Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Mar 2018 at 12:41 AM Last edited by hellocoldworld : 9th Mar 2018 at 3:01 AM. Reason: grammar error

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Teenage Sims Cannot Go To School/Has Turned Into A Corruption Help Thread
Hi all. Just recently I’ve gotten into Sims 2. I have the Ultimate Collection, and I have no mods at all. I’ve really been enjoying the game, but I’ve ran into a pretty annoying bug. One of the children in my household has aged up into a teenager. The next morning comes around and it’s time for school (he goes to the private school, if it matters), and he isn’t going. His younger, still child-age brother went fine. But he would get an action to go to school, and then it cancelled itself. I’ve tried the “walk to school” option numerous times, as well as “drive to school” on the car, and every time, the action cancels itself out. I searched to see if anyone else has had this bug and found a couple forums about it online, but everything that people suggested that ended up working for the person hasn’t worked for me. One said to delete the teen with moveobjects and reload the lot. I did that about three times, and nothing. One said to move the family out and bulldoze the lot. Well, since moving is a bit complicated in this game and I didn’t want to lose my house or anything, I moved the household and the house to the Lots bin and then put everything back on the land. Still hasn’t done anything. One said to make sure the needs of the teen are up and nothing is in the red, which of course is the first thing I did anyway.

I’m worried that this bug is gonna cause the teen to get in trouble/have his grades go down. One person with this problem said it sort of froze the grades and acted like the teen was still attending school and being a good student. But I’m concerned nonetheless and would still like my teen to be attending school, obviously.

Any ideas of what to do would be very appreciated. But I’d appreciate anything that doesn’t have to do with resetting the game/messing with the game files... I really don’t trust myself with that, especially considering how this game is very specific with certain things and you can do one thing and bug the game out. I mean, if it HAS to come to it then I might consider an option like that, but I’d like to know all I can try otherwise first.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 8th Mar 2018 at 12:47 AM
Oh no... one of the big no-nos for Sims 2 is putting occupied lots into the lots and housing bins and then plopping them back down into neighborhoods. It creates junk character data that will eventually corrupt your neighborhood. If you have sims on other lots that can go to school just fine, it's likely a problem with the specific lot you've just moved to the bin and back out, which won't fix anything. The only way would be to move your sims to a different, new lot. Unfortunately, this would mean rebuilding their house.

If you're having this problem with other sims on other lots, then this isn't just limited to one lot in particular and it's a problem with the game behavior. In which case, you might want to take a look at any mods or custom content you may have downloaded recently.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 8th Mar 2018 at 3:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by hellocoldworld
Hi all. Just recently I’ve gotten into Sims 2. I have the Ultimate Collection, and I have no mods at all. I’ve really been enjoying the game, but I’ve ran into a pretty annoying bug. One of the children in my household has aged up into a teenager. The next morning comes around and it’s time for school (he goes to the private school, if it matters), and he isn’t going. His younger, still child-age brother went fine. But he would get an action to go to school, and then it cancelled itself. I’ve tried the “walk to school” option numerous times, as well as “drive to school” on the car, and every time, the action cancels itself out. I searched to see if anyone else has had this bug and found a couple forums about it online, but everything that people suggested that ended up working for the person hasn’t worked for me. One said to delete the teen with moveobjects and reload the lot. I did that about three times, and nothing. One said to move the family out and bulldoze the lot. Well, since moving is a bit complicated in this game and I didn’t want to lose my house or anything, I moved the household and the house to the Lots bin and then put everything back on the land. Still hasn’t done anything. One said to make sure the needs of the teen are up and nothing is in the red, which of course is the first thing I did anyway.

I’m worried that this bug is gonna cause the teen to get in trouble/have his grades go down. One person with this problem said it sort of froze the grades and acted like the teen was still attending school and being a good student. But I’m concerned nonetheless and would still like my teen to be attending school, obviously.

Any ideas of what to do would be very appreciated. But I’d appreciate anything that doesn’t have to do with resetting the game/messing with the game files... I really don’t trust myself with that, especially considering how this game is very specific with certain things and you can do one thing and bug the game out. I mean, if it HAS to come to it then I might consider an option like that, but I’d like to know all I can try otherwise first.

