Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Apr 2019 at 2:55 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default No Hope for TS2 On Modern Systems?
So after a hankering to play the Sims 2 to hit it didn't take me long to realized that the game doesn't play nice with newer systems. When I say it doesn't play nice I mean it wants to watch the world burn.

I frequently get all kinds of combinations of pink flashing, red flashing, and crashing. Not always in that order and not always together. It happens randomly with seemingly no explanation. There are no error messages to accompany the crashing. Just a straight ctd.

I have tried all the fixes I could find during 50 thousand google searches: 4gig patch, Graphics Rules Maker, Memory Allocation fix. I have shaders turned off via the cheat file. I have deleted icons and caches until my fingers have bled. I have tinker in the nvidia control panel until my eyes watered.

None of these have fixed the problem. Is there anything else I can try or am I just out of luck?

Specs: Windows 10, Geforce 1080, 32gigs ram, TS2 Ultimate collection via Origin

DxDiag, Error Logs, and Graphics Files attached
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  DxDiag.7z (14.4 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: 7z  ErrorLogs.7z (13.1 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: 7z  GraphicsRulesCards.7z (10.5 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content

Bloo bagoo!
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Apr 2019 at 3:42 AM
I wonder if it's your Direct X 12, try installing DirectX 9.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#3 Old 23rd Apr 2019 at 8:22 AM
I am going through the exact same thing as you, i just started playing TS2 again and on Win10...it is a nightmare to get anything working. I FINALLY got my game to stop crashing for good, Jessa's video helped me tremendously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0iwuLZyjMg

I am so grateful for her to make that video...the memory allocation made a big difference and definitely helped my game from crash.

I wanted to point out that Graphics Rules Maker did NOT CHANGE MY MY memory allocation values, i was so pissed! I had to go in to my graphics rules and manually changed the number myself. You have to go and double check to see that it updated it correctly...for me it did not and i had to change the numbers. You also have to check your video cards.sgr and make sure your card is listed in there...it's sort of a big deal.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 23rd Apr 2019 at 9:27 AM
I've had some issues with the Graphics Rules Maker, too. It only seems to change half of the things it's supposed to do.
And the VideoCard absolutely does need checking - or the game won't properly recognize the card, particularly with a newer one.
Alchemist
#5 Old 23rd Apr 2019 at 11:14 AM
I don't have any advice really, but I have had very little trouble since returning to Sims2. Our computer is fairly old, but it is running Win10. I couldn't make my discs work, but the UC was fine. Maybe that gives you some reassurance.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 23rd Apr 2019 at 11:39 AM
Have used the UC, first on Windows 7, and then on Windows 10 (when 10 was released) without much trouble - most important thing is probably the graphic rules (if the Graphics Rules Maker does not work, it is best to install it manually; it refuses to work on my pc).
Scholar
#7 Old 23rd Apr 2019 at 1:54 PM
1. set up your GPU manually, adjust then through usercheats file (for reason unknown some of the settings sometimes become ignored); if someone have similar GPU and W10 there he or she will gladly help I suppose;
2. Installation of DX9c may help, or may not, while it's in general better if the DirectX9 program is dealing with the drivers it has been created for, it's 32-bit implementation which may or may not help because "Windows 10"; worth a try anyway
3. You may try to run the game 1st with Intel embedded GPU, while it won't be recognized as that NVidia is not (but sorting up that may be a bit easier), maybe you get the game running at last "somewhat" (well, it should work pretty well on anything better than HD 3000);

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Scholar
#8 Old 23rd Apr 2019 at 3:37 PM
By default the graphic rules prevent the graphic card from managing it's own memory and I suspect this may be a problem for newer cards, the game is intended for 32mb to 256mb cards, 4gig is way more that it can handle. I have been experimenting with turning the driver's memory manager on and although there's no noticeable difference, when a minor graphic glitch does occur it quickly rights itself instead of gradually getting worse.

In the attached Graphic Rules which are prepared for A&N I have change the lines
From
# never trust the driver to manage its own memory
boolProp enableDriverMemoryManager false
To
if ($textureMemory >= 2048)
boolProp enableDriverMemoryManager true
boolProp disableTexMemEstimateAdjustment true
else
# never trust the driver to manage its own memory on old cards
boolProp enableDriverMemoryManager false
endif
So for cards with 2gig or more the game will let the driver handle the graphics
Also for newer NVIDIA GeForce GTX ? cards I changed from
if ($appControlledAA)
# nvidia drivers handle offscreen aa
uintProp antialiasingSupport 3
else
uintProp antialiasingSupport 1
setb supportsDirtyRect false
endif
To
if (not match("${cardName}", "*GeForce*GTX ?*"))
if ($appControlledAA)
uintProp antialiasingSupport 3
else
uintProp antialiasingSupport 1
setb supportsDirtyRect false
endif
endif
Which will set antialiasingSupport to 1 for those cards
Attached files:
File Type: zip  GraphicsRules.zip (7.3 KB, 23 downloads) - View custom content
Instructor
#9 Old 23rd Apr 2019 at 3:46 PM Last edited by suzymarie64 : 23rd Apr 2019 at 7:08 PM.
Graphic Rules Maker does not change memory issues. Go here to adjust your stand-by memory leak that Microsoft as of yet has not fixed.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/...rs_on_creators/

