Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Feb 2024 at 7:21 AM
Default Safe place to download Sims 1 (& Hot Date, & House Party)
It seems like these days, it's difficult to download the original Sims let alone it's expansion packs. And trying to download it online is risky business.

Does anyone know of any safe places you can download the original Sims and it's expansion packs; particularly Hot Date & House Party are the particular expansions I'm interested in.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 26th Feb 2024 at 4:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mythik1988
It seems like these days, it's difficult to download the original Sims let alone it's expansion packs. And trying to download it online is risky business.

Does anyone know of any safe places you can download the original Sims and it's expansion packs; particularly Hot Date & House Party are the particular expansions I'm interested in.

Thanks in advance.

There's a guide that explains where to get the game and how to install it at https://www.reddit.com/r/sims1/comm..._on_windows_10/. The Sims 1 doesn't work on modern operating systems without Makin' Magic, because the cracked version of sims.exe that works on Windows 7, 8, 10, and 11 requires that, but luckily, the link in the tutorial is to The Complete Collection, which has all seven expansion packs.

I've downloaded it from The Internet Archive, myself, and it works fine and didn't contain anything it shouldn't.

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Feb 2024 at 5:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Corylea
There's a guide that explains where to get the game and how to install it at https://www.reddit.com/r/sims1/comm..._on_windows_10/. The Sims 1 doesn't work on modern operating systems without Makin' Magic, because the cracked version of sims.exe that works on Windows 7, 8, 10, and 11 requires that, but luckily, the link in the tutorial is to The Complete Collection, which has all seven expansion packs.

I've downloaded it from The Internet Archive, myself, and it works fine and didn't contain anything it shouldn't.

And will it cover downloading Hot Date and House Party?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 26th Feb 2024 at 6:50 PM
The complete collection contains all of the EPs.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 26th Feb 2024 at 6:56 PM
And will it cover downloading Hot Date and House Party?

I said this in my previous post:

the link in the tutorial is to The Complete Collection, which has all seven expansion packs.

I don't know how I can make that any clearer?

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Feb 2024 at 5:11 AM
Thank you
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Feb 2024 at 1:59 PM
I'm having a bit of trouble downloading it.

I've seemed to have installed it but having trouble booting it up. On the reddit link you posted, in the section If you do NOT have the disks, do this:, on no. 2, i have no idea what they mean by "apply compatibility mode" and I have no idea where I can find the "no-CD version of Sims.exe". I assumed it means the cracked version because in the link your reddit link referred to seems to instruct a similar thing with the cracked version. However, following that link the program doesn't pan out as they instructed; when I replace the Sims shortcut in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\The Sims" with the cracked Sims shortcut, it doesn't give me an option to replace but rather, a popup pops up and asks "Windows cannot create a shortcut here. Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead?". When I say yes, or when I double click on the cracked shortcut, it simply says "Fatal Error: cannot find the sims directory".

I'm probably being a big boomer and not understanding something really basic, but thanks in advance for the further help.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 27th Feb 2024 at 6:20 PM
I've seemed to have installed it but having trouble booting it up. On the reddit link you posted, in the section If you do NOT have the disks, do this:, on no. 2, i have no idea what they mean by "apply compatibility mode"

Go to the cracked version of sims.exe, RIGHT-click on it, and choose "Properties" from the list. You'll get a pop-up box with several tabs along the top. Click on the "Compatibility" tab and put a checkmark in the box next to "Run this program as an administrator." While you're there, set the Compatibility mode to "Windows XP (Service Pack 2.)" (Occasionally people have luck with Service Pack THREE if Service Pack TWO doesn't work for them, but try two first.)

I have no idea where I can find the "no-CD version of Sims.exe". I assumed it means the cracked version because in the link your reddit link referred to seems to instruct a similar thing with the cracked version.

Yes. The file you downloaded, when extracted, contains a folder called Game Files. Inside that folder are a bunch of other folders, one of which is The Sims Crack. Inside that folder is a version of Sims.exe that works with modern operating systems and doesn't get shut down because of old DRM.

However, following that link the program doesn't pan out as they instructed; when I replace the Sims shortcut in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\The Sims" with the cracked Sims shortcut, it doesn't give me an option to replace but rather, a popup pops up and asks "Windows cannot create a shortcut here. Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead?". When I say yes, or when I double click on the cracked shortcut, it simply says "Fatal Error: cannot find the sims directory".

It's not a SHORTCUT you're replacing; it's the actual executable! You need to REPLACE sims.exe with the cracked sims.exe.

This is covered under Step 3 in the "If you don't have the discs, do this" part of the tutorial. Here's what that says:
IF your computer tells you that it can't copy the new sims.exe into the folder, then you have a permissions problem. Windows 10 and 11 assume that the people who use them are stupid, so they shouldn't be allowed to change any of the files on their computer. But never fear, you can change that! To change the permissions, RIGHT-click on the Maxis folder and choose Properties. You'll get a small pop-up with several tabs. Click on the Security tab. There will be a list of group or user names. Scroll down that list until you find the entry that says Users (the name of your computer) and click on that. Right underneath that list, it says, "to change permissions, click Edit," so click Edit. That will get you ANOTHER pop-up. Click on Users again, and click the check box that says Full Control. Then click Apply, then click OK. That should give you the right to actually move files around on your own #@%$ computer! At least for the Maxis folder and its subfolders. :-)

I'm probably being a big boomer and not understanding something really basic, but thanks in advance for the further help.

