Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#826 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 2:20 PM
Hi there I finally finished off my desk!

I have uploaded it and I am happy

anyway if you liked it or whatever you can download it now! here

http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=102696

As for your problem linegud I often have the same thing happen to me! My native language is spanish so I often mix up the words and take for granted it is well written ha ha
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#827 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 9:32 PM
Default Glass shelves
does somebody know why i cant see my post? whenever i post, it will appear but when i leave the page, it is gone when i come back. :nod:

Also when you are making glass shelves, do you map them? and is there a tut on inserting glass shelves into an object?
Part-time Hermit
#828 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 10:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bowbow2604
does somebody know why i cant see my post? whenever i post, it will appear but when i leave the page, it is gone when i come back. :nod:

If you use the back button on your browser to go back to the thread after posting, your post won't be visible. You need to refresh the topic to see it. And, please, use the edit button instead of making several posts in a row.
Inventor
#829 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 6:08 AM
Missing Parent! Parent Found?
Quote: Originally posted by XTS
Anyone: Does anyone have any knowledge of this SimPE error?

************** Exception Text **************
SimPe.Warning: No Parent was found in the Search Path!
(many links were listed here)

It is when I opened my hanging bed. It is the bed that I recently had here in this thread. I had sent someone a copy of this bed and they were having troubles finding it. I don't know if they have yet but this error concerns me.

Thanks in advance
xts

EDIT: It previews okay so far.. Nothing else thus far has happened.

But this (error) happened again and is when I click on the GMDC and am in PlugIn view. I also noticed (but am not at all familiar in this area) that the pie menu strings TTAs has no filename, neither does Slot File have a filename. Never really paid attention to these areas before that much so it may be nothing.

And it (error of missing parent) also happened again but under Joints subfile of GMDC.

ADDED: I also remembered when I saw that I have a large number of facets and SimPE notices this and tells me next to the "frame". This *may* be the reason? There are no joints listed under the gmdc. Should there be?

Cancel all the above, I believe SimPE is being finicky! I reopened the package and the joints loaded :D
I don't know what it's doing but left the information incase there's still something wrong with it missing a parent! That is strange!
Sorry for taking up space on the matter, used quotes to shrink it down a bit
xts

(Quote) ~ "If it isn't one thing, it's going to be another. It is usually one thing. Oh man, is it a mother" (The Mother of All Things) - PB
Field Researcher
#830 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 7:25 AM
Just wanna know has anyone fixed my fence?
Part-time Hermit
#831 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 7:33 AM

Also when you are making glass shelves, do you map them? and is there a tut on inserting glass shelves into an object?

If the glass has no texture, there is no need to map it. The glass shelves need to be a separate mesh subset from the solid parts, but they need no special treatment being inserted into an object. You can either clone a bookcase that has glass shelves already, or add a new subset to your package, but the new subset is going to need other files, too, like a Material Definition, a Shape entry and so on.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#832 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 8:33 AM
JucIEJ, once again, I haven't understood what is the problem; would you please post here a full package (I've found only a .obj file, some posts back), along with a detailed explanation?

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Instructor
#833 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 12:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
If the glass has no texture, there is no need to map it. The glass shelves need to be a separate mesh subset from the solid parts, but they need no special treatment being inserted into an object. You can either clone a bookcase that has glass shelves already, or add a new subset to your package, but the new subset is going to need other files, too, like a Material Definition, a Shape entry and so on.

I have to disagree with you here. You should always map your items. In the case of the glass maybe there will be a time in the future where you want to create a recolor for that part that is only partially transparent and has a texture. If you don't map it now, than you most likely won't be able to create that recolor with out having to update your mesh.

Eclectic Sims The place for your younger sims and unique animated items!
Charmed Sims Archives Gorgeous Clothing, Furnishings and more.
Two great sites ALL FREE NOW!!!
Part-time Hermit
#834 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 1:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SnowStorm
I have to disagree with you here. You should always map your items. In the case of the glass maybe there will be a time in the future where you want to create a recolor for that part that is only partially transparent and has a texture. If you don't map it now, than you most likely won't be able to create that recolor with out having to update your mesh.

Of course it won't do any harm to map the glass part, true. I don't know about other people, but when I create an object, I generally have in mind how I want the finished item to be, and if it's the kind of an object with glass where the glass is never going to have a pattern on it, then I don't bother. You can still play with the transparency of the glass, whether it's mapped or not.

To be able to easily make a recolor for the glass later, you would have had to add a texture and a material override for the glass when first creating the object, anyway, and I don't certainly include a texture image for any simple, untextured glass. So, in any case I'd have to tinker with the original package to be able to add a textured glass, if not with the mesh, then with the texture.

