Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
#926 Old 21st Nov 2005 at 2:28 AM
You're very welcome! You posting them? If so, I'd like a link
Just be glad you don't have the curse that I have, spamming on accident! I go offtopic notoriously! :o I'm working on that but I sure get embarrassed when I do.
As for the tutorials, they'll sure wrack your brain! I agree! Numenor and JWoods write great ones!! I typically try to follow them to learn. I probably bug them to death too.

Let me know if you are going to upload it
Congrats on getting it to work! I know exactly what you mean!! (my hanging bed!) Note it's name! lol

I'd like to take a moment to say Thanks to those in here helping us This is an excellent thread! What geniuses we have (don't let that go to anyone's head!).

Thanks again!
xts

(Quote) ~ "If it isn't one thing, it's going to be another. It is usually one thing. Oh man, is it a mother" (The Mother of All Things) - PB
Advertisement
Test Subject
#927 Old 21st Nov 2005 at 10:06 PM
Default here i am again...
well i've got another object not showing up... i've tried all stuff that's happened to me before... i thougtht i'd gotten the hang of this, but apparently not as good as i thought

so... the problem is that in gmcd window the part named glass is the only part that shows up in my game... i can't get freddy to show up as anything more than a preview in simpe... is this too far advanced for me as of yet?? HELP PLEASE!!
Lab Assistant
#928 Old 21st Nov 2005 at 10:42 PM
crissie: appears to me like u renamed 'the other' subset into 'freddy' without amending all the refs. u should therefore go and rename 'freddy' back into 'solid' - in GMDC - 'groups tab'
Test Subject
#929 Old 21st Nov 2005 at 10:48 PM
i didn't rename it after the initial package was saved... but i'll try it.
Test Subject
#930 Old 21st Nov 2005 at 11:04 PM
yep that was the problem.... Thanks alot chrissy..... YEHAW!!! :D
Field Researcher
#931 Old 21st Nov 2005 at 11:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by XTS

Let me know if you are going to upload it

It's here New windows .
Lab Assistant
#932 Old 22nd Nov 2005 at 11:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Crissie0721
yep that was the problem.... Thanks alot chrissy..... YEHAW!!! :D

I'm SOOOO honored. I'm getting imortalised in the shape of a snowman with my name on it :banana:

All my objects and creations are free of use and should always stay that way. IE. Do NOT UL to ANY pay site.
For my recolor of other peoples mesh, se their info reg. redistribution.

And. A linked credit to my object is always nice :)
Field Researcher
#933 Old 22nd Nov 2005 at 3:11 PM
After making enough objects to use up almost 2 blocks of GUID's I am still confused on some of the most basic things.

When do you, do you not check the "stand alone object" box? I know you don't check it when making a bed if you want the bed to use all the beddings. And it seems like I've had to check it to get all the textures when cloning some objects.

When do you check the "update all MMATs" box? At one point someone told me that not checking it was why I couldn't make recolors of an object. But then I think someone said you should never check it.

Sorry to ask such lame questions. Thanks.
Part-time Hermit
#934 Old 22nd Nov 2005 at 4:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mage

When do you, do you not check the "stand alone object" box? I know you don't check it when making a bed if you want the bed to use all the beddings. And it seems like I've had to check it to get all the textures when cloning some objects.

I think by default you should leave that unchecked, and only check it in the special cases when you need to, like when cloning a bookcase (for me, at least, the books will turn blue otherwise, being linked to the external texture doesn't seem to work with them, even though it does work with armoires and such).

Quote:
When do you check the "update all MMATs" box? At one point someone told me that not checking it was why I couldn't make recolors of an object. But then I think someone said you should never check it.

I think Numenor said recently that there is no need to ever check that box anymore, and then just click on that text link to Update MMATs when it's the main GUID of the object. That's what I've been doing recently, and it seems to have worked correctly.

Maybe someone else can give more thorough explanations .
Field Researcher
#935 Old 22nd Nov 2005 at 6:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
I think by default you should leave that unchecked, and only check it in the special cases when you need to, like when cloning a bookcase (for me, at least, the books will turn blue otherwise, being linked to the external texture doesn't seem to work with them, even though it does work with armoires and such).

Thanks, that's good to know. I am just about to make a bookcase. But what happens if you check it on other objects?

I think Numenor said recently that there is no need to ever check that box anymore, and then just click on that text link to Update MMATs when it's the main GUID of the object. That's what I've been doing recently, and it seems to have worked correctly.

Maybe someone else can give more thorough explanations .

What happens if you do click it?
Part-time Hermit
#936 Old 22nd Nov 2005 at 6:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mage
Thanks, that's good to know. I am just about to make a bookcase. But what happens if you check it on other objects?

What happens if you do click it?

