Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 10:12 PM
Default Invisible Sidewalks and LOD
I don't know if this is a technical issue or not, so i chose "other" as the category -- I hope I got it right.

My question: are opacity maps supposed to be disabled when the terrain transitions to it's low LOD version? I ask because they seem to do that with me and i don't know if this is normal behaviour or not. For instance, if i make an invisible sidewalk, it is invisible up to the point when the low LOD terrain kicks. At that point, what ever texture was selected for the sidewalk shows up. I've tried different file formats for the opacity mask (dds, tga, and png) but they all have the same results. Is this normal behaviour or am I doing something wrong?

I've attached a screen-shot to better illustrate what I'm talking about.

Thank you for reading and, hopefully, answering.
Screenshots
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 12:17 PM
Dds is what we usually use. Can you post a picture of what you have in the different slots?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 3:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Dds is what we usually use. Can you post a picture of what you have in the different slots?

Thanks for the response!

I've attached a screenshot of the .dds' textures. The .png and .tga road palates look exactly the same since the only difference is the road opacity texture and that is just the dds opacity texture exported as a .tga and .png. I did that just to make sure this wasn't some odd mip-map issue. But since they behave exactly the same, it seems to just be the way the program and game dose things. Or maybe it's my hardware, I don't know. That's why I'm asking, to find out how invisible sidewalks behave with other people so I know if this is something I can fix or if it's just something I need to work around.

Again, thank you!
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#4 Old 21st Jan 2018 at 1:11 PM Last edited by daisylee : 21st Jan 2018 at 1:40 PM.
This may not help at all as I know zero about invisible sidewalks, but...... I have done a lot of custom roads and I have some sidewalk texture that makes the sidewalk match the street pavement. Can you just use the same grass texture as the world so no sidewalks are seen? Do they need to be invisible?

Hmmm, I think I want to play in CAW a bit trying that and see what happens. I am curious.

edit: I am not exactly sure what you want, but I did a test. I did a custom road and used the texture I have to make the sidewalk match the road. I had my light grey for the road and sidewalks. Changed the grey to medium base green/grass and now it matches the ground pretty darn well. Pic with grid to see sidewalks along road and one perpendicular to road. When grid is off they blend in very well. And the texture I have may not be needed at all to do this? Just do the sidewalks as grass?

Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 21st Jan 2018 at 2:12 PM
It helps if you don't use a texture for the sideway but a completly black image for Sidewalk Texture and Normal map as well as Transparent map. You will have to check your crossroads though, invisible sidewalks tend to mess them up (you cannot have invisible corner textures).
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 10:05 PM
Sorry for the delay in responding -- I got caught up in playing with distant terrains.

Either way, I started a new world (for testing DTs) and noticed I didn't have this texturing problem in that one, so, I guess i did /something/ to corrupt the other world... maybe? I wish i knew what it was so i could avoid ever doing it again, but at least things look like they are working the way they are supposed to now. I was worried it was an issue with my system or CAW since this is the first time i actually managed to get the thing to not crash spectacularly (and still try not breathing on it too hard).

Thanks everyone for your responses, though!