Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Mar 2012 at 12:12 AM
Default SimCity 5? Rumors and facts.
So far it's just rumors.

I was just recently over at GameSpy and saw this article. http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/121/1219681p1.html
and it looks like Maxis maybe coming out with SimCity 5. So I guess we'll have to to see what EA has to say at the upcoming Game Developers Conference.

I honestly would love to see a new SimCity. I did play SimCity Societies but it just didn't have the same feel as SimCity 4.

Can't wait til there's more facts.

They call me The Seeker.
I've been searching low and high.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 1st Mar 2012 at 1:21 AM
Simtropolis has a write up also...

http://www.simtropolis.com/news/_/f...e-gamestar-r139

I really hope they get this one right. Sim City Societies was a big let down for me.
Inventor
#3 Old 1st Mar 2012 at 1:52 AM
I'd love to see a modernized version of SC4, rather than the craptastic SimCity Societies, which doesn't even belong in the SC franchise (cheers for that, EA).
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Mar 2012 at 11:17 PM
Here's a few pictures that are floating around the Internet.

I'm surprised that the last image has signs that aren't in Simlish.

They call me The Seeker.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 12:00 AM
Interesting. Could they be making a game that takes the customization options of SC:S and combines it with the concentrated awesome that was SC:4? Maybe. I'll keep watching.
Instructor
#6 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 2:03 AM
SimCity Societies could have been a kajillion times better, it was a good game but not great at all. CitiesXL blew me away when I played it and hopefully this does too!
Field Researcher
#7 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 2:04 AM
Looks good, but isn't Sim Societies technically SC5, even though it's not really a Sim City at all?

Common sense is one of nature's great ironies... It turns out common sense isn't so common.

Please see my new journal for news on my mods as well as requests.
Retired
retired moderator
#8 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 2:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Chicken0895
Looks good, but isn't Sim Societies technically SC5, even though it's not really a Sim City at all?

Wash your mouth out! No. It's not. It's not even a game that happened.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 2:24 AM
Here's a snippet from an article over at The Escapist News http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...ement-Next-Week

Quote:
"...according to an interview with Maxis Vice President Lucy Bradshaw given to a German gaming magazine called GameStar and reported by Spanish website Jimdo, Maxis is currently developing SimCity 5 using a new engine called "Glassbox".

The interview is translated from German to Spanish to English, so there will be a little bit of specificity lost. Nevertheless, Bradshaw mentioned that the new Glassbox engine will have built-in multiplayer, roads that won't have to follow straight lines, and upgrade-able buildings. She nixxed the idea of importing your house from The Sims into your city, however."

They call me The Seeker.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 7:57 AM
SimJymm, I wonder if those some of those pictures might be from somewhere else. The first one looks like it *might* be Emergency 2012. Not saying it is but it looks similar to the artwork for that to me.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Instructor
#11 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 8:04 AM
Wait until 6.March when EA/Maxis have a conference where they apparently announce something new.

I hope it's Sim City 5, it's been a long time. I love playing city building games.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Forum Resident
#12 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 8:23 AM
All of these ruminations remind me: Why do niche foreign sites always have early info and interviews regarding Sim games? It makes no sense. A small fraction of their player base is German. A huge amount of the player base is American, and an even larger fraction speaks English. So why do they always do this?
Moderator of Extreme Limericks
#13 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 8:31 AM
I hope this is true... Sim City is one of my absolute favorite things, and I avoided buying Societies after all of the awful things I heard about it.

Any thoughts on the screen shots floating around? They don't quite look consistent from one picture to the next, so I suspect that if they're actually official they might just be concept art. They do seem to have a Maxis-like feel to them, though. And SimJymm, you're totally right: where's the Simlish?!

There's always money in the banana stand.
Retired
retired moderator
#14 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 9:16 AM
As I understand it there are no images of the game itself, only conceptual stuff at this point.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 11:40 AM
I really hope this goes ahead! Sim City is one of my favourite series.
Test Subject
#16 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 11:55 AM
Yes, please bring us SimCity 5. There was no game like SimCity (I played them from SC2000)

Tryed CitiesXL but that doesn't have the "I build this town!" feeling that SimCity had.

