Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#11251 Old Today at 11:32 AM
Maybe catch butterflies or fireflies has a percentage chance of getting a bug for the bug collection.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11252 Old Today at 12:10 PM
Or maybe iforgot has a mod? I seem to remember they are maybe playing Chris Hatch's EP.
Field Researcher
#11253 Old Today at 12:29 PM
I doubt hatch would have altered that. In any case, we'll have it your ways.

It didn't happen, I'm imagining things, going crazy, or whatever.

I can't be bothered to argue about such a stupid thing.

Shabado... sha..ba..doo..badooo
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11254 Old Today at 1:09 PM
Oh, I wasn't arguing, apologies if it came across as that! It's just that this is definitely something that happens with bug hunting, and you did mention you have a lot of mods and an unofficial EP. But maybe it's as Charity says and it's a rare thing with butterfly collecting.
Field Researcher
#11255 Old Today at 2:37 PM
Well, I did some digging to clear my name.

To make it fair, I did this with a completely clean objects package - the one from the ultimate collection (The real one, not the fake Mr DJ one) and no third party mods at all.

So! Turns out we're both right.. sort of!

Firstly, let's look into the interaction "catch butterfly":

We can see here, this leads us to run the catch interaction on an object with GUID 0x7216D4E0. Let's look for it!

Now, we can see below it has an interaction "Interaction - Catch". What does this function do I wonder? Well, it leads us to run a tree called "CT - Hunt Butterfly":

Aha! And now, we can see here:

That this particular function is directly linked to the bug hunting interactions, and will trigger the bug collection actions. Therefore, we can see that this function can and will trigger the notification I had previously shown.

I rest my case.
Screenshots

Mad Poster
#11256 Old Today at 4:20 PM
You could have used a lot less effort if you just checked the wiki lol. https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Bug_collecting

With FreeTime, trying to catch butterflies or fireflies will build nature enthusiasm, as will viewing captured ones. Also, Sims who catch butterflies might occasionally put them in their bug collection.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11257 Old Today at 5:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iforgot
That this particular function is directly linked to the bug hunting interactions, and will trigger the bug collection actions. Therefore, we can see that this function can and will trigger the notification I had previously shown.

I rest my case.

Very cool, great detective work! I'll make sure to catch more butterflies and fireflies, I've never yet seen this happen (although I have seen the bugs 'escape' from the box).

Quote: Originally posted by Charity
You could have used a lot less effort if you just checked the wiki lol.

Good thinking, but my engineering brain trusts the code much more that something someone wrote on a public wiki. Nice to see it's correct though, I'm always happy to be proved wrong, especially when I learn something new about the game!
Field Researcher
#11258 Old Today at 6:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Good thinking, but my engineering brain trusts the code much more that something someone wrote on a public wiki. Nice to see it's correct though, I'm always happy to be proved wrong, especially when I learn something new about the game!

Same!

It could be argued (without evidence) that the wiki information is inaccurate, or holding misinformation due to wording, interpretation etc. Thus cannot truly resolve the dispute. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they do their very best to be accurate, but the games object file and information given can be verified by anyone easily.

Page 451 of 451