By moving the household with sims into the lot bin you just corrupted this hood.
Never move houses with sims or houses that had sims living in them into the lot bin this will corrupt not only the hood you move them out of but it will also corrupt any other hood you place them in.
You doubly corrupted this hood, once when you move them to the lot bin which broke all ties to the hood and again when you place the house back into the hood.
The sims do not retain there links and they are bringing with them broken links back into the hood.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 8th Mar 2018 at 6:03 AM
Maybe hoodchecker can help you now.

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Mar 2018 at 9:12 AM Last edited by hellocoldworld : 8th Mar 2018 at 9:53 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
By moving the household with sims into the lot bin you just corrupted this hood.
Never move houses with sims or houses that had sims living in them into the lot bin this will corrupt not only the hood you move them out of but it will also corrupt any other hood you place them in.
You doubly corrupted this hood, once when you move them to the lot bin which broke all ties to the hood and again when you place the house back into the hood.
The sims do not retain there links and they are bringing with them broken links back into the hood.

Wow, of course, I’ve been very cautious with this game with all I’ve read online and then I carelessly do something I think would be fine and then it breaks everything
But thanks for informing me of this. A related question: there’s absolutely no way to retain a lot you’ve made and edited on Sims 2? Like no way to save the house only? I always spend so much time on my houses and the thought of having to rebuild it all is painful but I guess I have to do it now anyway since I’ve messed things up. But I’m just curious for the future.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Mar 2018 at 9:19 AM Last edited by hellocoldworld : 8th Mar 2018 at 9:54 AM.
I do have another general question now for everyone: is there anyway to bring back the base house that I’ve had this issue with? The unfortunate thing is that this house wasn’t even one of the ones in the unoccupied lots bin, it was one of the premade houses in Belladonna Cave. But I really like this house, and I don’t want to have to switch to a different one. Is there any way to move my household to a new one temporarily, then bulldoze the old lot and bring the base house back?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Mar 2018 at 9:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lientebollemeis
Maybe hoodchecker can help you now.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely look into this.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 8th Mar 2018 at 10:27 AM
A related question: there’s absolutely no way to retain a lot you’ve made and edited on Sims 2? Like no way to save the house only? I always spend so much time on my houses and the thought of having to rebuild it all is painful but I guess I have to do it now anyway since I’ve messed things up. But I’m just curious for the future.

Yes, you can save lots to the Lots & Houses Bin. Make sure the house is empty of sims, pets and graves first. Then, open the Lots & Houses Bin (2nd button) and click the icon that looks like a house with an arrow coming out of it. Your cursor will change to also look like a house with an arrow coming out of it. Click the house you want to save. You'll get a dialog asking if you're sure you want to move the house into the Lots & Houses Bin. Click "Yes". The house will be moved into the bin and removed from the neighborhood map. Just click in the house in the bin and you'll be able to place it back in the neighborhood. (The house will stay in the bin and you can place it as many times as you like.)

If you ever make a mistake and want to delete a house from the bin, there's a tiny trash can icon in the lower right corner of the bin - select the house to be removed and click the trash can icon.
Screenshots
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 8th Mar 2018 at 10:56 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 8th Mar 2018 at 10:24 PM.
I moved the household and the house to the Lots bin

never do that
or install occupied lots
or delete sims from the family bin
or delete graves
or move sims between hoods.

Unfortunately Maxis never removed those tools, but each one will cause the hood to be instantly corrupted. Moving sims out is a hassle (you could try the stay all shrub so as not to lose your stuff) but sometimes moving is what is needed.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 8th Mar 2018 at 12:49 PM
Inge's "Stay Things Shrub" is here: http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2P...2_MiscHacks.htm

Mootilda and Phaenoh's "For Sale" sign with similar functions is here: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=537238
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 8th Mar 2018 at 5:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
Yes, you can save lots to the Lots & Houses Bin. Make sure the house is empty of sims, pets and graves first. Then, open the Lots & Houses Bin (2nd button) and click the icon that looks like a house with an arrow coming out of it. Your cursor will change to also look like a house with an arrow coming out of it. Click the house you want to save. You'll get a dialog asking if you're sure you want to move the house into the Lots & Houses Bin. Click "Yes". The house will be moved into the bin and removed from the neighborhood map. Just click in the house in the bin and you'll be able to place it back in the neighborhood. (The house will stay in the bin and you can place it as many times as you like.)

