Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

XCAS core mod: more tattoo locations, edit naked outfit, slider hack, body hair, more - update 5/23/16 Steam version added.

by CmarNYC Posted 15th Feb 2011 at 5:58 PM - Updated 23rd May 2016 at 3:53 PM by CmarNYC : Steam support added

1691 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 1273 Feedback Posts, 417 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 11 of 68
Test Subject
#251 Old 28th Aug 2011 at 10:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Thanks!

First, some basics on how the bodies/clothing/skins work. In any outfit, it starts with the mesh. This is the shape of the body, including clothes, if any. (There's no separate nude body underneath all the outfits.) Then the skin texture is painted on the mesh. Then the clothing texture, with colors, patterns, etc. is painted on top of the skin, allowing skin to show through in transparent areas. Accessories may be painted between the skin and the clothing textures, depending on the type of accessory.

The default nude outfit is simply an outfit, like any other, which happens to look like a nude body with a completely transparent clothing texture. In the case of the Kibbles & Bits outfits, like regular clothing they have a texture for the nipples and pubes which is painted over the skin texture. Editing the nude outfit does not change the base skin texture.

It sounds like you're using the Kibbles & Bits nude clothing, rather than the accessories. As you saw, this results in the bits only being worn while wearing the nude outfit. In order to get the bits under sheer clothing, you'll need to use the accessories version of the bits and modify each outfit.

Whether you use MasterController or XCAS to edit the nude outfit in CAS makes no difference - they both do the same thing.

Since skins are completely separate from the clothing and accessories textures, including the Kibbles & Bits clothing/accessories, you can't extract the nude outfit as a skin.

Hope all this helps!

Ok thank you for explaining this. You are the first person who's managed to make sense of this for me.

I see that part of my wrong thinking was trying to think of EVERYTHING in layers. I was thinking body mesh overrode all and that skin and then clothing textures were layered on top of some kind of base mesh or modified mesh if you are using one. Like a 3d nipple mesh. So now I am assuming from looking at some programs that have to do with creating clothing and patterns there is only one actual 3d mesh layer, so there is no way to layer a texture, weather it's a skin, clothing, or tattoo or whatnot, over or under something else with a mesh and tell it's mesh properties to take precedence I assume? Interesting.

Ok so let me ask your opinion about this then. I do actually have his accessories parts downloaded and installed as well, but since I was so brainless about how meshes and textures work and all I never thought to try using the K&B accessory items with the sheer outfits to see if they would show. Anyways, I am wondering since tattoo's by default already show up "in between" clothing and skin as it were, if I took the K&B parts and extracted the textures for the nipples and the "bits", or if I used GIMP perhaps and tried to make my own, would it be possible to make those into tattoo's with colorable channels so that I could apply them as tattoo's and color them as I wanted and then they would span across all clothing choices?

I saw somewhere in another discussion that I think you were involved in that because of the way the game handles tattoo's, the textures come out looking different because of the zooming feature with tattoo's sometimes so I am curious to know if you think this would come out looking ok and how hard it would be to do. :D

In any case thank you for your reply, your explanation has just totally opened my eyes to understanding better how the texture/mesh thing works in game and how it applies to skins and clothing and everything else.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#252 Old 28th Aug 2011 at 3:38 PM
No problem - glad my explanation made sense!

First, in the interests of full disclosure , it IS possible to have an outfit that has a separate body under sheer clothing but this is done by making clothing that consists of two meshes and is neither easy nor perfect. IMO it's not really relevant to what you want to do, which is to add bits on the skin texture that will show in all outfits.

Tattoos have definite possibilities since they are applied directly on the skin, show in all outfits, and are recolorable and resizable. Jrs1317 did make a set of nipple and pubes tattoos and I believe he uploaded them, but SexySims seems to have stalled out for the last weeks/months and that upload is in limbo. You might try posting in the Kibbles thread or PM-ing him here or on SexySims and ask if he could send you the packages.

As for converting the accessories to tattoos or making your own, you could certainly try. Without having looked at the accessories myself, I assume the textures consist of a grayshade base texture and an RGB mask, like clothing. For nipples you could try making a red circle on solid black for the nipple and then taking the base texture and pasting it over the circle with enough transparency to let the red show through, then set up your presets to be three shades of pink and brown. You'd have to experiment. You could also take a photograph and use the Tattooinator Convert function and see how that looks.