But, again it's about personal preference. My aim is to keep things as simple as possible.
Lab Assistant
#835 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 1:51 PM
IgnorantBliss, I have followed a tut on addind susets to an object but i completly got lost. do you know of any tut that are very specific? if so could you give me a link?
Part-time Hermit
#836 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 1:57 PM
IgnorantBliss, I have followed a tut on addind susets to an object but i completly got lost. do you know of any tut that are very specific? if so could you give me a link?

Which tutorial did you follow?
Instructor
#837 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 2:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
Of course it won't do any harm to map the glass part, true. I don't know about other people, but when I create an object, I generally have in mind how I want the finished item to be, and if it's the kind of an object with glass where the glass is never going to have a pattern on it, then I don't bother. You can still play with the transparency of the glass, whether it's mapped or not.

To be able to easily make a recolor for the glass later, you would have had to add a texture and a material override for the glass when first creating the object, anyway, and I don't certainly include a texture image for any simple, untextured glass. So, in any case I'd have to tinker with the original package to be able to add a textured glass, if not with the mesh, then with the texture.

But, again it's about personal preference. My aim is to keep things as simple as possible.

I also have in mind what the finished item looks like. But I also keep in mind what kind of recolors I may want in the future. Adding a texture to a recolor that didn't have one is actually pretty easy, and doesn't require any modification to the original package. I look at it this way better to take a minute now to map the glass, then having to modify and rerelease the package if you decide to do something advanced.

This goes to uvmapping in general actually, one mapping that looks ok for a plain color could look horrid for a pattern, stripes, image or words. Trust me this is from experience!

Eclectic Sims The place for your younger sims and unique animated items!
Charmed Sims Archives Gorgeous Clothing, Furnishings and more.
Two great sites ALL FREE NOW!!!
Lab Assistant
#838 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 3:39 PM
when you make a game system, like a PS2, what do you get rid of in the geometric data container, and what do you add or keep.

:salute:

also, when you make a glass shelf, do you add a texture to it or leve it blank? and if you dont map it what do you do?
Part-time Hermit
#839 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 5:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SnowStorm
I also have in mind what the finished item looks like. But I also keep in mind what kind of recolors I may want in the future. Adding a texture to a recolor that didn't have one is actually pretty easy, and doesn't require any modification to the original package. I look at it this way better to take a minute now to map the glass, then having to modify and rerelease the package if you decide to do something advanced.

This goes to uvmapping in general actually, one mapping that looks ok for a plain color could look horrid for a pattern, stripes, image or words. Trust me this is from experience!

I definitely agree on the uv-mapping, and because doing good quality uv-mapping is a pain in the butt, I try to avoid it if it's something I'm not going to need . I always try to map my objects in a way that a variety of textures would look good on them. I did not know that you can add a texture to the recolor package only without modifying the original. That is good to know. I guess now you made me change my stubborn ways, and I can't leave a mesh unmapped from here on

Bowbow, I don't know of a good tutorial on adding a subset to an object, but I'm planning on writing a little article on that with Numenor's help, so if you're patient, soon we'll have one .
Inventor
#840 Old 12th Nov 2005 at 12:11 AM
I take that back. I got it again on the bed. It's after I've browsed through the files for a minute that it does taht. WHen I load the gmdc the first time, it scans the gloabals! Weird. Same error. I have the file saved if anyone wants to see it. The error file.
The other person still can't get the bed to work in their game but that could be an EP issue? But this error, this error keeps coming back.. Why?? This is the same bed that a few pages back was all skewed in different directions.. Thanks to JWoods, it's fixed. But the error returns huanting me! What is this silly error and why won't it go away?
xts
Attached files:
File Type: txt  simpehangingbederror.txt (11.9 KB, 29 downloads)

(Quote) ~ "If it isn't one thing, it's going to be another. It is usually one thing. Oh man, is it a mother" (The Mother of All Things) - PB
Lab Assistant
#841 Old 12th Nov 2005 at 12:28 AM
XTS: this error looks like Quaxi should have a look at it. therefore have u taken into consideration posting the error in the SimPE forum at all ? just make sure the header is telling and u will get a response in no time...

EDIT: u r not using the latest version of SimPE ?
Inventor
#842 Old 12th Nov 2005 at 7:20 AM
I'm not?? UH OH. I thought I had the latest.. Thanks for the idea.. I wasn't (and am not) sure that it was related to SimPE or if it was related to the bed directly since it is only when that bed is opened that I"ve had the error..
Since I had the bed fixed in here, I thought it was appropriate to post here.
JWoods is slightly preoccupied at the moment and he's the one who fixed it.. Wasn't quite sure how to handle this..

