Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Sep 2018 at 9:58 AM Last edited by sweetdevil : 5th Sep 2018 at 5:27 PM.
Default [Solved] Hair transparency issues (inside of hair turns invisible)
I'm stumped about another hair...

There's this hair I'm trying to convert to child and toddler, but the inside of the hair just disappears when in focus (pics attached below, right side of her head).
This happens to LODs 1-3, but LOD0 seems to be fine. This is also an issue with the original, unmodified hair (which is for adult females).
Oddly enough, Milkshape displays it properly.

The extra data seems OK (255 in all fields), and I even tried copying the comments from an EA hair, to no avail. I've also tried copying the comments from LOD0 to LOD1, and still nothing.
To explain why I don't want to use LOD0: it's because it's super high poly and I want to use LOD1 instead of it, then LOD3 for the other ones.

I'm out of ideas on what could be the cause of this and don't even know what to search for in tutorials :/ If someone knows what could be the cause of this, I'd be very grateful!
Screenshots

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 2nd Sep 2018 at 6:15 PM
Could I check the hair out myself? I'm still waiting for a new charger for my new one because the old one broke in less than a year so i'm on the old one and it overheats and turns off quickly on high performance even when I play Sims 2 which is kind of an old game so yeah it's kind of a trashy laptop but it should get the job done. What hair did you convert that from because I need that info as a reference? And how did the hair that you were previously working on go for you?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Sep 2018 at 10:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Squidconqueror
Could I check the hair out myself? I'm still waiting for a new charger for my new one because the old one broke in less than a year so i'm on the old one and it overheats and turns off quickly on high performance even when I play Sims 2 which is kind of an old game so yeah it's kind of a trashy laptop but it should get the job done. What hair did you convert that from because I need that info as a reference? And how did the hair that you were previously working on go for you?

Well, this hair is pretty high poly (16k for LOD0), so you might encounter some issues (I remember you mentioning you prefer lower-poly hairs): http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/1425565

Here's the .package child conversion, with all LODs resized: http://www.simfileshare.net/download/687550/
Here's the .ms3d file with the meshes: http://www.simfileshare.net/download/687554/

I know there's some parts that don't connect with the forehead; I left those for until after I could figure out this transparency (?) issue.

Also to explain what I did: the hair normally has 4 LODs, each with its own separate mesh, but:
- I used the original's LOD1 instead of LOD0, original's LOD2 instead of LOD1, and original's LOD3 for LODs 2-3; that's why the .ms3d file shows only 3 LODs.
- the original hair has LOD0 and LOD1 with two groups each; since one is just a triangle, I can only assume S-Club used a hat hair as their base when cloning and needed something to import into that dummy group in TSRW. Since those are useless, I left them out altogether.

As for the previous hair (this one, I assume?), I've semi-given up on figuring it out and may release it as-is in the end - with screenshots showing off the clipping, of course.

Thank you for taking the time to look at these Let me know if you need any other info/files.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Scholar
#4 Old 3rd Sep 2018 at 5:36 AM Last edited by Squidconqueror : 3rd Sep 2018 at 7:19 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
Well, this hair is pretty high poly (16k for LOD0), so you might encounter some issues (I remember you mentioning you prefer lower-poly hairs): http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/1425565

Here's the .package child conversion, with all LODs resized: http://www.simfileshare.net/download/687550/
Here's the .ms3d file with the meshes: http://www.simfileshare.net/download/687554/

I know there's some parts that don't connect with the forehead; I left those for until after I could figure out this transparency (?) issue.

Also to explain what I did: the hair normally has 4 LODs, each with its own separate mesh, but:
- I used the original's LOD1 instead of LOD0, original's LOD2 instead of LOD1, and original's LOD3 for LODs 2-3; that's why the .ms3d file shows only 3 LODs.
- the original hair has LOD0 and LOD1 with two groups each; since one is just a triangle, I can only assume S-Club used a hat hair as their base when cloning and needed something to import into that dummy group in TSRW. Since those are useless, I left them out altogether.