When you make a stand-alone object, SimPE pulls all the textures that might be referred to as external textures otherwise. This makes your package file bigger, so if it's not necessary, don't pull them. I'm not sure what other kind of things the packages might borrow from an external source.

I don't think ticking that MMATs update box does any harm, but it's just unnecessary since clicking the link will do the thing at one click. Unless someone else knows better .
Lab Assistant
#937 Old 22nd Nov 2005 at 9:02 PM
Hi all !

I am working on my first windows now - cloned from the lafenetre full-length - and have a couple questions about making the glass recolorable.
do I have to add the glass subset to both the pane and frame GMDCs - tsDesignModeEnabled? they are listed with both respective SHPEs...

and how about the tsMaterialsMeshNames? they all are empty with no items at all listed.

thanx in advance!
Part-time Hermit
#938 Old 22nd Nov 2005 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chrissy6930
Hi all !

I am working on my first windows now - cloned from the lafenetre full-length - and have a couple questions about making the glass recolorable.
do I have to add the glass subset to both the pane and frame GMDCs - tsDesignModeEnabled? they are listed with both respective SHPEs...

and how about the tsMaterialsMeshNames? they all are empty with no items at all listed.

thanx in advance!

The Lafenetre full-length window borrows its textures from another window, I recommend cloning a window that doesn't. The Function of Plate Glass window is good for cloning, has a simple mesh structure and its own textures. The window glass is already recolorable if you have CEP installed, too, so you don't need to enable it separately. Only if you want the glass to have a pattern, then you need to add a texture, but that's a separate issue.
Lab Assistant
#939 Old 22nd Nov 2005 at 9:17 PM
The Lafenetre full-length window borrows its textures from another window, I recommend cloning a window that doesn't. The Function of Plate Glass window is good for cloning, has a simple mesh structure and its own textures. The window glass is already recolorable if you have CEP installed, too, so you don't need to enable it separately. Only if you want the glass to have a pattern, then you need to add a texture, but that's a separate issue.

well my idea is to make mine match the lafenetre. therefore I found it best to clone this one as I would want the same MATDs and LGHTs in my window. as I checked out several window meshes there seems to be quite a few diffs between them and I just cannot figure out a regularity with regards to the above mentioned cDataListExtensions...

it does not appear to be quite the same as with my modular stairs...

and yup I already added a TXTR for the glass - it will be stained glass thus a texture is certainly required..
Part-time Hermit
#940 Old 22nd Nov 2005 at 9:36 PM
Do you need the mesh from the original window? You could always extract the mesh from the otherwise incomplete cloned package of the full-length window and import it into another. You can also import material definitions. If you make a stand-alone clone of the window, the textures and such show up, but I don't know if that would make it a fully functional window, never tried. You also get a ton of clutter files, such as about a thousand wallmasks . I might be wrong, but I think that the tsMaterialsMeshNames is only needed when the object borrows from other objects. "Independent" windows don't have it (diagonal versions of the windows do). When you clone the Function of Plate glass window, the glass is already added to the tsDesignModeEnabled list as a recolorable subset.
Lab Assistant
#941 Old 22nd Nov 2005 at 9:48 PM
Do you need the mesh from the original window? You could always extract the mesh from the otherwise incomplete cloned package of the full-length window and import it into another. You can also import material definitions. If you make a stand-alone clone of the window, the textures and such show up, but I don't know if that would make it a fully functional window, never tried. You also get a ton of clutter files, such as about a thousand wallmasks . I might be wrong, but I think that the tsMaterialsMeshNames is only needed when the object borrows from other objects. "Independent" windows don't have it (diagonal versions of the windows do). When you clone the Function of Plate glass window, the glass is already added to the tsDesignModeEnabled list as a recolorable subset.

yup I did make a stand-alone clone, deleted all the 'shutter' files and the files related to the normal 'square' lafenetre, i.e. deleted about 20 files. then I added a glass TXTR and amended the respective MATD. but by default with this clone none of the tsDesignModeEnabled holds the glass subset. thus my question if all GMNDs,the frames and the panes, would need the glass subset.

the info about the tsMaterialsMeshNames is very helpful. will go do the necessary changes right away...
Part-time Hermit
#942 Old 22nd Nov 2005 at 10:02 PM
If I were you, I would base my window on some other clone and then just import the files I needed, like the material definitions and the mesh. But, I suppose it might be possible to make it work this way, as well. I've never tried it like that before, so I don't know if it works well or not.

Have you read the tutorial about adding a subset to an object here? You could follow the making recolorable part for making the glass recolorable (there's also a part about adding a texture, but I guess you already did that). But the Material Override seems to be there already, so no need to add that.

