Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#126 Old 17th Apr 2006 at 5:04 PM Last edited by HRAKLHS : 14th May 2008 at 7:47 PM.
Hi!Can you help me on making objects?
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
#127 Old 17th Apr 2006 at 5:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HRAKLHS
:dmille: HI!CAN YOY HELP ME WITH SOMETHING?

You will have to be more specific about what exactly you need help with.

And, please, do not type in all caps .
Test Subject
#128 Old 23rd Apr 2006 at 3:09 PM
Hi.
Most of the people who are making their own meshes/objects seem to be using Milkshape.
I know that its not a free program, so i went on their site and tried to find out how much it costs to get...but i cant seem to find it.
Ive looked on their whole website, but i still dont know how much it costs...i dont want to download it befor i know how much ill have to spend to use it.

can anybody please help me out? maybe someone who is using milkshape themselves?

That would be great, thank you!!!

~Live each day as if it were you're last! ;D
» http://www.sheylassims2.com/
°SheyLa°
#129 Old 23rd Apr 2006 at 3:23 PM
On the Register page it says it's $25 or 25€. Seems like you get a better deal when paying with $, with the current conversion rate . I paid 25€ for mine last year, and it doesn't seem to have changed.
Test Subject
#130 Old 30th Apr 2006 at 11:40 AM Last edited by penroyaltea : 30th Apr 2006 at 6:17 PM.
How do you create transparent windows? I cant find a tutorial that does this, unless it is the transparent object one, every time I try to recolour the storybook window it stops being transparent. I want to get rid of the squigly pattern on the glass and I have serif photoplus 7, will it still work with this? Can you do it with the wizard at all, or do I have to go into the more confusing part of simpe?
and also is it possible to make your own meshes and things without buying any software and which is the best one?
Test Subject
#131 Old 30th Apr 2006 at 8:09 PM
How Do You Make a sim to put on the sims2 web?
Lab Assistant
#132 Old 1st May 2006 at 4:42 PM
hi,. i want to make my own car for the sims 2, but i am new with this and have absaloubtly no idea, can anyone help or point me in the right direction for a good beginers tutorial, i really want this car for the sims 2, but i can't find it, there has also been many requests for it aswell, so i will post it here when done, so any help would be good thanks.
Part-time Hermit
#133 Old 1st May 2006 at 4:52 PM
adman, there is car tutorial in the tutorial section of this forum, but if you've never done a custom object before, I do not recommend starting off with a car, because they are very complicated. I recommend you start off with much simpler objects first to gain some basic knowledge on object creation. JWoods' tutorial is a good one to start with.

penroyaltea, you will have to either import the glass pattern as a png image that has a transparent background, or import an alpha layer after you import the texture. I do not know what that particular graphics editor can do, if it can handle layers and such. If not, Gimp is a free program that can do that.

About the mesh editors, Blender and Wings 3D are examples of free mesh editing programs you can use for objects, and SimPE and UVMapper Classic are also free programs that you will probably need. People generally say Wings 3D is simpler to use than Blender, and is better for beginners. JWoods' object tutorial that I posted a link for adman has versions for both Blender and Wings 3D.
Lab Assistant
#134 Old 1st May 2006 at 5:11 PM
thanks, i'll have ago thanks
Lab Assistant
#135 Old 1st May 2006 at 6:05 PM
Default Making better tutorials...
Jwoods, Numeror, etc...

First of all, let me say how much I appreciate the work you've put into these tutorials. I know from making my little build mode tutorial that these take a lot of time, patience, and attention to detail.

I have one comment, however, on how future tutorials can be much improved.

I understand that to make a decent tutorial, you need to be doing something specific: A table, a toilet, whatever. In my case it was a pagoda.

I also understand the need to provide step-by-step "click this, click that" instructions, so that others can follow and reach the same result.

However, I believe we are wasting a big opportunity by not explaining, even in short terms, the "why" of what we are doing. I see it in some places, but not in others. When you tell the user to "check this checkbox", you should explain why, and what the consequences are. When you tell the user to "click commit", explain what that means. When you tell the user to select a "planar" UV map, maybe this would be a good spot to quickly explain what the different types of UV maps are...

These are just some little examples. Generally, your tutorials are very good at explaining the reasons behind the clicks. But sometimes, you miss a good opportunity to teach. Let's think about other cases, and even if they don't apply to the case at hand, a very short explanation would fo a long way.

Just my $.02. Keep up the awesome work!

en7en - "that pagoda guy..."
Part-time Hermit
#136 Old 1st May 2006 at 6:21 PM
I agree with en7en that it's important to understand what you're doing and why, but if you take a very long tutorial, like JWoods' object tutorial in its several different versions, if you explain the reasons for each and every step, it would be at least twice as long as it is already, and might also confuse and overwhelm many beginners who are already struggling to follow every single step. This kind of information can also be provided elsewhere, for example Numenor has separate articles on explaining what the different cloning options mean, and so on. All of that is important information, but putting all into one beginner tutorial would be too much, in my personal opinion.
Test Subject
#137 Old 1st May 2006 at 10:15 PM
that makes no sense to me!
Test Subject
#138 Old 1st May 2006 at 11:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lilwashu76
What's Sims 2 Poster Importer, exactly?
Where do you find this download? I have been wanting to create posters for a long time.

