Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 6:38 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Maxis scalp showing instead of skin-toned hairline
So... This is a recent problem that's come up.

With many of my hairs (especially updo's - which I tend to use a lot since I play a fantasy game that features numerous balls) they've recently begun to show a maxis-default-hair colored hairline as opposed to a skin-colored hairline, and that is making picture taking and story-boarding (I'm a fantasy author and Sims is my primary story-boarding tool) next to impossible.

This is what I mean...

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm currently beating my head against a wall.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 4:32 AM
I had this problem when I had some very old hair recolors in my game. Specifically, they were all by janna at TSR. As they were so ancient, they were all just letters and numbers, so they're tough to identify. And while that was the only creator I had problems with, there could be others. Do the half and half method on your hair colors (no meshes were a problem for me) and see if that fixes it.
Test Subject
#3 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 10:57 AM
I have many hairs that do this in Body Shop, but in game they look fine. Do yours also do this in game?
Instructor
#4 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 7:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by willywiluhps
I have many hairs that do this in Body Shop, but in game they look fine. Do yours also do this in game?

Do your hairs still look fine on fat and fit Sims?

Here's what happened with me: in Bodyshop, any hair that showed scalp, like the ones in the op's pictures, looked broken in the same way hers do. In game they were fine unless the Sim became fat or fit, at which point they'd break like in Bodyshop. This was fixed for all hairs when I tracked down and deleted a few old hair recolors that must have been made in a seriously messed up way.
Test Subject
#5 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 8:13 PM
Interesting, I've never noticed it with my sims changing fitness (doesn't happen frequently in my game, and I usually play pretty zoomed out) but it could very well be happening. In that case I definitely suspect this has to do with skintones. The skintone texture changes when a sim changes fitness (that's how they get their abs). Maybe it "forgets" to refresh the head texture and plugs in this arbitrary one...hmmm...
Instructor
#6 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 8:19 PM
It's not skintones. That was the first thing I checked, and it changed nothing. It's badly-made cc hair recolors/retextures that somehow corrupt all hairs when they're in the game. Deleting those particular hairs fixes it for all of them.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 8:30 PM
I had this problem with a hair I'd binned maually. It made some or another EAxis texture show on nearly all the hairs of that age/gender. When I fixed the hair, the problem went away. I think it made the scalp/hair part of skins use the scalp/hair overlay from the borked hair file.

Most likely you have a borked hair somewhere in your downloads, and removing this file should fix the problem. The easiest way to do it is to do a 50/50 with your hair files. Also look through your default replacement hairs if you have any.
Test Subject
#8 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 10:22 PM
Quote:
When I fixed the hair, the problem went away.

What did you fix, do you remember? (GZPS, BINX, 3IDR, ?)
Test Subject
#9 Old 2nd Jun 2023 at 10:22 PM
I have this issue with my S2 default replacement skin, and I don't think it is hair related since I have taken out all of my default and CC hairs from my downloads folder, and the clipping is still there but only for the S2 skin. I have used this skin https://gardenofshadows.org.uk/gard...30843#msg630843 and tried out other default replacement skin sets, but there is still an issue with the clipping of the S2 skin replacement. Does anyone know why this might be or how I can resolve this issue? In the worst case scenario I'll just keep in these skins since there only is an issue with the S2 skin. I think the root of this cause might be the fact that I have previously downloaded some old default replacement hairs but even after deleting them the issue is still there. What can I do?
Mad Poster
#10 Old 2nd Jun 2023 at 10:41 PM
It can be related to a different CAS item. It's more often than not a bug in a custom item that's been edited with SimPE (recategorized or some such), but had an edit put into the wrong string in the PropertySet.

It's usually one file, so should be easy to find - you can do a 50/50 with your CAS CC. When you no longer see the issue, the offending file is in the bunch you removed. Test those files again, and repeat until you find the item.

