Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 10:43 AM
Default The Sims 5 is looking like it will be multiplayer, I hope it won't be because how The Sims 4 turned out to be. What about you?
here's my half coherent rant on it:

I've recently been playing older sims games and it was hard for me to realize just how many things we lost with The Sims 4, that had been there even a decade ago (for one thing, The Sims 2 had sim consistency. If a sim appeared on a different lot and bought something for example, you'll see evidence of it in their inventories when you switch families. If a sim died, his friends and family knew and got a memory of them dying even if they lived on a different lot, while in The Sims 4 if a sim is in a different room it can easily be unaffected by death).

And why did The Sims 4 get made on such an odd engine choice? Multiplayer. And here we are talking about getting elements from The Sims Online again... I don't believe that The Sims team can make an engaging singleplayer game, if they will use resources and will focus on multiplayer. It would be heartbreaking for me to have yet another disappointing member of the series.
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 11:25 AM
A discussion about this has been buried in that huge long thread somewhere, http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...&page=127&pp=25 But maybe your idea of starting a new thread is better.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Scholar
#3 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 12:51 PM
Until there is an official announcement, I wouldn't worry about it. And if it's multiplayer, no worries as long as there is a single player option also. But if it's multiplayer only I won't buy it.
#4 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 1:24 PM
I prefer not having a compromise. Either make it a good solid offline game or a good solid online game. That's what went wrong with TS4 - it couldn't make up its mind until about a year before its release.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 2:14 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 13th Feb 2020 at 5:40 PM.
Always loved watching your videos ever since your interactive loading screens (<== haha at that) let's plays. As much as I'm open to an idea of an optional/standalone multiplayer game, I do have scepticism and doubts of EA doing the right way, know what I mean? Even playing FreeSo I felt like there's a lot of room for conceptual design improvement.

Now on the matter of TS4, if the game wasn't titled/marketed as a sequal and EA continue with their cancelled vision of making an online game, that might have been a better direction overall (well, probably would be no different since the same management and direction theme from TS4 would be involved, but AT LEAST it be a rebirth of The Sims Online modern reboot supplying the demography that screams for this type of sims game).

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 2:42 PM
I'm not open to anything if a company hasn't proven that can successfully handle several other larger features.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 5:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
Until there is an official announcement, I wouldn't worry about it. And if it's multiplayer, no worries as long as there is a single player option also. But if it's multiplayer only I won't buy it.

But if it's multiplayer only I won't buy it. I'm not buying it either, and maybe not even if multiplayer with a single player option. I don't need friends asking me if I'll play multiplayer with them. No way.

Sims are better than us.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 5:16 PM Last edited by grindingteeth : 13th Feb 2020 at 11:21 PM.
The Sims is not something I want to play with other people. I do not want any online-only version of The Sims to be a direct sequel to any entry in the main Sims franchise, which has always been single-player.
They can make an indirect sequel - Call it The Sims Online 2, Bustin' Out 2 or whatever until they get their shit together enough to make a solid, quality TS5.
Theorist
#9 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 6:06 PM
Only if there's an option to tell other people that "I don't like to buy soap"

Jokes aside, I'm not buying a Sims online game. I already don't play MMO rpgs, and with Sims I'd hate it even more to have other people run around my world and possibly muck it up, trying to interact with me or generally just having to look at their Sims (which might not look the way I like my Sims to look, especially considering how a lot of Sims on Tumblr look these days....*shudder*...)
I don't see anything that would be gained from shoving online play into Sims. If I wanna show a friend a house in Sims, i just share my screen on Discord... And from what I've seen of Sims Online it was pretty much just skilling and parties "wooo"

Then again, after Sims 4 (and really, after Sims 3) the chances of me buying Sims 5 are slim anyway (I'd love it to be different, I want to love this series again, but well...)

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
#10 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 6:23 PM
The pizza challenge and the robot factory were brilliant though!

Field Researcher
#11 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 6:25 PM
Sims is a single player game. I don't want to play with other people. I want to play how I want. Sims should be a sandbox game not a game of loot boxs and playing the EA way. If it's multiplayer count me OUT.
Instructor
#12 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 7:03 PM
Sims 5 being multiplayer would be a giant testament to the fact that they haven't learned shit.
Test Subject
#13 Old 14th Feb 2020 at 4:12 AM
EA desperately wants to make a Sims MMO because of the massive profit potential that can be made from an online multiplayer game.

Simply put, they can make 10x the amount of sales (and thus profits) selling single objects in-game. Right now, EA is limited to the amount of revenue they can make depending on how many stuff packs, expansions, etc they create for the game. MMO's have you buying individual items directly in-game, selling each individual item anywhere from $0.50 on up to $5.00 per item (depending on what type of item it is).

Think about that for a minute....

Let's say the current average stuff pack has 30 items in it and that stuff pack sells for $10. That's roughly $.30 per item. But if they can sell those individual items at $0.50 or $1.00 or $3.00 each (depending on what kind of item it is), EA stands to make a ton of money for a lot less effort on their part. It's a well known fact that MMO's make a ridiculous amount of money selling in-game items to players. People hesitate to spend $40 for an expansion pack because it's a lot of money to fork out in one shot, but they don't think twice to spend a dollar here and dollar there on a regular basis (which ultimately adds up and easily surpasses that $40 quickly)... not to mention the ease and convenience of buying stuff in-game as you're playing. Simply put: MMO's nickel and dime players' wallets, one day at a time.