Thanks Chrissy.. You're help is always appreciated :D

xts

EDIT: I updated my SimPe.. I like it That's what numenor meant about unchecking something... lol. I went into pagefile earlier and could not for the life of me figure out what he meant!
I did, however, decide to rebuild the bed.. I have found that it's a uni object anyways and thought it'd be best to be original if possible so I'm going to rebuild it.
I didn't get the error yet in the new version by the way.. That's a good thing! Me and errors just don't get along well.

Thanks Chrissy.. I appreciate you!

Lab Assistant
#843 Old 12th Nov 2005 at 9:24 AM
do you do clothing aswell, as I'm having a problem with importing my clothing meshes back into the game.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
I wuv my Bunny!

Visit my websites! Woodlandbunny Sims Portal
The ModFather
retired moderator
#844 Old 12th Nov 2005 at 10:51 AM
No, this thread is for objects only...

You can try posting on the Mesh Tool Clothing tutorial thread.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Lab Assistant
#845 Old 12th Nov 2005 at 5:57 PM
Numenor: I tried to make my fence recolorable as well but I messed it up - yet again.

I added a MMAT, amended the GMNDs with DataListExtensions and its references. the scenegrapher looks alright and I can create recolor packages. only my game doesn't care the least. all there is is the thumb for the mesh.

having messed it up I would expect something like my puter going poooooph, my game to crash or at least an error message showing up. but my game does not show the least bit of a reaction. how dares it doing this to me ???

would u know what I messed up this time ?
Field Researcher
#846 Old 12th Nov 2005 at 6:43 PM
i've a pretty stupind question ^_^

in my bed inside the OBJD i've 7 items

myBed
myBed - A
myBed - B
myBed - C
myBed - D
myBed - E - Head
myBed - F - Head

i've to assign a new GUID for every one of that idems or there is some tricks ?
Part-time Hermit
#847 Old 12th Nov 2005 at 7:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Max3D
i've a pretty stupind question ^_^

in my bed inside the OBJD i've 7 items

myBed
myBed - A
myBed - B
myBed - C
myBed - D
myBed - E - Head
myBed - F - Head

i've to assign a new GUID for every one of that idems or there is some tricks ?

Each one of those 7 object data items need their own new GUID, yes. There is no trick. Only update the MMATs for the main GUID (the one with no letter after the name).
The ModFather
retired moderator
#848 Old 12th Nov 2005 at 10:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chrissy6930
Numenor: I tried to make my fence recolorable as well but I messed it up - yet again.

I added a MMAT, amended the GMNDs with DataListExtensions and its references. the scenegrapher looks alright and I can create recolor packages. only my game doesn't care the least. all there is is the thumb for the mesh.

having messed it up I would expect something like my puter going poooooph, my game to crash or at least an error message showing up. but my game does not show the least bit of a reaction. how dares it doing this to me ???

would u know what I messed up this time ?

Unfortunately, not everything is recolourable in our beloved game
One of the not-recolourable things are the fences (and the roofs, and the neighborhood objects...). The only way to recolour the fences is to create a "fake-recolour": you have to clone your first fence, but check the option "Reference Original Mesh". This way, you'll end with a clone that doesn't contain any GMDC: the mesh is taken from your first fence; you only have to change the texture (and optionally assign a unique GUID).

In the catalog, you'll find two different fences, with the same mesh but with different colours.

Please note that the "Reference Original Mesh" was created to work with Maxis fences; I'm quite sure that it works even with custom fences, but who knows? If it doesn't work, let me know.

PS: I suggest to remove from the fence the MMATs and the tsDesignMode blocks from the first fence.

Lab Assistant
#849 Old 13th Nov 2005 at 1:23 AM
okay, im using wings and i don't know how to lower the poly count like you can in milkshape. i am using a tut on making an armoire and the author of the tut is using milkshape. i dont own ms and would like to know if there is any way to lowe the poly count.
Lab Assistant
#850 Old 13th Nov 2005 at 7:59 AM
Numenor: its not possible to make them color enabled at all ? hrrmmmmppphhh !!! and I so wanted to find a solution for all those thumbs being added to the catalog... oh well! I guess I cannot do anything about it then. thanx Numenor ! :wave:

EDITED to ADD: could u pls remove the file from the above post ? the system won't let me do it today... thanx!
Locked thread | Locked by: Reason: Please refer to the ACTIVE THREAD (http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=82084). This is only an archive of old posts.
Page 34 of 52