Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th May 2018 at 6:30 AM
Sims 2 Clothing rigging/toolkid error... help?
this is a problem i've been having with making new clothing meshes in the sims 2.

Long story short, i tried following this tutorial here: http://modthesims.info/t/487443
I was trying to make a mesh of a police officer with both of his hands cut off.

I only wanted the mesh to be for One clothing (I still wanted the normal police officer outfit with hands to be available too)
But as you see in this image, all the sims i have wearing the police officer outfit have no hands, and also the texture for the outfit is missing/goofed up.

does anyone know what's causing this issue? and does anyone know how i can fix it so i can still use a mesh of a police officer outfit without hands?
please help.

if you have any questions though, just ask...
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 18th May 2018 at 11:42 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 18th May 2018 at 12:22 PM.
Can you upload the files (mesh file + recolor file, package format)? I'm guessing it may come from an improperly linked and/or improperly made mesh file or some such, but without looking at the files I can only theorize.

If the wrists having a big open hole bothers you, you need to reshape that part of the mesh and make a rounded shape. If you haven't cut off the mesh too far down, you can merge the outer vertices into a single vertex, and reshape so it looks more natural.

As for the rigging issue, I'm not sure that's the proper tutorial to use (it's possibly intended for other uses). If all you added was the gun, it should be enough to mark a vertex roughly in the placement of the gun, click "show" in the Joints tab, then mark the vertices of the gun, and click "assign". The rest of the police outfit (looks like the regular EAxis one, except for the hands) should keep the original assigning. The vertex at the end of the hands if you merged them should be assigned the same as the vertices in the next row, so it keeps the correct chape when the sim moves.

For morphs, you may be able to add the gun easily by first duplicating that group for the morph, then selecting the two groups (remember the order you select them in) and adding them together, doing it in the same order for the morph. That way the vertices keep the number order, so the morph doesn't blow up. This doesn't always work, so make sure to save a copy of the Milkshape file from before you joined the layers.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th May 2018 at 1:49 PM Last edited by Prime : 18th May 2018 at 2:07 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Can you upload the files (mesh file + recolor file, package format)? I'm guessing it may come from an improperly linked and/or improperly made mesh file or some such, but without looking at the files I can only theorize.

If the wrists having a big open hole bothers you, you need to reshape that part of the mesh and make a rounded shape. If you haven't cut off the mesh too far down, you can merge the outer vertices into a single vertex, and reshape so it looks more natural.

As for the rigging issue, I'm not sure that's the proper tutorial to use (it's possibly intended for other uses). If all you added was the gun, it should be enough to mark a vertex roughly in the placement of the gun, click "show" in the Joints tab, then mark the vertices of the gun, and click "assign". The rest of the police outfit (looks like the regular EAxis one, except for the hands) should keep the original assigning. The vertex at the end of the hands if you merged them should be assigned the same as the vertices in the next row, so it keeps the correct chape when the sim moves.

For morphs, you may be able to add the gun easily by first duplicating that group for the morph, then selecting the two groups (remember the order you select them in) and adding them together, doing it in the same order for the morph. That way the vertices keep the number order, so the morph doesn't blow up. This doesn't always work, so make sure to save a copy of the Milkshape file from before you joined the layers.

here's the download link to them: https://www.4shared.com/rar/uJipE3l...lorAndMesh.html

the only thing I had a problem with was the texture, it's all just a skin color and also that it replaced the police officer costume i had for all of them but i wanted it to be separate (i'm not sure if i explained that right but i hope it made sense)

the way the gun was held didn't really matter to me at all honestly. it was just that the texture was meshed up and that it replaced the original police outfit too

UPDATE:

I think i figured out what's wrong.... i believe it's because i forgot to fix the integrity on the mesh...
Mad Poster
#4 Old 18th May 2018 at 2:10 PM
I can't download from 4shared - I had an account there, but my old login info doesn't work, and I don't even get to the 20 second wait for the free download (It's really not a friendly site for uploads). Do you happen to have somewhere else you can upload (I sent you a Simfileshare code, just in case)?

