Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jul 2023 at 5:40 PM
Default Weird Lines/Shadows in CAS
Hi,

I've converted the Rusl model from Zelda TP into a fullbody outfit. Save for a few tweaks here and there, I'm basically done.
However, when viewed in CAS, there are some weird lines and shadows appearing on the mesh.

In live mode, the mesh looks normal, from what I’ve seen. Still, it’s really bothering me.

Anybody know what is causing this or how to fix this?
Since these shadows appear exactly along the faces/vertices of the mesh, I don’t think it is a texture issue (or maybe it is? or some issue with the normals). I’ve included a zip with all files (the package, TSRW-file, textures, WSO and obj) so someone else can take a look at it.
Thanks in advance!
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  Rusl_Files.7z (1.23 MB, 3 downloads)
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 12th Jul 2023 at 2:03 AM
Usually when a mesh is displaying issues ingame that can't be replicated inside meshing software previews, it is a strong indication the issue is package-level- or EA-rendering level, rather.
Meaning things like GEOM data, stray EA resource references, etc are often the culprit.

Running the package through MeshToolKit's 'Fix Mesh Tangents' fixed the issue on my end, but also removed the EA body parts from the mesh (or made them invisible). I usually fix hairs, so things related to the EA body pieces elude me a little bit, but I hope this is a promising lead as to what is causing this.
You can find this function both under Package Tools and GEOM Tools in MTK, if you want to experiment with recalculating tangents and adding those pieces back.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 12th Jul 2023 at 3:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Markymaxy
Hi,

I've converted the Rusl model from Zelda TP into a fullbody outfit. Save for a few tweaks here and there, I'm basically done.
However, when viewed in CAS, there are some weird lines and shadows appearing on the mesh.

In live mode, the mesh looks normal, from what I’ve seen. Still, it’s really bothering me.

Anybody know what is causing this or how to fix this?
Since these shadows appear exactly along the faces/vertices of the mesh, I don’t think it is a texture issue (or maybe it is? or some issue with the normals). I’ve included a zip with all files (the package, TSRW-file, textures, WSO and obj) so someone else can take a look at it.
Thanks in advance!

Took a look at L1 in Blender. Basically, not a problem, as long as it looks okay in game. What you have are overlapping UV's in some places. I learned to do that purposely from JoshQ, years ago for certain garments, as the EA UV map does not leave much area for doing certain things. It will cause triangle shaped shadows (in CAS), where the overlaps are.

TS3 renders differently in CAS, than in the game... do not know why, but they do. ))) I mean, why did EA do half of what they did in TS3?

I also notice that the faces are pretty big... quite a bit bigger than usual for TS3 model. I cannot be sure whether that will cause issues with bones and in game movements. But, as I said, it's about how it looks in game. )))
Forum Resident
#4 Old 12th Jul 2023 at 4:15 PM
@Markymaxy, I had forgotten to mention... I also noticed your textures are 1.0 mb. This, usually because there are no mip maps. They are used during pull back from Sim, as the distance textures, and should be generated when you export from your imaging editor. You must check the box. It's a mistake I used to make. )))
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Jul 2023 at 10:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
Usually when a mesh is displaying issues ingame that can't be replicated inside meshing software previews, it is a strong indication the issue is package-level- or EA-rendering level, rather.
Meaning things like GEOM data, stray EA resource references, etc are often the culprit.

Running the package through MeshToolKit's 'Fix Mesh Tangents' fixed the issue on my end, but also removed the EA body parts from the mesh (or made them invisible). I usually fix hairs, so things related to the EA body pieces elude me a little bit, but I hope this is a promising lead as to what is causing this.
You can find this function both under Package Tools and GEOM Tools in MTK, if you want to experiment with recalculating tangents and adding those pieces back.

I see. Seems like LadySmoks answer makes the most sense with overlapping UV parts being the issue.

I tried the 'Fix Tangents' option and as you said, the skin parts become invisible... also, the clothes become slightly transparent, which can be seen in live mode
Either way, thanks for taking a look at it!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Jul 2023 at 11:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
Took a look at L1 in Blender. Basically, not a problem, as long as it looks okay in game. What you have are overlapping UV's in some places. I learned to do that purposely from JoshQ, years ago for certain garments, as the EA UV map does not leave much area for doing certain things. It will cause triangle shaped shadows (in CAS), where the overlaps are.

TS3 renders differently in CAS, than in the game... do not know why, but they do. ))) I mean, why did EA do half of what they did in TS3?

