Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jul 2018 at 12:41 PM
Default Seeking a world built for performance first
Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out and point me in the right direction. I'm looking for a world that is built primarily for lower-end computers, but still has all/most of the rabbit holes and plenty of room for lots. I don't mind the barren look so preferably something with no greenery or cosmetic accents etc. Populated or not it doesn't matter, I have a lineup of sims going back to Sims 2 that i always add to my worlds anyways. I imagine that this would probably be something that I could make on my own, but I've never created a world and my building talents are pretty much zilch so as always, I'm entirely dependent on the community here. I've looked high and low on the web for something that would suit my needs but with no luck so I think I'm looking for a unicorn but hopefully someone else who is in a similar boat can point me in the direction of a good world that comes close to what I'm looking for. Thanks.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 19th Jul 2018 at 1:22 PM
I wish I could help. Looking for something similar myself.

Thanks, I hate it.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 19th Jul 2018 at 1:29 PM
I'm on my third generation of Eltham's Drift and everything's still running smoothly. We are running out of room for lots, though, but that's also because my elders keep living forever (or so it feels like to me, anyway).

http://www.digitalperversion.net/ga...p?topic=27408.0
Scholar
#4 Old 19th Jul 2018 at 1:31 PM
It would be really helpful if you'd tell us what kind of "low-level computer" you have in mind. Because "low lewel" may mean very different things. And which expansions you have installed, because if your "low level" is really low, that may be too much itself no matter what, for the machine to handle.

Anyway - you should aim for small/medium worlds with limited number of lots, because lots, may add a lot (no pun intended) to the world "weight". Bear in mind that worlds' game-wise efficiency is somewhat tricky, small worlds with broken routing, errors in lots etc. may be nightmare. There's a lot of factors like number of lots, theirs quality and placement, spawners, emitters (like fog for example), obviously sims (big population shall kill any machine), expected routing patterns (some worlds seems to be build without considering that little detail) and many other things.

And definitelly you *need* to install proper amount of brain-and-game-friendly mods. With Nraas basics (MC/Register/Traffic/ErrorTrap/Overwatch) for the start and the minor simple fixes (no-CD, start movie/logo stopper, and little sanity-check type) as needed for playing life quality ( http://nraas.wikispaces.com ).

for worlds look there:
http://sims3customworlds.tumblr.com
http://www.mysimrealty.com
and
[* this very site *] including numerous topics like "best worlds for..."

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 19th Jul 2018 at 3:32 PM
I agree with MrTwoPlums... some worlds are really beautiful and the houses show a lot of artistic talent and building skill, but clicking more than 3 times to just get through the roof is just insane. Also, even the most beautifully made house is pointless if it doesn't render because too many triangles. It just looks like a huge sliding puzzle on the ground until you get right on it and it renders.
Neverglade was like that... lots of great content but it didn't play well.
And the Goth house in Sunset Valley ... nice, until you play it and find your sims go outside to do an interaction because there's no place in the house where they can throw a potion, read a mind, cast a spell, etc.

Sims are better than us.
Theorist
#7 Old 19th Jul 2018 at 3:35 PM
I've heard turning off memories helps.

I have a so so computer which is DEFINITELY not a gaming laptop but all my Sims 3 stuff is now digital and works pretty well. (I had all discs but slowly bought them all digital from Steam).

I also now have 8 gbs of Ram which helped.

The biggest issue(s) I have when I download a custom world is not having all the stuff or EP packs to run the world.

Small worlds link from Lana Sims:
http://sssvitlans.tumblr.com/tagged/s3world%20small

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 19th Jul 2018 at 3:53 PM
At the Simszoo are many worlds designed for lower end computers or players that don't have all EPs/SPs.
The world catalogue is here: http://simszoo.de/include.php?path=...catid=62&type=6
You can filter for small or medium sized worlds which in general should run better than large worlds.

Free registration is required for download though, let me know if you need help with that!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st Jul 2018 at 3:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
It would be really helpful if you'd tell us what kind of "low-level computer" you have in mind. Because "low lewel" may mean very different things. And which expansions you have installed, because if your "low level" is really low, that may be too much itself no matter what, for the machine to handle.

Sorry about that. I'm running Win 8.1 64bit, with an AMD A6 4400M APU with Radeon HD 2.70 GHz processor w/ 6GB ram. Not the worst machine and I know others play on even slower comps, but I'm hoping to maximize the playability of the game. If I have to clearcut a million trees to squeeze in one more sim, I'll do it.

Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
And definitelly you *need* to install proper amount of brain-and-game-friendly mods. With Nraas basics (MC/Register/Traffic/ErrorTrap/Overwatch) for the start and the minor simple fixes (no-CD, start movie/logo stopper, and little sanity-check type) as needed for playing life quality ( http://nraas.wikispaces.com ).

I have all those goodies already, but thanks. These game saving mods can never be mentioned too often in case anyone else stumbling in here isn't aware of them. I've also disabled memories plus all the other little tricks that people have suggested for improving gameplay.

Quote: Originally posted by Norn
At the Simszoo are many worlds designed for lower end computers or players that don't have all EPs/SPs.
The world catalogue is here: http://simszoo.de/include.php?path=...catid=62&type=6
You can filter for small or medium sized worlds which in general should run better than large worlds.

Free registration is required for download though, let me know if you need help with that!

Thanks for this link. It's a site I've never stumbled across before. I've downloaded Einfache Bauwelt Z http://simszoo.de/include.php?path=...contentid=39526. It seems to be the closest I've been able to find for what I'm looking for. Unfortunately it's huge! But I'm definitely going to give it a go and hopefully all the empty (but blessedly treeless) space doesn't cause much of a problem. Combining all the rabbitholes into a single lot as suggested by nitromon will help as well.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think this is going to work out with minimal building (my least favourie part of the game). If it doesn't, then maybe it's time I bit the bullet, learned CAW and built the unicorn I was looking for and finally make something worthwhile that I could give back to the community. Happy simming everybody!
Scholar
#10 Old 21st Jul 2018 at 5:06 PM
That pseudo-2 core CPU may be the problem if you won't keep machine clean to run the game. But I assume you know how to release memory and CPU from services and processes you do not need. I personally used to play disconnected from the Internet which allows to disable and make dormant most of security services (antivir software e.g.), you just need to remember to enable them after ofc.

Problems with additional space in big worlds may rise if there's something in said space which attracts sims of any kind (spawners mostly and particular lots like "fishing spot"). And of course horses (and extra-horses, AKA unicorns) and strays have a kind of habit to wander into most stupid place possible. I usually just dissalow them to exists or set theirs number to really low, like "one cat, one dog, and no horses" low . Horses because of theirs size tends to stuck in obstacles sometimes, so good we have no elephants and dinos in the game.

If there's nothing to do in these empty spaces, sims won't go there until you direct them. Big worlds also tends to have more spawners than others (with notable exceotion of mysimsreality worlds, which have enormous number of spawners and effects usually, no matter of size, I've never used these worlds without cleaning them in CAW or at last removing most of the garbage with MC ingame)

Combining rabbitholes is something what needs a bit of experimentation, there're certain benefits of some existing shells like more than one "entry" which reduces traffic problems while rugs have only one "entry" (but you may place them almost exactly as you wish). Using "the shell in the basement" trick have a bit of cost - the sims does a pause between transitions (like entering the stairs), if there're many sims which wants to use the stairs it may lead to the problems. So: it's like trial and error case.

At the end of the day it's up to you what you deem worthwhile, and what solution shall suit you best.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 21st Jul 2018 at 5:40 PM
Yeah, I use a gamebooster and another program to clean up my ram that helps a bit. Luckily the world I found only has a couple spawners in one spot and no fancy effects. Using Nraas' mods I've turned off all animals except for a single unicorn so that shouldn't cause me any trouble and everything I do put into the world will be localized to one area so hopefully nobody will go wandering off to areas with nothing there. I've never messed around with rabbithole rugs before so for now I'm going with the stock ones plus a couple that others have made that already combine a few and I won't start messing with that unless I really need to. I don't really foresee me having any problems until my population explodes (I have a mod that's probably not safe to name here, but it leads to lots of babies. Luckily I have some other mods that make bumping off excess sims fun). So far things look good, but I haven't really started playing yet, mostly building atm and a bit of testing. Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it and hopefully anyone else that has had similar issues will come across this thread and it helps them too. I'd love to play some of the worlds out there, there are some truly gorgeous creations, but until I can drop the $ on a better computer I need to keep things as slim as possible.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 21st Jul 2018 at 6:17 PM
I found that the size of the world can be less of an issue if it didn't have lots placed in CAW and was unpopulated until you move sims into the town in your save file and you can set a limit on how many lots get placed in blank worlds and limit the population if you use most of the NRaas Mods.I play most of my games in empty worlds and prefer blank ones where the blank lots have to be placed in a save and built on after being added to the world like Evermore Falls.