Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jan 2013 at 6:59 PM
Default Is Reading Really Fundamental?
Are the books in TS3 like in TS2, in that they somehow influence the sim's behavior? You know, like certain objects did *I'm thinking of that horrid clown pic, in particular*.

2 sims. One, CAS. Other, Hidden Springs townie. Vacation romance. She decides to stay, she loves him, he loves her. Except.....after 3 sim weeks, nothing about a commitment. Nothing. And as she is telling him he needs to find somewhere else to live, but they can still be friends....he pulls out a book, A Wall Between Us. Really?????

2 sims. Same girl, another townie *the rebound*. Everything is wonderful!! Except....now that he has moved in, she just can't stop thinking about money. All the time. She is a world famous artist, and he is....well, he works at the town diner, and even THAT is a bit much for him. What book does HE pull out? On The Margins.

Somebody tell me I'm not crazy. Please.

It is impossible to get on your feet until you get off your butt.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 16th Jan 2013 at 7:26 PM
Books are completely innocent and random, but that was a very funny story. I've also seen in the past a townie with commitment issues read the book "Commitment Issues". Also, child-aged Mortimer Goth reading "Where's Bella?" always makes me smile. The Twilight-wannabe Aidan (or Aydan or whatever) Van Gould could also read that IMO, but then he could just read "Breaking Wind"...
Field Researcher
#3 Old 16th Jan 2013 at 8:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sirah81
The Twilight-wannabe Aidan (or Aydan or whatever) Van Gould could also read that IMO, but then he could just read "Breaking Wind"...

I thought the Twilight-wannabe was the son Tristan? I think you've been watching too much Being Human. =P (I watch both the US and so far have seen up to and including Series 3 of the UK version) The Vampire in the Supernatural Roommates household was made to look like the character of Aidan, though (I think in game he's Dante Morganthe).
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#4 Old 16th Jan 2013 at 8:41 PM
I think some townies start with books in their inventory according to their traits. Flirty Sims with "Special Snowflake", Sims with commitment issues with, well, "Commitment Issues". I'm pretty sure that I read something along these lines in some forum but I can't remember. I use AwesomeMod, so inventories are wiped clean on start-up.
Alchemist
#5 Old 17th Jan 2013 at 1:48 PM
Butlers will occasionally read "How to Serve and Be Served" in their free time. I see Proprietors read it too.
Scholar
#6 Old 18th Jan 2013 at 2:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by shadedgrey63
I thought the Twilight-wannabe was the son Tristan? I think you've been watching too much Being Human. =P (I watch both the US and so far have seen up to and including Series 3 of the UK version) The Vampire in the Supernatural Roommates household was made to look like the character of Aidan, though (I think in game he's Dante Morganthe).

Tristan is meant to be an Edward Cullen parody and I think his father is meant to be a Dracula parody. Dante and his household are references to Being Human.

There's a lot of throwbacks to supernatural TV shows, books and movies. True Blood, the Weasleys from Harry Potter, Bewitched, Twilight with Bella and her father plus the beach, Doctor Who, Teen Wolf, The Vampire Diaries and Charmed.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 18th Jan 2013 at 2:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
the Weasleys from Harry Potter

Really, what's the throwback to them? I know, off-topic, sorry...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Jan 2013 at 10:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by babele44
I think some townies start with books in their inventory according to their traits. Flirty Sims with "Special Snowflake", Sims with commitment issues with, well, "Commitment Issues".

You are right!! I looked at a few other townies....and the books in their inventories DO correspond with their traits *the ones who have books, that is; reading doesn't seem to be fundamental to ALL sims*

SO, now I wanna know......will reading the book completely affect the trait? Hmmmm...

It is impossible to get on your feet until you get off your butt.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 19th Jan 2013 at 7:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Chocklitkiss
Are the books in TS3 like in TS2, in that they somehow influence the sim's behavior? You know, like certain objects did *I'm thinking of that horrid clown pic, in particular*.

It's random but the only influence they do have is romance sims getting more fun from reading romance novels.
I'm not sure if there is any other link between traits and book genres.
Scholar
#10 Old 19th Jan 2013 at 4:06 PM
Really, what's the throwback to them? I know, off-topic, sorry...

The half magical, half normal MacDuff family have a few similarities. The prank loving twins, the parents both sort of resemble Molly and Arthur and their house looks similar to the burrow: The mismatching furniture and cluttered appearance, the attic with the closet (The ghoul from the books lived in one) and the basement's decor makes me think of how Arthur Weasley was experimenting on muggle technology. Plus the fact that the family has a lot of children and their general physical appearance.

Not as obvious as Bailey Swain but I'd say they're references to the family.
Theorist
#11 Old 19th Jan 2013 at 4:34 PM
Well, like in RL, reading really is fundamental. We're reading all this aren't we? Anyway, my sims start reading as soon as they learn to talk in toddlerhood. I buy all the baby/children's books and have my toddlers read all of them. Makes them faster learners in the long run. Just my 2 simoleons on the matter.