EA might also choose to push for a small monthly fee to gain access to various different on-line servers that aren't available to freebie on-line players... basically like a "tiered member" type of setup for players (ie: silver member, gold member, platinum member). Drawing in even more revenues from those who want to play in a whole bunch of different worlds rather than being limited to just a handful of worlds that might be included with the original base game purchase.

The various ways to make money with MMO's is endless. So it's not surprising one bit that EA would be itching to get in on the MMO money-making scheme.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 14th Feb 2020 at 7:37 AM
If multi-player, count me out. But as said until there is something official I am not losing sleep over this.
#15 Old 14th Feb 2020 at 9:51 AM
Just out of interest, how many people here objecting to a sims game being online actually played TSO as opposed to just reading about it?

Alchemist
#16 Old 14th Feb 2020 at 10:29 AM
I love online games, have multiple friends who plays The Sims and it would be a dream come true to share a game with them, explore and go on adventures

what does his name even mean?
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 14th Feb 2020 at 11:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Just out of interest, how many people here objecting to a sims game being online actually played TSO as opposed to just reading about it?

I tried playing The Sims Social on Facebook, and stopped immediately after building a relationship with one of my friend's sim. I mean, we're like friends only on Facebook and nothing more closer so I kind of felt awkward when that happened, then started realizing online games are not really my thing..

Looking for something converted to TS3? Visit Xto3 Conversions Finds for all your xto3 needs.
Main simblr: aisquaredchoco ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
My downloaded cc: ts3ccreblogsbyaisquared
Buy-build defaults database
#18 Old 14th Feb 2020 at 12:01 PM
But the Sims Social was nothing like The Sims Online. TSO was realtime, all the other sims you could see were being operated by other players in realtime. It was as if in The Sims 4 the NPCs around you had real human intelligence instead of their illogical and self-defeating AI. Some of us had real roles like healers, skill trainers, or business owners that we had worked for and earned the reputation over time. The Sims Social was really single-player - you could see representations of other people's sims, but the other player even if they happened to be online at the same time couldn't see their sim interacting with yours., and had no hand in what they did. They acted as dumb NPCs that were all the same as each other in their reactions.

Instructor
#19 Old 14th Feb 2020 at 12:31 PM
I don't think I'll even be starting again on a new Sims but would be interested in watching what becomes of it. It'll probably be both single and multiplayer I expect with a choice. EA/Maxis get vociferous support for multiplayer on Twitter etc., so the latest and newer generations might be happier with it. The policing of it might be expensive though so they might have to lose their Teen rating.
#20 Old 14th Feb 2020 at 12:49 PM
The way the Sims Online stopped things getting too out of hand was a) unlike SecondLife you couldn't just make your sim do any sort of crude thing - you only had the normal Sims 1 interaction menu to choose from. So no overt sex. There was ingame chat using chatbubbles in character, which wasn't censored at source, but there was a good reporting system for people who were being offensive. I can't remember if there was an age limit.

#21 Old 14th Feb 2020 at 12:50 PM
Oh I think some words might have been asterisked out.

Mad Poster
#22 Old 14th Feb 2020 at 4:40 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 14th Feb 2020 at 4:52 PM.
Personally, I'm not interested in multiplayer. I guess it depends a little bit on how they did the multiplayer bit, but would not consider getting the game if it didn't also offer an offline single player mode. If the gameplay experience somehow depended on the multiplayer mode, I would not be interested.

Games where you are dependant on other people doing their part (from across wherever they are on the planet) have a tendency to get tedious if not handled properly. If there's a large enough player base it can work, but if it's you and a few others where they play maybe once a month, and there's no progress, then multiplayer can be a big hindrance.

A while back I tried out a Sims Social game that was on Facebook (not entirely sure if it's the same? But it was dependent on having multiple players helping each other unless you wanted to do micro transactions), but only two friends played it. After a while they stopped playing, and there was no progress without doing a ton of micro transactions (which I didn't want to do), so I quit it too.

Multiplayer through a server with multiple people, or by playing with a friend or a group of people either in the same room or via some other form of multiplayer mode can probably work a lot better. May depend on the community base surrounding the game.
Scholar
#23 Old 14th Feb 2020 at 5:22 PM
You know personally I wouldn't mind online play, but not for the bulk of my game. I rather it be some sort special lot you can visit that is only available online, or frack a world that you can only visit online. Personally I don't know how how or if that would work but it would be better then the main game being tethered OL.

Somethings I have concerns about the main game being online. 1. How will effect cheating, mods, and custom content. Those three things are big to sims and I doubt EA could make a game amusing enough that those things would not be needed. 2. Could EA actually make an online game with the bugs they are known for? and 3. How much is this a scheme for EA to eek out more money out of Sim players?
?

Disclaimer: I am just being a goof ball, please ignore me if offended.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 14th Feb 2020 at 5:32 PM
If EAxis wants to take the series online, again, just create a Sims Online 2 and leave the main entries SP.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

#25 Old 14th Feb 2020 at 5:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DrowningFishy
You know personally I wouldn't mind online play, but not for the bulk of my game. I rather it be some sort special lot you can visit that is only available online, or frack a world that you can only visit online. Personally I don't know how how or if that would work but it would be better then the main game being tethered OL.

?

I could live with that, especially if the public lots were on a general server where a large range of visitors came and you could meet new friends. Perhaps there could be several different types, ones for skilling as well as just social like pubs. If they needed to put a cap on how many could be in one lot at once, that's ok you just go to another less busy lot at the time. And perhaps *also* we could open private community lots where it was invite only

Page 1 of 5