Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Aug 2012 at 11:13 PM
Default Corrupt Sim Seems to be Crashing Game, Advice?
Well, here's the story, I'll try not to make it too lengthy - My game was crashing upon "save" and I seem to have narrowed it down to one sim, which seems odd to me. Usually a problem is due to 1) a corrupt lot or 2) bad or conflicting cc of some sort, don't you think?

Yes I have a lot of cc, too much I'm sure. I can't stop, it's my addiction :lovestruc . But there's NO custom clothes or skins or heads whatsoever. I have complete collection by the way, so I have used the sim creator program that comes with that, and added lots of custom textures, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. I haven't used it for quite awhile. My sim Calista is a normal sim, she was wearing a leather get-up that comes with the game, so nothing custom there.

O.K. her house was a house that came with the game. A small house. My ton of cc consists Mostly of things like couches, recolors, a lot of bathroom items , toilets , showers etc. Her house was decorated with mostly custom furniture that She had been using for days , weeks!

The toilet , sink and shower had been used all this time. Well the sink broke and needed repair. Since Calista only has 1 mechanical skill, I decided to call the repairman. The maid was also there at the same time. He showed up, and was fixing the sink. I hit "save" and the game crashed.

I reset my computer , and reloaded game numerous times. The repairman managed to finish fixing the sink, he left , the maid left. I even deleted the fixed sink. BUT no matter what I did it crashed upon "Save" , but only on Calista's lot. I tested other families and lots and they save fine.

Is it the custom sink that just happened to crash my game when it broke and the repairman showed up? The repairman himself? The combo of maid and repairman? The whole lot?

The ONLY other odd thing I discovered is Calista shows as having 1 friend from the neighborhood screen, yet in her panel there is no one listed as friend.

I evicted her and bulldozed her lot, game crashed. I went back in and the game Did evict her, she's in CAS. The house is bulldozed. AND the empty lot is NOT corrupt. I went to it , renamed it, placed an object or two and saved it just fine.

I placed Calista on a different empty lot. When I went to "save" , the game crashed. So my Sim whom I created , and have played for a number of sim days , and has NO CC whatsoever is crashing my game.

I'm about to delete her, but I sure would like to be able to keep her. Any ideas?

I know I've overdone the cc. But I'm not going to test every single downloaded object. I do have simcop, and it finds no problem. I DID discover some recolored lavalamps crashed my game the other day and I deleted all those.

Also I just did a complete deletion of all my computer's cookies and history etc, a cleandisk, and defrag. It's a newish computer too.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 13th Aug 2012 at 11:55 PM
File cop doesn't check objects. I always batch tested my objects as some of them, if faulty could do some damage to lots etc.

It's been so long since I've played the original sims, that I'm not really sure to what to tell you.

Out of curiosity, have you tried putting in the same sink in a house with a sim you don't care about, waiting till it breaks and calling a repairman?

I do remember when I batch tested objects I'd make sure to test the functions on them all. I don't entirely recall why, but it seems to ring a bell that some objects would place fine and seem ok but when you interacted with them or sometimes when they procced an event they'd cause problems with the game. Like you I have loads of cc, way too much to hunt through and guess what was causing the problem, I found it easier to test each item on install and find problems that way. (It helped that I loved to switch sims and houses a lot since I was testing all those downloads as well.

My point is, assuming I'm even remembering correctly, then unless you've seen this sink break before then it can't be assumed that it was functioning 100% even if it appeared ok.
Out of curiosity I'd test the sink again in the same situation and see what happens. Still.....it would seem a bit strange that it would damage your sim rather than your lot.

It could just be that you have a file associated with this particular sim that's corrupted.

Wish I could be of more help to you, and I hope someone out there has the answer for you
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Aug 2012 at 12:43 AM
Thank you Chickieteeta. Yes I actually went back to playing sims 1. I find it fun and relaxing. I have All of them , I have sims 3 but decided I didn't like it anymore and it has so many problems.

