Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jan 2024 at 3:42 PM Last edited by sim4fan1 : 21st Feb 2024 at 12:07 AM.
Default (solved)Anva's Nail Overlay suddenly flashing pink
Hello,
I was able to get back to TS2 after months (turns out I had a bad piece of CC which prevented the game to load all together!). I've downloaded quite a few new things, but I'm not quite sure why I've got a new issue.
When I try to apply any nails from this overlay box, they start flashing pink (it use to work fine, don't know when it stopped working):

-I thought it must have been a conflict with another accessory, but I haven't added any new ones recently.
-Then I tried to delete the contents of "thumbnails" & the "accessory.package" and "cigen.package" in the folder.
-I tried to look for any conflicts with HCDU Plus and nothing came up.

At this point I still think it's some kind of conflict with something else, but before I dive into the 50/50 method (which takes my pc ages to load, way too much CC) does anyone have any hints about what it could be? Everything else runs quite smoothly, but I can add my specs if it helps. I have the 4GB patch and I havne't seen anything else flashing pink so far...

Thank you!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Jan 2024 at 5:00 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 23rd Jan 2024 at 9:41 PM.
Are you sure nothing else on the lot is flashing pink?

Flashing pink tends to be a problem with the texture memory, more so than the CC itself. I've only seen an item flash pink once when it wasn't related to regular pink-flashing, and I suspect that could've been from having too big textures (2048x2048) or something similar, because nothing else started flashing around it.

These seem to be fairly normal accessories (linked to a box), and with decent sizes for the textures (nothing above 1024), so can't see why they'd cause this issue just on their own. If they were flashing blue, that would more indicate something was wrong with the items.

A few things I've noticed with the recolors that's slightly off is that they've kept the "stdMatSpecPower: 1e+002" setting - I'm not sure if that would cause any issues, as it seems the regular EAxis glasses also have this, but when I make accesories I usually change this one to a plain number just in case (lower number usually means less shiny).

The "Type" under "cMaterialDefinition" in the TXMTs should also say "SimStandardMaterial" or they may show up a bit iffy. Could be your game is reacting to this problem with pink-flashing instead of showing the items off as weirdly shiny or see-through, which is the more common problem (if you recolor some of the glasses straight from Bodyshop, for use with accessory making, they'll have these two TXMT bugs - always a good idea to edit it before making recolors of the new acessory, or you're stuck with a lot of files to fix)

If you've got access to SimPE, you could edit the files yourself to see if the changes fix anything. If not, you can send a message to the creator of the item and let them know. (If you don't know how to use SimPE I can send you a few test files if you just want to check out if the issue is those two things, but there's a lot of files so I'm not going to fix all).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jan 2024 at 9:33 PM
Thank you for the tips simmer22, I was familiar with SimPE but it's been a while...
It's helpful knowing that it's not CC conflict, that saves me a lot of work!
I'm quite positive there's nothing else flashing ingame, I played for a bit with another family and even went to visit some community lots; I built some flats on a beach lot & created some Sims in CAS and everything was pretty smooth.

Now that I think about it, the only big change I made a couple of days ago was setting up the NVDIA Control Panel but I just added the .exe to the list, haven't touched any other settings. I found a post online about flashing pink in general, I might try some things from there.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 23rd Jan 2024 at 9:49 PM
Do you have the "Boolprop UseShaders True" cheat active, or not? It's commly used together with lighting hacks and similar, but also on its own to enable shaders. This one is a bit more likely to cause the thypical pink-flashing that starts and often quickly spreads when the texture memory gets dumped, but as long as you've got a proper setup and your computer and graphic card can handle shaders, it shouldn't be a problem.

Just wondering, since these accessories are set up with the wrong shader - could be part of the problem if you just noticed it after you set up the Nvidia card (it may have enabled shaders so they show properly ingame, which can cause some iffy material bugs with improperly set up items - accessories with still buggy settings, bump maps that weren't made correctly, and anything that hasn't had the TXMT edited to tone down extreme specular/shine).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Jan 2024 at 10:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Do you have the "Boolprop UseShaders True" cheat active, or not? It's commly used together with lighting hacks and similar, but also on its own to enable shaders. This one is a bit more likely to cause the thypical pink-flashing that starts and often quickly spreads when the texture memory gets dumped, but as long as you've got a proper setup and your computer and graphic card can handle shaders, it shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, I also use better nightlife, MM lighting mod, water overhaul and everything works fine. I also tried deactivating the cheat ingame - everything went flashing pink but once I turned it back on the flashing was gone (well, except for the nails).

Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Just wondering, since these accessories are set up with the wrong shader - could be part of the problem if you just noticed it after you set up the Nvidia card (it may have enabled shaders so they show properly ingame, which can cause some iffy material bugs with improperly set up items - accessories with still buggy settings, bump maps that weren't made correctly, and anything that hasn't had the TXMT edited to tone down extreme specular/shine).

I'm going away for a few days, so I wont' be able to playtest for a while. But I'll try to have a look at the values you suggested earlier and see how it goes I also followed some tips to improve the graphics settings and avoid flashing pink, but no luck.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 23rd Jan 2024 at 11:22 PM
Those tips really only help for the actual pink-flashing. If the pink-flashing you're experiencing is tied to the nails (and settings there), I doubt they're going to help any if you're not experiencing pink-flashing elsewhere.

I'd say give it a try with editing the recolor files. Can't promise it will work, but it's the most likely solution, at least if other accessories work fine for you.
that chaos-loving Yosh'
staff: trainee moderator
#7 Old 14th Feb 2024 at 7:28 PM Last edited by LimeyYoshi : 14th Feb 2024 at 7:54 PM.
@sim4fan1 - did you find a solution by now?

I, too, use platinumaspiration's nail overlay box, and a lighting mod, namely dreadpirate's update of Gunmod's Radiance Lighting.
And I, too, get the pink flashing only for the nails. Nothing else flashes pink, and I play in a near empty 'hood. I rarely get any pink flashing at all when playing, so I doubt it's anything to do with the texture memory.

I instead think it's the combination of this nail overlay box and lighting mods.
I have other overlay boxes, such as AppleWaterSugar's 3D Eyelashes - they work just fine.
Taking just the "shaderfixes" files out from the Downloads solves the pink flashing. With the shader fixes, it is back.

What I will do - and what you might want to do too - is contact platinumaspiration and see if they have an idea. I will also try the possible solution that @simmer22 proposed, though.

EDIT: Indeed, changing "StandardMaterial" to "SimStandardMaterial" does the trick. This now means for me to do 20 edits to all 60 recolour files. Welp.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Feb 2024 at 8:10 PM
Hey @LimeyYoshi,
I'm back for a few days but didn't have the chance to open SimPE yet.

It does make sense though because I remember reinstalling the maxis match lighting mod (my game wouldn't open and I went full on repair, thinking it would fix the problem).

I still don't know exactely when I'll have the chance to edit the files, but I'm glad Simmer22's solution seems to be working!
that chaos-loving Yosh'
#9 Old 14th Feb 2024 at 8:43 PM
Hey @sim4fan1 - I messaged the creator of the nail box (who actually just put the makeup into a box format instead of requiring you to change a Sim's nails via the headgear / glasses tab - they didn't originally make those nails) and they told me they will be working on an update / fix at some point. So if you're not that much in need of coloured nails, editing 1,200 TXMT resources along the way, I suppose you could also just wait for said update.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Feb 2024 at 9:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LimeyYoshi
Hey @sim4fan1 - I messaged the creator of the nail box (who actually just put the makeup into a box format instead of requiring you to change a Sim's nails via the headgear / glasses tab - they didn't originally make those nails) and they told me they will be working on an update / fix at some point. So if you're not that much in need of coloured nails, editing 1,200 TXMT resources along the way, I suppose you could also just wait for said update.

I'm indeed avoiding using the nails for now - I'm glad at least we now what's going on!

I'll wait for the update thank you so much for letting me know @LimeyYoshi!
that chaos-loving Yosh'
#11 Old 19th Feb 2024 at 12:36 PM
Just pinging you again @sim4fan1 because platinumaspiration has uploaded the fixed nail box. They do not seem to have announced this in their post, but their SimFileShare and Mediafire links are all updated. I can confirm all 60 nails of the "Fingernail Variety Project" system work out-of-the-box now, not sure about the other one.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 19th Feb 2024 at 1:47 PM
Thank you so much for the heads up @LimeyYoshi! I hope it will work now so that I can retrieve one of my older hoods, as some Sims were already wearing the nails & I couldn't get rid of them
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 21st Feb 2024 at 12:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LimeyYoshi
Just pinging you again @sim4fan1 because platinumaspiration has uploaded the fixed nail box. They do not seem to have announced this in their post, but their SimFileShare and Mediafire links are all updated. I can confirm all 60 nails of the "Fingernail Variety Project" system work out-of-the-box now, not sure about the other one.
Finally working in my game too thank you so much to both Simmer22 for the advice & LimeyYoshi for finding the actual solution