If it's messing up other outfits too, it's possible you've accidentally made a slightly borked default replacement.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th May 2018 at 2:14 PM
I can't download from 4shared - I had an account there, but my old login info doesn't work, and I don't even get to the 20 second wait for the free download (It's really not a friendly site for uploads). Do you happen to have somewhere else you can upload (I sent you a Simfileshare code, just in case)?

If it's messing up other outfits too, it's possible you've accidentally made a slightly borked default replacement.

here it is
Attached files:
File Type: rar  recolorAndMesh.rar (594.3 KB, 11 downloads) - View custom content
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th May 2018 at 2:40 PM
UPDATE: i fixed the error of it being a 'default replacement' by changing the integrity in the Mesh file (i forgot to do that) BUT the texture is still not showing up right. it's all just one skin color...
Mad Poster
#7 Old 18th May 2018 at 3:18 PM
You need to re-link the recolor, because now the mesh has different resources.

You may also want to fix the name of the GMDC. Strictly not necessary, but looks a bit better in the file. I usually copy the GMDC name (after fix integrity), replace the resource, and paste in the name in the "filename" box, before I commit and save.
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th May 2018 at 3:19 PM
You need to re-link the recolor, because now the mesh has different resources.

i did afterward.
the texture is still showing up the same way though
Mad Poster
#9 Old 18th May 2018 at 3:22 PM
Delete the cache files. If that doesn't work, upload the edited files.
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 18th May 2018 at 3:25 PM
Delete the cache files. If that doesn't work, upload the edited files.

here are the edited files
Attached files:
File Type: rar  recolorAndMeshEditedfiles.rar (595.5 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content
Mad Poster
#11 Old 18th May 2018 at 3:35 PM
May be an UVmapping issue. Some programs (may even be a bug in SimPE) make the UVmap hop down a full space, and this can mess up CAS items. I've had it happen before.

Explanation of why it's a likely cause: I exported the OBJ version of the mesh into Wings (which has that UVmap issue with GMDCs exported as OBJs), and with a normally functioning mesh when that UVmap error is not present, the map jumps down one space. Yours was down two spaces, meaning the UVmap probably already was borked.

You should be able to fix this by marking the entire UVmap in Milkshape, locking the X tick box, and moving the map up one full space. It has to be within the "texture square" frame, and if it's outside, CAS textures don't show up. In Milkshape it's easiest if you apply an extracted UVmap as a texture to the mesh, and use it as a guide (I attached the UVmap below)

If you export the GMDC properly (the right-click/export option, NOT the "export..." button in the Plugin view) you shouldn't get this issue. It only happens when exporting as OBJs, and mostly just for CAS meshes. Object meshes don't seem to have the same problem.
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 18th May 2018 at 5:32 PM
May be an UVmapping issue. Some programs (may even be a bug in SimPE) make the UVmap hop down a full space, and this can mess up CAS items. I've had it happen before.

Explanation of why it's a likely cause: I exported the OBJ version of the mesh into Wings (which has that UVmap issue with GMDCs exported as OBJs), and with a normally functioning mesh when that UVmap error is not present, the map jumps down one space. Yours was down two spaces, meaning the UVmap probably already was borked.

You should be able to fix this by marking the entire UVmap in Milkshape, locking the X tick box, and moving the map up one full space. It has to be within the "texture square" frame, and if it's outside, CAS textures don't show up. In Milkshape it's easiest if you apply an extracted UVmap as a texture to the mesh, and use it as a guide (I attached the UVmap below)

If you export the GMDC properly (the right-click/export option, NOT the "export..." button in the Plugin view) you shouldn't get this issue. It only happens when exporting as OBJs, and mostly just for CAS meshes. Object meshes don't seem to have the same problem.

that fixed it <3
thank you! <3