Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 4:48 PM
Default I have crunchy hearts :/
I'm using S4S. For some reason, the hearts on my tees have gone crunchy. They look somewhat crunchy in S4S, and super bad in the actual game. The green sleeve/rainbow heart shirts used .dds; the yellow sleeve/pan heart ones used .png. The third image is what they look like in the actual .png, zoomed into 550%. Any advice how to fix/prevent this problem is welcome.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 15th Mar 2018 at 4:15 AM
Yeah, that's more than just jaggies. Could you upload your texture and package?

Edit: What texture editor are you using, and what (if any) dds plug-in?

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Mar 2018 at 4:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Yeah, that's more than just jaggies. Could you upload your texture and package?

Edit: What texture editor are you using, and what (if any) dds plug-in?

I'm using GIMP and for dds plugins I tried both the GIMP DDS plugin for the program and using dtxbmp to translate a png to dds. I haven't had any issues previously just using pngs so I'm at a loss for why it went ... weird. I'm gonna give you one of the package files and both the dds and png versions of the first texture; I hope that works? If not I can provide more.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9wg4yhd0...dx8FTszd7a?dl=0
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 15th Mar 2018 at 6:02 AM
This appears to be an effect of the DDS compression - it just doesn't work well with high contrast curves and that narrow outline seems to really mess it up. This is one of the worst cases I've seen. If you look at your .dds file you'll see it has those same artifacts. I was able to improve it slightly by using paint.net to convert from png to dds (it has better compression) and by blurring the outline, but it still looks awful. You could try using a gray outline instead of black, and maybe thickening it. Sorry I have no solution except reworking the image!

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Mar 2018 at 1:06 PM
I only converted it to .dds in the first place because i was having a problem, but if it's probably my border (sigh) this is why I keep the layered files. Hopefully I can make it work without too much additional effort. Thanks!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#6 Old 15th Mar 2018 at 1:34 PM
Unfortunately the game uses compressed dds and this is why you're seeing the same thing when you import png, which S4S or whatever tool converts to dds. Smart to keep your layered images!

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Mar 2018 at 2:48 PM
So I reworked my hearts and it worked fine. I'll give it a 90%, they're obviously not perfectly crisp up close but they look good from a normal simming distance. Thanks!