Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#8401 Old 12th Aug 2019 at 3:28 PM
My random Sims2 thought of the day... I never knew until reading here that scripted events existed in one (or more?) of the Maxis neighborhoods. I only played Pleasantview (I think it was) for a brief time before I made my first hood and have been playing my own hoods ever since.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#8402 Old 12th Aug 2019 at 11:00 PM
RIP Gerri Lawlor I just learned that she died in January this year. She was one of the original sims voice actors and was one of the co-creators of Simlish.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerri_Lawlor

Edit: Oh! She's also one of the adult female voices in ts2! Apparently there's 2 voices for each gender for adults, I never knew any of that! She sounds so different in ts1!
https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Voice

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Forum Resident
#8403 Old 15th Aug 2019 at 2:24 AM
So i was just in a discussion with some folks about their game and they both had pride in that everything I mentioned about corruption had to be fake because in all their years they never experienced it.
Then they ran hoodchecker and fell silent.
Suddenly my words about corruption seemed so true.

And I wonder why people never wanna listen to me when I say that the shit they are doing is corrupting their games. I have discussions like this weekly with ts2 players there take pride in their game so much that something they read in a magazine in 2007 is still super true in 2019 where we know way more about the game’s code than ever before and is ever expanding on how we can fix the game to reach new great levels.

But all the discussions ends with the same when they’ve all ran hoodchecker on their beloved hoods.
They see a long wall of text just going on and on and it makes them go silent.
I’m not proud of those discussions, I just wished people actually listened.

I build small houses *^*
Alchemist
#8404 Old 15th Aug 2019 at 2:46 AM
Eh, if they haven't experienced any problems just let them be. When their games start acting up/implode, then show them the links that explain why. If they haven't experienced problems, no sense worrying about it for them. Sometimes people just have to make the mistakes themselves to learn.

It's like giving college advice. Pretty much everyone has the same advice for freshman. But do they listen? Rarely, if ever. No, everyone has to make the mistakes themselves because all that stuff they were warned about happened to other people, not them. It can't possible happen to them. Until it does.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Theorist
#8405 Old 17th Aug 2019 at 8:24 PM
When one plays PV from the beginnin the Oldies, MarySue's adoptive parents, are alive and in the sim bin and they, like Mortimer, have a few days of elderhood left. This gives the impression that they are of the same generation as Mortimer, however I've recently realized that they are in truth second generation with Mortimer's parents, Gunther and Cornelia Goth.

Makes one wonder if they had access to the elixir of life ... *hmmmmm*
Theorist
#8406 Old 18th Aug 2019 at 5:37 PM
I so do no want to start a new neighbourhood.
Field Researcher
#8407 Old 22nd Aug 2019 at 12:24 PM
I wasn't sure what thread to put this in, but I just wanted to say something. The Sims 2 is a very special game to me. In my opinion, it's got the most replay value of all The Sims games. I was one of the first people to buy the first game when it came out. I'd read a little bit about it, but unlike a lot of people, I didn't see an ad or trailer. Looking at the pictures on the box really sold me on it. The Sims 3 and 4 never captured my attention, for some reason. But anyway... I was also a launch adopter of The Sims 2. Man, this game blew me away. It was everything a sequel should be. Improvements galore, especially the aging. Finally a Sims game where the kids grow up, and grannies aren't treated the same as young bachelors. Speaking of which, I hated Sims 1 infants, but I LOVE Sims 2 babies! They're so cute, and pretty easy to take care of as long as you balance the workload and don't juggle too many at once. In fact, raising babies seems to be my recent favorite thing to do in the game.

In 2016, my main computer at the time had been destroyed by a thunderstorm. My "backup" PC was a P4 running Windows XP. I couldn't get many games to work on it (even my WinXP games for some reason), but then I installed The Sims 2 and reconnected myself with the game I hadn't played in years. Last year, I bought my two final expansion packs. The reason I told you all this is because I'm a nostalgic and sentimental guy, and... when I first started up the game with the Apartment Life theme playing... It's so beautiful. I'm not usually a serene music kind of guy, but this is truly great. It's got a happiness to it. I'm listening to it on loop right now.