PLEASE READ BEFORE REPLYING: No, I am not a satanist. Infact, I just love the numba "six", therefore, I repeat it three times for no reason. 666 7 eight 9! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA get it? I added "i" in front of it because it will not let a name start with a number.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#139 Old 1st May 2006 at 11:09 PM
Yes, en7en, I agree with you 100%: I think you have noticed how much effort I put in explaining the meaning of some procedures. But, as IgnorantBliss pointed out, there are two tipe of users: some just want to "create" something, and some others (unfortunately, much fewer) want to learn and understand.
That's why I've created the InfoCenter: there, you can find useful (and in-depth) info about the CRES, the UVmapping tecniques, the various image formats, etc...
I think we must provide different levels of information, so to allow advanced user to evolve, and allow newbies not to get confused.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Part-time Hermit
#140 Old 2nd May 2006 at 4:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by goddess1girl
that makes no sense to me!

What are you talking about? Please, be more specific.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#141 Old 2nd May 2006 at 9:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by i666sixsixsix666
Where do you find this download? I have been wanting to create posters for a long time.

I'm not sure that the Poster Importer is still available. It's an old tool, whose function were included in SimPE long ago. You can use SimPE's "Photo Studio"(in Tools -> Object Creation) to create many different paintings and posters.
The first time you call the Photo Studio, SimPE check if in your system there are the needed templates; if not, you will be asked if you want to download them.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#142 Old 15th May 2006 at 4:21 PM
Cool but...
I downloed the stuff but it says '.NET Framework v1.1 does not seem to be instellad...' and I can't find it in the links

I'm Bored!
98% of teenagers believe stupid statistics. If you're one of the 2% who doesn't, copy & paste this in your siggy.
Part-time Hermit
#143 Old 15th May 2006 at 5:11 PM
There is a link for NET Framework at the SimPE site on the same page where you download SimPE.
Test Subject
#144 Old 21st May 2006 at 12:09 PM
Default Tutorials by Video?
Hi, thank you for all the great tutorials. My head is swimming but I'm determined to learn!

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any Sims specific videos to download (or stream) that just does a walk through of the steps to meshing, coloring, etc. It wouldnt really need to have step by step, just a general overview with narration to get a feel of how it all comes together.

I've seen other 3d video tutorials, but since they don't use Simpe, etc, it's hard to put it all together.
Just wondering. Thanks.
Test Subject
#145 Old 21st May 2006 at 1:39 PM
I wanna creat a new tv but how do i do it
Part-time Hermit
#146 Old 21st May 2006 at 2:01 PM
bebobu, if you haven't created custom objects before, I recommend you start with JWoods' object tutorial in the tutorial section before trying a TV.
Test Subject
#147 Old 22nd Jun 2006 at 11:52 PM
Hi hi!

I've ready every page in this thread and no one happened to mention which was not better but the more 'preferred' milkshape or wings for common object making, furnishings, paintings, ect...things that dont do nothing really but look nice? I'm just starting out so I thought I would ask being a complete newb and all.

Also I noticed there was alot of requests for 'working' Poster Importer link...I just DLed it last night so I know its at

http://downloads.gamingaccess.com/i...hp?file_id=3138

If the link doesnt work just run a search at gamingaccess in the sims 2 catagory for poster importer like I did

To those who DL my creations and give thanks they are much appreciated. Please feel free to use any of my creations however you like. If you can improve upon them then feel free to. Now quit reading my siggy and go sim! *wink*
The ModFather
retired moderator
#148 Old 23rd Jun 2006 at 12:01 AM
There is not a commonly or widely preferred 3D editor: each creator has his own preferences.
I can only say that Milkshape is the most used, but this doesn't mean it's the best
You see, some meshes are easier to deal with (non-animated meshes), and can be edited with any 3D program.
But clothings, and animated objects (including objects like food or sofas, that have "morphed" animation) are very difficult to edit if you don't have Milkshape.

Personally (and mind that meshing is definitely NOT my greatest ability ) I prefer Wings. But still I need Milkshape for the animated objects.

Test Subject
#149 Old 23rd Jun 2006 at 12:47 PM
Thanks hun. I decided to download all of them and give each one a test drive to see which suited my needs better. Probably the most logical plan I've had in days...Space isnt an issue for me so I suppose it cant hurt to have an extra 3d program laying about hehe

To those who DL my creations and give thanks they are much appreciated. Please feel free to use any of my creations however you like. If you can improve upon them then feel free to. Now quit reading my siggy and go sim! *wink*
Test Subject
#150 Old 2nd Jul 2006 at 3:00 AM
Default damn JWoods
Don't download JWoods "milkshape 3D" Link Because I now have a trojan virus on my computer. Thank god for Nortons!
Page 6 of 12