There also might be security issues with Windows 10. Since the Sims 2 is a 32-bit game running on a 64-bit system, the security may think you have malicious software running (do not use compatibility mode). In the Windows 10 security go to here…..
System settings, Windows Security, Open Windows Security, click on Virus & threat protection, go to Manage Virus & Threat protection settings, scroll down to Manage Controlled Folder Access and turn it off. You can also try turning off Anti-Virus and disconnect your internet connection before you start playing to see if it stops your crashing also.

As far as the pink flashing, in the Graphic Rules Maker, bump up the force textures up to 128mb. That advice was given here....
https://git.simply-life.net/simply-...smaker/issues/2
(never change the settings while you are running the game, exit the game first)

Also set your Maximum and Default resolutions in the Graphic Rules Maker to both the highest your monitor resolution is.

There is also a Sims 2 Update patch from GeForce here.....
https://www.geforce.co.uk/games-app...ims-2/downloads
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 24th Apr 2019 at 1:38 AM
Win 10 absolutely refuses to install direct x 9 for me.

I already did the memory allocation fix for windows 10. I followed the instructions to a T and standby memory has never been lower.

My card has definitely been added to the list, however I don't know how to check if texture memory was properly changed.

I also used the GR file Chris Hatch has attached and was greeted by flashing pink goodness the second the game loaded.

I have applied the standby memory fix. I used Graphics Rules Maker to force textures to my cards specs. My resolution is set to my screen's native and the Geforce patch for the sims 2 insists that I do not have the sims 2 installed and well.... I think it's safe to say I do.

Thanks for trying I guess you guys. Looking through leefish leads me to believe that anyone with windows 10 and a 10xx card combo are essentially out of luck.

Bloo bagoo!
Instructor
#11 Old 24th Apr 2019 at 3:25 AM
Just a curious question, where are you installing the Sims. Which folder is it installing to. Hopefully, you let it install to the C:\Program files(x86) and did not change it. Don't understand why it thinks you don't have it installed.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 24th Apr 2019 at 3:58 AM
You can run sims off another drive, my game use to be installed on D drive with hoods and downloads on C drive. My new PC C drive is an SSD, so now my game is installed on C with hood and cc on D.

OP All the files you attached looked fine to me.

Check over this list too https://marasims.tumblr.com/post/17...flash-crash-fix

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#13 Old 24th Apr 2019 at 5:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You can run sims off another drive, my game use to be installed on D drive with hoods and downloads on C drive. My new PC C drive is an SSD, so now my game is installed on C with hood and cc on D.

OP All the files you attached looked fine to me.

Check over this list too https://marasims.tumblr.com/post/17...flash-crash-fix

The reason I told her to check this is because the patch from GeForce is not finding her installed files.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 25th Apr 2019 at 6:37 PM
Already been through Mara's list. None of it stopped the flashing or crashing.

And I do have ts2 installed on D. That's where I have the most space so all of my games are there. My C drive is an SSD drive. Potentially dumb question but would it maybe help to reinstall on C?

Bloo bagoo!
Instructor
#15 Old 26th Apr 2019 at 2:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by miinnii9
Already been through Mara's list. None of it stopped the flashing or crashing.

And I do have ts2 installed on D. That's where I have the most space so all of my games are there. My C drive is an SSD drive. Potentially dumb question but would it maybe help to reinstall on C?

Yes, it would help a lot. It's not going to look for the Sims 2 on your D drive. It doesn't know where you installed it. I would re-install and then try the game without any custom content first or installing the GeForce patch and see how it runs. Remember to let it install in the directory it wants to install to (which it will to C:\Program Files (x86). Don't change it. Also, do not change anything and run it from your latest EP (for me it's Mansions & Gardens), right click on the .exe file and run as Administrator. Not guaranteed this is the cure, but start from here and let's see what happens. If it makes it through the install and runs, then you can go through Jess's fixes to re-apply the fixes.

Edit: it's also better to have a SSD drive. I upgraded mine and I love it. The game runs faster.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 26th Apr 2019 at 4:44 PM
I would really want to know why someone hit disagree on suzy's post. This is a help thread so all ideas count! How would you do then, what would you try instead and why suzy's answer might not be a good idea?

