Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th May 2020 at 10:25 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Is it possible to edit the hair colours that the game uses on townies and NPCs?
One of the things that I find very disappointing is the way the hair colours are chosen whenever the game creates new townies and NPCs. Unlike eye colours which use the same eye colours as the default ones or any custom eye colours that you've saved, the hair colours that the game uses are different from the default hair colours and the custom hair colours you've added. Among the hair colours are these greenish brown hair colours which I despise. Does anyone know where the data relating to the hair colours that the game uses can be found, or how they can be edited? Because I really want to eradicate these greenish brown hair colours that keep appearing on numerous townies and NPCs generated by the game.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Inventor
#3 Old 17th May 2020 at 12:26 PM
You can use Nraas Story progression mod to set it to generate sims according to your own created sims. So if you put different sims with different hair colors in the household bin, the game will use it to make new sims.
I believe the mod path to the setting is something like this: NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Lots > Options:Immigration/Emigration > Chance of Bin Offspring
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th May 2020 at 3:17 PM
Problem is I don't use the Story progression mod because of my fear of story progression deleting Sims from the neighbourhood that I care about, which has happened. At least with the built in version of story progression. Never tried using the mod version. But I'm hesitant to risk it.

As for editing single Sims. That's what I do already.
Test Subject
#5 Old 17th May 2020 at 11:12 PM
Nraas mastercontroller and storyprogression are really worth it. They rarely cause problems and inactive sims get storylines to make your gameplay more interesting.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th May 2020 at 12:59 AM
My Sims don't get deleted without story progression, as long as they are townies or playable Sims, and as long as they have some kind of relationship with one of my Sims, usually a friend or sometimes an enemy. Even with EA's story progression disabled, it often deletes NPCs once they reach a certain age, and sometimes deletes them immediately upon creating a fresh game. It is annoying as it means that I have to create a fresh game and copy the NPCs from the fresh game over to my master save. As for NRaas' master controller, I already use that. I also use it to kill Sims once they reach the required age to die from old age because the game always preserves their tombstones when killed using this method.
Instructor
#8 Old 18th May 2020 at 5:25 AM
NRass SP has so many settings to help you run the game as you want it that it is a great mod. You can completely turn off emigration, and ser immigration to bring in new sims how you like, and set it to use only sims you have made and have in the household bin as genetics for your newly spawned townies. For already done ones you can edit them yourself or use NRass random genetics to change townies. I like Nitromon edit all the town sims at the start of games, because EA sucks at making diverse, interesting looking sims.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 18th May 2020 at 9:35 AM
The game alone, with or without EA's story progression feature, will cull (delete, emigrate) sims who are not actively played regardless of what the player has done with them, has played them, or has sims who are related to them. Some of that is intended, some is not, some we can explain away with an understanding of how this feature is supposed to work over time until it breaks down or gets stuck in emergency culling mode when there is no real reason for it to do so, such as the game "sensing" that a world is wildly overpopulated and needs to be cut back when in reality nothing of the kind is happening. But regardless, it is what it is.

NRass StoryProgression does not allow emigration by default period. It is indeed a far reaching mod as far as Script Mods go and I understand why players might wish to approach it cautiously, but there is a ton a documentation and help available for its usage on the NRaas site. It does not cull (delete, emigrate) resident sims unless we arrange for emigration within the mod and that's actually difficult to do since so many players cannot stand seeing that happen unless they have control over it. A downside is that without any culling (emigration) at all, unless deaths manage to keep up with the sum of births and immigration (resident sims being added to a world in any manner), then many worlds do potentially become subject to overpopulation and will then melt down or not perform well. But at that point it is up to the player to be managing the entire world at least to some extent rather than one or a small number of households to ensure that things move along smoothly from one generation to the next and there remains enough space on the map for everyone in the world to exist together.

EA's progression is actually not bad as intended, if you can stand random things happening to your neighbors and indeed having them move away and out of the game on you occasionally. But for most players it never works as it was intended for more than a couple of generations, if that.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th May 2020 at 8:53 AM
I've downloaded the Story Progression Mod. However, I have not yet enabled it. Is there any way I can enable it but disable all the features and then later on enable the ones that I want? That way the ones that I don't want enabled can't do anything I don't want them to do before I can decide whether I want them or not.

Without the Story Progression Mod, I did have plans to enable EA's Story Progression, but only after all the Sims that I don't want to lose have died from old age which will be a long way from now.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 20th May 2020 at 12:04 PM Last edited by igazor : 22nd May 2020 at 1:04 AM.
The short answer is no, and this probably isn't the right solution for you in an ongoing sense. If the intent is to run NRaas SP with each aspect of progression disabled as they in turn become annoying or unwanted in order to benefit from one or two features (immigration on temporarily, no emigration/culling permanently), you will end up playing Whack-a-Mole with the mod for months instead of enjoying the game. What I was doing was reacting to the assertion that the SP mod deletes resident sims. It does not, it actually prevents that from happening while it is doing everything else progression related unless the player wants and specifically arranges for measured amounts of emigration.

You may, however, wish to read over how many of us have leveraged the mod to arrange for what we call Rotational Play thereby protecting the sims we wish to not progress in certain ways while we are actively playing different households.
http://www.nraas.net/community/Stor...-Caste-Settings
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#12 Old 20th May 2020 at 1:03 PM
Well what I don't want is:

For the game to move any Sims into the same household as any one of the current households that I have.
For the game to move any Sims away from the neighbourhood and delete them.
For the game to move any Sims out of the existing households that I have.
For the game to marry or divorce any Sims that are not part of my active household.
For the game to move any Sims away from the neighbourhood and delete them if they are friends with any of the Sims in my active household.
For the game to continue generating generic pudding faced Sims.
For the game to continue generating Sims on just the brownish basic skin tone slider. Because seriously there are two other basic skin tones.
For the game to continue generating Sims with just Voice 1. It ticks me off that the game only uses Voice 1, because sooner or later everyone in the world has the same voice. Ugh.
For the game to continue generating Sims with those ugly greenish brown hair colours.

Anything that I haven't listed I should be fine with.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 20th May 2020 at 1:13 PM
That is all controllable and under the purview of what SP manages by way of player options except perhaps for the Voice thing -- not sure, but that may require a different mod in addition.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#14 Old 21st May 2020 at 3:04 AM
Even though I have story progression disabled, it is affecting the aging of vampires. It seems that either story progression or master controller (pretty sure it's story progression since this never happened until I added the story progression mod) is setting the days until aging up for vampires to "Never". And even when I enable aging for all Sims, it undoes it sooner or later. Any idea what may be causing the problem?
Mad Poster
#15 Old 21st May 2020 at 5:04 AM
If this is available to you while progression is switched off (many commands are not), on City Hall or an in-game computer NRaas > SP > Caste Options > Vampires > Death: Allow Aging > True (default should be False).
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#16 Old 21st May 2020 at 7:10 AM
I've enabled aging for Vampires. However, it is still displaying as never aging.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 21st May 2020 at 8:29 AM
It can take some time, sometimes a few sim hours or until the next loadup of the game, for what is displayed under the sims' info tabs to catch up to changes like that even though they take hold immediately.

If you do, on a vamipre sim, SP > Sim Options > Death: Allow Aging and it shows (True) in parentheses then the setting is there.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#18 Old 23rd May 2020 at 12:17 AM
Seems I had to reenable aging for all Sims using NRaas' master controller mod.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 23rd May 2020 at 1:30 AM
MasterConroller does not in any way provide for aging vs. non-aging. But as long as you have the results that you wanted, I guess that is all that's important.