You're right I Should test all the objects when I first download them into the game, and I don't.

I suppose I will maybe make a test sim and house and test the sink. She used the sink for a number of days before it even broke.

It is weird as all you know what that the Sim is now corrupt, Not the lot or anything else that I can find.

The lavalamps that I discovered were corrupted. All I did was download and install, and then I was going through buy mode, placing each on a table one by one, I suppose that was sort-of a test, and right away it crashed straight from buy mode to the table I placed it on.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Aug 2012 at 7:10 PM Last edited by zorba2357 : 14th Aug 2012 at 7:31 PM.
I think I'll focus on building some houses, (And try to use only or mostly maxis walls/floors/ and objects). I would like to build a tiki house on stilts, but bigger than my last one. Then I'll save the userdata file, and when my game game crashes and I need to do a full uninstall/reinstall, at least I can say I'll have something saved to show for it, and can import them back into my new game.

Also I keep really good track of my downloads in subfolders so I do know exactly what sink it was and where I got it.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 14th Aug 2012 at 9:46 PM
AFAIK, there's no real problem with deleting her and then making an identical Callista. Didn't deletion corruption start with Sims2? The only thing I became aware of that glitched sims was losing more skill points than they had - they'd never be able to get that skill again. But it didn't crash the game.

BTW, if it says 1 Friend in the neighborhood screen, but she has no friends? She's got one sim who's "close enough for gummint" work. The neighborhood friend counter counts people who are almost at the friend state as well as full friends.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th Aug 2012 at 10:19 PM
Peni Griffin, yeah she was Close to being friends with Jeff Pleasant. That was confusing me that it said she had one friend , and also the Pleasants had 1 friend. Now that she's in the CAS bin , the Pleasants have 0 friends.

I can easily remake her. She'll have no skills though and will have to start at the bottom, also no career yet. And instead of building, I went and downloaded! It's addicting. I was just going to Look at the pretty houses! It's amazing how much is still out there for sims 1.

I used to delete my sims 2 sims without any issue. Just one or two, or like 1 family at a time, not a mass deletion.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 15th Aug 2012 at 12:48 AM
Zorba, if you want a Sim to come out of the family screen with skills, there's a simple method: 1 - Create the Sim as a child, 2 - Go to the family screen, 3 - Go back to the create a Sim screen and edit the Sim by making her an adult. She will enter the game with a certain amount of randomly assigned skills.

BTW, if you have backed up your game, you could always replace the current character file with an earlier version that did not crash. This wouldn't help if there was some piece of custom content on the Sim that caused the problem. The way to know which file belongs to which character is to look it up with a program like Sim Metamorphoser (from here: http://www.simwardrobe.com/). Even without changing the heads, it will help you to locate the identifying number assigned to any particular Sim.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Aug 2012 at 3:07 AM
VerDeTerre, Thanks but I just don't feel like downloading a complicated program. I'm Sure she had no cc. I suppose I don't know what number her character file is. I have never messed with the character files in sims 1.

However , you have given me an idea to at least get my house back. I'm pretty sure I saved the userdata at least once or twice. I could just replace the house file . But ..............I don't know if the sim is there! I guess not because She is the character file - right? So the .iff file that goes in house file is Just the house.

That's what I just did today for the first time in this game, downloaded some houses and installed them. They are Nice! I wish there were more houses made for the empty lots in the expanded neighborhood, lot 50 and the higher #'s. Instead everyone makes lots for #3 and #9 etc.

Or maybe I should just build something new on the deleted house lot.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 15th Aug 2012 at 4:05 AM
Right, the house file is one thing and the character file is another. The lot number corresponds to the iff file number in your neighborhood folder.

Some sites have houses for the Unleashed lots, but you're right, a lot of them are just for the first ten lots of the original neighborhood. One way to look for them is to put the word "Unleashed" in the search title.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Aug 2012 at 4:57 AM
You know what , how come when I installed my game this last time, and replaced the Goth house with my previously re-built Goth house, the family was there too? I guess if it's the maxis pre-mades, they are already in the character file and so show up on that lot? But if it's a sim I created I would have to find and install the character file too?

