Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 4:09 PM
Default Is Origin always a must for sims 4 to run?
Every time I launch sims 4 it forces me log into origin or the sims 4 won't start. I bought my sims 4 from store so... This isn't like simcity 2013 that you must have origin always, riight? Because I installed my game and now I seriously just want to uninstal the origin. I don't want Ea's spyware on my pc , it also messes up my sims 3 launcher. I want it out.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 4:12 PM
Nope. Origin required. I hear you can set it offline and/or disable internet connection but it still collects info to send when connection's reestablished.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 4:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ldms510
Nope. Origin required. I hear you can set it offline and/or disable internet connection but it still collects info to send when connection's reestablished.

aww man. Why do they force that stupid program Which ever Ea game I'd play it's always the same song
"ooh, install our origin, come on, if you have an account install it, if not you can make yourself an account right now, so come on and install, install, install it!!!!"
Theorist
#4 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 4:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PuffyAmi
Every time I launch sims 4 it forces me log into origin or the sims 4 won't start. I bought my sims 4 from store so... This isn't like simcity 2013 that you must have origin always, riight? Because I installed my game and now I seriously just want to uninstal the origin. I don't want Ea's spyware on my pc , it also messes up my sims 3 launcher. I want it out.

Yeah, the definition of "offline" has changed.

I take the literal translation of the word. To be offline means there is no internet connection between my computer and my ISP. If I attempt to go anywhere online, Windoze is going to spit out errors telling me that I'm not connected to the internet or that there is a problem with my internet connection.

However, in the land of EA, 'offline' now means that as long as you are not connected to the internet via Origin, this is 'offline'. The spin of this word is complete and utter bullshit.

I just saw something about this on the official forum. Somebody asked about this very thing, and one of the responses was:

Quote:
You can play it without internet connection. Just click on the icon and type in your password and you're offline now.

Then there is this one:

Quote:
You DO NOT need to be connected to the internet to sign in to Origin. You can sign in offline, the game will still allow you to click on it to play but if there are any new updates you will not get them until the next time you connect to the internet. People are panicking because they think they have to be connected to login in to Origin an this is not the case

If you are offline, you do not need a password, ( unless your computer is locked and requires one to do anything), nor do you need to sign in to anything.

I'm not mud flinging here, but it makes me crazy that somehow being offline means you have to go online to tell a program to be offline.

The thread I quoted from is here
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 8:52 PM
I'm not one to complain about RAM usage considering how much of it I (and the majority of mid-range computers available today) have. But I just want to mention that Origin is perhaps a bit too much of a RAM hog for the function it serves. Right now, Origin is using 97,104 KB (~94 MB) of RAM on my system after approximately 10 hours of running it. Origin usually climbs to just under 200 MB after running a while, suggesting there's a memory leak. To compare, I've had Steam running on my PC for nearly half a month of runtime and it's eating up only 26,196 KB (~25.5 MB) of RAM.

I would consider Steam's RAM usage also slightly high, but still in a very tolerable range. This, I think, is why people complain about Origin. Couldn't they, you know, make a simpler client that doesn't act like bloatware?
Instructor
#6 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
However, in the land of EA, 'offline' now means that as long as you are not connected to the internet via Origin, this is 'offline'. The spin of this word is complete and utter bullshit. ....

I'm not mud flinging here, but it makes me crazy that somehow being offline means you have to go online to tell a program to be offline.

The thread I quoted from is here

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by going online to go offline. When I'm offline and logging onto Origin, I'm not going online - I'm just logging into the local client.
Theorist
#7 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 9:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by esmesqualor
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by going online to go offline. When I'm offline and logging onto Origin, I'm not going online - I'm just logging into the local client.

If a person has zero interest in the gallery in TS4, why should they have to log into anything other than possibly their computer to play their game? I fail to see the point.
Instructor
#8 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 9:28 PM Last edited by esmesqualor : 7th Sep 2014 at 9:40 PM.
If a person has zero interest in the gallery in TS4, why should they have to log into anything other than possibly their computer to play their game? I fail to see the point.

I agree. But, I thought we we're talking about how, after the initial activation, you don't need to have internet access to log into Origin and play the game. I would rather not have to log into Origin, heck, I would rather not have Origin, but, they weren't wrong in saying you can play the game without internet access (once it's been validated). I'm not sure why I've been reading 'have to go online to go offline'. Unless we're talking about the initial validation - which they said would be the case.

Edit: Or, people are assuming they are going online when they are logging into the offline version of Origin installed on their computer. (Guessing here)

Again, I hate having to do this, too. But it would be incorrect to say you need an internet connection to play the game.
Theorist
#9 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 9:41 PM
I agree. But, I thought we we're talking about how, after the initial activation, you don't need to have internet access to log into Origin and play the game. I would rather not have to log into Origin, heck, I would rather not have Origin, but, they weren't wrong in saying you can play the game without internet access (once it's been validated). I'm not sure why I've been reading 'have to go online to go offline'. Unless we're talking about the initial validation - which they said would be the case.

If I use the launcher in TS3, I have to log in, but I avoid the launcher as much as possible. It's easier to convert everything that can be converted to package files which has a secondary benefit of files being smaller in size. Outside of the launcher, I click a shortcut on my desktop and I'm in game. I guess it's just me, but I enjoy the simplicity of it and prefer to keep it that way. If it were that I had to log in every time, I would have stopped playing a long time ago.

I'm never going to be Origin friendly so my point is moot.
Test Subject
#10 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 9:47 PM

Edit: Or, people are assuming they are going online when they are logging into the offline version of Origin installed on their computer. (Guessing here)

Again, I hate having to do this, too. But it would be incorrect to say you need an internet connection to play the game.