If you ever make a mistake and want to delete a house from the bin, there's a tiny trash can icon in the lower right corner of the bin - select the house to be removed and click the trash can icon.

Okay, so essentially the same thing I did, just make sure the house isn’t occupied. Got it. Thanks.

Another question I probably should have asked earlier, but is it too late to do these steps for my situation? Or to use the mods linked below to save parts of my house? If I would move my family out of the house now, move them to another, and then move them back, would that fix what I’ve done? I’m thinking no, but I’m just wondering if the corruption I’ve created is with the sims themselves or with the actual house. Or with both. Would saving the house like mentioned here now just be saving corruption?
Field Researcher
#12 Old 8th Mar 2018 at 7:42 PM
There's a database of all the original Maxis-made lots here https://ts2lots.tumblr.com/ which might be helpful if the original lot your sims were living on was an original Belladonna Cove lot. You could download an empty copy off that site and replace the bugged version of the lot with a clean copy and move your sims into the clean copy?
Mad Poster
#13 Old 8th Mar 2018 at 8:18 PM Last edited by RoxEllen1965 : 9th Mar 2018 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Clarify some things
The mods that I linked to in my last post only do one thing. They retain some or all of the furniture in the house when you evict the sims from it. They will not prevent or fix corruption.

Check out this list of essential mods. A few really are considered essential, but a lot of these seem to be just personal favorites. I recommend that you at least get Pescado's nounlinkondelete, ffsdebugger (aka "the batbox"), stuckobjremover, nocorruptdeath, creaturefixes (only needed if you play supernaturals). Also be sure to get the mods listed by Boiling Oil. There is a link to Mootilda's "Hood Checker" in the first post - be sure to get that. It will help remove/repair some problems, but I don't think it will fix this type of corruption.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=532696

EDIT: Users of the Ultimate Collection should use the Apartment Life versions of mods. The links for Pescado's mods in the list of essentials usually go to the support threads, which may or may not link to the most recent versions of some of these mods. The "Director's Cut" is the large .zip files at the bottom of this list. Some of his other mods are in the "hacks" folder. Each collection has some stuff that the other lacks, so if you can't find what you want in one place, look for it in the other.
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/f...x.php?dir=al%2F

Advanced users of SimPE may be able to fix some forms of corruption. I am definitely NOT an advanced user and can't help you there.

Do be aware that the Maxis built-in neighborhoods are all already corrupt to some extent. Tarlia cleaned up the templates for the playable neighborhoods and Jawusa cleaned up the stealth neighborhoods. To use these, delete or otherwise remove the Maxis templates from your Program Files folder and replace with these cleaned versions.

EDIT: Be sure to read the instructions for these to make sure you put them in the right place. Anything that's not a "main hood" needs to go in the Program Files folder, NOT your My Documents folder where your saved games are. The instructions were written for disk-based games. If you have the Ultimate Collection, your folder structure may be different, so if you're not sure where something goes in your game, just ask.

Tarlia's cleaned Maxis neighborhoods: https://meetme2theriver.livejournal.com/63030.html
Jawusa's clean stealth hoods: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=520751

Here's a guide to avoiding some of the things that cause corruption. There is another list of helpful mods at the end of it.
http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Game_gui...ding_corruption

Do also be aware that corruption doesn't necessarily destroy your neighborhood immediately. It may go bad in a few days or it may last a long time. I believe another member recently posted that she's been playing with a known corrupt neighborhood for seven years. Symptoms are fairly obvious and range from bizarre wants, memories, and wrong or missing aspirations (toddlers who want to woohoo 20 sims) to neighborhoods failing to load or even disappearing completely from the neighborhood selector menu.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Mar 2018 at 9:06 PM
The mods that I linked to in my last post only do one thing. They retain some or all of the furniture in the house when you evict the sims from it. They will not prevent or fix corruption.

Check out this list of essential mods. A few really are considered essential, but a lot of these seem to be just personal favorites. I recommend that you at least get Pescado's nounlinkondelete, ffsdebugger (aka "the batbox"), stuckobjremover, nocorruptdeath, creaturefixes (only needed if you play supernaturals). Also be sure to get the mods listed by Boiling Oil. There is a link to Mootilda's "Hood Checker" in the first post - be sure to get that. It will help remove/repair some problems, but I don't think it will fix this type of corruption.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=532696

Advanced users of SimPE may be able to fix some forms of corruption. I am definitely NOT an advanced user and can't help you there.