Yes that's a good idea to search for" Unleashed" Lots. Of course there are 6 other neighborhoods with totally blank lots from 1-10, but even 2 neighborhoods is a stretch for me
Mad Poster
#11 Old 15th Aug 2012 at 5:15 AM
Good question about the family from one game staying in the re-installed lot. Now I don't know. I could have sworn that I've swapped out houses only to have my families end up somewhere else. At this point, I can't remember if that was the family bin or no place at all. I'll have to play with that some one of these fine days.

I am in love with the original Maxis families. I love playing the first two neighborhoods over and over again. I copy them into neighborhoods 3, 4, 5, 6, etc... and leave Neighborhoods 1 and 2 as my untouched originals. That way, the houses and characters are always on file.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 15th Aug 2012 at 6:40 PM
VerDeTerre, that's actually a good idea! If you leave 'hood 1 and 2 untouched, they are always there to copy and you don't have to uninstall/reinstall, or any other fancy way of getting them back.

What exactly do you copy to neighborhood 3, 4, 5 etc? Is it Just the houses folder, only certain houses, the whole character file also?

So say I want neighborhood 3 to be an exact replica of neighborhood 1, exactly what folders or files do I copy? Is it the whole userdata folder or just certain files within it?
Mad Poster
#13 Old 15th Aug 2012 at 7:54 PM
It's pretty easy: Copy UserData (that's Neighborhood 1), delete UserData3, rename the copy to UserData3. You still should back up your game just in case something goes wrong. But don't forget, if you have backed up your game and want things back to the original form, you can grab the UserData folder from your backup copy.

The one thing I've noticed is that sometimes the houses don't copy. My solution to that has been to briefly play each house in the original hood (even if it's just to enter and do one little task and then save). I don't know enough about computers to explain why this works. I believe that in some way the data needs this in order to save. I even through in my versions of the Maxis families into the Sim Bin in my master copy as well as my all-time favorite family that I love to play from the beginning over and over.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 20th Aug 2012 at 8:42 PM
Maybe when you play the house and save, it creates a cache file, or one of those other type files in the folder? Well I went ahead and deleted the sim since I could not save any lot I put her on without a game crash (even though when reloading game it Did save). I also deleted the one bathroom set with that sink (though I have like 5 others same set different color!). I figured it wasn't worth bothering with.

I've been playing the Pleasant's in this great big house. No cheats. They finally could afford a kitchen sink. I got them a maxis steel sink . It broke on day 1! Well they did have a massive pile of dishes. SO I called the repairman, holding my breath and hoping it wasn't He who crashes the game. The game actually Did crash (it must sound like this happens a lot in my game but it really doesn't!) right about when I noticed the sink was broke. I wasn't saving though. My husband had actually just walked in the back door IRL. I'm wondering if my computer DVD drive is sensitive ?

I loaded the game back up and saved it fine. I made sure to save after the sink broke but Before the repairman showed up! Then he showed up, fixed the sink. I was careful Not to save yet, in case it did crash, I would have a decent save to go back to. I waited until the sink was repaired and the repairman AND the maid were both off the lot. It saved fine.

I love all the bathroom sets I've downloaded BUT even though the showers look so nice and are so cheap, it leaks every single time a sim takes a shower. There is a huge puddle everytime to clean up. I'm getting tired of that! I don't remember if the regular showers do that? Or if it's these custom showers, but it's pretty annoying. And I mean the Whole bathroom floor is wet every single time. They have "cleaned" the shower, and it isn't broken.

That's a good idea too, to have all the families you want or have created in the CAS bin ready to be moved in. Weird I know but I could talk on and on about the sims computer files! When I played sims 2 (a long time ago , don't have installed on current computer) I downloaded so much cc , and created new neighborhoods, and lots. I stared at and saved, and messed with the computer files for it so much that I would literally Dream of my game files at night!
Mad Poster
#15 Old 20th Aug 2012 at 10:31 PM
Zorba ---that's hysterical! You're making me feel like less of an addict Thanks for that!

