Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jan 2018 at 2:55 PM
Default Seeing the Upper Floor In Game
When playing the Sims 3 I normally like playing with a low camera so I can see the ceiling however a big restriction I find is that you can’t see the upper floors from the floor you’re on if theirs no ceiling.

I would love to be able to see a double height room with a two storey fireplace or a mezzanine level when playing the game. Without a ceiling all you see is the sky and it means I rarely make double height rooms because of this.

I know you can press tab and then drop down but you can’t obviously play in this mode. Would love to see it as a feature in future games. I’ve tried looking for mods that will do it but I don’t think it’s possible (I’ve never tried to make a mod for the Sims 3) so I don’t know.
Advertisement
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#2 Old 21st Jan 2018 at 3:05 PM
If you want to add a ceiling just add floors to the ceiling level without having to look under. It's easier that way.

- When one gets inspired by the other, the one inspires another - Anything is Possible.

You can view some of my WIPs and other stuff for TS3 on my Twitter here ---> https://twitter.com/SweetSavanita
Scholar
#3 Old 21st Jan 2018 at 3:54 PM
I have the same problem with double height rooms, it has caused me no end of annoyance when taking screenshots. I have built a large underground room which is two stories high, where I am trying to shoot screenshots for a story post. But the only way I can have the upper walls of the room visible is to do as OP says and press tab. But that makes lining shots up very difficult, and you also get that problem where the proportions of the room get distorted - like looking through a fish-eye lens.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Forum Resident
#4 Old 21st Jan 2018 at 5:32 PM Last edited by Deshong : 8th Aug 2018 at 2:17 PM.
Are you talking about a view like this?

Unless the room is that small, it shouldn't be an issue with using TAB without getting much or no distortion.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 21st Jan 2018 at 6:30 PM
Where'd you get that under-stair storage thingy? Looks really neat.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
#6 Old 21st Jan 2018 at 10:04 PM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 12:34 PM
Adding ceilings and taking screenshots in double height isn’t the problem; it’s when it comes to playing the actual game (not in tab mode). I think the fisheye thing some people mentioned is because you’re zoomed to far out with the mouse scroll wheel.

I was just saying it would add a lot to the game for me to be able to do this. Seeing a hole in the ceiling when you don’t have a floor directly above is what annoys me.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 12:53 PM
Best use of mirrored flooring I've ever seen @nitromon. Damn, that looks good.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Field Researcher
#11 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 7:35 PM
I agree it’s annoying. Of course there is the tab solution, but like the OP says that doesn’t solve the problem while playing. I also regret attics like this aren’t possible:

Mad Poster
#12 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 8:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
It's shiny. :P

I'm a human being. Human beings like shiny things. I like the shiny.

insert signature here
dodgy builder
#14 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 8:14 AM
Technically it is possible, except you cannot walk or stand in the slanted area of the attic. You can put objects there using moveobject cheat, but they cannot be interacted with b/c of the low ceiling. Oh, and no slanted window on the roof.

I have seen roof windows somewhere. I have never tested them myself though.

Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
I'm a human being. Human beings like shiny things. I like the shiny.

Nah, Crows do though
Mad Poster
#15 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 11:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Nah, Crows do though

Nonononono, no nah. Humans like the shiny. Mr. scientist say so.

insert signature here
Site Helper
#16 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 6:12 PM
Technically it is possible, except you cannot walk or stand in the slanted area of the attic. You can put objects there using moveobject cheat, but they cannot be interacted with b/c of the low ceiling. Oh, and no slanted window on the roof.

If that were a tiny bit wider, so that there are 3 squares between the edge of the roof and the rest of the room, that is the height of a wall if you leave the roof slope at 45 degrees. The entire area bounded by places where the roof is one wall-height or higher is usable normally, although I have no idea if Sims 3 has the same flaw that Sims 2 has with Seasons. If it does, then you don't want to have a bedroom in an attic anyway because the roof lets temperature through. You can freeze while sleeping in a warm bed, or get overheated and ignite the bed if it's too hot outside.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Scholar
#17 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 9:39 PM
@wojtek How do you keep out the weather? Since I've gotten Seasons, I find that sims get weather moodlets if there isn't a ceiling or wall other than the roof over them.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 10:06 PM
@Wojtek Love that, your pictures confirm I’d so love that in my game. Indeed curious how it works with weather and how you managed to do this.
Theorist
#19 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 1:16 AM
Do sims get the unfinished room moodlet in those attic rooms? I added upstairs BR's to a house I created and I didn't add extra walls. Sims all got the unfinished room moodlet. I know there are work-arounds for that, though.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Field Researcher
#20 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 5:02 PM
@Wojtek Thanks, definitely going to try that out Since you use the floors to create the roof slopes, I presume weather stays outside.