Do be aware that the Maxis built-in neighborhoods are all already corrupt to some extent. Tarlia cleaned up the templates for the playable neighborhoods and Jawusa cleaned up the stealth neighborhoods. To use these, delete or otherwise remove the Maxis templates from your Program Files folder and replace with these cleaned versions.

Tarlia's cleaned Maxis neighborhoods: https://meetme2theriver.livejournal.com/63030.html
Jawusa's clean stealth hoods: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=520751

Here's a guide to avoiding some of the things that cause corruption. There is another list of helpful mods at the end of it.
http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Game_gui...ding_corruption

Do also be aware that corruption doesn't necessarily destroy your neighborhood immediately. It may go bad in a few days or it may last a long time. I believe another member recently posted that she's been playing with a known corrupt neighborhood for seven years. Symptoms are fairly obvious and range from bizarre wants, memories, and wrong or missing aspirations (toddlers who want to woohoo 20 sims) to neighborhoods failing to load or even disappearing completely from the neighborhood selector menu.

Wow, thank you so much for this post! Insanely helpful and informative. I will definitely check out all these links and attempt to fix this mess and hopefully prevent this from happening again. Thanks again!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 8th Mar 2018 at 10:29 PM
The corruption is with the sims, moving them in the house broke certain things. If you want to keep playing (And you may still play it a good long time) is back up, use Hood Checker, make sure you have all the essential mods, do no more corrupting things. Corruption is basically misread data or broken data, you might not see anything but it is there and it grows. It's also a bit like Russian Roulette since some people continue to play corrupt hoods a year or longer while unlucky people find the sims or hood vanish in a week.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 9th Mar 2018 at 3:09 AM Last edited by hellocoldworld : 9th Mar 2018 at 3:28 AM.
Alright, edit time. Originally I posted here about what I'd done to try to fix my game. One of those things was to install the "clean" neighborhoods into my game. I suspected it would get rid of my family, but still wasn't 100% sure, but I did just check, and they're gone. Soooo... I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and uninstall/reinstall my game. All this is really confusing and it's going to be hard to tell when I've actually fixed the game anyway. I feel like I might always be paranoid about it. So, I'm gonna just do this, install these essential mods and clean neighborhoods from the start, and restart my family. Sigh, I'm sad to have to do this, but my family is gone now anyway, so I would have had to start all over regardless. And why start over on a corrupted game? Even if I'd try to fix it? It'll never be as fixed as an uninstall/reinstall! So I figure this is for the best. Thank you everyone here for your help, I truly appreciate it. I'm happy that fast support for a nearly 12 year old game still exists.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 9th Mar 2018 at 10:16 AM
If you have trouble understanding how to do anything or where to put something, just post here. I edited my big post to hopefully make a couple of things clearer. A complete reinstall should not be necessary unless you messed up your Program Files folders. If all you did was to make changes to your My Documents folder, just delete the Sims 2 stuff there and the game will create a complete new setup the next time you start it.

I have a disk-based game, so mine is My Documents > EA Games > The Sims 2. I think for your Ultimate Collection, it would be My Documents > EA Games > The Simsâ„¢ 2 Ultimate Collection. Just delete that folder and the game will make a brand new set of neighborhoods, cameras, etc. the next time you start it.

Good luck to you. Let us know how things turn out.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 9th Mar 2018 at 10:48 AM
You shouldn't need to uninstall/reinstall. Just delete the problem neighbourhood.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 9th Mar 2018 at 10:54 PM
If you have trouble understanding how to do anything or where to put something, just post here. I edited my big post to hopefully make a couple of things clearer. A complete reinstall should not be necessary unless you messed up your Program Files folders. If all you did was to make changes to your My Documents folder, just delete the Sims 2 stuff there and the game will create a complete new setup the next time you start it.

I have a disk-based game, so mine is My Documents > EA Games > The Sims 2. I think for your Ultimate Collection, it would be My Documents > EA Games > The Simsâ„¢ 2 Ultimate Collection. Just delete that folder and the game will make a brand new set of neighborhoods, cameras, etc. the next time you start it.

Good luck to you. Let us know how things turn out.