As for the previous hair (this one, I assume?), I've semi-given up on figuring it out and may release it as-is in the end - with screenshots showing off the clipping, of course.

Thank you for taking the time to look at these Let me know if you need any other info/files.

I'm on the old laptop right now so it overheats,craps out and shuts itself down when I play on high performance after just a short while even on Sims 2 and I had forgotten to mention that it messes up all my progress in the game in the process because it would either freeze or crash the game whenever it does that which is annoying and irritating. My newer laptop doesn't have that sort of problem so I mainly use the old one to play old games on. The reason i'm not on that one now is like I said i'm still waiting for my new charger. My dad told me to tell him when it arrives like almost a week ago but it still hadn't arrived yet so i'll be on the lookout for that. I just prefer lower poly cc because it's much faster to load the game with. With higher poly items it just makes the game load slower and makes the game run choppy. I may take another look at your previous hair once I get my new charger and test out your new hair conversion because the one i'm using is crappy for the reasons stated above and I had to use power saver mode to keep it from overheating which makes the game run slower. That and it's a cheap Intel Celeron which wasn't even made for gaming on in the first place so maybe that's why it keeps on overheating and shutting off. Other then that i'm more then glad to help you out on this.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Sep 2018 at 9:24 PM
Update: I may have figured it out? I think LODs 1-3 were missing their undersides. This tutorial helped me out, particularly step six: http://ikari-sims.tumblr.com/post/7...-hair-to-sims-3

From what I've seen, LOD0 has undersides, but LOD1 doesn't. The first picture below was taken after making the undersides for LOD1, and the second is taken after making the undersides for LOD3. Now, since LOD3 looks very decent, I think I'm going to use that for LODs 0 and 1, and an EA mesh for LODs 2 and 3. I'm assuming the crunchy bits on the second pic are due to the underside overlapping the base layer, so I'll see if I can move the bits around a bit tomorrow.
Screenshots

Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#6 Old 5th Sep 2018 at 11:04 AM
Hi @sweetdevil !

Just a small heads up for the next time, because I sometimes was wondering why gaps appeared in my meshes even though I could have sworn there were vertices there, is the fact that TS3 doesn't render backfaces. So say, we have one plane mesh, the front will have a texture however the back will be invisible. So in-game (even though it's a Blender picture :P) basically:

Even though in milkshape or Blender it looks like:

But it sounds understandable why LOD0 would have them, as it's the super high level of details, which is really common with hair. Now another thing that you could do (And I used to do that myself, although it really depends if the hair itself isn't +30k in poly or so is to use LOD0 also on LOD1... if that makes sense :P. So, technically reusing the LOD0 mesh on LOD1. I think LOD2 and LOD3 already are too far away to really see specific details since Level of details is mainly based on how far you zoom out. the further you zoom out, the crappier the mesh looks, the less the computer has to put in it's rendering power, the less fried computers! :D
Alchemist
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Sep 2018 at 12:04 PM
@Lyralei Thank you for the explanation! I think it also explains why LOD1 is around 10k instead of LOD0's 16k?
I was also thinking about creating an underside from a polycount-reduced version of LOD1, but I haven't had the chance to work on it yet.

I might go ahead and reuse LOD0 for LOD1 (and LOD3 for LODs 2-3), though, this initiative was mostly done out of curiosity to figure out why it was happening
Now that I think about it, 16k isn't even that much for a hair, I've seen some in the 30k range

Either way, thank you again for helping out <3

Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#8 Old 5th Sep 2018 at 2:25 PM
Lol yeah with hairs you really don't have to bother as much with the polycounts, I think EA's highest Polycount hair itself was... ~16k? There could be one that might be a bit more so I guess with braids I can still understand they might be higher than usual though. They're not that easy to mesh either!

And you're very welcome! If I can, I will still try checking out that other hairstyle you were working on since I'm working on one myself but I guess we'll see