For pubes I'm not sure - you'd need an image of the hair itself in red, on a solid black background. IMO you're better off using custom body hair for pubes. If you want to try, I posted some female hairs on MATY and intend to upload them to my body hair for males that's on SexySims, since my female upload there also seems to be indefinitely delayed.
Test Subject
#253 Old 30th Aug 2011 at 9:17 AM
No problem - glad my explanation made sense!

First, in the interests of full disclosure , it IS possible to have an outfit that has a separate body under sheer clothing but this is done by making clothing that consists of two meshes and is neither easy nor perfect. IMO it's not really relevant to what you want to do, which is to add bits on the skin texture that will show in all outfits.

Tattoos have definite possibilities since they are applied directly on the skin, show in all outfits, and are recolorable and resizable. Jrs1317 did make a set of nipple and pubes tattoos and I believe he uploaded them, but SexySims seems to have stalled out for the last weeks/months and that upload is in limbo. You might try posting in the Kibbles thread or PM-ing him here or on SexySims and ask if he could send you the packages.

As for converting the accessories to tattoos or making your own, you could certainly try. Without having looked at the accessories myself, I assume the textures consist of a grayshade base texture and an RGB mask, like clothing. For nipples you could try making a red circle on solid black for the nipple and then taking the base texture and pasting it over the circle with enough transparency to let the red show through, then set up your presets to be three shades of pink and brown. You'd have to experiment. You could also take a photograph and use the Tattooinator Convert function and see how that looks.

For pubes I'm not sure - you'd need an image of the hair itself in red, on a solid black background. IMO you're better off using custom body hair for pubes. If you want to try, I posted some female hairs on MATY and intend to upload them to my body hair for males that's on SexySims, since my female upload there also seems to be indefinitely delayed.

Ok thank you for the suggestions. In the interest of realism maybe i'll look at some good closeup photos and use one in the Tattooinator converter for the nipples and see how it comes out. I believe in the comments for that program you have suggested sizes for a pic being converted to a tattoo so i'll check that also. I'm not really very concerned with the pubes in sheer clothing as most sheer clothing I've seen is mainly concerned with the upper body being sheer, and to be honest with all the color blending being done between skintone, nippletone<is that even a word? LOL> and whatever coloring the clothing is applying, the bluring and blending done by Sims 3 itself makes having a nipple texture applied over the skintone and the clothing come out looking only OK mostly anyways. It seems to loose some detail and look even worse for anything done with the lower body since the outfit colors tend to blend into the colors underneath.

In any case if I have any more questions about this I will post/ask over in your Tattoinator comments thread as the gist of this conversation is trending tword using that program to do what I want.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#254 Old 1st Sep 2011 at 2:22 AM
I'm sorry if this has been covered before, but in the Basics core you say optionally edit the nude outfit. Is there a way to disable that then? I want the slider features but I have kids playing on my computer, don't want any sudden nudies on screen (I know they're barbies by default but their mom would flip on me anyway).
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#255 Old 1st Sep 2011 at 12:55 PM
Totally understood - if you play either version of XCAS and do NOT install the cmar_XCAS_TuningDresserNaked.package, the option for the naked outfit will not show up at all. And probably needless to say, also do NOT install cmar_TattooNude.package. And test before you let the kids loose.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#256 Old 3rd Sep 2011 at 12:01 AM
we need an update for town life
Test Subject
#257 Old 3rd Sep 2011 at 9:18 AM
Default Bug? Maybe?
Getting a weird effect, related directly to adding tattoos to my Sim using the new locations (tested before and after adding them to make sure).

Problem is this: After adding a full jacket of tattoos on my Sim, and either travelling to other countries, or even more frustratingly, reloading a save, my Sim turns jet black, his geometries flip shit, and my outfits all reset to a basic shirt/pants.

If I load a save after the tattoos, but before this glitch, my Sim, and all other Sims, are invisible. I dunno if some driver, somehow, is having issues with this particular mod, but that seems pretty strange. If theres any input, or anyone else who has had this happen.

Got screenshots of it, and can give my version numbers and such, if need be.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#258 Old 3rd Sep 2011 at 5:40 PM
@jb_limited: The latest XCAS is compatible with version 1.24/Town Life.

