Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Apr 2020 at 3:51 PM Last edited by plantladysimmer : 8th May 2020 at 9:42 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default SOLVED Lighting/Atmosphere problem with custom worlds - very dark/odd colors, dark in the day, light at night
I've been downloading and trying out quite a lot of custom worlds recently. I've had issues with the lighting/atmosphere of two custom worlds - Boroughsburg and Strawberry Acres. In these worlds, the lighting is very very dark, the water is white, and nothing looks right. In Boroughsburg, it was dark in the day and light at night (probably the same for Strawberry Acres but I didn't check)!

I've already tried: removing all other mods from the folder, uninstalling all my worlds apart from the one I want to play, clearing my caches, and removing other custom content. The only mods I had were for other worlds anyway, I don't use any game play mods, and I didn't have any weather mods.

Is there something major I'm missing here? Is it that they rely on lighting from expansion packs that I don't have? Or I'm installing things in the wrong way or order? It just so happens to be the two worlds that I absolutely want to play, so it's very frustrating! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Apr 2020 at 10:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
picture could help

Here's a screenshot
Screenshots
Undead Molten Llama
#4 Old 12th Apr 2020 at 6:19 PM
I'm assuming you have other worlds, custom and EA, where the lighting works fine, so I'm going to assume the issue is just with those particular worlds. I'm unfamiliar with them, myself, but I'm assuming that they don't come with custom weather INI files that are separate from the world package that you didn't install. Assuming that I'm assuming correctly...Have you tried installing a custom lighting mod, just for testing purposes, and then opening those worlds? If custom lighting works, then it would seem to me that there's just something wrong with whatever "native" lighting those worlds have or the way they are interacting with EA's lighting. What that might be, I don't know, but if custom lighting works, then at least you'll be able to use the worlds without weird lighting.

There are lots of different lighting mods with lots of different variations here: https://brntwaffles.tumblr.com/tagged/lighting-mod The first few are for TS4, but scroll a bit for the TS3 ones. Really, I'd recommend using a lighting mod even without any kind of problem. EA's lighting is uniformly dismal and sucks mightily. IMO, anyway.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th May 2020 at 9:41 AM
For anyone interested - I solved it! I reached out to the maker of Boroughsburg and they sent me some really good forum threads about graphics. Turns out The Sims wasn't recognizing my good graphics card, so it was using my rubbish integrated one instead. I changed the code in the graphics files to help it recognize my card, and now I don't have any issues! If anyone has the same problem, I can provide the guides that I used to fix it.
Test Subject
#7 Old 10th May 2020 at 12:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plantladysimmer
For anyone interested - I solved it! I reached out to the maker of Boroughsburg and they sent me some really good forum threads about graphics. Turns out The Sims wasn't recognizing my good graphics card, so it was using my rubbish integrated one instead. I changed the code in the graphics files to help it recognize my card, and now I don't have any issues! If anyone has the same problem, I can provide the guides that I used to fix it.

That would be so much help! I have the exact same issue where the sky is unbearably dark during the day with red clouds and purple water. I know its something to do with my graphics card but I do not know how to fix it, which is unfortunate since everything else about Boroughsburg is so marvelous.
Test Subject
#8 Old 10th May 2020 at 1:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PHILANXIFOR
That would be so much help! I have the exact same issue where the sky is unbearably dark during the day with red clouds and purple water. I know its something to do with my graphics card but I do not know how to fix it, which is unfortunate since everything else about Boroughsburg is so marvelous.

Okay just to update. I followed a tutorial to get the game to recognize my graphics card and according to the DeviceConfig.log file, I did it correctly. Yet, Boroughsburg still looks bleak. I have no idea what could be causing this . I have never downloaded a weather mod and the only other CC world I have is another Potato-Ballad creation (Point Ouerbacker). I have uploaded some photos below.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st May 2020 at 8:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PHILANXIFOR

Sorry I didn't see this!! Yeah, still looks like you have a card problem. Does it say [Found = 1, Matched = 1] in your deviceconfig file? Is the problem that you have two graphics cards, or that it doesn't recognize yours, or both?

Here is the tutorial that I found the simplest to follow:
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/...p?topic=27146.0

I did it almost right with another tutorial, but I think I messed up one of the steps. It said it had matched, but in reality it wasn't actually working.
Hope this helps a little.