Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#876 Old 4th May 2024 at 1:56 PM
I've warmed to the little characters. I love how they look slightly defensive like they've just walked into a room full of hostile strangers, with their arms held tightly by their sides and their shoulders all tense. I think it's actually something they're looking to fix but I'd love if we can give our characters a trait that would make that their default posture.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
Instructor
#877 Old 4th May 2024 at 3:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I've warmed to the little characters. I love how they look slightly defensive like they've just walked into a room full of hostile strangers, with their arms held tightly by their sides and their shoulders all tense. I think it's actually something they're looking to fix but I'd love if we can give our characters a trait that would make that their default posture.

Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#878 Old 4th May 2024 at 3:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I've warmed to the little characters.

That's really good to hear a positive view on this. There is a certain charm to it, I was just a little worried that we wouldn't be able to change this at all. At one point the arm posture was looking better in their videos, and then I was seeing videos where it reverted. Maybe they went back to an earlier build, or maybe based on what was mentioned a few posts back, this is due to the default being narrow, and players will be able to amend individuals. I love the way the rest of it is looking, though!

Another thing that occurred to me is that Tectonic really are victims of the moment- they rushed to show LBY before Project Rene to take the wind out of EA's sails, and offering an alternative to Paralives. But then, the whole playing field was completely scuppered by Inzoi coming out of nowhere, and demonstrating what a huge budget can do. Everything looks pathetic compared to Inzoi's realism, I'm just thinking that Paralives might win on gameplay, and LBY might do well for those who love to customise. I'm sure there will be something that appeals to everyone, which is a really good place for us players to be in!
Top Secret Researcher
#879 Old 4th May 2024 at 4:32 PM
I don't really worry about the actual look (that's what CC is for) but the proportions are still really odd, the animations are still odd (the walk and the interactions; the way the guy ended the beach collecting looked like he has serious back problems and possibly a gaping wound that he was trying not to aggravate; never even mind the jumps in between movements).

If the proportions don't work, the animations will look wonky even if they improve. Combine that with sims that don't actually talk, it creates huge problems with immersion for me. And that is quite a big problem for me.

So, yes, I don't think I will buy this in Early Access.

If I need to build a new computer for a new game, it better be worth it.
Lab Assistant
#880 Old 4th May 2024 at 7:12 PM
Having such 3d models for a game is a big oversight in my opinion. The possibility that the animations cannot get better saddens me.

I understand that both an artistic style and an art direction are subjective which means that it is open to interpretation by the community. You can choose an art style and you can think that you made the right choice and that is perfectly fine. But, when a product, specifically a game in this case, is on the market, the public will eventually decide if the game is worthy of our time as well as the critics.
Instructor
#881 Old 4th May 2024 at 7:29 PM Last edited by FREEDOM_55 : 4th May 2024 at 8:29 PM. Reason: added quotes from article
Quote: Originally posted by Ramaru
Is this confirmed in the discord? If so, that means they're bigger than Paralives, not nearly as big as EA, and likely totally eclipsed by the inZOI team. I think one of the biggest problems is some people imagined because this is Paradox, they would be on the same level as EA production-wise.

My source is a couple of rambles in his videos & interviews with Rod Humble, a few articles, Reddit, and LinkedIn. No harassment, strictly for research and science purposes for anyone interested.

Quote: Originally posted by eugene_b
They're a small team of mostly mobile game developers trying to make "the biggest life sim ever" as their first project, and that sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Especially since their decision-making is questionable at best. Why did they have a single artist working on such a big game for years?

one of many articles: https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/n...ow-you-can-play
Quote: Originally posted by some direct quotes from epicgames article linked above

Art director Richard Khoo also came from a background in mobile games, where he often worked alone or in small teams, iterating on new games. He jumped at the chance to work on a big PC project. For a long time, he was still the only artist on the team. "I've worked at a lot of startups, so I'm really familiar with trying to build something from the ground up," he says.

Even now, as the game approaches its Early Access release, the team-size is only a handful of people. "We like to stay pretty agile," he says. "That way, we can experiment, and play with things, making sure that we're creating something that our audience wants. It allows us to be focused on the things that really matter."....When Khoo began on Life by You, he and the team knew roughly what they wanted, in terms of art direction. "We wanted to differentiate ourselves," he explains. "I wanted to find a good balance between something that is not too cartoony and not too realistic."

Quote: Originally posted by more quotes from article
Prior to Life by You, Culver worked in the mobile games sector. She doesn't miss the monetize-first design imperatives of mobile development. "I'm excited to be working in the PC space, and putting all my energy into just making it fun. Since The Sims was one of the first games that I really got into as a kid, it feels like my career's coming full circle, which is nice."

LinkedIn pages:

Quote:
17 people on the team according to linkedin, might not reveal the whole picture, but it probably reveals most of it

https://www.linkedin.com/company/pa...ectonic/people/
https://www.linkedin.com/company/paradox-tectonic

Quote:
senior game designer page, mobile game developer. Also, look through other similar profiles, most of them are paradox tectonic members

https://www.linkedin.com/in/gabrielcornish/
Page 36 of 36