when i thought to myself "would it be possible to make a teleporter that acts like an elevator, but are able to put the object used to teleport with in different parts of the house and still have the sims use it as an elevator?"

basically i want to know how hard it would be to make a teleporter system that acts like an elevator, but can teleport your sims anywhere on the lot to another teleporter. i like to build houses that are weird. something like a house hovering off the ground or a house being supported by only one elevator shaft or something. i also like to make houses as small as possible just because.

i thought of a few thing that could be a problem or pose a challenge.

1. would you only be able to use 1 teleporter per lot?
2. if you could have multipul teleporters, can you mark each one differently like an elevator has marked buttons for different floors?
3. would it be possible for sims to use the teleporter under free will so you dont have to command them to use it?
4. if the sims can use it under free will, would you need more than one platform to make thme teleport to a different room, or could you use 1 per room to save space?
5. would more than one sim be able to use the teleporter at the same type to go to the same destination like the elevator?

i dont have alot of free time and i know next to nothing about modding the sims, but i could try to learn. maybe someone could point me to the right forum threads for learning how to do something like this and give me some pointers. i dont think anyone else would be willing to make this unless people actually wanted. so if anyone can help that would be great.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 28th Apr 2007 at 6:02 PM
We already have that, don't we? We have a teleport bush, we have a teleport carpet. I know Simslice made a teleporter pad as well, it's neat. When I first went to looking for CC his rejuvinator was the first thing I found and I had to sign up. I think I downloaded everything. lol Ok found them for you, maybe these are similar to what your trying to do.

Ok the teleporter rug is made by Monique
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=60666

And the teleporter bush is made by Jordi
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=188501
Instructor
#3 Old 28th Apr 2007 at 7:12 PM
PegasusDiana, I believe ThIrD-EyE asked a bit different thing - the teleporters you point at summon sims, while he wanted an elevator-like object where top and bottom aren't exactly one under each other, or better don't depend on each other. ThIrD-EyE, am I right?
If yes, then I made such object but it didn't work exactly as I wanted - sims teleported through them only via interaction - if you just command to go from room to room and there's no other exit than through teleporter, sims complained that there's no route. So no free will either I whined about it here a while ago
I wasn't sure how to workaround it, so just postponed the project.

Good luck if you want to try yourself - maybe if you start off some other base (I used painting), you'll get better results. You'll need to seriously edit BHAVs for this, so I'd suggest to start from something simpler, and definitely go through all Echo's BHAV-related tutorials.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Apr 2007 at 7:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PegasusDiana
We already have that, don't we? We have a teleport bush, we have a teleport carpet. I know Simslice made a teleporter pad as well, it's neat. When I first went to looking for CC his rejuvinator was the first thing I found and I had to sign up. I think I downloaded everything. lol Ok found them for you, maybe these are similar to what your trying to do.

Ok the teleporter rug is made by Monique
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=60666

And the teleporter bush is made by Jordi
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=188501

thanks for showing me those, but the problem with those 2 teleporters is they dont allow for freewill interaction as if it were an elevator moving to another floor and i dont want to summon other sims to my lot with it. i mostly want to know if the teleporter i want to make is even possible. i want a teleporter that can be used by sims under their own freewill so i dont have to worry about one of my sims not being able to satisfy a motive because there is no path. also i want to have more than one teleporter that can teleport to any other teleporter on the lot.

say i have a sim that needs ot use the bath room. it's a pretty large house and he is about to wet himself, but the only bathroom available is on the second floor. if he takes the stairs down the hall, it will take him too long to get to the bathroom, if he takes the elevator next to him he still has to go down a hallway on the second floor to get to the bathroom. if there were teleporters setup around the house he could just hop in one tell it which floor and which teleporter on that floor to teleport to. he can get there in much less time. you take the elevator model and make it work like a point a to point b teleporter that can also go from point a to point c or d or f or whatever point they want to except the one their at.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Apr 2007 at 7:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jasana_BugBreeder
PegasusDiana, I believe ThIrD-EyE asked a bit different thing - the teleporters you point at summon sims, while he wanted an elevator-like object where top and bottom aren't exactly one under each other, or better don't depend on each other. ThIrD-EyE, am I right?
If yes, then I made such object but it didn't work exactly as I wanted - sims teleported through them only via interaction - if you just command to go from room to room and there's no other exit than through teleporter, sims complained that there's no route. So no free will either I whined about it here a while ago
I wasn't sure how to workaround it, so just postponed the project.