BTW, funny story

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Field Researcher
#12 Old 19th Jan 2013 at 4:51 PM

I'm wrong, my bad. And yeah, of course I've been watching Being Human, it's superior supernatural fiction. Only the UK version, mind you, and only til they moved away. You are absolutely right. Hmm, I better go get married to Dante then....I mean my sim will, yeah.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 19th Jan 2013 at 5:05 PM
So whats the throw back to Doctor Who?
Scholar
#14 Old 19th Jan 2013 at 8:28 PM
The LLAMA travel systems: looks suspicously like the TARDIS, and one of the pre-sets is blue.

About the only recent supernatural media they seem to have missed out on is Buffy, but I'm admittedly having difficulties seeing how they could have used/parodied it.
Site Helper
#15 Old 19th Jan 2013 at 11:36 PM
Well, Buffy had Angel, who was a private investigator vampire in love with a human. That would have been fairly easy to make, if you're going to assume everybody has Ambitions as well as either LN or SUP.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
#16 Old 20th Jan 2013 at 5:44 PM
i only just found out that toddlers have books to learn painting skill and things..the counting for those who cannot and things...I always wondered what they were for.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 20th Jan 2013 at 11:57 PM
What exactly do the books even do, though, honestly? Other than the obvious skill ones, are the differing types of books just the same thing, really?

smash that disagree button fam, red's my favorite color
Mad Poster
#18 Old 21st Jan 2013 at 3:05 AM
I really wish though that books offered an option to input a short paragraph into them that would show up as a WA-style popup. Much more character than just a title!
Scholar
#19 Old 21st Jan 2013 at 4:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Shenti
What exactly do the books even do, though, honestly? Other than the obvious skill ones, are the differing types of books just the same thing, really?

IDK, I use them for two different things:

1) Getting certain sims out of my hair for a while, all while boosting their fun motive.

2) When creating sets, and photo shoots and what not, I use it to... well, get extras out of my hair and... okay, so just one thing, I guess. GETTING SIMS OUT OF MY HAIR!

THE CAT HAIR WIZARD
Instructor
#20 Old 21st Jan 2013 at 9:00 PM
I thought it was funny when my former Imaginary Friend pulled out the book "Do I exist?" My mummy had one too.
Forum Resident
#21 Old 18th Feb 2024 at 8:37 PM Last edited by Deshong : 22nd Feb 2024 at 11:17 PM.
I think there is a correlation between the books Sims read and how it can influence their behavior because it is something I have observed in my game.

For example, during my University Prep School scenario, the male instructor kept autonomously reading 'More Bawdy Tales' and he would flirt with his female students. Then I noticed they also started reading that book as well and would autonomously flirt as well regardless of the male instructor being married with children.

Oh there was a lot of interesting things I found out about my Sims and their relationships. I also observed how the A.I. has the capability to understand and utilize not only base game/EP features outside of 'The Script' but also mods as well.

As far as trait-based goes, the books that my Sims choose do not always match with the traits given. I am aware though that it has been said and confirmed by the developers of TS3 that Sims are more than their traits. Which is something I experience every single time I play the game. Such as Sims have their own goals, thoughts, feelings, etc. Of course only with high free-will and a lack of micromanagement will allow me to just watch and pay attention to each and every Sim's unique nuances. Even with Sims that I tested with the same starting traits and the same skills and levels still displayed a complete difference in personality beyond traits.

There is something else already mentioned here as well; I do think that Sims can also read books that gives the player insight on how the Sim is feeling or what kind of situation the Sim is in. Like one of my female Sims kept reading 'Do I Exist?' and 'Not Expecting Much' in the presence of her male friend that I figured she developed feelings for but he has never shown any interest beyond friendship. She also would call him often and even visit him often until well, she found out and it was confirmed he was not interested in her in that way. However this is one of things that is the most fascinating about the A.I. is that it is dynamic and Sims feelings, thoughts, goals, relationships, etc can change, so there is always something new going on to prevent boredom. Well, for those observant types who play with high free-will and co-op with the A.I. who at least know and understand the basics of psychology than take total control like a puppeteer.

TS3 is indeed more than just a game, lol. I will always be impressed and amazed how well the A.I. imitates human behavior being based on psychology/Maslow's Hierarchy and all. Sim A.I. definitely has an awareness that I noticed since day 1 of playing TS3. Best A.I. I ever witnessed thus far in a life simulator. 😁

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nf4-vofsrc#t=5m40s

Edit: After I had my Sim announce pregnancy to her children, I noticed all of them started reading pregnancy books autonomously. How cute. They are going to be such good older siblings.
Test Subject
#22 Old 22nd Feb 2024 at 3:39 PM
Reading can also influence the rate at which you can possibly get hits and or best sellers so reading is technically important if you are going to aim for a writer career