Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#851 Old 22nd May 2018 at 4:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deshong
Funny, because I never gave my definition of what a hardcore Sims player is in this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deshong
That isn't the issue in of itself and they know it. It's great that in some form everyone can play but then the real issue pertains to it is at the expense of all hardcore gamers who were the very ones who helped get TS so successful in the first place.

Okay...

No, that's not my definition but rather a factual observation. Nowhere in this topic do I give my definition of a hardcore gamer. If that is what you call a definition then I am speechless as I have no other words for you.

For anyone curious about my definition of a what a Sims hardcore player to me is here you go.

A player that gets deeply involved in their gameplay in ways that makes the gaming experience extremely immersive. This can be many different avenues to many different gamers/Simmers. Some examples:
-Building
-Sim Creating
-World Creating
-Pattern Creating
-Intricate details of information about your Sims like keeping track of family generations and/or other information
-Avid user of CASt
-Setting up the neighborhood to your liking using Edit Town/Editing lots to your liking
-Deeply involved in gameplay itself and documenting every important detail about your Sims lives with a collection of screenshots, videos, etc
-Creating your own Sims to fill out an entire neighborhood
-Creating your own mods/cc
-Etc

How much work a player puts into their gameplay experience is playing at a hardcore level whereas the casual player will not delve so deep. My favorite analogy to describe it would be casual players swimming/snorkeling on the surface of the ocean while hardcore players scuba dive to find even more enriching experiences. That's the beauty, or it was, of The Sims. The player decides how invested they are according to their gaming preferences with the tools provided for all gameplay styles.

You know how some say the Sims dream, thought and speech bubbles mean nothing outside its original social interaction? Well, I want to try to decipher them to see if it is random or does it really mean something depending on the way it's used when not used in the original context. I can't understand spoken Simlish but what if I could read these interesting AI Sims in other ways and know what they are saying? So I created a word document of most, if not all, base game icons and their definitions of how I think Sims are using it. Clues being are they flirty, mean, friendly, etc at the given time. I have some too for EP's but unfortunately, a lot of those are missing so I have to describe the icon or take an in-game picture.

An example. Yoshi is at prom and sees a female in a red dress walking towards him. He notices her and then thinks about the sun with sunglasses. This icon is from base game and concerns the good trait (He does not have the good trait). Sims use it when brightening up someone's day or to convey something. My questions to myself... do Sims really see and do their icons mean something more than meets the eye?

And that's just one example. There's quite a bit I've picked up on. So to answer my own questions, yes, Sims really are aware of their surroundings and the open world is the most advanced significance of that feature and their icons do have meaning beyond its original social interaction.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#852 Old 22nd May 2018 at 11:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Deshong
No, that's not my definition but rather a factual observation. Nowhere in this topic do I give my definition of a hardcore gamer. If that is what you call a definition then I am speechless as I have no other words for you.

For anyone curious about my definition of a what a Sims hardcore player to me is here you go.

A player that gets deeply involved in their gameplay in ways that makes the gaming experience extremely immersive. This can be many different avenues to many different gamers/Simmers. Some examples:
-Building
-Sim Creating
-World Creating
-Pattern Creating
-Intricate details of information about your Sims like keeping track of family generations and/or other information
-Avid user of CASt
-Setting up the neighborhood to your liking using Edit Town/Editing lots to your liking
-Deeply involved in gameplay itself and documenting every important detail about your Sims lives with a collection of screenshots, videos, etc
-Creating your own Sims to fill out an entire neighborhood
-Creating your own mods/cc
-Etc

How much work a player puts into their gameplay experience is playing at a hardcore level whereas the casual player will not delve so deep. My favorite analogy to describe it would be casual players swimming/snorkeling on the surface of the ocean while hardcore players scuba dive to find even more enriching experiences. That's the beauty, or it was, of The Sims. The player decides how invested they are according to their gaming preferences with the tools provided for all gameplay styles.

You know how some say the Sims dream, thought and speech bubbles mean nothing outside its original social interaction? Well, I want to try to decipher them to see if it is random or does it really mean something depending on the way it's used when not used in the original context. I can't understand spoken Simlish but what if I could read these interesting AI Sims in other ways and know what they are saying? So I created a word document of most, if not all, base game icons and their definitions of how I think Sims are using it. Clues being are they flirty, mean, friendly, etc at the given time. I have some too for EP's but unfortunately, a lot of those are missing so I have to describe the icon or take an in-game picture.