I loved adding custom content to The Sims, but there did seem to be more problems with the game as I loaded it on. Have you gotten the Living It Up litterbox? It fixes something at the lot level in the game that happens when Sims play fetch with dogs and when dogs leave "presents" around the property. I think it's more than my imagination, that when I've started having issues on a lot, I've put in the litter box some place and the issues disappear.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 28th Oct 2017 at 9:12 PM
Playing the sims 1 Again. I had an issue, googled it, found myself here. Pretty funny. Oddly it's the Same issue. A sim I created and played a lot has now become corrupt. The details are different. I've been careful to go Slower with the custom content. While he has Some, I now test each item on the lot instead of just adding it all at once.

In any case I realized when I read this thread - the common thread is he is about to become "friends" with another sim, he's super close, 49 points I think. The other sim is Bella. Why would this cause my sim to become corrupt ? It Could be other things like cc, but it's Interesting in both instances he was This close to being "friends". And I worked really hard on it too.

That's one thing I noticed about sims 1, Even with the complete collection it is still almost impossible to get friends or advance. It's very challenging (and addicting). I notice some of you are still here from years ago, well Hey! (waves).

BTW it's definitely the sim himself, Not the lot. I bulldozed the lot, removed some trees, and It's fine. I moved him to a new lot, IT crashed.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 12:27 AM
If it were me, I'd delete him and recreate him. Personally, while it takes some effort to build skills, it's mostly fun and the relationships can be built quickly if you take the Sim out to dinner.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 11:09 PM
Hi VerDeTerre, I will try that, taking a sim out to dinner. Relationship building, and being "Friends" seems SO hard in my game. Maybe I am going about it wrong. I made a lot of phone calls, even invite them over.

But he about passes out from exhaustion right when they are close to being friends. Well, it seems like a lot of effort and very difficult. I recently reinstalled and began playing the game, and spent a lot of time creating new families, building their houses, and establishing them in the neighborhood.

I DID discover the "carrot" (custom content) recolored maxis Phones that I placed in a lot of houses had NO "call neighbor" option! So I had to go through and delete them all, and give everyone a boring beige maxis phone. Who knows that Could be the cause of the corruption problem. However since I had Same problem years ago, I don't remember for sure Which recolored phones I used, if any.

I am sad I had to bulldoze his home. Maybe I will recreate him. He's sitting in the sim bin all pitiful .
Mad Poster
#19 Old 31st Oct 2017 at 12:28 PM
Calling Sims doesn't have a great deal of effect, I've learned. Better to take them out (but be careful: If the friendship level is high enough, this can blossom into a romance) or get together and chat chat chat (just repeat actions over and over - talk, joke, talk, joke). If your Sim is too exhausted to make friends, let him take off the occasional day and let him spend time getting to know people. Heading out to a community lot is a great way to meet other Sims.

Once I had a Sim make lots of "friends" accidentally by skilling on the concoction station. All of those "friends" were smitten with him because of the love potion, but they all counted for friends, so I figured it was all good.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 31st Oct 2017 at 6:34 PM
I just hope my game isn't glitched in the way as soon as a sim makes a friend they become corrupt? It's happened Twice now, and 5 years apart! Not sure what to think about that. I did totally delete my sim from the game. It took a few times of loading and crashing. Then I went to the Goth house, since she was his "Friend". He was gone from her relationship panel as if he never existed. And everything was perfectly fine with the Goth family. I'm expanding their house.