I also notice that the faces are pretty big... quite a bit bigger than usual for TS3 model. I cannot be sure whether that will cause issues with bones and in game movements. But, as I said, it's about how it looks in game. )))

Ohhh, if the overlapping UV parts are really the issue, it would make total sense... I had this problem a few times before and never could figure out what exactly the issue was, since my work process is always the same. As you said, the UV layout can get cramped pretty fast. Also for me, clothes conversions already take too much time, so I don't want to spend even more time mirroring UV parts and trying to make it all somehow fit the UV layout. Guess I'll just have to live with this weird CAS glitch.

Yeah, the faces are huge. As is the case with this mesh, it usually becomes a problem at the knee and elbow joints. They look kinda wonky when they bend too much. Honestly, it doesn't even bother me this much as its not that noticeable during gameplay. Maybe subdividing the faces would make this CAS issue less apparent, but I'm cautious of editing the original meshes too much, since I usually have problems with normals/dark spots when importing into TSRW...

@Markymaxy, I had forgotten to mention... I also noticed your textures are 1.0 mb. This, usually because there are no mip maps. They are used during pull back from Sim, as the distance textures, and should be generated when you export from your imaging editor. You must check the box. It's a mistake I used to make. )))

So 1.0mb is good or bad? I thought generating mipmaps increases the filesize, so I never did it haha
Instructor
#7 Old 13th Jul 2023 at 1:03 AM
I thought generating mipmaps increases the filesize, so I never did it haha

DDS with the same settings have the same file size, so 1MB was the giveaway that yours had no mipmaps.

Having a few extra KB of filesize is trivial compared to forcing the game to try and display a distant texture larger than it reasonably can.
Mipmaps are there for a reason, both for performance and visually (textures can look grainy in the distance without them).
Forum Resident
#8 Old 13th Jul 2023 at 2:08 AM
Ohhh, if the overlapping UV parts are really the issue, it would make total sense... I had this problem a few times before and never could figure out what exactly the issue was, since my work process is always the same. As you said, the UV layout can get cramped pretty fast. Also for me, clothes conversions already take too much time, so I don't want to spend even more time mirroring UV parts and trying to make it all somehow fit the UV layout. Guess I'll just have to live with this weird CAS glitch.

Yeah, the faces are huge. As is the case with this mesh, it usually becomes a problem at the knee and elbow joints. They look kinda wonky when they bend too much. Honestly, it doesn't even bother me this much as its not that noticeable during gameplay. Maybe subdividing the faces would make this CAS issue less apparent, but I'm cautious of editing the original meshes too much, since I usually have problems with normals/dark spots when importing into TSRW...

So 1.0mb is good or bad? I thought generating mipmaps increases the filesize, so I never did it haha

We all tend to get into a rut of sorts, which can lead to repeating mistakes. In this case, it's more trouble to fix than it is worth... and you may find a time when you actually mirror one half of a UV and overlay it on the other side, as a way to generate more space. Mirroring and overlaying arms opens a bit of room. Detractor being things like assymetric tattoos. The arms have a shadow in CAS, but look fine in game.

Why the rush to finish? Practice and Patience! Depending on the conversion, it can take time. I have done some XPS and MMD conversions. Many game models use mutiple textures that must be resized and fit to a single map, as well as the model UV. MOST of the time, it is worth the extra effort.

Often, a mesh will have more vertices/ edges, at joints, like elbows, knees and shoulders. Generally, running across the joint, so the bone weights follow and flow more smoothly. Again, if it works okay in game, nothing to worry about! Bottom line is always, how does it look in game. )))

When increasing vertices at joints, it is good to have an EA body mesh that you can look at, and see how the edges are aligned. Also to see how bone weights flow. Increasing vertices/ polycount, only becomes tricky as you approach the EA limits, which that mesh is not close to. But, it can build up fast! If so inclined to experiment, I suggest save the work folder and start a new one, as not to overwrite what you already have.

And... Ha Ha Ha!!! Your reason for not generating mips, is EXACTLY why I used to not generate them. ))) But, once compressed in the package, it matters less, and you do need them. Otherwise, as you pull back from the Sim, he will suddenly have no textures. Same for taking time to make L2 and L3. I now have a "system", but it took a while to develope it.

A 1024 x 1024 texture with dxt5 compression and mips is around 1.33 mb. Dxt1, used for speculars and simply masks that aren't trying to add detail, are around 682? kb. Normals must be dxt5, or they don't work.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Jul 2023 at 2:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
DDS with the same settings have the same file size, so 1MB was the giveaway that yours had no mipmaps.

Having a few extra KB of filesize is trivial compared to forcing the game to try and display a distant texture larger than it reasonably can.
Mipmaps are there for a reason, both for performance and visually (textures can look grainy in the distance without them).

