Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Apr 2020 at 5:29 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Opened resource cfg with winrar = archive is either unknown format or damaged
Hi! I have Sims 3 and playing it on a windows pc.

I can download and use in-game sims3pack files (pasted in downloads folder etc.). But not package files!

I really messed up by opening the resource cfg file with WinRAR and trying to extract it! Now it doesnt matter where I download the resource cfg file from, it will always have a WinRAR icon and say "archive is either unknown format or damaged". I am aware about the 7zip thing and tried it, but it just says error.

The file type is still cfg file. But it has a WinRAR icon. And when i go to properties, it says opens with winrar.

I know resource cfg makes the package files work with the game. But its messed up now and I cant find a solution anywhere on the internet on this. I have read from another forum someone posted the same mistake and problem as me way back 2009 but didnt really get a solution.

I feel hopeless at this point If anyone knows a solution, please let me know. Thank you in advanced..
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 24th Apr 2020 at 3:44 AM
Did you open it with WinRAR? Maybe redownload WinRAR and try again? Pretty sure 7zip won't open WinRAR zipped files. Try Winzip, my friend who owns a computer business put that on my last comp he built and it worked great, pretty sure it opened all zip type files.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 24th Apr 2020 at 5:12 AM
This question is a duplicate of one on the general TS3 board. But if the player is looking at an actual Resource.cfg file, not a rar file, then it doesn't need to be decompressed or opened. That would be like trying to unzip a file that was never zipped in the first place.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th May 2020 at 1:30 PM
Thank you both for the quick response! I finally found a solution, well not me but a friend of mine, he told me to open it with Notepad instead. It now has a notepad icon and it doesnt make sense to me...but im just glad it worked. I also redownloaded the frameworksetup from here modsthesims (resource cfg file still had that WinRAR icon when i did lol )

But yes, now it works! When I launched the game, there was no sparkles and intro. I am excited to finally be able to make use of package files. Wish I figured it out earlier. Thanks again.