@Kaalamity: I haven't seen this happen despite loading saves with tattoos in place, and just now I tried sending a sim with a collection of tattoos to Chang Simla and saw nothing wrong. No one else has mentioned a problem yes, either. Can you be more specific about when this happens? Every time you load a save with a sim with tattoos? When you arrive in another country or when you return? A sim turning black usually means a non-default skin he/she uses has been removed - have you done anything with skins recently?

The invisibility sounds even more puzzling - I've never seen that happen. What other mods are you using? Possibly it's a conflict with another core mod. Is it happening with only one sim, or all of them?
Test Subject
#259 Old 3rd Sep 2011 at 9:16 PM
@Kaalamity: I haven't seen this happen despite loading saves with tattoos in place, and just now I tried sending a sim with a collection of tattoos to Chang Simla and saw nothing wrong. No one else has mentioned a problem yes, either. Can you be more specific about when this happens? Every time you load a save with a sim with tattoos? When you arrive in another country or when you return? A sim turning black usually means a non-default skin he/she uses has been removed - have you done anything with skins recently?

The invisibility sounds even more puzzling - I've never seen that happen. What other mods are you using? Possibly it's a conflict with another core mod. Is it happening with only one sim, or all of them?

Thanks for the speedy response!

The problem only occurs with the one Sim that has the tattoos, and it only seems to occur when the character is reloaded, i.e. after travelling loading screens finished, or the game is restarted.

Checked my mods, the only other things I have running are piercing and custom tattoo packages, and I can't imagine how those could effect it.

I should note that the "black skin" is not the same as I've seen in pictures where textures are missing. It literally looks like a fully textured skin, just ash-black.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#260 Old 3rd Sep 2011 at 9:54 PM
Have you tried the same tattoos on another sim?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#261 Old 3rd Sep 2011 at 10:23 PM
Doesn't work with me anymore :\ I have town life but I'm not patching my game.What sould I do?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#262 Old 3rd Sep 2011 at 11:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AoD4909
Doesn't work with me anymore :\ I have town life but I'm not patching my game.What sould I do?

"Doesn't work" isn't much to go on. Are you getting the popup that says it's not compatible, are the XCAS functions not appearing, or are you getting strange behavior in your game?

You really need to patch to the latest version in order to get support.
Test Subject
#263 Old 4th Sep 2011 at 2:44 PM
"Doesn't work" isn't much to go on. Are you getting the popup that says it's not compatible, are the XCAS functions not appearing, or are you getting strange behavior in your game?

You really need to patch to the latest version in order to get support.

I'm getting the popup that says it's not compatible.So I quess I'll have to patch it.
Thanks
Test Subject
#264 Old 6th Sep 2011 at 3:00 AM
Totally understood - if you play either version of XCAS and do NOT install the cmar_XCAS_TuningDresserNaked.package, the option for the naked outfit will not show up at all. And probably needless to say, also do NOT install cmar_TattooNude.package. And test before you let the kids loose.

Thank you!!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#265 Old 18th Sep 2011 at 3:45 PM Last edited by Kittenpaw : 18th Sep 2011 at 4:03 PM.
Hello,

I would like to install this fine looking mod, but get an error whenever I try to do so.

My game is Sims 3, with all 4 expansions up to GENERATIONS, bought through Steam. My game should therefore be up to date with patches, v1.24, if I understood it right.

I downloaded this file, cmar_XCASbasics1.24.zip (since I intend to use it with Twallan's mods later), and set up its content into my My Documents/Mods/packages folder like so (with nothing else in it for now) :

I've installed many other mods querying for v1.24, and each time it went through well, which is why I don't understand why I get this message with yours.

Maybe have I done something wrong though...

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you ^^

EDIT : Out of curiosity, I just tried to install the package for the version below, v1.22, MTS_CmarNYC_1206674_cmar_XCAS1.22v2.zip, like so :

but I get the same error message ><
Top Secret Researcher
#266 Old 18th Sep 2011 at 10:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kittenpaw
My game is Sims 3, with all 4 expansions up to GENERATIONS, bought through Steam.

You may find CmarNYC's comments regarding the Steam version useful : http://www.modthesims.info/download...255#post3604255

NRaas Industries: Sims 3 Mods for the Discerning Player, hosted by The Wikispaces.
Test Subject
#267 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 4:15 AM
Thank you very much, Twallan.