Thanks for the explanation. Everything increasing game performance is indeed worth it, especially with a game as old as TS3.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Jul 2023 at 2:59 PM
We all tend to get into a rut of sorts, which can lead to repeating mistakes. In this case, it's more trouble to fix than it is worth... and you may find a time when you actually mirror one half of a UV and overlay it on the other side, as a way to generate more space. Mirroring and overlaying arms opens a bit of room. Detractor being things like assymetric tattoos. The arms have a shadow in CAS, but look fine in game.

Why the rush to finish? Practice and Patience! Depending on the conversion, it can take time. I have done some XPS and MMD conversions. Many game models use mutiple textures that must be resized and fit to a single map, as well as the model UV. MOST of the time, it is worth the extra effort.

Often, a mesh will have more vertices/ edges, at joints, like elbows, knees and shoulders. Generally, running across the joint, so the bone weights follow and flow more smoothly. Again, if it works okay in game, nothing to worry about! Bottom line is always, how does it look in game. )))

When increasing vertices at joints, it is good to have an EA body mesh that you can look at, and see how the edges are aligned. Also to see how bone weights flow. Increasing vertices/ polycount, only becomes tricky as you approach the EA limits, which that mesh is not close to. But, it can build up fast! If so inclined to experiment, I suggest save the work folder and start a new one, as not to overwrite what you already have.

And... Ha Ha Ha!!! Your reason for not generating mips, is EXACTLY why I used to not generate them. ))) But, once compressed in the package, it matters less, and you do need them. Otherwise, as you pull back from the Sim, he will suddenly have no textures. Same for taking time to make L2 and L3. I now have a "system", but it took a while to develope it.

A 1024 x 1024 texture with dxt5 compression and mips is around 1.33 mb. Dxt1, used for speculars and simply masks that aren't trying to add detail, are around 682? kb. Normals must be dxt5, or they don't work.

UV mapping is the the most tedious part that requires most planing, imo. When models have multiple textures/UV maps it makes it even worse lol. Thats why I'm mostly sticking to older models with fewer textures and vertices... tbh looking at a models UV map is the first thing I do to see if I should even bother.

The problem I get when editing meshes is that TSRW seems to have issues with vertices having too many edges (EA meshes usually have 6 edges per vertice... affine mesh I think is the term), which can create dark spots from what I experienced. When making meshes more complex by adding more vertices I find it hard to reduce the edges per vert in the edited areas. So I try to keep the editing confined to the areas where the clothes and the EA body mesh meet just to avoid clipping.

Thanks so much for all the tips and info, despite spending hours on end making CC it's always insightful to hear from other creators.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 13th Jul 2023 at 5:25 PM
UV mapping is the the most tedious part that requires most planing, imo. When models have multiple textures/UV maps it makes it even worse lol. Thats why I'm mostly sticking to older models with fewer textures and vertices... tbh looking at a models UV map is the first thing I do to see if I should even bother.

The problem I get when editing meshes is that TSRW seems to have issues with vertices having too many edges (EA meshes usually have 6 edges per vertice... affine mesh I think is the term), which can create dark spots from what I experienced. When making meshes more complex by adding more vertices I find it hard to reduce the edges per vert in the edited areas. So I try to keep the editing confined to the areas where the clothes and the EA body mesh meet just to avoid clipping.

Thanks so much for all the tips and info, despite spending hours on end making CC it's always insightful to hear from other creators.

One thing with "foreign" models, and UV/ texture mapping, is to use a standard size reduction for both Blender and imaging program. In other words, do not simply press "S", and drag the mouse, rather reduce on x and y by 0.8, or 0.5, or whatever size allows you to fit everything on one map. That way, the 0.8, etc, can be duplicated on the texture, and far less guess work. UV and textures can also be resized on just one axis, example, 0.5 on x, and 1.0 on y... or whatever fits. I have converted a couple of Kuroyu MMD bots to TS3 plumbot. They have a lot of textures that had to be squeezed into one map, but it's possible (sometimes). Again, "Practice and Patience", as JoshQ would say.

A couple of ways that I deal with "dark spots" in a mesh. The easiest, may be to merge vertices by distance, set normals to faces, and export as object. Then split seams, etc, and export as geom. Only use the geom as a reference for bones in MTK, and use MTK seam fixer to correct neck, waist and ankle seams. The mesh is usually clean in TSRW. MTK seam fix does not work for some things like teen female. After converting object to geom and transferring bones, I will import the new geom to Blender, TOUCH NOTHING, and export, using the proper export seam fix. This is geom tools for Blender 2.8x. 2.9x is different, and I have only played with it a little.

Other fixes for those shadows is to mark the offending edges as sharp. https://modthesims.info/showthread....916#post5866916 Scroll down to one of the Kuroyu bots to see sharps on the mesh, and UV arrangement.