Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Apr 2006 at 12:29 AM
Default A medieval Virtual Village type game
I'm currently working on a game engine (and game) so that I can try out some ideas about improving artificial intelligence

The basic idea of my game is that it is a simulation of a medieval (or from at least a couple of hundred years ago) village. Your character (and maybe his/her) family arrives in the village and you must make a life for them. Find somewhere to stay in the short time and maybe build their own house in the longer term, and find a job, meet people etc. I don't intend for it just to be a people simulator in "the sims" way, as I do hope to include maybe some rpg features (other than combat and killing monsters) and to try out various other things.

While the game (and game engine) is in a very early stage of development, I'm making this post for a couple of reasons. One to get some feedback of if people think that they might enjoy such a game, to get some ideas of what people think could be included in it. And also as I'm no good at 3d modelling, if anyone has any meshes they have made that they think would fit in with such a setting and would allow me to use them, then please let me know (please no modified maxis meshes or anything).

The game will be moddable in a similar way to the sims is...people will be able to make their own objects and use them in the game, and objects include the behaviors and animations as part of them.

As I said, there is still a long way to go before it is anywhere near finished but if there are enough people who would be interested in helping then I should be able to release a early version in a few weeks so that people can start adding objects to it themselves.

While I think that in time that I can improve on the A.I. (my work is A.I. releated just not games related) that is found in most games, I don't want to give the impression that I think that I will make some revolutionary A.I., as that is one thing I hate about the game industry at the moment...hyping A.I. up so much and then it turns out to be a really poor implemented production system (I'm thinking of Oblivion here).

A couple of very early screenshot: [Please note that as I said, I'm no good at making 3d meshes so at the moment I am using free models from places like turbosquid, so this effects the quality of the graphics. With better models the graphics will look much better.]

Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 15th Apr 2006 at 2:46 AM
I'd be interested in something like that, because that's the type of games I like to play; I have a god complex, or something. :P

Suggestions:
Don't forget rasing/taking care of animals somehow.
And, if it applys, try to make it historically accurate.

I'm not a modder, but I would love to help out if I can, via testing as that's about all I can offer besides suggestions. I look forward to seeing what you can do.

Click HERE please, so I can up the sweet sweet page count. Thanks!

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Apr 2006 at 3:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CeJaye
I'd be interested in something like that, because that's the type of games I like to play; I have a god complex, or something. :P

Suggestions:
Don't forget rasing/taking care of animals somehow.
And, if it applys, try to make it historically accurate.

I'm not a modder, but I would love to help out if I can, via testing as that's about all I can offer besides suggestions. I look forward to seeing what you can do.

Thanks for the suggestions, I do plan to include animals. In the current versions, I have a small farm with a few animals that need to be taken care of. Just lacking decent models and animations for those animals.

As for making it historically accurate, that isn't really my aim, I want to be able to include different things into it. Say to include magic if I (or someone else) wants to and the ability to make potions, etc.
Fluffy
retired moderator
#4 Old 16th Apr 2006 at 4:36 PM
Miche,
that looks very nifty
I'm not sure what sort of meshes you're looking for, but I'd happily supply some
there's a bunch of my medieval stuff on mts2
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Apr 2006 at 4:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lethe_s
Miche,
that looks very nifty
I'm not sure what sort of meshes you're looking for, but I'd happily supply some
there's a bunch of my medieval stuff on mts2

Thanks, any meshes that you have made, that could fit would be a great help.
The world/village is pretty empty at the moment.

I'm particularly looking for black smith things, like a anvil and forge etc.

Edit:

I've looked at your things in Mts2, and you have some great things on there, what would be very useful. Is it okay if I use some of them and include them with the game when I release it? (just confirming that I do intend for the game to be completely free.)

Thanks again.
#6 Old 17th Apr 2006 at 8:27 AM
I'm with you.
Animals sound great, what kinda animals do we need?
Pigs?
Chics?
Lions and Tigar and Bears oh my? hehe
Inventor
#7 Old 17th Apr 2006 at 3:25 PM
I could make a few meshes, only problem is that I use Wings 3D, and I'm not sure if that supports skeletons and bones, and I'm not sure if you need skeleton/bone support.
Fluffy
retired moderator
#8 Old 18th Apr 2006 at 4:40 PM
miche,

like I said, you're welcome to them (though I like a bit of credit)
if there's something you desperately need, feel free to pm me on mts
Inventor
#9 Old 18th Apr 2006 at 9:53 PM
Just wondering, is the game called Afelhem??
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#10 Old 18th Apr 2006 at 10:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lethe_s
miche,

like I said, you're welcome to them (though I like a bit of credit)
if there's something you desperately need, feel free to pm me on mts

Thanks, of course I'll give you and everyone else who helps credit.

mod_bv,

No, it doesn't have a name yet. I haven't even thought that far ahead.

I just did a quick search on google for afelhem and the first result is some MMORPG . That is nothing to do with me, and my game( or game engine, as I'm trying to make it a reusable and moddable as possible) will not be a MMORPG.

As for meshes needing to have skeletons and bones, yes they do if they are to be animated but non-animated objects don't so things like chairs and tables, etc don't. Any meshes you can make will be a great help.

I'm progressing with the programming but now am getting to the point where a lack of meshes and animations in holding me back. I also need to try to find (or find someone who can make) a few characters and their animations.
#11 Old 21st Apr 2006 at 2:37 AM
Why not try to contact a mesher from MTS2?