Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Apr 2018 at 5:01 PM
Default General rant...
Love some of the Mansions and such, but my complaint is that although the creators can create any way they want to but there are some who can not afford to buy simpoints for various items used in the constructions. I'm currently attending college and use Sims 3 as a means to relax after classes all day long. I'm on a STRICT budget and can't afford to buy simpoints to download things to finish up a Mansion or whatever I downloaded. I know this sounds petty but to me, it's not....

All I'm requesting is that when a designer builds a house or whatever, they have in place something that could be used instead of a store item or items requiring the points. The replacements might look silly or awkward, but it would help others out....

Forgive me if I either step on toes or start an argument......
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 15th Apr 2018 at 5:47 PM
I totally get what you're saying. It can be really frustrating, especially with how overpriced the store stuff can be. There are a few tricks you can use to get some of the stuff cheap and/or free (eg: using free simpoints and strategic use of the daily deals and complete-a-set deals), if you google you'll probably find some helpful resources for that.

The good news is that even if the uploader doesn't say it in the post, when you download and install any house that contains store content you don't have, the game should automatically attempt to replace the items with something you do have that performs the same function. The results can be messy and weird looking, especially if there were a lot of items being used in unconventional ways, so you might have to spend some time tidying it up/ re-cast-ing things, but you CAN install the house, and it WILL be functional.

no power in the verse can stop me
ge smak daun, gyon op nodotaim
jus nou drein jus daun
Mad Poster
#3 Old 15th Apr 2018 at 6:15 PM
I think there's a way to get simpoints (legally) for free. I believe it's through "watching" advertisements by spamming-open it in every new tab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iYUW_JPMRA

^ Not sure If it's still relevant/works. The Video is two years old.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 15th Apr 2018 at 7:12 PM
I get where you're coming from, but if you're a builder you'll understand how difficult it can be to artificially limit yourself to certain types of content. I've yet to upload most of what I've been building but when I build something, I try to limit myself to base game content + 2 or 3 expansion packs. I can make do with that with most builds. Some of them, however, need to look good first and be practical or easy to use second. And it's really really hard to make compromises when you know exactly what you want. I know the game pretty well, I know what stuff there is for the game, I know in which pack or Store set everything came, and a lot of the time I look at items and I already know where and when I'll want to use them in the near future.

At that point it's completely impractical for me not to use something I prefer just because it requires an extra pack or a specific Store set. So I build it and I keep in mind that should I ever want to upload it, I'll need to make a CC- and Store-free version alongside the regular one. You can have it both ways, then.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#5 Old 15th Apr 2018 at 8:42 PM
Isn't there a program or anything along the lines that clear out a set of objects you don't have acquired with the dlc/store pack? That would be neat. If not, a preferable suggestion would be for the OP to contact the builder of the lot and make a comprise to remove objects you don't have access or equipped in-game and have him/her reupload the lot to you personally.
Scholar
#6 Old 15th Apr 2018 at 10:16 PM
Lol I was wondering how long it would take for those to be deleted.

no power in the verse can stop me
ge smak daun, gyon op nodotaim
jus nou drein jus daun
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 15th Apr 2018 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
I think there's a way to get simpoints (legally) for free. I believe it's through "watching" advertisements by spamming-open it in every new tab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iYUW_JPMRA

^ Not sure If it's still relevant/works. The Video is two years old.

I haven't seen one of those ads-for-points in about a year.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 16th Apr 2018 at 4:00 AM
If I really like the layout, I usually just chart it and build it myself. (I'm a knitter; I have plenty of chart paper.)
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 16th Apr 2018 at 12:58 PM
It seems I had some Exchange CC that wouldn't load in the Launcher due to missing custom content that had DRM on it. Usually it loads but you get a substitution of something similar.
But isn't the whole point of the exchange to sell EA stuff for money?

Sims are better than us.
Scholar
#11 Old 16th Apr 2018 at 1:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I almost never chase down ccs etc... unless it is a cc that is unique. Most houses and lots I downloaded, I expect to do a lot of remodeling of my own. And to be honest, I prefer it that way b/c let's face it... we don't all have the same taste. So mostly when I look for lots, especially residential lots, I'm looking at the architecture. If I like the architecture, I download it and then just remodel the inside to my liking.

