Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th May 2018 at 8:41 AM Last edited by HarVee : 3rd Jul 2020 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Update 02-07-2020
Default Maxis Stereo Radio Station Fix [MOD][REL][0.3.0.0]
*Since there is no TS1 download/upload section here, I'm creating a thread for this download.

This is a mod for the original Sims game which restores the Rap, Rave, Disco, Country Dance, and Beach stations for use on these five Maxis stereos.

"Down Wit Dat" Boom Box (Base Game)
Zimantz Component Hi-Fi Stereo (Base Game)
Strings Theory Stereo (Base Game)
Musicphile Giga-Fi Stereo (Superstar EP)
Señor Tinnitis' Box o'Boom (Maxis Official Download/Deluxe)

Apparently Maxis had forgotten to add the stations to those radios and that in turn made the stations only available on the DJ Booth and Jukebox by default. But with this mod, no longer is the case. You can rap, rave, luau, square dance, and get your Oogie Fever on with any default Maxis radio now.

Installation is simple and very easy. The folder structure in the download is setup to indicate where to place these files. None of these radios, with exception of the Señor Tinnitis' Box o'Boom, will overwrite the original files. They will instead act as default replacements and be loaded after the original Maxis stereos.

Here are a few images of Michael Bachelor interacting with the Señor Tinnitis' Box o'Boom to demonstrate:

DOWNLOAD:
SimFileShare

Changelog:
0.1.0.0 - Initial release
0.2.0.0 - Added 'Country Dance' station
0.3.0.0 - Added Spanish translations courtesy of @ed95

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 13th May 2018 at 9:27 AM
I think its intentional that they made stereo-specific stations because of the change in the price, but this modification seems nice for people who want options. Thanks :D
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th May 2018 at 4:36 AM Last edited by HarVee : 14th May 2018 at 5:03 AM.
Posting to say that I was able to figure out how to get the Country Dance station to work. Files and thread have been updated.

Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
I think its intentional that they made stereo-specific stations because of the change in the price, but this modification seems nice for people who want options. Thanks :D

It just seems really weird to me to make stations exclusive that's why I consider this to be a fix.

Lab Assistant
#4 Old 19th May 2018 at 12:15 PM Last edited by ed95 : 19th May 2018 at 12:53 PM.
Thank you! Be it intentional or not, sometimes the 'base' radios are better suited for a style than the jukebox or the DJ booth. Not only that, but it happens that lots of CC radios are cloned or based on these base game radios, so they don't have the new stations!

EDIT: The stations seem to be only in English. Can this mod be translated? I play in Spanish, and easily could write a translation.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st May 2018 at 3:29 PM Last edited by HarVee : 21st May 2018 at 3:42 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by ed95
EDIT: The stations seem to be only in English. Can this mod be translated? I play in Spanish, and easily could write a translation.

It believe it can actually. The TTAs have sections for other languages. If you're willing to translate and do some testing to make sure it works, I'll add them to the mod.

Not only that, but it happens that lots of CC radios are cloned or based on these base game radios, so they don't have the new stations!

CC radios won't pick up this change, unless they're (re)cloned from the edited versions I did. This fix was done by changing the BHAVs and TTABs of the default radios. Due to the way TS1 works internally, every individual piece of CC has its own BHAV and TTAB functions contained within its .iff file, and so older CC radios will need to be updated to have the same changes this mod does. I've already updated a few of my personal favourites from AroundTheSims, but I'm not sure I'm allow to share them.

TL;DR This isn't a global mod, and I'm not sure if global mods are even possible with TS1.

Lab Assistant
#6 Old 22nd May 2018 at 5:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
It believe it can actually. The TTAs have sections for other languages. If you're willing to translate and do some testing to make sure it works, I'll add them to the mod.

Of course I am! Tell me how can send you the translation.

CC radios won't pick up this change, unless they're (re)cloned from the edited versions I did.

Yep, I unfortunately tested it... it's nothing, I will use the mod anyway
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd May 2018 at 7:10 PM Last edited by HarVee : 22nd May 2018 at 7:41 PM.
Of course I am! Tell me how can send you the translation.

Under the spoiler contains the strings that the radios use. Quote this post and replace the lines with your translations. I ask that you keep the three dots [...] and forward slash [/], as keeping those allows the radios to be placed in a submenu.

Lab Assistant
#8 Old 24th May 2018 at 3:21 PM
Here you go! For some strange reason, they called the 'Rave' station 'Tecno' in Spain.

(The verb 'Oir' -Listen- has an accent on the 'i', but apparently this forum doesn't show it properly)

Under the spoiler contains the strings that the radios use. Quote this post and replace the lines with your translations. I ask that you keep the three dots [...] and forward slash [/], as keeping those allows the radios to be placed in a submenu.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Jul 2020 at 11:51 PM Last edited by HarVee : 3rd Jul 2020 at 12:44 AM.
Bumping this thread to say that the Spanish translations are done. I had honestly forgot to upload them. Mod has been updated a new version containing these translations. Hopefully they work as I don't play in Spanish and couldn't test them.

I am looking for more translators. So if you're fluent in a language that isn't English or Spanish, use the template in post #7 to contribute your translations.

Lab Assistant
#10 Old 3rd Jul 2020 at 10:07 AM Last edited by ed95 : 3rd Jul 2020 at 5:22 PM.
Oooh thanks a lot!!!

...after testing it, IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!! Really, thanks a lot. Amazing how a game this old still can be changed and experimented with; I would love some day to hack myself on this game... but that's all, someday. Lucky we have people that still take great care and like this game!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 16th Feb 2024 at 1:07 PM
Been a while, but I found some of the stereos from Around The Sims that I updated on an old HDD of mine. I am uploading them merely as a backup, but I am leaving the link open to anyone who wants them. I don't remember exactly which radios they are, and I don't recall if the Spanish translations were ever done to them.

What I do recall is that I did write new object descriptions for them to be Maxis-Matchy and some of the purchase prices changed to better reflect the game economy.

Anyway, BIG thanks to Sandy for all her hard work creating them originally. I DO NOT take credit for the objects themselves. Only for the new descriptions and the radio station fix(es).
DOWNLOAD
SimFileShare

Test Subject
#12 Old 21st Feb 2024 at 3:21 AM
Thank you.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 3rd Mar 2024 at 9:52 PM
Hey HarVee! Nice to see you 'round here again!!!

I really love what you did with the first mod, is such a small change but a big improvement on the game. I'll take a peek since I was the one who asked for CC radios to also have this options, and I actually have a lot of radios from Sandy. I'll see if they have the Spanish translation too.

Thanks again and hope to see you more times soon!!!