I somehow fear, that it is going to be a dlc game. Somehow I hope it is not going to be published by EA!
Please bring us a SimCity like in the good old times. Maybe on some disks instead of a download with DRM and a lot of "social features"...
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 3:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
SimJymm, I wonder if those some of those pictures might be from somewhere else. The first one looks like it *might* be Emergency 2012. Not saying it is but it looks similar to the artwork for that to me.

I never heard of Emergency 2012, so I checked out some screenshots at their website and they do look similar. As to the last image the lack of Simlish bothers me. But the middle image does have a strong "Sims" feel. Odd thing is while I was looking around for Emergency 2012 images the GameStar site popped up a few times, but this might be due to the search engine.

So like folks have said we'll have to wait and see if any Facts come out of GDC. I'm crossing my fingers, I really want to play a new and proper SimCity.

They call me The Seeker.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#18 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 9:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimJymm
I never heard of Emergency 2012, so I checked out some screenshots at their website and they do look similar. As to the last image the lack of Simlish bothers me. But the middle image does have a strong "Sims" feel. Odd thing is while I was looking around for Emergency 2012 images the GameStar site popped up a few times, but this might be due to the search engine.

So like folks have said we'll have to wait and see if any Facts come out of GDC. I'm crossing my fingers, I really want to play a new and proper SimCity.

Yeah, it was only a moderately successful game. It was fun for a while but got repetitive (not worth a recommend). I'd not say no to a new SC though. I like SC4 but my favourites are still the first two. The feel of the first one was so funky and quirky and I played 2000 to death. I think I have played more single games of SC2000 than any other video game ever - including Mass Effect which I have played to death AND the sims - possibly combined. The odd thing is when I try one of the freebie versions you can find on the web, I no longer get it.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Test Subject
#19 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 6:09 AM Last edited by ccrogers15 : 5th Mar 2012 at 6:51 AM.
Default Simcity 5 Trailer Leaked from GDC, titled "SIMCITY"

and it IS being made by maxis:

http://survivalhorrorlist.blogspot....med-titled.html

This is the trailer from GDC. Its a slideshow trailer, but its legit and was confirmed by EA`s twitter as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...d&v=vCZUrPIudCU

Im happy. Its a slideshow from GDC, but its in game, and proves the early screens were in fact real. Its being made by maxis, and is just simply "simcity" meaning its a reboot.
Test Subject
#20 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 6:45 AM
Simcity 5 fully confirmed. Titled "SIMCITY": http://survivalhorrorlist.blogspot....med-titled.html
Scholar
#21 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 9:48 AM Last edited by haricots : 7th Mar 2012 at 8:25 AM.
Quote:
Also... SURPRISE! ITS BEING MADE BY MAXIS!

AAAAAAAAAAARGH!
Sorry, I exploded by happiness..
AAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Hey there! :)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#22 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 3:10 PM
Maxis is still part of EA right? Hmmm - I was just considering kicking all EA games into touch and removing bloody Origin from this computer.

Mad Poster
#23 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 3:32 PM Last edited by HarVee : 11th Mar 2012 at 9:16 AM.
I can't come to believe that EA would even continue the SimCity franchise after almost an entire decade since to the last (real) installment and considering that Societies was a failure.

Also, A 3D SimCity? Anyone here want to lend me their NASA computer? Because I seriously doubt that a 3D SimCity will perform well even on modern gaming computers. Hell, even SC4 is a little bit too much for even the most high-end of computers; at least on high settings that is.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Instructor
Original Poster
#24 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 5:55 PM
It's still too soon to say that the "leaked" trailer can be considered a fact. I think the first fact we'll have to wait for is Maxis/EA to announce the game. Announcement should be on Tuesday.

Latest article I've found is from Joystiq and they discuss the rumored trailer for the game. http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/03/r...-purports-2013/

They call me The Seeker.
Instructor
Original Poster
#25 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 2:27 AM Last edited by SimJymm : 7th Mar 2012 at 4:25 PM. Reason: removed redundant link
Well from what news Kotaku has ... http://kotaku.com/simcity/ ... SimCity is back. YAY!!

I wonder how moddable it will be, like maybe a mod to change the signs to Simlish.

They call me The Seeker.

Page 1 of 7