...And of course I got a new PC this year. Just didn't want anybody thinking I was still on that old Pentium 4. Funny thing is, my favorite Sims 1 track is from Superstar, and totally different.
Forum Resident
#8408 Old 22nd Aug 2019 at 4:06 PM
I downloaded one of Phaenoh's apartment lots, and for some strange reason, it's showing attributes of ocean lots. When I placed it, the terrain nearby turned into the beach terrain, and if I remove it, there's a small pond added. It's worse in lot, though, because the floor of the lot is flooded with ocean water. I'm not sure why this is, if it was changed into a normal lot FROM an ocean lot, but it's a shame because I really like the lot. I may have to just rebuild it myself if this can't be solved. I saw a couple of other comments saying they had issues with a 'blue floor' so I'm assuming it was the same for them, but most people who downloaded it seemed to have no problem with it

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Mad Poster
#8409 Old 23rd Aug 2019 at 6:08 AM
That sounds as though the water table of the map you're putting it on is higher than the original lot. Try putting it down in a neighborhood with a different map.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#8410 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 3:45 AM
I have played a Sim here and there who will turn away from the camera and chuckle softly to themself. I just started playing an old neighborhood I downloaded eons ago, Beacon Falls. The first house I played was a single adult female. Well, she was chuckling almost constantly that first day. The next day she revealed her baby bump, and once again turned away and giggled, as if she thought it a great joke that she fooled me! As I play other houses, I have found lots of chucklers. That neighborhood is harboring a secret. And since they always turn away from the camera to chuckle, I have a feeling that they are plotting against me. I think I'd better be on my guard against these gigglers!
Mad Poster
#8411 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 5:30 AM
I had a 0 nice points sim who used to do something similar. He would point at random things and give this evil laugh. It was contagious too. His 5 nice point daughter started copying him. XD
Mad Poster
#8412 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 5:41 AM
Those giggling, sneaky Sims...wish I could see that!

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#8413 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 6:31 AM
I hate when I have a lot essentially ready for upload in-game, but can't come up with a worthy story to pair with it as a description, and so can't upload it yet.

(I know most people on this site probably could care less about lot descriptions beyond the technical aspects, but I need to improve my creative writing, and trying to come up with bits of a story to tell in the lots I make actually helps me a lot, so I look at it as being almost as important as the lot itself in some cases)

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#8414 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 7:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
I hate when I have a lot essentially ready for upload in-game, but can't come up with a worthy story to pair with it as a description, and so can't upload it yet.

(I know most people on this site probably could care less about lot descriptions beyond the technical aspects, but I need to improve my creative writing, and trying to come up with bits of a story to tell in the lots I make actually helps me a lot, so I look at it as being almost as important as the lot itself in some cases)

What kind of lot?
Forum Resident
#8415 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 3:56 PM
Zarathustra, I have found your existing download descriptions some of the most interesting and fun to read I've ever seen on this site. I've even a few times reread them (and re-ogled your pics!) when coming across them while looking for other things---they're that enjoyable.

Thank you for all the hard work you put into those, and good luck coming up with the next one. I'll try to contain my excited anticipation in the meanwhile.

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Mad Poster
#8416 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 8:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pideli
RIP Gerri Lawlor I just learned that she died in January this year. She was one of the original sims voice actors and was one of the co-creators of Simlish.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerri_Lawlor

Edit: Oh! She's also one of the adult female voices in ts2! Apparently there's 2 voices for each gender for adults, I never knew any of that! She sounds so different in ts1!
https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Voice

==
Is there actually audio of them? I would have thought there were more people doing it.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Forum Resident
#8417 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 9:07 PM
I'm in a dilemma of whether I make my city Abercaeth into a megahood with the maxis characters, or if I use my own characters. It's essentially been a dream of mine to create a megahood but I know I rarely follow through with it. I've never had a city I'm properly happy with, though, and I'm really happy with Abercaeth so far, so maybe I'll just back it up and try a megahood with it once it's all built?

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Mad Poster
#8418 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 9:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
What kind of lot?