But by needing to go online to validate the game in order to play it it means that the game REQUIRES the internet to play, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Forcing players to log on to another program to even play the game at all, especially a program as craptastic and prone to crashing as Origin, is beyond flaming piles of poop stupid. It's EA failing at their entire business model... again.

It's also why I refuse to buy the game: they either need to stop lying about the requirements or put out a patch that fixes their stupidity. My Sims computer does not have internet access in any form, so these supposed 'does not need the internet to play' claims of theirs are false, as proved by everyone who has even installed the game, and that made me so glad I held off on buying the game. I hate it when companies intentionally lie about their products.
Instructor
#11 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 9:47 PM
If I use the launcher in TS3, I have to log in, but I avoid the launcher as much as possible. It's easier to convert everything that can be converted to package files which has a secondary benefit of files being smaller in size. Outside of the launcher, I click a shortcut on my desktop and I'm in game. I guess it's just me, but I enjoy the simplicity of it and prefer to keep it that way. If it were that I had to log in every time, I would have stopped playing a long time ago.

I'm never going to be Origin friendly so my point is moot.

You and me both.

Oh RiverDaughter, you said it!!!

Is it not better to be counted among the strange rather than the incurably stupid? ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Instructor
#12 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 9:55 PM
Okay - so far, nothing is different then what we we're told by EA. That is 1 - you need Origin, 2 - you need internet access to validate the game through Origin, and 3 - once validated you do not need to have any internet access to play the game. This is what we were told, this is what is going on.

I am not defending Origin or EA, nor am I trying to convince anyone that they should love it - I certainly don't. If anyone figures out to bypass it, I'm there! But from this convo, I feel pretty safe in saying EA hasn't changed the definition of 'offline' nor do you need to 'go online to go offline'.
dodgy builder
#13 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 10:07 PM
I did see a tick box in the options to not require Origin to log on. I thought the gallery and library could be useful though. Earlier I was told I was offline by the game, I found that rather odd considering there was nothing wrong with my connection. I bought CD's and expect to be able to play without internet if I ever ended up in dire straits.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 10:22 PM
I purchased the digital version of the sims 4 and the other day my internet went out, but was still able to play ts4 offline with no problems.
Theorist
#15 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 10:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RiverDaughter
But by needing to go online to validate the game in order to play it it means that the game REQUIRES the internet to play, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Forcing players to log on to another program to even play the game at all, especially a program as craptastic and prone to crashing as Origin, is beyond flaming piles of poop stupid. It's EA failing at their entire business model... again.

It's also why I refuse to buy the game: they either need to stop lying about the requirements or put out a patch that fixes their stupidity. My Sims computer does not have internet access in any form, so these supposed 'does not need the internet to play' claims of theirs are false, as proved by everyone who has even installed the game, and that made me so glad I held off on buying the game. I hate it when companies intentionally lie about their products.

I agree with you...

For those that want to read more, I encourage you to read and understand how Origin works.

Quote:
NOTE: If you remove Origin, you will lose accessibility and playability to any downloaded games and manuals until you reinstall Origin.

http://help.ea.com/en/article/manua...talling-origin/

Playing with a physical copy also requires Orign in part.

As somebody much wiser than I has said " No Origin, no game!"
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 12:54 AM

The problem, from my own point of view, is that there really -isn't- an 'offline version' of Origin. Which is to say, I can find no way to set Origin so that it -stays- offline. To elaborate: I can't set it so that when I start Origin up, it starts in offline mode. It always starts in online mode, has opportunity to 'phone home' with whatever advertising info it wants to share, and then I can set it to 'offline' mode. Which lasts precisely until I exit Origin. The next time I start Origin, it will again go online and remain so until I specifically take it offline. Again.

Yes, I could do something like block it via firewall, but I'd rather not have to mess with the firewall rules every time I actually want to let Origin talk to download a new update or whatnot. (Like most people, I have an 'always on' internet connection, unless something's gone wrong.)

If this is actually a glitch and 'offline mode' is supposed to be a persistent setting (as I'd like it to be) then I hope to learn how to fix that. Otherwise, I feel that Origin's 'running offline' is a sham.
Instructor
#17 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 1:55 AM
Ayradyss, you can disable your always online connection. I don't play my game on-line, I always disconnect from the internet before playing.

Is it not better to be counted among the strange rather than the incurably stupid? ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Instructor
#18 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 2:04 AM Last edited by esmesqualor : 8th Sep 2014 at 2:24 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Ayradyss
The problem, from my own point of view, is that there really -isn't- an 'offline version' of Origin. Which is to say, I can find no way to set Origin so that it -stays- offline. To elaborate: I can't set it so that when I start Origin up, it starts in offline mode. It always starts in online mode, has opportunity to 'phone home' with whatever advertising info it wants to share, and then I can set it to 'offline' mode. Which lasts precisely until I exit Origin. The next time I start Origin, it will again go online and remain so until I specifically take it offline. Again.

Yes, I could do something like block it via firewall, but I'd rather not have to mess with the firewall rules every time I actually want to let Origin talk to download a new update or whatnot. (Like most people, I have an 'always on' internet connection, unless something's gone wrong.)

If this is actually a glitch and 'offline mode' is supposed to be a persistent setting (as I'd like it to be) then I hope to learn how to fix that. Otherwise, I feel that Origin's 'running offline' is a sham.

Okay, but even that is different from the statements I was questioning and doesn't really change what I said. ETA: But I'm glad you pointed out that if you currently have an internet connection, Origin will open in online mode. I was trying to get clarification, and this explains what was meant by 'logging in to log out," so, thank you.

And just to be clear, I hate the Origin requirement too.