I'm not sure if the subset and material definition file names for the glass are going to be a problem when you add a recolorable texture. Numenor may be able to say more about that.
Lab Assistant
#943 Old 22nd Nov 2005 at 10:16 PM
If I were you, I would base my window on some other clone and then just import the files I needed, like the material definitions and the mesh. But, I suppose it might be possible to make it work this way, as well. I've never tried it like that before, so I don't know if it works well or not.

Have you read the tutorial about adding a subset to an object here? You could follow the making recolorable part for making the glass recolorable (there's also a part about adding a texture, but I guess you already did that). But the Material Override seems to be there already, so no need to add that.

I'm not sure if the subset and material definition file names for the glass are going to be a problem when you add a recolorable texture. Numenor may be able to say more about that.

yup ! I know your window tute ! very cool ! but unfortunately it doesn't quite answer my present questions... Numenor ? pls ?
Inventor
#944 Old 22nd Nov 2005 at 11:58 PM
I thought there for a minute I was seeing Chrissie talk to herself lol.. Til I noted the final digits of the name. :o

Question: I'm working on a recolor. Is it possible to create a recolor of a vase and make the png use transparency to make the vase partly transparent? In toher words, wrap a fence pattern around the neck of the vase and see through the fence pattern using the transparency and build dxt3?

Btw, I've noticed dxt3 is better than dxt1.. no matter whether or not there's transparency.. Least seems better for me. Is this accurate? Anyone know?

Would I have to import something to do this or clone it instead? I did try it (using transparency in the png file) but it didn't work. Still seems solid.
Ideas?
xts

(Quote) ~ "If it isn't one thing, it's going to be another. It is usually one thing. Oh man, is it a mother" (The Mother of All Things) - PB
Field Researcher
#945 Old 23rd Nov 2005 at 12:12 AM
Thanks, IgnorantBliss.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#946 Old 23rd Nov 2005 at 1:37 AM
Chrissy - The Lafenetre window that you have cloned doesn't have a recolourable glass. There two windows without shutters (the "Midnight Ride" and the "Lafenetre Full-lenght") have the recolourable glass; the two with shutters ("Lafenetre Shattered Window" and "Lafenetre full-lenght shuttered window") already have two recolourable subsets (frame and shutter) and can't have the recolourable glass.

If you need to create a shuttered window that matches the Lafenetre, you can apply a decorated glass, but with no colour options (i.e. you can't create recolours with alternative decors for the glass).
If you renounce to the shutters, then clone the "Lafenetre full-lenght" and apply a texture to the glass, and the glass will be recolourable.

Since you want to create a window that should match the Lafenetre, then I strongly suggest to clone it without the "stand-alone" options: your window will take all the existing recolours of the original Lafenetre.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Part-time Hermit
#947 Old 23rd Nov 2005 at 4:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chrissy6930
yup ! I know your window tute ! very cool ! but unfortunately it doesn't quite answer my present questions... Numenor ? pls ?

I didn't mean the window tutorial, I meant the tutorial about adding a subset to an object . (But, you probably won't need that, after all, since the glass is already recolorable. It's only in 2 of the 4 Geometric Nodes, so you may have missed it.)

Numenor, she didn't necessarily clone the shuttered window. When you make a stand-alone clone of the regular full-length window, it pulls all the wallmask files for the shuttered one, too. She may have meant that, I'm not sure.
Inventor
#948 Old 23rd Nov 2005 at 6:07 AM
Am I not to ask how to fix a recolor in here? If not, could someone point me to where I can get help with that because it turned out pretty bad.
Thanks
xts

Part-time Hermit
#949 Old 23rd Nov 2005 at 6:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by XTS
Am I not to ask how to fix a recolor in here? If not, could someone point me to where I can get help with that because it turned out pretty bad.
Thanks
xts

You can make the texture transparent by editing the alpha blend mode for the vase in the material definition (if it's "none", make it "blend"), but the problem is that it's going to make the whole vase sort of transparent. To make it look the best, you'd need a separate subset for the transparent part, so that one subset could be solid and one transparent.

Yeah DXT3 is needed for transparency, and it tends to make the texture look better on solid parts, too, but DXT3 makes the texture file size bigger than DXT1, though, so use sparingly .
Inventor
#950 Old 23rd Nov 2005 at 9:49 AM
Thank you very much. I had a feeling you would be the one to respond if anyone did I was afraid of that (needing a subset addition). That's one topic I've yet to read but I do have the subscription. :D

That's unfortunate for DXT3! I really like it. Before, I was getting the glitches in the pattern and unsure how to fix them. Strange part was it would like fine upon regular import but once I loaded it ingame it was changed. Back in SimPE it was changed as well. Thank you IgnorantBliss for your expertise.
xts

edit: worst part? It was right under my nose.. Your thread. I guess you can tell it's a stressing time for me, aye?

Locked thread | Locked by: Reason: Please refer to the ACTIVE THREAD (http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=82084). This is only an archive of old posts.
Page 38 of 52