Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jun 2019 at 12:55 AM
Default Customizing store content
So i've asked far and wide, but i have so far come up empty.
I need help with the following thing:
I wanted to get a wetsuit for teen sims. There is no CC like that anywhere, the one that comes with seasons had the mesh messed up by EA and isn't that good anyway, and the one you get from the sims store is nice, but it also has no teen version (not that you could tell before buying of course).
So i set out to try and age convert the store bought one since it's a lot better than the alternative already.
After going through loads of options and tutorials with outdated links, expensive programs and whatnot, i figured out how to do it.
But when i finally tried to do anything it turned out that the store content cannot be properly opened by s3pe.
Some people clearly figured out how to do this already, as there are for example lots of hair retextures that are very popular and even remeshes that are equally popular, right here on mts even.
https://strangercandycc.tumblr.com/...hair-retextures
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=563294
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=563152
These were even picked uploads!
Both of these people however haven't been around for 4 years now.

And the internet doesn't seem to turn up anything.

So how *do* i mesh edit store content?
Advertisement
Space Pony
#2 Old 9th Jun 2019 at 2:44 PM
If I recall, you need to decrapify store content to remove its copy protection and open it in S3PE.

If you still have the Sims3Pack you installed the content from, run it through this tool, and then use this tool to extract package files from it. You should then be able to open the package in S3PE and access their resources.

From there, I'd avoid making a default replacement, and just use the resources as a starting point for creating your own item.

"The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had." - Eric Schmidt

If you enjoy the mods I put out, consider supporting me on patreon: www.patreon.com/Gamefreak130
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jun 2019 at 7:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gamefreak130
If I recall, you need to decrapify store content to remove its copy protection and open it in S3PE.

If you still have the Sims3Pack you installed the content from, run it through this tool, and then use this tool to extract package files from it. You should then be able to open the package in S3PE and access their resources.

From there, I'd avoid making a default replacement, and just use the resources as a starting point for creating your own item.

ZOMG THANKS!

How did you know this, there wasn't a single tutorial online lol
Space Pony
#4 Old 11th Jun 2019 at 1:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nobody_Important
ZOMG THANKS!

How did you know this, there wasn't a single tutorial online lol

Well, like I said, decrapifying removes the copy protection from the package file. The big advantage to doing this is that it allows the package to be installed through the Mods folder rather than through the launcher as a Sims3Pack, so most tutorials approach it from that angle.

The downside is that the internal resource IDs of the package are changed in the process -- decrapified objects are, for all intents and purposes, completely different objects from their unmodified counterparts. That's why I recommend against default replacements using those decrapified resources, but I could be wrong on that.

"The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had." - Eric Schmidt

If you enjoy the mods I put out, consider supporting me on patreon: www.patreon.com/Gamefreak130
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Jun 2019 at 5:32 AM
Ah. Thanks!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Jun 2019 at 8:38 PM

Okay well it turns out that this worked for *one* of the items, the male wetsuit, but *not* for the female version.
I have no idea how or why. The meshes appear to be broken and not loadable as geom files in milkshape3d or in the tsr workshop.
I can load the lower quality meshes, but not the high resolution ones.
I have no idea why and i can't get it to work.
The thing still shows up in game, so it's not the store file that is broken, but for some reason the meshes can't be loaded. MS3D throws me an "incorrect vertex count in morph" error.
What do i do?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Jun 2019 at 8:48 PM
Okay well never mind the last thing i could've tried i thought about after posting that.
Apparently extracting the package and then decrapifying it is what fixed the error, and the meshes can now be loaded for whatever reason. I have no idea why EA made it this difficult to edit store content. It's not like it has any reason to be less modifiable than normal EP content.