An example. Yoshi is at prom and sees a female in a red dress walking towards him. He notices her and then thinks about the sun with sunglasses. This icon is from base game and concerns the good trait (He does not have the good trait). Sims use it when brightening up someone's day or to convey something. My questions to myself... do Sims really see and do their icons mean something more than meets the eye?

And that's just one example. There's quite a bit I've picked up on. So to answer my own questions, yes, Sims really are aware of their surroundings and the open world is the most advanced significance of that feature and their icons do have meaning beyond its original social interaction.

Please explain how a hardcore gamer made the Sims any better then a casual gamer, I might be a casual gamer but that doesn't mean I spent any less money or any less time playing than a hardcore gamer, I care about the game as much as you might and I have been playing since Sims 1 came out so don't sell us Casual gamers short we care as much as you do. :D
Mad Poster
#853 Old 22nd May 2018 at 11:53 PM
I would say that one defining element of the hardcore fan is that they're willing to modify their game, and to also create mods and custom content- which shows a an emotional investment in the game and a willingness to spend significant time changing the game to best fit their preferences. A hardcore gamer also knows the mechanics of the game inside out, and knowledge of how to use the more advanced game mechanics (i.e. testingcheats, [, ], constrainfloorelevation) to get what they want.

A casual gamer might simply accept the game as-is from the publishers- and do some rudimentary dabbling in the game mechanics (i.e. kaching, moveobjects).
Lab Assistant
#854 Old 23rd May 2018 at 1:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bur1440
Please explain how a hardcore gamer made the Sims any better then a casual gamer, I might be a casual gamer but that doesn't mean I spent any less money or any less time playing than a hardcore gamer, I care about the game as much as you might and I have been playing since Sims 1 came out so don't sell us Casual gamers short we care as much as you do. :D

Better word of mouth. If you are making web sites, content, guides and so on you are going to make the game look worth the money. When the Sims first started it was a huge word of mouth hit. Even game rags picked up on it and wrote about the fan base for the Sims. Its not a matter of being better then the casual gamer, they just netted the company more money due to folks checking out the game. Some are bitter, feeling that they backed a game even with bugs and when the company said that they wanted a new player base. It stung the pride of some. Like the old wife who worked and help Hubby climb high and then is dumped for the younger model. I am not even sure if hardcore is the right term. PC gamers are not happy with being dumped for a silly phone game. For some of us the Sims 4 was a first step to that end.
Instructor
#855 Old 23rd May 2018 at 4:10 AM
I'm not surprised by this post... Just surprised at the replies... Maybe I just cant take a joke? Or maybe these people are too dense to see the bratty tone in his post. Idk but to me this right here is why the sims 4 is the way it is...

Quote:
Just spilled my entire coffee on the floor while someone was trying to convince me to make a pack I don't want to make at my desk. So now I'm really angry, really frustrated, and I'm going to go sob somewhere.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SimGuruG...950654855954434
Mad Poster
#856 Old 23rd May 2018 at 4:51 AM
He must be fun to work with.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#857 Old 23rd May 2018 at 6:58 AM
If it's a pack he doesn't wanna do, you know it's a good one.

The Receptacle still lives!
Mad Poster
#858 Old 23rd May 2018 at 7:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mspigglypooh
I'm not surprised by this post... Just surprised at the replies... Maybe I just cant take a joke? Or maybe these people are too dense to see the bratty tone in his post. Idk but to me this right here is why the sims 4 is the way it is...

In his place, I would ask what the fans think just to know maybe I am wrong and that working on it may have brought a potential to better the game that brings something engaging to the gameplay table. Distinguishable difference between a closed-minded guru and a passion one. If I had a twitter account, I would leave a comment "You sure didn't bother to ask us without having an open mind that We would like that had a potential, but you missed on it by not inquiring for our thoughts. That "love" for the game didn't really spill together with your morning beverage "

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Instructor
#859 Old 23rd May 2018 at 8:08 AM Last edited by Mspigglypooh : 23rd May 2018 at 5:40 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
In his place, I would ask what the fans think just to know maybe I am wrong and that working on it may have brought a potential to better the game that brings something engaging to the gameplay table. Distinguishable difference between a closed-minded guru and a passion one. If I had a twitter account, I would leave a comment "You sure didn't bother to ask us without having an open mind that We would like that had a potential, but you missed on it by not inquiring for our thoughts. That "love" for the game didn't really spill together with your morning beverage "