It's the Spanish-influenced Caribbean beach apartment lot I'd mentioned a while back... I want to try my hand at an over-the-top telenovela-inspired story (watch the music video for Havana if you don't know what I'm talking about), just since that would be completely different from writing I've done in the past, but I'm drawing a blank on both characters and story.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#8419 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 9:59 PM
I really want to completely remake my Strange town in my megahood. There's not much space for houses, but I was thinking of putting tiny lots near the Grunt house for military families. Problem is I also need some bigger lots for larger families. I don't think I can add a subhood - otherwise I would add a North/South/East/West Strangetown for more space. I feel like I read somewhere that the megahood I'm using glitches out when another subhood is added. I wish I could add extra roads in an already built hood!

I also need to add some more lots on the Monty side of Veronaville. I downloaded a bunch of CC for them.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Scholar
#8420 Old 25th Aug 2019 at 9:02 AM
With the 4th (not again, Can't remember which one now) iteration of Rematra Village I will go mad
I tend to stay with each version about 3 years. This version will need that minimum.
it is more organised that previous version and almost every road space is built upon to create the feel of a moderately aged town and community.
over 100 lots so far placed, not yet built upon however
48 lots alone downtown.
60 in the main hood.
still Suburb, three vacation destinations and one university to be organised.
I do enjoy designing them even if they mostly look like boxes still.
Top Secret Researcher
#8421 Old 25th Aug 2019 at 11:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bigsimsfan12
I really want to completely remake my Strange town in my megahood. There's not much space for houses, but I was thinking of putting tiny lots near the Grunt house for military families. Problem is I also need some bigger lots for larger families. I don't think I can add a subhood - otherwise I would add a North/South/East/West Strangetown for more space. I feel like I read somewhere that the megahood I'm using glitches out when another subhood is added. I wish I could add extra roads in an already built hood!

I also need to add some more lots on the Monty side of Veronaville. I downloaded a bunch of CC for them.

Well I would not recommend adding too many subhoods, not really sure of the limit if there is, but I think that there is a practical limit.

Anyway I play with a Strangetown main Neighborhood and several attached sub hoods and I attached some more after I was playing, and it worked fine for me.

So I think that there is no particular reason that I know why you could not add a few more subhoods assuming that you don't have a really large number already. The main thing you can not do is add another 'hood with the same ID number and of course be careful to not have two with the same name.

I would make sure that you have a complete back up of your entire Sims 2 folder and then try it and see if it works. Do make a complete back up first and put it on an external drive if possible.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Mad Poster
#8422 Old 25th Aug 2019 at 11:37 AM
Belladonna is my main hood, I have all the other hoods as subhoods, plus downtown, 3 uni hoods and 3 vacation spots. I'm not really sure what to do because on the one hand I don't want MORE subhoods, I just need more roads.. but I can't just move out all my Sims, delete the original Strangetown and replace it with a custom one with more roads but I have so many buildings I've made and bits I've added and changed to the premade houses.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#8423 Old 25th Aug 2019 at 11:54 AM
Would HoodReplace help at all?
Mad Poster
#8424 Old 25th Aug 2019 at 8:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bigsimsfan12

If you're using one of the really old ones, from before Tarlia turned the neighborhoods into stand alone subhoods, then yes, don't add anything to the neighborhood configuration. You can kind of think of those as held together with rust and duct tape, while the new ones have nice shiny bolts.

However, I believe all of those have all the corruption shipped with the original hoods, from Chastity Gere's missing grandpa on down, so you might want to build a shiny new megahood out of the subhood templates before you get very far, and that will give you more options and much less corruption (never say none, with this game!).

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Forum Resident
#8425 Old 26th Aug 2019 at 5:54 AM
Finding myself in disagreement with Pooklet over what hair colors are nicest. Pooklet is excessively fond of platinum blond ("Primer", "Volatile") hair (I'm not), thinks honey-blond ("Safety Fuse") is brown, and has discontinued use of bright chestnut ("Brisance"), which is one of my favorite colors. My personal opinion is that since platinum is not a natural hair color, it should be Custom only.

Really, there are some Maxis "blond" hairs that are darker than "Safety Fuse".

I think I'm in for an extended stretch of tweaking and rebinning.
Page 337 of 511