Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Dec 2010 at 7:01 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3
Default Despite lengthy efforts, CC has not worked for me once (Anyone else use Windows on Macbook?)
I am a 26 year old and I thought I knew how to use computers til I tried installing custom content for Sims 3. I have played Sims with custom content since the first game, and for whatever reason I cannot ever get the custom content to work in Sims 3. I've Googled and read through multiple How-To's, uninstalled and reinstalled and I am beyond frustrated. I have poured literally tens of hours trying to make this work.

Sims startup recognizes a custom house, it's installed into the game, and not in the house bin

I've never had a skin or outfit, hair or prop to ever show up in the game.

To be in the know:

I run Windows 7 64-bit on a MacBook (does anyone else get Windows on a Mac to work with CC?)

My computer has 4 GB of RAM

I get a black start up screen whenever CC is in the Packages folder

Monkey Install Helper never finds the framework

"Resource.cfg" is in the root Sims 3 path as indicated

The path on my computer is C=>Program Files(x86)=>Electronic Arts=>The Sims 3=>Mods=>Packages

I do not place CC in My Documents

What I own:
Sims 3, Ambitions, Late Night

I do check to see if the files I throw in are capable without World Adventures since I don't have it yet. But not a single custom file manages to trickle its way into my game.

I appreciate any help. I'm still hopeful but is it supposed to be this difficult?

-Lucy G
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Dec 2010 at 8:39 AM
Program Files is not the right location anymore. Any guides that still have those instructions are for old game versions. With 1.12 and later, you put the stuff in Documents.

Game Help:Installing Sims 3 Package Fileswiki
Game Help:TS3 CC Basicswiki

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 1st Dec 2010 at 10:37 AM
I run TS3 (with all expansions and patched up to date) on a MacBook using Windows (XP) under Boot Camp, and can confirm that I have no problem with my cc showing up, it all works fine.

I place my cc in [My] Documents\Electronic Arts\Mods\Packages, which is where it goes if you have your game updated to the latest patches (1.12 or later). I've never used the Monkey Helper, but I've read that it's now obsolete as of the most recent patches and no longer works, so that's probably why you're having problems with it, if your game is patched up to date.

So if you follow Hysterical Paroxysm's advice above, you'll hopefully be sorted out! Good luck!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Dec 2010 at 7:51 PM
OK, I moved to the My Doc....Sims3/Mods/Packages. Is the resource.ctf file useless with the new way? I have tried with and without it in the Sims3 folder. The patch is the most up to date. Still no CC. The game now starts up and no black screen but still no custom content either. I have read through those links provided multiple times before so I don't want you to think I'm ignoring them.

Thank you btw for your help. Any other tips?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#5 Old 2nd Dec 2010 at 1:21 AM
The Resource.cfg from the old way is not correct for the new way since it has the file paths different. Make sure to download the new one linked above and place in Mods folder.