As much as I want to say something I know I'm just going to get some snarky remark back. In truth it just shows that he never cared about what fans wanted or like in the game. This is their (his) game. I would mainly say his because he's not only not listening to what we would like in the game but shooting down his own fellow employees ideas as well. It seems like it's whatever Grant wants Grant approves to go into the game. It's a pity but it's like right in our faces and raw... And all those who have commented don't seem to see an issue they actually approve of this behavior.
Scholar
#861 Old 23rd May 2018 at 12:39 PM
Poor rodiek. Poor expensive coffee I'm sure an EA suit like him could afford.
*gags*

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Instructor
#862 Old 23rd May 2018 at 1:13 PM
Grant should just have been grateful that he didn't spill his coffee over his keyboard or laptop. I get the feeling that he has been ordered to go back on Twitter by his bosses and has reluctantly agreed. I'm wondering who had the Pack idea he didn't like, Graham maybe? I wonder who had the courage to ask him anyway.
Scholar
#863 Old 23rd May 2018 at 2:03 PM

Why does he sound like a child, and not the employee of a multi million dollar company? It doesn't seem like sarcasm either, but then sarcasm on the internet requires actual skill.

So be it. Move. ~Jason Bourne
Simblr
Mad Poster
#864 Old 23rd May 2018 at 3:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Apsalar
Why does he sound like a child, and not the employee of a multi million dollar company? It doesn't seem like sarcasm either, but then sarcasm on the internet requires actual skill.

Rhetorical or not, but...
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
Grant is living up to his given nickname, Man-Child. He is in his mid-30's and apparently has temper tantrums because somebody was trying to convince him of something that he didn't want to do.

Forum Resident
#865 Old 23rd May 2018 at 5:22 PM
Something else I find weird and can't exactly pinpoint why is that he goes into private messages on Twitter with fans to discuss ideas. Am I weird/old for finding this weird? For me it feels like it oversteps some kind of professional line. It's also weird that he discusses that in private messages instead of in public, on the forum, where multiple people can share their ideas and have a discussion. Why would you discuss wheelchairs and how they should be implemented with only one Simmer? (recent example because it just happened but I remember seeing two or three other topics in the last week where he privately talked to other people).

Btw, new poll is about which bigger pack we would like to see. Everyone, get ready for The Sims - Hunger Games because of course that would be a perfect addition for the always happy, always sunny and never serious TS4
Theorist
#866 Old 23rd May 2018 at 5:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hiabara
Something else I find weird and can't exactly pinpoint why is that he goes into private messages on Twitter with fans to discuss ideas. Am I weird/old for finding this weird? For me it feels like it oversteps some kind of professional line. It's also weird that he discusses that in private messages instead of in public, on the forum, where multiple people can share their ideas and have a discussion. Why would you discuss wheelchairs and how they should be implemented with only one Simmer? (recent example because it just happened but I remember seeing two or three other topics in the last week where he privately talked to other people).

It was actually incredibly kind and thoughtful - and clearly meant a lot to Tae - so I hope you're the only one to find something negative in this. Opening up questions to everyone is only helpful if you're looking from input from everyone.
Instructor
#867 Old 23rd May 2018 at 5:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Honeywell
It was actually incredibly kind and thoughtful - and clearly meant a lot to Tae - so I hope you're the only one to find something negative in this. Opening up questions to everyone is only helpful if you're looking from input from everyone.

To be honest I found it odd too. I'm sure Tae is not the only person asking about Wheelchairs. I've heard plenty of simmers ask about it in the OF as well as Facebook's official sims group/page. And I don't believe the person saying such was trying to be negative. Maybe you're looking too much into it? I too found it odd that he would sent DM to people about topics a lot of other simmers have asked about.

Let me also add: this is a game that is supposed to be for everyone not just an individual. Just because this simmer may want something implemented one way doesn't mean another person who asks about the same idea wants it implemented the say way. This is why I found it odd he would DM simmers individually instead of openly discussing it with those who want the same idea.
Theorist
#868 Old 23rd May 2018 at 6:00 PM
Not finding anything weird about a simple conversation/exchange of ideas is not looking too much into it. Just the opposite, actually. Those exchanges are not odd and they're not weird.
Instructor
#869 Old 23rd May 2018 at 6:13 PM
Not finding anything weird about a simple conversation/exchange of ideas is not looking too much into it. Just the opposite, actually. Those exchanges are not odd and they're not weird.