I actually have not even sent a sim out and about yet in this current incarnation. I admit I spent months gathering custom content. Searching the net, and putting it in game, and setting up and creating families and their houses. Concoction station, I don't think I ever even used it! I'll have to try that. I guess I need to be more "creative" in making sim friends. I also can't help wondering if it's an issue (with my game) when they are Almost but not quite friends as far as 49 points. Maybe I should wait until they are friends for sure, if they aren't passing out from exhaustion that is. And BTW Happy Halloween!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 2nd Jun 2021 at 9:18 PM
Not sure of the site policy for bumping threads. But here I am June 2021, feeling compelled to play Sims 1! Even though it was about a year ago it crashed on me again. Just loading it up and seeing all the families I've created especially, and hearing the simple peaceful music of the neighborhood. I've tried playing other games and nothing seems to do it for me (except sims 2 and medieval and a few other sims games). Guess I'm taking a chance even though it most likely will crash at some point. I realized it may not be when they make a friend, but it could be some other , unfortunately unknown factor.

It always happens with a sim I've played A LOT and get to a certain point. That's why it's so frustrating to have to abandon that sim, or the whole game. And I really don't want to delete / uninstall/ reinstall the whole game and my boatload of cc , that I love!!! Just created a new sim, moved them into a new beautiful custom modern house, and we're ready to go

There doesn't seem to be any great solution other than uninstall all and start again vanilla.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#22 Old 2nd Jun 2021 at 9:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zorba2357
It always happens with a sim I've played A LOT and get to a certain point. That's why it's so frustrating to have to abandon that sim, or the whole game. And I really don't want to delete / uninstall/ reinstall the whole game and my boatload of cc , that I love!!!

Previously, when you had the problem, you said it was a sim you played a lot- did you play them to the 100 days mark to get the pop-ups? Also, what version of the game are you running- and from disc or other?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 3rd Jun 2021 at 12:16 AM Last edited by zorba2357 : 3rd Jun 2021 at 1:50 AM.
It is - the "complete collection" on disc. I don't recall Ever getting a pop up that said 100 days. Last time I abandoned the game (about a year ago) My sim became unable to leave the lot. I could still play. It actually WOULD save, i discovered, even though it crashed. So I could go back in and continue the game. It just became - disappointing he couldn't leave the lot, and the crashing became tiresome. Also I'm absolutely positive it's the SIM that is corrupted, not the lot itself or any custom content . I did testing on this.

Um, I don't use the disc at all after installation, however. I'm running Windows 10 and had to use a modified start icon. Otherwise the game won't start or initialize. Doubt that has to do with my problem though. Is there somewhere that shows how many days they've played? I can't remember.

I Doubt I got to 100 days however. I think "A Lot" is relative, and a lot to me is probably a lot less than others play.

I just windowed the game and it froze, I had to exit with task mngr. Have to remember not to window. I'm sure there's a fix or mod for that too, but not up to it.

I Do snap A LOT of photos with the photo album. I wonder if it could possibly be the culprit?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#24 Old 3rd Jun 2021 at 11:55 AM
I was just trying to think of what events happen when you've had a sim for a long time, and the pop-ups at 100 days were the only thing I could think of!
Yes, if you have a huge photo album that could affect things as the game has to parse more files... you could try removing them maybe? I think they would be stored in [install location] \Maxis\The Sims\UserDatax (where x is the number of your neighbourhood). If you backup those userdata folders in their entirety, that's making a safe copy you can go back to if it doesn't work. Try deleting the contents of the PhotoAlbum folder in your neighbourhood and see if it helps.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 7th Jun 2021 at 8:57 PM Last edited by zorba2357 : 7th Jun 2021 at 9:38 PM.
I suppose going through the photo album OF the affected sim, "culling" it. Maybe getting rid of half the photos, is worth a try when I feel up to it. O.K. so I'm re aquainting myself with sims 1 photo album. I see the file is for the Whole neighborhood, not just the individual household or lot. For userdata (1) I have 2,542 files. Is that a lot of photos? I honestly don't know since I have nothing to compare it to. I suspect it's a lot however.

And it's only the sim I play a lot that gets corrupt, not the whole neighborhood.

The sim (his name is "tester" originally I used him to test cc) I noticed his photos take up about 1/3 to 1/4 of all the photos in the album.
Page 1 of 2