Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Space Pony
#801 Old 8th Nov 2005 at 11:45 AM
If anyone is bored (please, please!), I have a thread here ---> http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?p=838552

I posted to its own thread, cos I had so many pictures... I need your expert advice - my head is exploding from thinking about it so much!

If at first you DO succeed, try not to look so astonished!
Advertisement
Inventor
#802 Old 9th Nov 2005 at 12:15 AM
Numenor: You get Chrissy's stairs figured out? I was hoping to use them in my game as well and, no offense Chrissy, stairs are much cooler when recolorable. I think she can't get the recolor to work. She did a great job, don't you think? Especially since she noted she was a rookie 2 pages back lol. (way to go Chrissy)
I tried to figure them out but I have no clue on stairs. I can do regular decorative objects and some lights but stairs are way out of my league. She had mentioned using the tool to recolor gives the error that it's not recolorable. Would that be a reference in the original file? Oh, I don't know. That's why I was hoping you'd figure it out because you are the teach.. lol. Our own personal Modding Instructor. :D
Let me know
xts

(Quote) ~ "If it isn't one thing, it's going to be another. It is usually one thing. Oh man, is it a mother" (The Mother of All Things) - PB
Test Subject
#803 Old 9th Nov 2005 at 1:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JWoods
Dyamondgyrl77: I thought I answered you yesturday but in case it's me, I will tell you again... I made a mesh tool tutorial specifically for "dressers" and it work perfectly if followed to the "T". Following my object tutorial will not produce such an object but will give you some basic "know how" of how to create non-animated objects. The mesh tool tuorial I speak of is specifically for a dresser and I have used that procedure at least 20 times. Try it out, it works...
I have looked (and downloaded) your tutorials (which by the way are very good) but that tutorial you are referencing says that it's not for beginners. I am a beginner in every way. I did do your tutorial for the table that came out great and now I am trying to create a whole theme around in and build another home (that's another issue) but I want to know how to create objects that have a little more depth. the table in your tutorial was quite plain and I want to know how to create some objects that are similiar to the detail that we created the table from (Talking Table). Do you know what I mean? How can I use that tutorial to help me create a the dresser that I want?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#804 Old 9th Nov 2005 at 2:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chrissy6930
Numenor: I have created my stairs yet again. and I think this time I got it all right from the start. the scenegrapher appears to look fine as well.
the stairs show up ingame but still I cannot find my color options. shouldn't I now be able to use the design tool ? because attempting to do so still returns the error 'this object is not designable'.
thus what else should I do? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaase !

*tears her hair* :shrug: :confused: :shrug:

I my! I have read your message, elaborated an answer and then I didn't post it!!!

Please forgive me :p

Well, the answer is that you have added the blocks into all the GMNDs, but you haven't enabled them. You have to open each GMND, count how many cDataListExtension blocks there are (usually 2, except for the "norailings" one) and add the same number of lines in the Datalist Extension Reference list, that is visible in the GMND, "cObjectGraphNode" tab, on the right. You have to add the lines and then fill in these fields: "Enabled" = 0x01 for all the lines; and "Index" = 1 (for the first line), or 2 (for the second line).

Just to let you understand: the game reads the cDataListExtension blocks (i.e. the tsDesignModeEnabled and the tsMaterialsMeshName) only if they are referenced in the list: if the list contains a number of entries less than the number of blocks, the last blocks aren't read by the game. If, on the contrary, the list contains too many entries, the game will crash.

In your previous version of the stairs, the list was correct, if I remember well...

This image from a JWoods' tutorials may make things more clear:

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Part-time Hermit
#805 Old 9th Nov 2005 at 4:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dyamondgyrl77
I have looked (and downloaded) your tutorials (which by the way are very good) but that tutorial you are referencing says that it's not for beginners. I am a beginner in every way. I did do your tutorial for the table that came out great and now I am trying to create a whole theme around in and build another home (that's another issue) but I want to know how to create objects that have a little more depth. the table in your tutorial was quite plain and I want to know how to create some objects that are similiar to the detail that we created the table from (Talking Table). Do you know what I mean? How can I use that tutorial to help me create a the dresser that I want?

