Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#51 Old 2nd May 2009 at 4:38 PM
Mimi, I have no intention of putting more than one ad on a page - and you'll notice that the ads are *only* on the front page and the download pages, nowhere else. I hate ad laden sites as much as the next person, and keep a close eye on the finances and traffic figures to make sure that everything balances out, so don't worry - we definately wont turn into a TSR.

The blog view is actually going back to more how we had the very *first* MTS2 page, which is, I think, fitting, since the Sims 3 is to be released soon.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 2nd May 2009 at 4:58 PM
wooot! *runs downstairs to take cookies out of the oven* great job you guys and laydees, I love it! It's nice when site people change something and make it BETTER ahem, facebook. Anyhoo, I think it's great, it'll take a bit of getting used to, with the ads on the right, but it looks great! Keep up the good work!
Test Subject
#53 Old 2nd May 2009 at 5:35 PM
I can remember at least 3 changes. If it's one per year, that's constant. Anyway, that's beside the point. If you were expecting everyone to love your new layout, sorry to disappoint you. I know the implications that go into running a website and keeping it interesting and up to date for the visitors, so I repeat that I do appreciate your efforts and the time you put into your changes. I'm just gonna go back to lurking about the website and enjoying the downloads.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#54 Old 2nd May 2009 at 8:38 PM
LilyBeth, on a site this large I have absolutely no illusions that everybody would like what I do. I appreciate the comments I just wish people would read the whys and try and understand it first.

I disagree with you that "Once per year" is constant though - this site has been going for 5 years now and obviously we've had to change and revamp things as the years have gone by. This is one of those times, and I don't imagine changing the front page for another year at least.

Scholar
#55 Old 3rd May 2009 at 7:27 PM
The blue headlines are looking great, less confusing now.
I start to like this new front page!
Not actually evil.
#56 Old 3rd May 2009 at 10:42 PM
Noticed the new Social menu. Nice, useful change, that, so thanks.

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Field Researcher
#57 Old 4th May 2009 at 10:02 AM
wow this is cool!!!

I am MOHAAPlayer on Discord
Test Subject
#58 Old 4th May 2009 at 11:51 PM
What PrincessD said. Having to constantly re-allow the IP for the navbar is really annoying. Why not just code the navbar instead of using JavaScript? Or include a separate search box?
Test Subject
#59 Old 5th May 2009 at 6:43 PM
can you go in the van
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#60 Old 5th May 2009 at 7:32 PM
trr - What are you using that you have to re-allow it all the time? I use NoScript for Firefox and have only had to allow it once and then never again.

jameslansley - Only if you have free candy and puppies.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#61 Old 5th May 2009 at 7:36 PM
trr: Not a site problem if your browser keeps blocking the javascripts. You should allow scripts from *.modthesims2.com and 72.233.110.162.

Oh and I suggest you go learn something about how to code stuff online - you'll find that pretty much all of the stuff nowadays is done via javascript.

I didn't include a seperate search box becuase there is already 4 in the navbar - which is also on every single page on the site.

Space Pony
#62 Old 5th May 2009 at 10:17 PM
Wow, the very-slightly-upgraded version of the new look is somehow amazingly different In a good way. I don't know exactly what's different, besides the tiny bit of extra blue, but I'm changing my bookmark back!

One thing though: the featured items only cycles between two sets of four each time, so it essentially shows eight; is that what was intended, or was it meant to cycle through more of them?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#63 Old 6th May 2009 at 10:32 AM
Tymaporer, It's not 8 featured items. It's 4 *random* featured items (as on the old front page) and the latest 4 "top" items (again, as on the old front page) - they've just been condensed to the one content slider instead of being 2 seperate boxes as before.

Field Researcher
#64 Old 6th May 2009 at 12:07 PM
Ooo, shiny. I like the whatsis--blog view. The Featured Items turning up on the page now...IIRC, before there were only pics of Featured items? And now we get a little description so we have a better idea what the items are, right there on the front page. Very cool. Also, the blog view also draws me to read things that I might have skipped before, since they're right out front in full and require no clicking through to other pages.