Kind of what I do, too. Most of the houses I see offered are very pretty, but I focus more on the architecture or design, especially since a lot of them put so many little detail items in that... frankly, I have no use for in my houses. I delete/sell them instantly. (Like the toilet paper roll in the bathroom, magazine rack on the coffee table, soap dispenser next to the sink, etc) I also never put those into my own houses (among several reasons why I rarely upload any of my houses here), guess I'm just minimalistic about that.

And if I like the architecture myself, but I feel like the lot its built for is too large, I just re-create it myself on a smaller lot.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 2:01 AM
Thanks from all who responded...Perhaps the creator could suggest an alt to whatever he or she used from the Store that costs sim points...Anyway, I guess I'm not alone with having to skip on some of the most beautiful houses, etc that I've come across here. I don't have the time to download something and re-do it for my own use due to classes and taking care of my elderly parents....even though Game Design is one of the certifications I'm taking in college.....

<3
Mad Poster
#14 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 10:07 AM
Open-plan interiors can be a really good idea. In fact, it's preferable if you only have small space to work with. My kitchens are always open, I don't get why anyone would want walls there. While I don't mind having a foyer, leaving a bit of unoccupied space near the front door may suffice as well.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#16 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 12:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Open-plan interiors can be a really good idea. In fact, it's preferable if you only have small space to work with. My kitchens are always open, I don't get why anyone would want walls there. While I don't mind having a foyer, leaving a bit of unoccupied space near the front door may suffice as well.

Most of the time, when I build a house, the living room and kitchen/dining area are in one 'big' room. Chances are my sims are gonna be busy doing something in one of those rooms, so why not have them all in the same one, so that if a sim eating can talk to the sim watching TV? Plus, with really large households, the less doorways they need to maneuvre, the better. Only rooms that are generally separate are the bathroom and bedrooms. ...now that I think about it, it's been a while since I build a 'studio' home, like the tiny house I uploaded here.

Quote:
Also, I'm autistic

Um... being autistic does not mean anything in regards to you naming your rooms... I mean, I'm autistic myself, and I don't do this little quirk.
It's just a personal quirk that you do, which is part of what makes you 'you'.
Site Helper
#17 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 2:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sandi Greenwood
I'm weird that's why I give the rooms weird names.

:lovestruc No, you're normal.
Everybody is a unique individual, so it's the ones who try to be just like everybody else who are actually the weird ones. :lovestruc

(We need to get together... You name rooms and I prefer not to name anything. My CAS bin is full of sims I spent a lot of time creating but never actually put into the game because I had to come up with a first name and a last name for them.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Scholar
#19 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 8:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion

If you are playing with dogs, I find a wall between the kitchen and any exterior door is preferable. Sims will literally stop doing anything to "react to wet dog." I can't tell you how many house fires wet dogs have caused me!
Mad Poster
#21 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 9:12 PM
I have a dog in real life and he's enough of a nuisance already so no, I don't happen to play with dogs (or pets in general). But I can imagine that not every house is pet-friendly. Especially the ultra-modern, blocky, expensive-looking homes I build.
I always thought River was adopted. Like, that she was found in an abandoned, stuffy, spiderweb-y storehouse and she had a toetag with "r193r" written on it and her name's river because r193r looked like the word river.

But yes, she does kinda try to be normal. But she's also artsy. I actually see River, Holly, and Bebe, as Sunset Valley's artsy hippie BFF trio. Not girly, and not normal, but clearly next-doorish. River becomes kind of a 2nd (3rd? 4th?) mom to Sandi and the unborn baby Ursine once Claire turns Elder. I've actually paired River wih both Holly and Bebe before, as well as pairing Bebe and Holly with each other.

Can we please not talk about this in every thread? You have a social group for this.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#23 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 9:46 PM
As a matter of fact, you can. You just need to do it, like everyone else here.

insert signature here
Site Helper
#25 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 3:36 PM
Sorry but I cannot stop fangirling premades.

1. Write out your post
2. Read your post. Does it refer at all to any of the premade sims?
3. If not, check to see if it says something that needs to be said. Not all the posts you write out need to be posted. (And I'm guilty of a few posts of my own that got put up when they shouldn't have.)

If it passed both tests, you can post it where it is. Otherwise, delete it from where it is and put it somewhere more appropriate. (Your social group, your private journal folder on your own computer at home, a PM to someone who is willing to listen, or just gone...)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Page 1 of 3