Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Aug 2019 at 1:37 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Reshade crashing Sims 2?
Hey everyone!

So I've been messing around with Reshade (https://reshade.me/) for DAYS trying to get it to work. The only version of Reshade that will even inject successfully into the game for me is Reshade 3.0, even though the most current is 4.3. I have also tried 2.0. I have also applied the 4GB patch and I have a task that clears my standby memory. I'm on Windows 10 and have Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 and AMD FirePro W5130M graphics cards, and I've currently set my computer to use the AMD card for sims. When I open the game (I have all expansions up to Mansions and Gardens, and I don't have UC), the Reshade overlay appears in the corner and everything is fine. The effects are visible on the main menu, but once I select a neighborhood to play and it appears to be loading, the game crashes with the lovely "The application has crashed. The application will now terminate." message familiar to many of us .

My game runs perfectly without Reshade, but I am dying to make it work after seeing the beautiful screenshots posted on Tumblr from other simmers! If anyone has any insight or if providing additional information would be useful, please let me know as I would really appreciate the help! ^-^
Advertisement
Undead Molten Llama
#2 Old 16th Aug 2019 at 1:51 AM
I am pretty sure that Reshade only works with the UC. I couldn't get it to work with my disk install. I had the same experience as you. I only tried a few times, though, so maybe other people will come along with more info.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Aug 2019 at 3:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
I am pretty sure that Reshade only works with the UC. I couldn't get it to work with my disk install. I had the same experience as you. I only tried a few times, though, so maybe other people will come along with more info.

Oh haha that would explain a lot! Thank you for letting me know; I might have to give UC a go and see if that solves the problem!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Aug 2019 at 11:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WickedPrinceGui
Oh haha that would explain a lot! Thank you for letting me know; I might have to give UC a go and see if that solves the problem!

Update: I tried it with UC but unfortunately it doesn't work either ;-( same problem, the game crashes when I try to load a neighborhood ;-(

If anyone has any idea of what is wrong or could share what settings worked for them, I would be very grateful~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 17th Aug 2019 at 11:52 PM
Is Reshade even compatible with TS2? It seems to be compatible with TS3 and 4, but I haven't seen a lot of TS2 players use it. The compatibility list only has TS3.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#6 Old 18th Aug 2019 at 12:41 AM
^ That's what I was thinking.

Wasn't there someone with pineapple in their name who made something similar for TS2? (Yes, I know that's extremely helpful but I honestly can't remember their name right now.) I was pretty much right - https://pineapple5050.tumblr.com/
Undead Molten Llama
#7 Old 18th Aug 2019 at 4:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Is Reshade even compatible with TS2? It seems to be compatible with TS3 and 4, but I haven't seen a lot of TS2 players use it. The compatibility list only has TS3.

Beautifulnerdkitty at Tumblr got it to work a while ago, using the UC. That might have been a different version of the UC than the current one, though. They've answered a question about it within the last year, though. Apparently you need some sort of dll injector? I dunno....

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Aug 2019 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
^ That's what I was thinking.

Wasn't there someone with pineapple in their name who made something similar for TS2? (Yes, I know that's extremely helpful but I honestly can't remember their name right now.) I was pretty much right - https://pineapple5050.tumblr.com/

haha yes thank you for mentioning that! I have tried their post processing effects and they look great, but the game lags a lot and basically becomes unplayable for me ;-( I thought reshade would be a bit more lightweight and manageable for my PC's poor little heart!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th Aug 2019 at 8:54 PM
Beautifulnerdkitty at Tumblr got it to work a while ago, using the UC. That might have been a different version of the UC than the current one, though. They've answered a question about it within the last year, though. Apparently you need some sort of dll injector? I dunno....

thank you so much for sharing this question/answer post!
I tried using Xenos injector and used the same settings (32 bit Xenos, dx 10+) but sadly reshade doesn't show up at all. The only setting that has ever worked for me in terms of showing the reshade overlay on the main menu (with or without the injector) is dx 9 ;-(
Undead Molten Llama
#10 Old 19th Aug 2019 at 9:07 PM
Bummer. Well, here's a link to BNK's whole Reshade tag on their Tumblr, including the tute they used to get it set up: https://beautifulnerdkitty.tumblr.com/tagged/reshade
Maybe there'll be some other info in there that will help you? Like, I see they mention that SecuROM has be removed for Reshade to work. I know that that was eventually removed from the UC with an update via Origin, but if you bypass Origin and have an older version of the UC, perhaps you missed that update?

If all else fails, you might try messaging BNK on Tumblr. It looks like they accept anon messages, if you don't have an account there.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Aug 2019 at 6:38 AM
Bummer. Well, here's a link to BNK's whole Reshade tag on their Tumblr, including the tute they used to get it set up: https://beautifulnerdkitty.tumblr.com/tagged/reshade
Maybe there'll be some other info in there that will help you? Like, I see they mention that SecuROM has be removed for Reshade to work. I know that that was eventually removed from the UC with an update via Origin, but if you bypass Origin and have an older version of the UC, perhaps you missed that update?

If all else fails, you might try messaging BNK on Tumblr. It looks like they accept anon messages, if you don't have an account there.

Thank you so much for your help; I'll give that a try! \(^-^)/