That's because creating dressers is not for beginners . When you first go through the object creation tutorial and make the table, and when you then gradually gain more experience, especially in making meshes in Milkshape, you will know how to apply the dresser tutorial without needing detailed instructions. I'm still saying you should give it more time and practise using Milkshape. There can't be a detailed tutorial for every imaginable object, you will have to learn the basics first by hard work, and then you can make other objects without needing a specific tutorial for them.

Here are a couple of links to Milkshape tutorials that have nothing to do with Sims 2, they will just teach you the basics of the program in general. These are what I used to learn when I started making Sims 2 objects:

http://www.josh.ch/joshch/tutorials...reparation.html
http://www.planetfortress.com/tf2mo...to_ms3d_sc1.htm
http://www.planetfortress.com/tf2mo...o_ms3d_sc2a.htm
Field Researcher
#806 Old 9th Nov 2005 at 5:05 AM
Soz. I don't know what happened?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#807 Old 9th Nov 2005 at 9:54 AM
Jucie, I'm not sure to have understood the problem; however, I've noticed that one of the groups is called "fenceloftblacksmokerail_smoked_" (with an ending underscore), while the original subset name is "fenceloftblacksmokerail_smoked_alpha". I bet this was not intentional, was it?

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Lab Assistant
#808 Old 9th Nov 2005 at 11:11 AM
Default Now I really need some help.
Ok.
After a long time away from playing/making objects for my Sims i'm back.
But i really really need some help to fix some things.

For my "Stress down Set" it has been reported that only the chair work. Meening that the chair can be placed and used, while the table is in the objects bin, but can not be selected/placed.
I have tried to figure out why this is, but has come up with nothing.

The chair is a clone from the diamondback dining chair and the table from the outdoor "garden" table so they should both be compatible without any EP.

But as it is now only the chair works without EP's. And this is what I need help with. What have I done wrong with the table? Why isnt is working without EP's?

I really hope someone can help me with this. There are a lot of people whom have DL this, but cant use it because they dont have EP's.

All my objects and creations are free of use and should always stay that way. IE. Do NOT UL to ANY pay site.
For my recolor of other peoples mesh, se their info reg. redistribution.

And. A linked credit to my object is always nice :)
Lab Assistant
#809 Old 9th Nov 2005 at 11:28 AM
Numenor : u r a star ! its perfectly working now !! :dance: :cdance: :dance:
*gives Numenor a kiss on his cheak*

I have yet to check out my fence though...

JucIEJ1991: the only thing I could notice is that u do not seem to have done any uv mapping yet...
Screenshots
The ModFather
retired moderator
#810 Old 9th Nov 2005 at 12:25 PM
Moon_Ez - If you look into the OBJf file (Object Functions, not Object Data), you'll see that all the entries refer to "private" BHAVs that do not exist in your package. Actually, I can't understand how it can work without the EP either...

Anyway, I suggest to reclone the original table, extract the two OBJf files; use them to replace the ones currently in your custom table.

Chrissy - Wonderful! I'm proud of you

Field Researcher
#811 Old 9th Nov 2005 at 8:45 PM
No it was not intentional i was going to fix that later. Chrissy there is no UVmap cauz i want it to revert to the original like my others have.
Inventor
#812 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 12:22 AM
Moon, can't you just clone another table and replace the gmdc wtih your file and update the other info, transferring all your info to the new package file?
I can't find an outdoor garden table in the list of original tables.

I have NuMica Allinall Card Table, PINEGULTCHER Outdoor minitable (that one it?), The talking table, flatwoud dining table by Iseeya, Tablablanca from Simporters.Ltd., exploding dragon table, luxiary "ample king" dining table, milano royale dining table, manor house paree dining table, and Discourse dining table.

Those tables seem to have came with the original going by my uni guide. Maybe that's enough information to help until someone else can ?