Good luck if you want to try yourself - maybe if you start off some other base (I used painting), you'll get better results. You'll need to seriously edit BHAVs for this, so I'd suggest to start from something simpler, and definitely go through all Echo's BHAV-related tutorials.

ill take a look at those BHAV tutorials. thanks.
Scholar
#6 Old 28th Apr 2007 at 10:54 PM
Why not just make the item automonous. To do so go to Pie Menu Functions (TTAB).
Using the teleporter rug as my example.

Change the 0x00000064 to 0x00000032 in all the pie menu functions you'd like to be automous.

Wouldn't this work?
Screenshots
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#7 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 1:21 AM
Making an item autonomous just means that sims can use an item to improve their motives without being told to do so. However, the way sims navigate around a building when you say "go here" or some such requires a lot more code in the "Portal" functions in the object's OBJf, so that the sims know that if they use this object, they will end up in this different location. If an object doesn't have that, it doesn't matter if it's autonomous or not, the sims won't realise they can use the object to move to a different location.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 7:20 AM Last edited by PegasusDiana : 29th Apr 2007 at 7:30 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by ThIrD-EyE
thanks for showing me those, but the problem with those 2 teleporters is they dont allow for freewill interaction as if it were an elevator moving to another floor and i dont want to summon other sims to my lot with it. i mostly want to know if the teleporter i want to make is even possible. i want a teleporter that can be used by sims under their own freewill so i dont have to worry about one of my sims not being able to satisfy a motive because there is no path. also i want to have more than one teleporter that can teleport to any other teleporter on the lot.

say i have a sim that needs ot use the bath room. it's a pretty large house and he is about to wet himself, but the only bathroom available is on the second floor. if he takes the stairs down the hall, it will take him too long to get to the bathroom, if he takes the elevator next to him he still has to go down a hallway on the second floor to get to the bathroom. if there were teleporters setup around the house he could just hop in one tell it which floor and which teleporter on that floor to teleport to. he can get there in much less time. you take the elevator model and make it work like a point a to point b teleporter that can also go from point a to point c or d or f or whatever point they want to except the one their at.

Oh, then I don't know even Simslice's you have to place a teleporter wherever you want them to go and tell them to use it. I've never had one just use it. When I need my sims to go someplace quick I have insimenator in my game so I just right click on the spot I want them to be and tell them teleport here or there. I thought if you have them meditate for so many hours don't they also learn to teleport on their own? Hey what about the invisible elevator? That wouldn't work either? Never mind I just re-read what you said. I'll let the experts help. lol
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 11:20 PM
i know im not gona have enough free time to make this on my own and also play my games. so maybe i should just forget it. although if i do find time to learn anything i will try to make a teleporter/ elevator like the one from the sims 1 that used only 2 floor tiles.
Instructor
#10 Old 30th Apr 2007 at 6:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ThIrD-EyE
will try to make a teleporter/ elevator like the one from the sims 1 that used only 2 floor tiles.
Such one was made already - by Targa, see links in his profile.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 1st May 2007 at 1:18 AM
This may not be what you are looking for, but There is one her that does what you want. the only problem is that it is not autonomous (sp). I use it somewhat often. Here's the link:
http://www.simwardrobe.com/
It is located under Sims2, objects, star trek, transporter pad. Hope this helps.

Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, it is measured by the moments that take our breath away.