I was born in 1958, myself, so please don't call it "being a big boomer." :-) :-)

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Feb 2024 at 2:43 AM
Go to the cracked version of sims.exe

It's not a SHORTCUT you're replacing; it's the actual executable! You need to REPLACE sims.exe with the cracked sims.exe.

This is covered under Step 3 in the "If you don't have the discs, do this" part of the tutorial. Here's what that says:
IF your computer tells you that it can't copy the new sims.exe into the folder, then you have a permissions problem. Windows 10 and 11 assume that the people who use them are stupid, so they shouldn't be allowed to change any of the files on their computer. But never fear, you can change that! To change the permissions, RIGHT-click on the Maxis folder and choose Properties. You'll get a small pop-up with several tabs. Click on the Security tab. There will be a list of group or user names. Scroll down that list until you find the entry that says Users (the name of your computer) and click on that. Right underneath that list, it says, "to change permissions, click Edit," so click Edit. That will get you ANOTHER pop-up. Click on Users again, and click the check box that says Full Control. Then click Apply, then click OK. That should give you the right to actually move files around on your own #@%$ computer! At least for the Maxis folder and its subfolders. :-)

Hmmm, still problem. I allowed permission but when I move the cracked application to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\The Sims", it just creates a shortcut to that file section and doesn't replace the Sims application there :/

When I double click on the cracked Sims file tho, it says "Cannot find The Sims data directory".

I was born in 1958, myself, so please don't call it "being a big boomer." :-) :-)

Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 28th Feb 2024 at 3:09 AM
Hmmm, still problem. I allowed permission but when I move the cracked application to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\The Sims", it just creates a shortcut to that file section and doesn't replace the Sims application there :/

When I double click on the cracked Sims file tho, it says "Cannot find The Sims data directory".

It says it can't find the data directory because you haven't moved the cracked sims.exe to the place it's supposed to go.

I didn't think I had to explain how to replace a file, but since you're having trouble, let me get specific.

Go to the cracked version of sims.exe and select it by single-clicking on it.
While that is selected hit Ctrl and c simultaneously. This copies the file.
Go to the place where The Sims is installed; this is usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\The Sims.
Making sure that you are IN that directory, hit Ctrl and v simultaneously. This pastes the file.
If you're doing it correctly, you should get a popup that says, "The destination already has a file named sims.exe"
Underneath that will be a list of things you can do. In order, those are
Replace the file in the destination, Skip this file, and Compare info for both files
Click on "Replace the file in the destination," and that will replace the sims.exe that has the bad DRM with the cracked version.

If your computer is not willing to replace the sims.exe with the cracked version, then the permissions did not get changed properly. Go back to that section of the tutorial and try again.

Once you have replaced sims.exe with the cracked version, RIGHT click on it, click on Properties, then click on the Compatibility tab of the Properties pop-up and make sure that the "Run this program as an administrator" box is checked and that the compatibility is set to Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Once the sims.exe has been properly replaced AND has been set to run as an administrator and in the proper compatibility mode, then start your game by double-clicking on that sims.exe, the one that you've just been working on. Do not try to start your game from the copy of sims.exe that's still in the installer's files; use the one you copied and pasted to the game's directory.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 28th Feb 2024 at 4:45 AM
It says it can't find the data directory because you haven't moved the cracked sims.exe to the place it's supposed to go.

I didn't think I had to explain how to replace a file, but since you're having trouble, let me get specific.

Go to the cracked version of sims.exe and select it by single-clicking on it.
While that is selected hit Ctrl and c simultaneously. This copies the file.
Go to the place where The Sims is installed; this is usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\The Sims.
Making sure that you are IN that directory, hit Ctrl and v simultaneously. This pastes the file.
If you're doing it correctly, you should get a popup that says, "The destination already has a file named sims.exe"
Underneath that will be a list of things you can do. In order, those are
Replace the file in the destination, Skip this file, and Compare info for both files
Click on "Replace the file in the destination," and that will replace the sims.exe that has the bad DRM with the cracked version.

If your computer is not willing to replace the sims.exe with the cracked version, then the permissions did not get changed properly. Go back to that section of the tutorial and try again.

Once you have replaced sims.exe with the cracked version, RIGHT click on it, click on Properties, then click on the Compatibility tab of the Properties pop-up and make sure that the "Run this program as an administrator" box is checked and that the compatibility is set to Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Once the sims.exe has been properly replaced AND has been set to run as an administrator and in the proper compatibility mode, then start your game by double-clicking on that sims.exe, the one that you've just been working on. Do not try to start your game from the copy of sims.exe that's still in the installer's files; use the one you copied and pasted to the game's directory.

It works!!! Guess I was suppose to the Ctrl + C/Ctrl + V rather than the drag + drop.

Thanks
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 28th Feb 2024 at 6:40 PM
Glad to hear it's working! Have fun.