Best to ya!!!
xts

(Quote) ~ "If it isn't one thing, it's going to be another. It is usually one thing. Oh man, is it a mother" (The Mother of All Things) - PB
Lab Assistant
#813 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 12:51 AM
okay i made a couch tat is curved and when my sim sits on the left or right side his legs go through the couch. i would put it here for you to download, but i don't know how. could someone tell me?

also, i am making a tv. i have resized the screen but now i dont know what to do with it. what should i do?
Inventor
#814 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 1:40 AM
bowbow, click on "go advanced" below and see "manage attachments". There is where you can attach your file

If it were my couch, I'd go back into milkshape (or whatever 3d program you use) and resize it a bit there, moving it back a little but otherwise I don't know what else to do.
I, myself, pondered making a round couch but didn't just for that reason. Best to you in your project!

xts

Lab Assistant
#815 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 9:35 AM
Ok I dont know if this problem has been dealt with previously but there are about 800 replies to this thread and it is a little bit late to read em all.

I posted all this on another thread but Lethe_s redirected me here.

So here I go

I am fairly new to making new meshes I Downloaded and used JWoods tutorial Object Creation 2.0 and It worked like a charm when I did the tutorial dining table, I got the hang of it, then I decided to give it a go on making a new thing, I chose a desk and cloned the "Officinetta" desk or something like that... anyhoo I followed every single step and It never showed up on my game... I have done this whole shebang for like the 5th time and nothing.... I am getting a little frustrated as I have done this before (the tutorial dining table)

Linegud told me that it was probably that I renamed the mesh exported from SimPE (And it was) So I went back to do that being careful to respect the name.

I left the name SimPE gave me from the begining Desk-value something...

I overwrited the ungrouped .obj SimPE Exported with the regrouped .obj I made in Milkshape, and when I imported it to SimPe, the preview showed me the original mesh.......(freaky), then with the same name I saved the grouped mesh in other place, Imported and there it was the complete mesh, When I fixed Integrity I revised that had the same name, I reused the previous GUIDs from other desk (that I had already deleted)........another hour without progress.....another day without progress, Am I incredibly dumb? Maybe, but I am not giving up until one sim sits in THAT desk to check their E-mail without a rest.

Anyway I am posting the last .package I have of the last attemp of desk I did (about an hour ago) so please anyone give it a shot to help me know what to do, I am not asking for someone to fix it but tell me WTF I am doing wrong so I dont repeat it never again.

Thanx for taking the time to read all this.
Test Subject
#816 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 10:32 AM
I´m probaly not very good at explaining myself..... but I took a look at your pacakage and I found that the name in the GeometryDataContainer to be wrong. It said Desk_v_s and it should be only.... desk.... I changed it, commited, saved and fixed integrity and it shows up in my game.
It is in milkshape you have to keep the name it shows up with.... in this case "desk". You can change the names in the working proces... just remember to change back after you regroup your parts after UV mapping...
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#817 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 10:40 AM
OMG! my desk! I have waited soooo long to see that thing!!

Thank you so much I owe you a lot! I am sorry to be so stubborn and not pay attention to what you said previously.... I got it perfectly figured out now!

You have been such a help to me and in this late hour 4:38 am! ha so I think I am going to open my game and stare at my desk for about 20 minutes now... then I'll go to make some recolors and to TRY to add some handles to the drawers and the door.

I cant thank you enough!
Lab Assistant
#818 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 10:45 AM
Sandollar:

a couple things I noticed:

1. your package name: u should make it a unique name and avoid spaces - the general format should be similar to 'yournameornick_yournewmesh'

2. upon creation of the package u should choose a unique name in the 'rename wizard' with the format 'yournameornick.yournewmesh'. the internal filenames do not look like u did.

3. your subsetname in the GMDC is different from that mentioned in the SHPE - 'parts' tab. you should rename the one in the GMDC to match that in the SHPE: go to GMDC - 'groups' tab to do so.
Lab Assistant
#819 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 11:04 AM
Ok thanx for those I had no idea of the existence of a rename wizard I will check that out.

I actually use that kind of name for packages but this was like my 6th attempt and I was running out of combinations (I know I could repeat them as I has deleted the old packages, but thats just the way my brain works).

And as for the GMDC is just what linegud just did but I'll take a look at it anyway to never do that kind of mistake again.