Do a backup of your game before testing, because when you remove CC (especially custom CC), sometimes the items get removed/replaced from your sims/houses and don't reappear when you put the CC back in.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 7th Jun 2023 at 12:19 PM
it's a purely visual bug. if you save the sim and then clone them in bodyshop, the scalp will appear normal again. it may bug out again if you change the hair or hair color, but again, this is purely visual and only appears this way in bodyshop, NOT in game.
Test Subject
#12 Old 8th Jun 2023 at 2:20 PM Last edited by Emily! : 8th Jun 2023 at 2:53 PM.
I got this glitch few weeks ago and it's so weird. It's only shows on some cc skintones on blond hair adult male. And it's appear in my game sadly. https://ibb.co/JjFT3Ly My sim is just surviving with a hole in head. I only have some pack of face sliders and 5 column cas mod, have no idea what causes it. Intresting that if I choose colored hair from last category they're shows normaly but if I tap on blond category then "black sculp" appears again. https://ibb.co/7yyQBfF
Mad Poster
#13 Old 8th Jun 2023 at 10:37 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 8th Jun 2023 at 10:48 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Emily!
I got this glitch few weeks ago and it's so weird. It's only shows on some cc skintones on blond hair adult male. And it's appear in my game sadly. https://ibb.co/JjFT3Ly My sim is just surviving with a hole in head. I only have some pack of face sliders and 5 column cas mod, have no idea what causes it. Intresting that if I choose colored hair from last category they're shows normaly but if I tap on blond category then "black sculp" appears again. https://ibb.co/7yyQBfF

This is likely caused by a bug that can happen if someone inputs the wrong info in the wrong place in a CAS file, usually with SimPE. It causes the texture to start acting like a skin default/overlay, usually for a certain body part (such as all male blonde scalps, or S2 skin, or similar).

It's probably a buggy CAS item, and most likely a hair (hazarding a guess I'd say a male blonde, but could be a different one), but could be a skin too. If it's not, then any other CAS recolor file.

Like I said above, the easiest way to find the item is to do a 50/50 search in your CAS CC. This one sounds like it's an either/or file, so should be very easy to locate. It's either there or it's not, so you test one bunch of files - if the problem continues, the file is likely in that bunch, so you test those files further. If the problem goes away, the problem is in the files you left out, so you test those files 50/50 again. Continue like that until you find the file.

Test CAS defaults, CAS custom items, overlays, makeup, hairs, clothes, and so forth (anything CAS/sim related).
You don't need to test build/buy items, floors, walls, or anything that isn't related to CAS.

Make sure to backup your game first, since removing CC from your game can cause items to disappear or get replaced ingame.
Test Subject
#14 Old 10th Jun 2023 at 6:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
This is likely caused by a bug that can happen if someone inputs the wrong info in the wrong place in a CAS file, usually with SimPE. It causes the texture to start acting like a skin default/overlay, usually for a certain body part (such as all male blonde scalps, or S2 skin, or similar).

It's probably a buggy CAS item, and most likely a hair (hazarding a guess I'd say a male blonde, but could be a different one), but could be a skin too. If it's not, then any other CAS recolor file.

Like I said above, the easiest way to find the item is to do a 50/50 search in your CAS CC. This one sounds like it's an either/or file, so should be very easy to locate. It's either there or it's not, so you test one bunch of files - if the problem continues, the file is likely in that bunch, so you test those files further. If the problem goes away, the problem is in the files you left out, so you test those files 50/50 again. Continue like that until you find the file.

Test CAS defaults, CAS custom items, overlays, makeup, hairs, clothes, and so forth (anything CAS/sim related).
You don't need to test build/buy items, floors, walls, or anything that isn't related to CAS.

Make sure to backup your game first, since removing CC from your game can cause items to disappear or get replaced ingame.

Phew, thanks a lot! I deep diving into my download folder and found exactly one file called "Julia Dream -- Blonde" that broke everything. Happy to play again without any distraction.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 25th Jun 2023 at 7:07 AM
I have a couple of buggy 3t2 hair conversions where the scalp shows through the hair. Applying a scalp cap does not help, because the hairs apparently have their own "scalp" underlay. I'm not sure whether it's worth the trouble to fix them, or just get rid of them. (Have noticed that 3t2 hair conversions tend to be slightly larger than Sims2 heads, and I don't know that there's anything that can be done about that.)
Mad Poster
#16 Old 25th Jun 2023 at 7:38 AM
^ It can probably be fixed, but it's likely a mesh fix, so it depends. 3t2 hairs generally don't need an extra scalp (most hairs can be molded onto the TS2 scalps unless they're a texture-only layer for the scalp, which either means you use the TS3 scalp or have to try to fit the texture onto the TS2 scalp). 4t2 hairs may need it if there are any extra hair details, although I don't think it's necessary in most cases there either.

(A lot of older hairs, Peggy in particular, have quite serious scalp issues. Kinda want to fix some of the ones I have, but it's going to be a huge project, so for now I've fixed the ones I need for my favorite sims and a few other hairs I plan to use. It's already taken some time. One hair I had to completely remake the files for so it made sense, because an accessory in the hair was taking its texture from the skin instead of the patch of texture set aside for it, plus a whole heap of other problems).