Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th May 2019 at 9:14 PM
Default Adding Recolors to my own converted object.
Hello all, I wanted to know if anyone could help me with adding recolors to a object I converted from ts4. I created the object, and another person advised me it is simular to that. However, the tutorial from here is quite old. Thank You for any help.

(I've attached the file if anyone would like to take a look at it)
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Ultrasound WIP.rar (20.0 KB, 10 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th May 2019 at 11:19 PM
To make recolors, go to object workshop, choose "open..." and find the mesh, click "recolor". SimPE makes the file. Make your texture, and use either DXT3 to import it (because Import and DXT1 gives you a grainy result, and DXT5 isn't neccessary unless there's transparency). Then save the file.

There aren't a lot of other ways to recolor objects.

EDIT: The tutorial Jo linked below still woks fine, though use DXT3 for a better result.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 10th May 2019 at 11:21 PM
I know you have been linked to this one http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=102356
What about it makes you not want to use it? It's still the correct way to recolour.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#4 Old 11th May 2019 at 12:55 AM
Or.. do they mean that it can't be recolored - get the not designable pop up in game? That's a bit different than just recoloring. I'm not on my computer so can't take a look....
Mad Poster
#5 Old 11th May 2019 at 3:25 AM
The file has a MMAT so in theory should be recolorable (I haven't tested).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th May 2019 at 5:53 AM Last edited by RainMilk : 11th May 2019 at 7:25 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
The file has a MMAT so in theory should be recolorable (I haven't tested).

I'm dumb, that's why haha. Thank you for the help, however the 'Build DXT" is grayed out for me

*I googled it and figured it out. Doing test now
**I did the recolor but Once I build DXT and I updated to all sizes and the result was the frame turned white {It would not show recolor otherwise}
Mad Poster
#7 Old 11th May 2019 at 1:03 PM
You don't need to do "update all sizes" because the DXT method does this for you (DXT even allows you to import a bigger or smaller size). I never do "update all sizes" when using DXT, because it can cause issues. And remember to choose "none" under sharpen in the DXT options.

Also, make sure you're using the proper picture size. TS2 can only work with certain sizes, the more common ones being 128, 256, 512, or 1024 for each side (so 512x512 or 256x512 or 1024x512, or any similar combination). If you're just one pixel off (for instance 511x1025), the texture won't work and the file may cause errors.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th May 2019 at 9:37 PM Last edited by RainMilk : 11th May 2019 at 9:59 PM.
You don't need to do "update all sizes" because the DXT method does this for you (DXT even allows you to import a bigger or smaller size). I never do "update all sizes" when using DXT, because it can cause issues. And remember to choose "none" under sharpen in the DXT options.

Also, make sure you're using the proper picture size. TS2 can only work with certain sizes, the more common ones being 128, 256, 512, or 1024 for each side (so 512x512 or 256x512 or 1024x512, or any similar combination). If you're just one pixel off (for instance 511x1025), the texture won't work and the file may cause errors.

Okay- the one to use the build DXT on is the last texture? Mine is 256x512 that one?

*When I do it to that one, the recolor doesn't show up.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 11th May 2019 at 10:13 PM
Make sure its a png picture not a jpg.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 11th May 2019 at 10:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Make sure its a png picture not a jpg.

Yup, its a png.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#11 Old 11th May 2019 at 11:03 PM
Are you remembering to commit? If you don't the new texture won't be saved and it will revert to the default texture.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 11th May 2019 at 11:24 PM Last edited by RainMilk : 11th May 2019 at 11:51 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
Are you remembering to commit? If you don't the new texture won't be saved and it will revert to the default texture.

Oh my gosh, I'm a idiot. Testing now. Thank You

*That was it, it really takes a village. But like the problem before, the frame is white. It doesn't look bad but I wanted it black
Attached are the textures for the original (2 bb) and the recolor (1bb) all I did was override the picture and edited the size (original was 128x256) to 256x512
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#13 Old 12th May 2019 at 12:33 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 12th May 2019 at 12:47 AM.
Well... if you want the frame to be black, you'll have to recolor the frame to be black. The texture in your mesh file is black, so you should be able to use that one as a base. If you're using a program that can handle layers (like Photoshop or Gimp) you can either erase or mask out the parts you don't want, and make recolors with black frames that way.

Another alternative would be to separate the frame and picture, so you can have multiple frame recolors, but that's a it more advanced (requires you to add a recolorable subset - it's probably a good idea to figure out recoloring and get comfy with object creation before you tackle that particular beast).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 13th May 2019 at 12:43 AM
Well... if you want the frame to be black, you'll have to recolor the frame to be black. The texture in your mesh file is black, so you should be able to use that one as a base. If you're using a program that can handle layers (like Photoshop or Gimp) you can either erase or mask out the parts you don't want, and make recolors with black frames that way.

Another alternative would be to separate the frame and picture, so you can have multiple frame recolors, but that's a it more advanced (requires you to add a recolorable subset - it's probably a good idea to figure out recoloring and get comfy with object creation before you tackle that particular beast).

I see. Thanks to everyone who help me and my dumbness.