So I have returned from trying my desk, It looks great (from my point of view)
the texture didn't ended up so bad, as I modified the original one almost nothing, and I made the upper part to short for the cheap TV and alienware Pc, I made the sizes at sight but is there some kind of lenght measure in Milkshape or other 3d program to make the measures accurately?.... I'm getting off-topic.

Thanx for the feeedback chrissy6930
Lab Assistant
#820 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 11:14 AM
upon creation of the clone after u pressed 'finish' a window pops up called 'scenegraph rename wizard'.

the top line should by default say something like
deskquaint-[chrissy6930-10.11.2005-cc19]

instead of leaving it as it is overwrite it with
'yournameornick.yournewmesh'

click 'update'
click 'ok'
Lab Assistant
#821 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 11:19 AM
aahhh you are 1 step ahead of me, I was looking for the wizard like crazy! (too much of paying attention to the tutorial...), well thanxs again and I expect that my next proyect, after I finish this of course, runs a lot smoother than this one hehe.
Instructor
#822 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 1:36 PM
Actually it would be safer if you didn't modify anything in the brackets. That will guarentee that your files will be unique, as that string is your username-date-uniqueid. If you change it just to yournameornick.yournewmesh, YOU are responsible for making sure the filename is unique instead of Simpe.

Sandollar - For the height, it is usually easiest to have the old (original mesh) and the new mesh in milkshape at the same time, and adjust the height of the new mesh to the old one. Then delete the old one once you have the dimensions correct.

The height were items will sit is controlled in the CRES. There will usually be one or more "slots". Their Z value is the height. Depending on how you export your file from SimPE will depend on how the Z value corresponds to the height in Milkshape. If you export using xzy then Z(insimpe) will be Y(in milkshape). If you export with xyz then Z(insimpe) will be Z (in milkshape) but your item will be laying down to work on. If you export using a scaling factor (Extra, Preferences, Scene Graph, Im/Export Scale) then the Z in SimPE would equal the height in milkshape divided by the Scaling Factor. So for instance I use a scaling factor of 100. So if my slot said 0.50 that would be 50 in Milkshape.

Eclectic Sims The place for your younger sims and unique animated items!
Charmed Sims Archives Gorgeous Clothing, Furnishings and more.
Two great sites ALL FREE NOW!!!
Test Subject
#823 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 1:39 PM
I have been trying to create a walllight..... but I´m struggeling. I have gone thrugh all "lamp posts" and I did get good pointers. But I stille can´t figure it out.
I cloned the simple bulp wall light..... but I can´t get the Bulp part to show up in game. I see the...hmm... what do you call it socket or base and it is lit in game.
In SimPE in prewiev the whole mesh shows up right. So far I figure it has something to do with borrowing the bulb texture from somewhere else but i´m not sure and don´t know how to fix the problem.... can anyone take a look or explain the specials about cloning wall lights?
I would be most happy if you could....
Part-time Hermit
#824 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 1:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by linegud
I have been trying to create a walllight..... but I´m struggeling. I have gone thrugh all "lamp posts" and I did get good pointers. But I stille can´t figure it out.
I cloned the simple bulp wall light..... but I can´t get the Bulp part to show up in game. I see the...hmm... what do you call it socket or base and it is lit in game.
In SimPE in prewiev the whole mesh shows up right. So far I figure it has something to do with borrowing the bulb texture from somewhere else but i´m not sure and don´t know how to fix the problem.... can anyone take a look or explain the specials about cloning wall lights?
I would be most happy if you could....

It's spelled "bulb", not "bulp", that's why it's not showing . The bulbs don't have a texture image, just a material definition, the same way like most glass in the game. Fixing the name should make it show.
Test Subject
#825 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 2:05 PM
Darn.... that again....the spelling I mean :smash:
I´t just dosen`t catch my eye when I think I got it right....

Ignorantbliss I am ever so sorry for the trouble....you are an angel.
On the bright side....With all that checking and poking I´m starting to feel quite at home in SimPE by now *SS*

Line
Locked thread | Locked by: Reason: Please refer to the ACTIVE THREAD (http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=82084). This is only an archive of old posts.
Page 33 of 52