Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#901 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 10:50 PM
This is new to me to. I just cheked my objects and all except for one have 0xb...thank god... But I cloned a painting(the brigde one) and my painting has 3 guids. The main guid have 0xc but the two others has 0xb. I´m guessing that it is the main guid that counts?? So in order to make it avalible for base game users I would have to change it to 0xb?

Line
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#902 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 12:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
Unfortunately, not everything is recolourable in our beloved game
One of the not-recolourable things are the fences (and the roofs, and the neighborhood objects...). The only way to recolour the fences is to create a "fake-recolour": you have to clone your first fence, but check the option "Reference Original Mesh". This way, you'll end with a clone that doesn't contain any GMDC: the mesh is taken from your first fence; you only have to change the texture (and optionally assign a unique GUID).

In the catalog, you'll find two different fences, with the same mesh but with different colours.

Please note that the "Reference Original Mesh" was created to work with Maxis fences; I'm quite sure that it works even with custom fences, but who knows? If it doesn't work, let me know.

PS: I suggest to remove from the fence the MMATs and the tsDesignMode blocks from the first fence.

you said that it is not possible to recolour hood objects but OoGaBbErZiCkEoO
at http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=103560 was able to "clone" and recolour a few hood objects. Would you mind explaining how this was done. I would like to "clone the farm lands and a few other objects to play with but for the life of me i do not know how with hood objects.

"It is better to die by the truth than to live by a lie."
The ModFather
retired moderator
#903 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 12:38 AM
Linegud - It's strange that you have both the 0x8b and the 0x8c codes in the same package... Anyway, as I've explained, you can try changing all the codes to 0x8b, but this doesn't ensure that the object actually works in the base game. Well, if it's a painting, I guess it will work anyway, but someone with no EPs has to test it, to be sure.

Lindaetterlee - Are you saying this to me? I have created the first new neighborhood objects! That user with an unwritable name has done exactly what I've said: he cloned a NH object, in order to create a new one. I was saying that the NH catalog doesn't support recolours (i.e., when you pick an object, you are never given the choice between alternative colours for it); therefore, you have to clone the object, but you keep the same mesh, so that it will look exactly as the original object, but with a different colour. This "recolour" is a fake recolour, though: it will be shown in the catalog as an autonomous object.

EDIT: *do not* clone the farm land: it isn't an "object", it's an "effect" (it hasn't a mesh).

To clone a NH object, you must activate the "Advanced Mode" in SimPE preferences.
Then start Object Workshop as usual: in the catalog you'll find all the NH objects (and the fences, the roofs...). Follow the on-screen instructions and clone it; then replace the mesh and the texture like a normal object.
NOTE: the custom NH object, by default, can be used only in EP games.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Part-time Hermit
#904 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 3:46 PM
Regarding the conversation about base-game compatible objects, I just found out that a desk I made is apparently not base-game compatible, but I have no idea why. I cloned it from a base game desk (Home Office Desk by Quaint Design), and the Object Data indicates it's a base-game object (0x8b), but when I test it with the base game only installed, it doesn't work. It shows up in the catalog, but it doesn't display the color options that should be there, and when I grab the desk off the catalog to place it on a lot, there is nothing, no desk. The desk works fine with all the EPs installed, and I can't find anything wrong with the package. If somebody could take a look at the attached file and help me figure out why it doesn't work in the base game, I'd be very grateful .

Edited to add: I just realised that even though the main Object Data said 0x8b, one of the other two was 0x8c, so I guess that explains it. I wonder if something was changed with all desks with one of the expansions, and I wonder which expansion it was? I guess checking the main Object Data is not enough, then.

(I removed the attached package)
Inventor
#905 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 11:49 PM
IgnorantBliss: That's really interesting to find out. I have a thread out there that asks how to know if an object is base game compat. Mind if I link to this post of yours of there? (I'm going to go ahead and do it and if you don't like it, I'll remove it)

This is something that I"ve wondered about a while.. and your post brings more questions to my mind about it.

I'm glad you mentioned it!
Thanks!
xts

edit: Ignorantbliss: Does each individual ep also have it's OWN code? Like the b being base game, c being university, etc.? Maybe that will tel you which ep it was?

(Quote) ~ "If it isn't one thing, it's going to be another. It is usually one thing. Oh man, is it a mother" (The Mother of All Things) - PB
The ModFather
retired moderator
#906 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 12:19 AM
XTS - No, both EPs have the 0x8c code. I don't understand why Maxis didn't used a different code, though... Probably, the new 0x8009 BHAV format (which is the major cause of downward incompatibility) isn't considered an "update" of the objects.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Inventor
#907 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 12:27 AM
Darn. I dont' know why they didn't either! It makes sense to give them individual codes, to keep it organized. I know very little about BHAV format so you lost me there.

Maybe there's a code "hidden" in one of the files? If I find out anything before you do from reading, I'll come back and post

Thanks for letting me know, my friend
xts

(Quote) ~ "If it isn't one thing, it's going to be another. It is usually one thing. Oh man, is it a mother" (The Mother of All Things) - PB
Part-time Hermit
#908 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 8:17 AM
I found one other object that had 0x8c in one of the non-main Object Datas, and it behaved just like the desks. It was the opening windows that Inge and I made, I found out that cloning the Function of Plate Glass window after installing Nightlife makes the clone require the EP for some reason. Not all windows were the same, though. Some remained base-game compatible even if you didn't uncheck the EPs from SimPE's file list.