Okay and that's YOUR opinion. Which you are free to have. And people who DO find it weird or odd are not trying to be negative. We are just seeing it from a different perspective is all. But at the end of the day we are free to have our opinions as well
Theorist
#870 Old 23rd May 2018 at 6:31 PM
Okay and that's YOUR opinion. Which you are free to have. And people who DO find it weird or odd are not trying to be negative. We are just seeing it from a different perspective is all. But at the end of the day we are free to have our opinions as well

Of course. But some opinions and perspectives are more apt to be rooted in reality than others.
Forum Resident
#871 Old 23rd May 2018 at 6:41 PM
Thanks for the replies As I said - I can't really pinpoint why I find it weird. Maybe because it feels like some random Simmers have more influence than others? I honestly don't know. It just leaves a slightly weird taste in my mouth.
But it's really interesting to read some other opinions here. As much as I dislike Grant - This wasn't meant as an attack. I'm just wondering if this is normal/typical.

edit: Seems like me might get a video tomorrow https://twitter.com/TheSims/status/999334376247717888
Instructor
#872 Old 23rd May 2018 at 6:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hiabara
Thanks for the replies As I said - I can't really pinpoint why I find it weird. Maybe because it feels like some random Simmers have more influence than others? I honestly don't know. It just leaves a slightly weird taste in my mouth.
But it's really interesting to read some other opinions here. As much as I dislike Grant - This wasn't meant as an attack. I'm just wondering if this is normal/typical.

edit: Seems like me might get a video tomorrow https://twitter.com/TheSims/status/999334376247717888

You shouldn't feel the need to have to explain yourself to anyone. What you said should not have been taken as being negative because it was not you simple saw it in a different perspective. You did nothing to insult anyone or attack anyone. Just because you questioned something or found it odd doesn't mean you were attacking anyone. You gave an example. That is all
Top Secret Researcher
#873 Old 23rd May 2018 at 6:57 PM
What I see in that tweet video is:

-Brown leaves
-Scarecrow (that was part of sims 2 seasons)
-Winterwear on that sim

EDIT: I also really think that it's odd that a game feature that multiple simmers want is discussed privately with one simmer. Sure, it probably made them really happy, but it would have been the same effect if they were open to everyone and practiced completely open conversation and realation to whole of the community. This does feel odd, since it's not a common practice from devs in game industry.
Field Researcher
#874 Old 23rd May 2018 at 7:00 PM
There’s something hyper going on on Twitter (polls, polls and polls - asking stuff that should have been taken care of from the get go but ok), Grant suddenly very communicative and joking and not blocking anyone, talking about the future, “years out”. And answering someone commenting on that: “Well, we're only four expansions in...” (yes, we know, and four years)

If I may share what I feel in my bones: a decision has been made and it doesn’t involve any successor, never, just lots and lots of stuff for Sims 4. Just like the guru on Reddit predicted. And it will be EP’s I think, Grant being the main man. I do prefer EP’s over everything in this franchise, but not the Sims 4 versions of EP’s. There is this slight possibity Graham will join in on the EP’s (he’s constantly ping ponging on Twitter with Grant) which might make things a bit brighter.

Grant is a happy man, that much is clear.
Mad Poster
#875 Old 23rd May 2018 at 7:24 PM

With a developer initiating a discussion over an idea with, mind you, one person, opposed to just inviting a high mind of over at least more than a hundred or thousand of people (or how many there are players; probably more than I counted) people for hearing a compromised consensus of how the thing should be implemented? I mean, I wouldn't call it the most efficient and affective way of inquiring feedback, because.... surely you can't done it right and believe that one person represents out of all thousands/millions of other people's thoughts on what they think would make a feature a well and approved execution. * I know this isn't english, but my pThough I probably know why Grant inquire to start a DM rather with a bigger group: maybe he's a bit terrified and a coward to involuntary start a flamebait because we all know how these handicapped topics of suggestions tend to turn out to be very oversensitive and controversy, and often than never they get to be hindered butchered as many do take it down with good arguments.

Page 35 of 39