Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Feb 2023 at 4:50 PM
Default New to creating objects/meshing - Cannot bake a correct multiplier
Hello! I've been working on my objects for quite some time - I've successfully created my mesh, individually scaled, marked seams, and unwrapped what uv map was generated for my mesh. When I bake this map at 25 samples, it does not bake like the what the uv map looks like. I've tried this with the mesh parts joined and un-joined (there are a lot of planes/cylinders, etc.) The mesh looks okay in game; there's an area where 2 posts and a plank that are see through (attached image). The texture looks pixelated/blurry too. I am new to creating objects solely from scratch as I've always just made conversions from the other Sims games. I've gone through multiple tutorials, and I'm almost ready to call it quits. Thanks for reading xD
Screenshots
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 2nd Mar 2023 at 10:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xLestatLoverx
Hello! I've been working on my objects for quite some time - I've successfully created my mesh, individually scaled, marked seams, and unwrapped what uv map was generated for my mesh. When I bake this map at 25 samples, it does not bake like the what the uv map looks like. I've tried this with the mesh parts joined and un-joined (there are a lot of planes/cylinders, etc.) The mesh looks okay in game; there's an area where 2 posts and a plank that are see through (attached image). The texture looks pixelated/blurry too. I am new to creating objects solely from scratch as I've always just made conversions from the other Sims games. I've gone through multiple tutorials, and I'm almost ready to call it quits. Thanks for reading xD

Well, I never "bake" multipliers in Blender, and really cannot make out your UV, but some "parts" look small, and I can say that textures will distort on small UV items.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Mar 2023 at 4:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
Well, I never "bake" multipliers in Blender, and really cannot make out your UV, but some "parts" look small, and I can say that textures will distort on small UV items.

Ahh, okay, do you have any suggestions on how to create it? I've gone through a lot of tutorials on how to create a multiplier - both in writing form and video (YouTube). The texture in Blender is fine, looks normal, other than the multiplier job and TSRW. I use the 2048 px blank texture (black) baked onto the object. I can send the file itself for anyone to see if there's something else causing it or if it's just me not correctly applying something or leaving a step or two out. I'm using Blender version 2.79.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 3rd Mar 2023 at 12:55 PM
Ahh, okay, do you have any suggestions on how to create it? I've gone through a lot of tutorials on how to create a multiplier - both in writing form and video (YouTube). The texture in Blender is fine, looks normal, other than the multiplier job and TSRW. I use the 2048 px blank texture (black) baked onto the object. I can send the file itself for anyone to see if there's something else causing it or if it's just me not correctly applying something or leaving a step or two out. I'm using Blender version 2.79.

When I say that I do not bake in Blender, perhaps I should have said I do not bake multipliers at all. Once, maybe 3 years ago, I baked a shadow. ))) If I make a multiplier, it is done in GIMP, and more or less painted. Others may be more help with baking.

2048 is a tad excessive for objects. How big is the mask? I have seen where a small mask can affect the texture. Don't know why, but have seen it.

After reading your post again, I may have missed your original meaning. That you can see thru a few areas, could be that the mesh normals are reversed. I use 2.80, which has "face orientation" setting. Don't know if 2.79 has that. You can look it up on Blender site. I have had Blender flip normals when using "mirror" in Blender... it mirrors everything for some reason.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Mar 2023 at 8:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
When I say that I do not bake in Blender, perhaps I should have said I do not bake multipliers at all. Once, maybe 3 years ago, I baked a shadow. ))) If I make a multiplier, it is done in GIMP, and more or less painted. Others may be more help with baking.

2048 is a tad excessive for objects. How big is the mask? I have seen where a small mask can affect the texture. Don't know why, but have seen it.

After reading your post again, I may have missed your original meaning. That you can see thru a few areas, could be that the mesh normals are reversed. I use 2.80, which has "face orientation" setting. Don't know if 2.79 has that. You can look it up on Blender site. I have had Blender flip normals when using "mirror" in Blender... it mirrors everything for some reason.

Thank you so much, it fixed the invisible mesh parts! Yeah, I watched a video suggesting that the bigger the image file, the better the texture would turn out. The mask is the same size - 2048 was recommended in the tut I watched In the tutorial, their objects were much smaller than mine (a wine bottle and some kind of parfait).
Forum Resident
#6 Old 4th Mar 2023 at 5:33 PM
Thank you so much, it fixed the invisible mesh parts! Yeah, I watched a video suggesting that the bigger the image file, the better the texture would turn out. The mask is the same size - 2048 was recommended in the tut I watched In the tutorial, their objects were much smaller than mine (a wine bottle and some kind of parfait).

Which fixed it? Flip normals for that section?

Not sure what tutorial you watched that recommended 2048 x 2048 UV mapping? Although, many Russian creators seem to use that size map, it really is overkill, especially for objects. 1024 x 1024 is usually sufficient. Things like long rails, can be done similar to how EA makes fence sections. Each section is positioned on the UV map so it will have a continuous texture when placed end to end. This can be done with something like a long railing by cutting and overlaying the sections.

Also, in TSRW, you can change the x, y size. Many objects are 2 x 2. You can adjust this to 3 x 3, 4 x 4, or whatever looks best.

This is a link to basic UV mapping...

UV mapping