Just editing the 0x8c to 0x8b seems to have made those objects base game compatible. That's the only kind of a fix I can do on the window on my own, since recloning would require Inge to completely redo the windows, I'm completely ignorant about the "hacked" opening part. Luckily, the simple fix appears to be enough. The desk seems to be working fine, as well.
Test Subject
#909 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 1:36 PM
Right ive made this object but i want the globe bit in the middle to be glass can some1 tell me how to do it?
and i want the rings to have different texture so how do i do that?
Ive attached the file so you can have a look at it!
Lab Assistant
#910 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 2:18 PM
how do i make an attatchment on a post. i uploaded my file, which was a package file, but it didnt appear in the post?
Lab Assistant
#911 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 2:29 PM
evo1800: u appear to have simply added another subset for the glass. to make it work u would have to add a bunch of additional files to your package. it would be much easier if u clone an item that already comes with 2 subsets + shadows if any.

as for the glass part once u have cloned an item that already comes with 2 subsets easiest way to get this done is to delete the respective TXTR and then edit the MATD in the following way:
delete the 'basetexture' props or disable them.
stdMatDiffCoef: enter the RGB code of the color of your choice with each parameter divided by 255.
stdMatUntexturedDiffAlpha: enter a value between 0 - completely transparent = invisible - and 1 - completely solid - with 2 decimals

in order to use a diff color on the ring u can split the texture for the sculpturechinavase_design subset into two and map your mesh accordingly.
Lab Assistant
#912 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 2:34 PM
bowbow2604: at the bottom click on 'go advanced'. once there scroll down and click on 'manage attachments'
Lab Assistant
#913 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 2:42 PM
but after upload the file, it doesn't appear in the post
Test Subject
#914 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 3:21 PM
Default Placement Problem
I'm working on a placemat mesh, and have run into a problem with placing more then one on a table. For some reason the game will only let me place one per table tile.

I've modified the BHAV so that the object is only placeable on tables, has zero weight, and allows people/objects intersections. Before I disabled the "place on floor" ability I was successfully able to place 4 of them on a floor tile, so it should be working fine at the table level as well, but it's not.

I'm beginning to suspect it might be a limitation of either the "allow with food" BHAV the original (frost de fleur vase) object had, or of the actual mount point on the table tile. I hope I'm wrong!

Other then that, I'm at a loss for why it's not working :shrug:
Test Subject
#915 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 3:25 PM
sorry i dont under stand?
Lab Assistant
#916 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 4:34 PM
Index out of range
me and my friend are making a pool table and when we tried to import it, a box came up saying that the index was out of range. How do i change that with wings?
Part-time Hermit
#917 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 4:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by evo1800
sorry i dont under stand?

Like said before, you have two alternatives ways of making your object. If you import another mesh into your package that originally only has one subset, you should follow this tutorial, because there is a lot more to it than just importing the mesh. The other option, like Chrissy said, is to clone a Maxis object that already comes with two subsets, and make one of them the glass part. In that case, you'll have to edit the material definition for the glass part to make it transparent (and also delete the texture that was linked to that subset in the package), and I think Numenor posted a link for you earlier to a topic that has more information on material definitions. Either way is fairly complicated if you're a beginner, although the last option is probably easier than the first one.
Lab Assistant
#918 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 4:56 PM
Folks,do you have a Sims 2 object that's flat broke,incompatible?Well,c'mon down to Bubba's Object Repair Center,located in the Mod the Sims 2 Plaza.We've got all kinds of ways to fix your objects,so don't despair!So,c'mon,let the friendly crew at Bubba's help you out.Bubba's.............where it's like having a weird scary uncle in the business........LOL

(Yes,I'm a smart-ass)
The ModFather
retired moderator
#919 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 6:29 PM
Very funny... if it isn't ironic! Is it?

Part-time Hermit
#920 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 8:48 PM
Getting back to the base compatible objects subject, I found out, upon further testing, that the windows couldn't be fixed with just changing the 0x8c to 0x8b: For some reason the diagonal wallmasks stopped working.

I wonder what it was about the Function of Plate Glass window that needed to be updated with Nightlife? Not all windows have been changed like that.

Edited to add: Never mind, the wallmask issue had nothing to do with base game compatibility
Field Researcher
#921 Old 20th Nov 2005 at 1:09 AM
Speaking of windows. My new windows work well on the square walls but when I place them on the diaglonal they revert to the Maxis window, mesh and texture,
except once it did take the new texture; I placed two windows at the same time, on a diagonal wall. Both had the Maxis mesh. One had my new texture and the other had the original texture. All the other windows I've placed so far, diagonally, have been the original color.
I there a discusion on this somewhere that I can't find? Can someone here just tell me the secret? And I wouldn't mind some help with the wall masks. All I know to do is experiment until they're right. As always thanks to all the experts for your help.
Inventor
#922 Old 20th Nov 2005 at 4:41 AM
Mage, will this help you, you think? it mentions diagonal walls and windows and such.. HOpe so.

xts
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...=diagonal+walls

Field Researcher
#923 Old 20th Nov 2005 at 5:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by XTS
Mage, will this help you, you think? it mentions diagonal walls and windows and such.. HOpe so.

xts
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...=diagonal+walls

Bingo. Thanks very much.
Inventor
#924 Old 20th Nov 2005 at 5:46 AM
You're welcome Mage. I get lucky and now and then I know something someone else needs to know.. Consider it rare though lol
Best of luck to ya!
xts

Field Researcher
#925 Old 20th Nov 2005 at 5:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by XTS
You're welcome Mage. I get lucky and now and then I know something someone else needs to know.. Consider it rare though lol
Best of luck to ya!
xts

It's even happened to me. But this time I got lucky that you got lucky. My poor brain has such a hard time struggling through these tutorials, but it feels so good when I finally get it right. I now have a window that goes straight and diagonal. Thanks again.
Locked thread | Locked by: Reason: Please refer to the ACTIVE THREAD (http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=82084). This is only an archive of old posts.
Page 37 of 52