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 27th Apr 2019 at 3:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by suzymarie64
Yes, it would help a lot. It's not going to look for the Sims 2 on your D drive. It doesn't know where you installed it. I would re-install and then try the game without any custom content first or installing the GeForce patch and see how it runs. Remember to let it install in the directory it wants to install to (which it will to C:\Program Files (x86). Don't change it. Also, do not change anything and run it from your latest EP (for me it's Mansions & Gardens), right click on the .exe file and run as Administrator. Not guaranteed this is the cure, but start from here and let's see what happens. If it makes it through the install and runs, then you can go through Jess's fixes to re-apply the fixes.

Edit: it's also better to have a SSD drive. I upgraded mine and I love it. The game runs faster.

Origin defaults to install on D drive for me, so I had to change things around in order to get it installed on C. I have been running CC free so not a problem in that regard. Still no dice. The patch insists that the Sims 2 is not installed. Maybe it's because I am using Origin's UC version?

Either way I applied all of the fixes and tried to play again in hopes that everything being installed on C would somehow fix things. This time entire neighborhoods were pink. The pink plague usually starts small and spreads but I guess not this time.

Bloo bagoo!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 27th Apr 2019 at 3:49 AM
Yes, you 100% want Sims 2 installed to your SSD, but you can have The sims 2 folder with hoods and CC on D, that is what I do. Check how much space C and D has, I was getting lots of crashing recently from an overly full C drive.

After a pink flash I find deleting all the files inside of thumbnail helps, also don't play too long over an hour or two.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#19 Old 27th Apr 2019 at 4:01 AM
I did some research on your card. On LeeFish site they talked about it here http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=8766 It looks like your graphic card won't be compatible with Sims 2. Your card is only compatible with Sims 3 and 4. Here is the compatibility listings http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...em_Requirements http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...em_Requirements Sorry that it won't work for you, unless someone else has a solution.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 27th Apr 2019 at 4:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Check how much space C and D has, I was getting lots of crashing recently from an overly full C drive.

Oh! thank you so much Jo for this little reminder. That must be my problem right there. My C drive is so full...
Funny how you sometimes need to read what you already know...

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 27th Apr 2019 at 5:24 AM
I only thought to check mine this morning and found it had 44 space and was red, same with my daughter's laptop but she only had 11! She tosses in her recycle bin and never deletes it, so don't forget to check that too.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#22 Old 27th Apr 2019 at 5:46 AM
Oh I am as obsessed with my recycle bin than I am with my .cache files..don't you worry!
But for my Drive..I *think* I can improve and re-distribute the weight, whatya think...lol
Screenshots

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 27th Apr 2019 at 5:49 AM
Just a tiny bit?

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#24 Old 27th Apr 2019 at 1:14 PM Last edited by ElaineNualla : 27th Apr 2019 at 2:25 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by suzymarie64
I did some research on your card. On LeeFish site they talked about it here http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=8766 It looks like your graphic card won't be compatible with Sims 2.

there's a bit misunderstanding (on leefish site too), the GPU is not "incompatible" per se, drivers just lack proper implementation of DirectX9 (and DX7 too), because apparently NVidia decided to run blindly into MS dark rabbithole. The "incompatibility - in the proper sense of the word - applies to the Dx8 (someone remembers that still?), because Dx8 is incompatible with everything (though it works perfectly well on Linux because wine just does not care), it was one of MS disasters. Anyway, possible (but not tested) workarounds may be:

- trying to force Dx9 level by installation the drivers (and probably tinkering with registry);
- going through Vulkan/Proton (Steam required) compatibility layer (yes you can do it on Windows), it's a bit messy way but it may work, Proton, while it is (just like wine itself) focused on DX10/11 does quite good job with DX9 programs too;
- running a Virtual Machine;

and finally the tested one:
- just get over with that (s*t) and use iGPU; there're some quirks (like shadows problem) but nothing what simple correction or mod cannot handle.

[EDIT:] And all these requirements are outdated BS

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 13th May 2019 at 3:37 AM
I know it has been a minute you guys but I just wanted to post a quick update: THERE IS HOPE!

It seems it was literally as simple as switching to integrated graphics. I thought about this at first but a google search had led me to believe that Aurora R7s have the port for igpu's covered and blocked the intel gpu control panel from working? It's all lies and a quick look would have told me that. Sometimes I am slow.

Anyway. I have been playing for a few hours straight at this point, switching in between tabs and all, with no issues. Well at first there was some odd 'blinking' on the screen(NOT THE PINK STUFF) but turning up smooth edges fixed that right away.

For anyone who stumbles across this thread with similar issues, all I did was switch to integrated graphics along with applying the 4gig patch and updating the graphics rules like usual. For fixes in Graphics Rules maker, the only ones I have ticked are 'no shadows' and 'High Settings with Intel graphics.' I also noticed a little problem where adding both of my cards - integrated and dedicated - to the cards lists made the game not want to load so don't do that.

HAPPY SIMMING!

Bloo bagoo!
Page 1 of 2