Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jan 2024 at 1:08 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Bug Box Missing
Hey I wasn't sure where else I could ask this but I've recently had my first sim ever complete her bug box (yay!) and at some point the box seems to have gotten lost. As far as I can tell, if I set her to search for bugs now she never finds anything, which makes me think the bug box hasn't been deleted necessarily (wouldn't she be able to start over if it was?) Is there a way I can figure out where the thing might have possibly gone? Is there a documented glitch of bug boxes disappearing? Could I find it or respawn it using a mod or SimPE? Any advice besides "check the inventory of the sims on the lot and visually check the lot again," would be great. If I'm stuck, I'm stuck, it's not super important, but it's just... well, bugging me. If I'd just deleted it and she could start over I probably wouldn't be so annoyed even if I probably wouldn't fill it again, because at least if I knew that was what happened I would know where it went.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 23rd Jan 2024 at 8:39 PM
Hmm, I've had issues with inventory items becoming invisible while still technically being in the inventory—e.g. a Sim will still be able to use their cell phone or MP3 player despite no longer appearing in the inventory. Does this persist when you exit and re-enter the lot/game? I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to inspect a Sim's inventory with SimPE but it doesn't seem to show any useful information...
Instructor
#3 Old 24th Jan 2024 at 8:55 PM Last edited by FuryCat : 25th Jan 2024 at 4:38 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by kittenn1011
Hey I wasn't sure where else I could ask this but I've recently had my first sim ever complete her bug box (yay!) and at some point the box seems to have gotten lost. As far as I can tell, if I set her to search for bugs now she never finds anything, which makes me think the bug box hasn't been deleted necessarily (wouldn't she be able to start over if it was?) Is there a way I can figure out where the thing might have possibly gone? Is there a documented glitch of bug boxes disappearing? Could I find it or respawn it using a mod or SimPE? Any advice besides "check the inventory of the sims on the lot and visually check the lot again," would be great. If I'm stuck, I'm stuck, it's not super important, but it's just... well, bugging me. If I'd just deleted it and she could start over I probably wouldn't be so annoyed even if I probably wouldn't fill it again, because at least if I knew that was what happened I would know where it went.

Can you try with other Sims? See if their bug boxes mysteriously disappear too.
You can try searching with SimPE in inventories. Because inventory items are stored in your Sims' memory panel, you can check there. See this thread on how.

April Black said in one of her videos that the game can get confused in inventories rarely. Because memories and tokens live in harmony with normal inventory items, could the game have gotten confused and replaced the bug box with some sort of token or memory? I have no idea if this is possible or not, but it's the only explanation I can understand. Very weird!

Are you sure she can't find anything? Again, check with other Sims too. Does the same thing happen to them too? I've never actually had a Sim complete a bug box (Bravo, my Sims never find anything ) so I can't say that I know what happens when a Sim completes it, if they start over or not...

Had your Sim gotten their bug box out of their inventory at some point? Or did they only keep it forever in their inventory? I don't know if this means anything but...

Edit: Also try this here . It lets you transfer inventory items. First, have your Sim empty their inventory except for the bug box (It's hidden anyway.) and click on the vase. If you don't have another Sim in the family, move one temporarily (You can move them out later) and transfer all inventory items to them. Then go to the extra Sim and check THEIR inventory both ingame and in SimPE if one doesn't work. I don't know if this'll help or not, as I still don't know if the bug box is... Stuck and bugged (So sorry) or just a problem with this Sim.

Has this happened with other inventory items to the same Sim?

Cats are the cutest creatures. And the most stubborn.
Instructor
#4 Old 24th Jan 2024 at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Acrylonitrile
Hmm, I've had issues with inventory items becoming invisible while still technically being in the inventory—e.g. a Sim will still be able to use their cell phone or MP3 player despite no longer appearing in the inventory. Does this persist when you exit and re-enter the lot/game? I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to inspect a Sim's inventory with SimPE but it doesn't seem to show any useful information...

If you meant just checking the inventory's item, I think you can find inventory items in your Sim's memory panel in SimPE, correct me if I'm wrong.

Lab Assistant
#5 Old 25th Jan 2024 at 11:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FuryCat
If you meant just checking the inventory's item, I think you can find inventory items in your Sim's memory panel in SimPE, correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, but they're all just labeled "---" with no further information when you click on the item. Then again, I think my version of SimPE has gone a bit funny lately and is well overdue for an update......
Instructor
#6 Old 26th Jan 2024 at 3:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Acrylonitrile
Yes, but they're all just labeled "---" with no further information when you click on the item. Then again, I think my version of SimPE has gone a bit funny lately and is well overdue for an update......

In the thread I mentioned, I think you can see where they are. I can't see any ---...