Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
just a girl
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 3:24 PM Last edited by Lamare : 19th Aug 2018 at 1:36 AM.
Default [Solved] Making slaved object recolorable by design mode in game
Hi!
I wonder if anyone could help me make this pesky object recolorable by design mode in game.

It's the FT bike's clone, and I want the recolors to be slaved to it. My bike references maxis bike's mesh (not the whole model!), subsets are slaved for textures, design mode is enabled in GMND. I have some experience with making custom slaved objects designable - my sofa bed. I think I did everything with the bike that I did with the sofa bed, but for some reason, the bike refuses design mode in game.

Maybe the issue is that I added another GMDC for the generator part (FT bike doesn't have it), but it is separate and I don't need it to be neither slaved nor recolorable, so why would other subsets care? It doesn't affect them, right?

I probably can make the bike designable if I ditch the slaving, but it'd be so much better if it could pull maxis bike's textures. Please help me figure it out. Thank you!

bike-generator-TEST.zip - http://chii.modthesims.info/getfile.php?file=1784855

(If you'd like to look at it in game, you can find it in Hobby-Exercise as a bike with attached "generator". Requires Free Time.)
Advertisement
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#2 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 4:22 PM
Works fine.

Maybe it needs a CEP extra or something and you dont have it? I have loads of CEP extra files
Screenshots

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
just a girl
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 4:59 PM
Thanks, leefish. The thing is the maxis bike is designable in my game, so I must have something already otherwise it wouldn't be (I think). Or maybe it's different from what you have. When you click on it, do you see 1 or 2 recolorable subsets?
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#4 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 5:18 PM
I see both sets, but I only have seat and handlebar recolours. See screenshot.
Screenshots

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Mad Poster
#5 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 8:28 PM
If the object you've slaved yours to is recolorable, but your slaved object is not, you've probably missed out on something in the process.

1: Check that all subset names match the ones for the original object (GMND, GMDC, SHPE)
2: In the GMND, check that the references for the "tsMaterialsMeshName" is correct (the Strings should match the "cObjectGraphNode" in the CRES of the master object, minus "_cres")
3: Make sure you've added all subsets you want to be recolorable as "array" lines in the "tsDesignModeEnabled" in the GMND, and that you've added an entry in the GMND "cObjectGraphNode".
4: Make sure the SHPE lines are correct (the slaved ones should match the same lines in the Master object).

Some of the lines can be a bit deceptive when slaving a custom object to a maxis one, so make sure you double-check all the above.
just a girl
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 9:49 PM Last edited by Lamare : 19th Aug 2018 at 1:21 AM.
I'm a huge idiot, I'm so sorry!
Turns out, there were no recolors for the bike in my downloads. I'm used to the fact that design mode works on objects even if there are no recolors except for the main one. It doesn't usually say "the object is not designable", it just shows the one and only recolor. But I guess it's not the case for slaved objects. So, design mode does work as long as there are recolors.

Thank you both anyway!
Mad Poster
#7 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 10:53 PM
If there's one or two thumbnails (as many as there are recolorable subsets) in the preview when you click on the object in the buy menu, and if the swatch tool works and gives you 1-2 thumbnails, the item is most likely recolorable even if there aren't any recolors present, as you figured out.

If there aren't thumbnails, or if the swatch tool says the object isn't designable, or if you only get one thumbnail when you know you made two subsets, something is wrong in the file.
just a girl
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Aug 2018 at 1:19 AM
Quote:
But I guess it's not the case for slaved objects. So, design mode does work as long as there are recolors.

^ I take that back. The design mode works without recolors even on slaved objects.

Ok, this is just embarrassing... Next time I'll double check before posting. :D