What you are saying is I can install the mod despite the warning/error message, yes ?

I am a huge fan of your mods by the way, just so you know. I'm also saying because I can't get by just installing the tattoo extender mod, because I already have it, with most of your other mods.

I would like to get the extra features of CmarNYC's mod, mainly the sliders, teen body hair and being able to add piercings to my Simette when she is nekkid. I guess I am a bit vain sometimes, especially when playing games ><

Quote: Originally posted by twallan
You may find CmarNYC's comments regarding the Steam version useful : http://www.modthesims.info/download...255#post3604255

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#268 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 5:01 AM
tyvm for this mod :D
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#269 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 12:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kittenpaw
What you are saying is I can install the mod despite the warning/error message, yes ?

I am a huge fan of your mods by the way, just so you know. I'm also saying because I can't get by just installing the tattoo extender mod, because I already have it, with most of your other mods.

I would like to get the extra features of CmarNYC's mod, mainly the sliders, teen body hair and being able to add piercings to my Simette when she is nekkid. I guess I am a bit vain sometimes, especially when playing games ><

Yes, using XCAS is unlikely to cause problems, just back up your game before trying.

However, MasterController does all the things you say you want XCAS for - get the Tattoo Extension and the MC Integration, and set up the options to enable Body Hair For All. To edit the naked outfit, use MC to change the sim to naked, then do Edit in CAS. MC also increases the number of sliders and has a Slider Multiple setting to increase the range of sliders. If you're already using MC with some expansions that might be better for you.
Test Subject
#270 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 8:36 PM
I would like to thank you for these very thorough instructions, and sharing your mod with us in the first place.

I will try to install it despite the warning, and report back if I feel I am experiencing any issues.

Please have a nice day ^^

Yes, using XCAS is unlikely to cause problems, just back up your game before trying.

However, MasterController does all the things you say you want XCAS for - get the Tattoo Extension and the MC Integration, and set up the options to enable Body Hair For All. To edit the naked outfit, use MC to change the sim to naked, then do Edit in CAS. MC also increases the number of sliders and has a Slider Multiple setting to increase the range of sliders. If you're already using MC with some expansions that might be better for you.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#271 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 9:41 AM
Honestly, what I want the most out of this is the female body hair. XD But! the rest is freakin' gorgeous (custom skins, tyvm, was having trouble finding that. tattoo locations! finickier sliders! editing naked outfits is even possible?!), so. Thank you very much! =D
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#272 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 10:25 PM
I put this Mod in the Ea Folder, but I can't update the game so I can use it. Can someone help?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#273 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 11:49 PM
If you can't get the latest patch to work, which happens a lot, try the help for patching: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...lp:TS3_Patching
Test Subject
#274 Old 11th Oct 2011 at 3:31 AM Last edited by deucide : 11th Oct 2011 at 5:56 AM.
been using this mod for a few months, no problem .... installed it on a friends compute, and had a problem. had to format my hdd and reinstalled sims, and put this back in, and had same problem as on friends computer. in CAS, the underwear are still on so you cant see where your placing tatts in those areas i double checked all files are there. re downloaded to be sure i had the newest version. i have all EPs and all stuff packs installed (accept for pets which i am still impatiently waiting on) any clue what could be causing this?
Test Subject
#275 Old 11th Oct 2011 at 4:00 AM
I have tried everything I can think of to get this to work but it just wont. I love this mod I used to use it then I had to reinstall everything and after that the mod did not work. I can see all the custom locations but they dont work. They just snap to the regular locations. I have all ep's and sp's minus townlife and version 1.24... I have checked through all my mods to see if I have a duplicate or something but I don't. I have master controller but not expanded just the regular one which it says they should work together.

I don't know whats wrong...do the EP's and SP's need to be at a certain patch too or just the base game? I don't know what else it could be conflicting with. This is so weird.

EDIT: I don't know if this matters but I just tried to plan the naked outfit from a dresser, and that doesn't work either. I just click it and it makes the click sound in game but nothing happens.

Also I got 2 SP's and GEN off Origin if that matters either. I saw people discussing something about steam versions so wondered if origin is any different.
Page 11 of 68