It also looks less cleaner and less cluttered altogether. Very nice look.
Space Pony
#65 Old 6th May 2009 at 12:41 PM
Ohh...I see. XD Sorry, I'm still an idiot.
Field Researcher
#66 Old 7th May 2009 at 3:08 PM
Not sure if this is related to the new front page or not but, I was just in Numenor's CEP thread, reading the last page of comments when a box suddenly appeared in the middle of my screen. It was from some survey site. Is this something new you've added recently?

Not having a sig IS my sig. Oh wait, this is a sig, isn't it? Nevermind...
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#67 Old 7th May 2009 at 4:32 PM
Mimi: Absolutely nothing to do with anything I've added lately.

Field Researcher
#68 Old 7th May 2009 at 5:51 PM
OK, thanks Delphy. I guess I need to tighten up my popup blocker then, as it's turned on but on medium setting. I just thought it strange because I don't remember ever getting a survey popup on the download threads before. I have recently installed IE 8 & maybe I haven't yet gotten all my settings down pat. I'm also still trying to get used to VISTA Business 64bit after so many years with XP Home 32bit.

Edit: Just wanted to add that the new front page is growing on me, hehe. :D

Lab Assistant
#69 Old 7th May 2009 at 6:52 PM
I know my comment doesn't matter, because it won't make a difference at all. So I am not sure why we're allowed to post when it doesn't matter. It's not changing back, and I don't think you are concerned with what the member's have to say. (It seems like it's your way or none just because you own the site. But your site wouldn't be as popular as it is if it wasn't for the members).

Anyway, I don't like it. I think it looks sloppy. There is too much text on the front page and too much going on. I really liked the old one better. There's just something about it that is not quite as welcoming as the other page. It seems like there are many others who feel the same.

It will take some time to get used to it. I am sure after a while we'll all like it.
Field Researcher
#70 Old 8th May 2009 at 4:02 PM
Asherbelle:

Welcome to MTS. As you're new here, you may not be aware that indeed, our comments do matter. As you pointed out, this thread was left open for us to post to...that says, (to me anyways), that the powers-that-be WANT to hear from us, the users of their site. Just because it may be said that they won't change it back to the "old way" doesn't mean our opinions don't matter. That being said, there is also NO WAY to please everyone either.

Of course, as we all have, you have your own opinion, and as this thread was left open for comments, you can voice yours just like everyone else. It's just that for someone so new to the site, you sure seem to be very judgmental & quick to find fault.

Are you aware that you can change the way it looks, yourself? Just uncheck the 2 boxes under News Items, Display. That removes all the text that you say is "sloppy" and "too much". Your problem is solved!

Yes, for some of us, it will take a bit of getting use to, but as with everything in life, change is the only constant.

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#71 Old 9th May 2009 at 10:46 AM
In addition to what Mimi said (Thank you mimi, well said!), I'd also like to point out that the headers have been tweaked and changed based on feedback in this very thread. So, while I am not going to just change it back, I do appreciate comments and suggestions for improvement; I just don't actually have to change anything based on them.

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#72 Old 13th May 2009 at 11:35 PM
You want the other thread But thanks.

Test Subject
#73 Old 27th May 2009 at 3:59 PM
excuse me! i don"t understand...
i speak english a litlle bit.
my monitor , before i can download everything. now it tells can not can download
"Site-wide Announcements
Thumbs / Downloads / Uploads are OFFLINE. You'll have to make do with actually posting stuffs." I puzzling forcefully.

p.s. ....beg one's pardon if , interrogate wrong
Site Helper
#74 Old 27th May 2009 at 4:15 PM
That means that you will need to wait before trying to download again. Delphy is moving things to a new computer, so the downloads are not available right now. "You'll have to make do with actually posting stuff" is just a way of saying that the forums are still available for now, so enjoy them.

I hope this translates well for you.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Instructor
#75 Old 27th May 2009 at 4:21 PM
I liked better having this:
Click here for the old view Site Map with a list of all forums

available from the top pulldown thing than click site map, scroll to bottom, click link, but aaaah well.
Page 3 of 4