Hi. I decided to go through with the reinstall, despite realizing it might not have been necessary. I just wanted to be able to start my game fresh, as I only did have one household, so I wasn't losing much. I wanted to be able to get the clean neighborhoods and essential mods in from the beginning so before I even start playing again, I've got some protection against corruption. But thank you for telling me about how I can delete what's in the documents, could come in handy for the future.

But now I have something else to ask about. I was going to make a separate thread about this, but might as well give it a shot grouping it in here. The only thing I did in-game after I reinstalled it was recreated my family, moved them into the house they had in my first install, and begun to redecorate it as I had it before. After quitting the game for the night, I decided to run HoodChecker, just to see if anything had sprung up after officially launching the game for the first time (I ran it after I put all the mods and neighborhoods in, and everything came out clean). Turns out, some things have started to spring up. Not as many things as I had before and most were able to be removed, but I have a bit of those pesky irremovable memories. For now, they're only showing up in Belladonna Cove (which has the most, makes sense I suppose since this is the neighborhood I'm actively using), Desiderata Valley, and Riverblossom Hills. I've attached the .txt files of what they are.

Now, I've seen tutorials about how you can remove these memories using SimPE and such. I know there's that one thread on here that always gets linked when people struggle with this stuff. But I feel like I need it explained simpler... I'm still unsure how to go about removing them. If you, or anyone, could explain how to fix these specific memory problems I have, I'd sincerely appreciate it. I'm not the most tech-savvy person, so sometimes I really need things spelled out.
Or there could be the chance that these memories are harmless, won't affect my game at all, and I should just leave it be. However, as you can probably understand from this thread, I'm a bit on edge now with this game and I feel pretty paranoid of corruption happening again. So this is why I'd like to make sure. Much thanks!
Attached files:
File Type: txt  hoodchecker RH 3-9-18.txt (198 Bytes, 8 downloads)
File Type: txt  hoodchecker DV 3-9-18.txt (747 Bytes, 7 downloads)
File Type: txt  hoodchecker BDC 3-9-18.txt (1.1 KB, 7 downloads)
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 12:04 PM
It's said (if I understood correctly) that moving sims to another neighbourhood can cause corruption, but a sim from one subhood is falling in love with a sim from another subhood. Can they get married or better not?

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Mad Poster
#21 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 2:47 PM
As far as I know the problem of moving Sims between neighbourhoods only applies to moving Sims between main 'hoods by moving the occupied house to the bin (or it can be done by exporting the Sim in SimPE, if you don't subsequently clone them in Body Shop). But I'm pretty sure that moving Sims between sub-hoods within the same Megahood or Überhood (or whatever you want to call it) is safe. If it isn't, then an awful lot of our neighbourhoods are going to be toast. I know my Sims certainly don't care what sub-hood other Sims come from.

Of course, if the politicians and their supporters in these sub-hoods are anything like as xenophobic as some Real Life politicians I can think of, they may make life very unpleasant for these "unpatriotic" Sims and their "foreign" spouses. These unfortunates may then face ostracism or worse. But, for myself, I always try to encourage more enlightened attitudes among my Sims.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 4:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
As far as I know the problem of moving Sims between neighbourhoods only applies to moving Sims between main 'hoods by moving the occupied house to the bin (or it can be done by exporting the Sim in SimPE, if you don't subsequently clone them in Body Shop). But I'm pretty sure that moving Sims between sub-hoods within the same Megahood or Überhood (or whatever you want to call it) is safe. If it isn't, then an awful lot of our neighbourhoods are going to be toast. I know my Sims certainly don't care what sub-hood other Sims come from.

Of course, if the politicians and their supporters in these sub-hoods are anything like as xenophobic as some Real Life politicians I can think of, they may make life very unpleasant for these "unpatriotic" Sims and their "foreign" spouses. These unfortunates may then face ostracism or worse. But, for myself, I always try to encourage more enlightened attitudes among my Sims.

My sim couple will love to hear this.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#23 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 7:37 PM
Sub-hoods that are attached to a neighbourhood are part of the neighbourhood. Moving sims around is not a problem. Moving sims from one main neighbourhood to another is a problem as is putting an occupied lot in the bin.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
#24 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 3:54 PM
Or there could be the chance that these memories are harmless, won't affect my game at all, and I should just leave it be.

They are harmless.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 6:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
They are harmless.

Okay, so I don’t have to worry about removing them at all?
Is there any way to tell when one of these irremovable memories are harmful?
Page 1 of 2