Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#26 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 11:06 AM
You can talk to people on the mainland through the universe channel or through the PM system (ie /tell)
Advertisement
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#27 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 11:08 AM
Thanks HP! I may just go download it now. It does in fact sound fun. I have overlooked some of the screenshots and videos and I am enjoying them all. I guess if I get into the game I will kill myself when the trial ends. LOL. But I am going to go check this website out again.
Scholar
#28 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 11:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Doddibot - You technically can play in first person, and I generally play just over my character's shoulder when foraging. For trekking and stuff where you have to watch out for aggressive things, it's way better to zoom out as far as you can, so you can see more around you. You can play Oblivion and Morrowind in third person too.

And the controls? It's not so much the 3rd person, but also the 'point and click' attacking. First person oriented games (like Oblivion, although 3rd is also possible) tend to control more like a shooter, which is more to my tastes.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#29 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 11:16 AM
Oh that is good to know. Because personally I don't like the whole 3rd person control. It feels really wierd.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#30 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 12:28 PM
Doddibot, you can use the keyboard to target, select actions, move etc, although the mouse is very handy for doing that too.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#31 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 1:41 PM
If anyone gets it set up and has any questions on stuff, you can send me a tell in-game. Either type /tell Labrys (message) into the little chat panel thing, or under Communication - Contact List, add the name "Labrys" to your friends list, and then it'll tell you whether I'm online and send me a tell that way. I'm on the mainland, but I still have an alt on Silan that I can pop in with if you need help. Just mention you're from S2C so I know you're a random weirdo with a purpose, as opposed to just a random weirdo.

And if anyone's curious... here's what the packers/mounts look like... mektoubs!

http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosti...my-mektoubs.jpg

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
#32 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 1:45 PM
Okay... so this looks totally interesting, but I have never played a MMORPG before (hell, I don't even know exactly what MMORPG stands for!). Is it easy for a complete noob to get the hang of?
retired moderator
#33 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 1:48 PM
MMORPG = Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game.

As long as you read all of the text that the trainers/quest givers tell you, take things slowly, and aren't afraid to ask questions, I find it has an acceptable learning curve. It does take some learning to set up your action stanzas properly, but if you get stuck, everyone's real helpful (there's a chat channel in game just for game Q&A) and you can always send me a tell if I'm on, too (which I am a lot). It does require a bit more brainpower to pick up than some other RPGs might - especially if you get into things like crafting and foraging, but the complexity comes on slowly, so you have time to get the hang of the simpler aspects before you're thrown in the deep end. I like that it's so complicated - others might not.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Field Researcher
#34 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 1:53 PM
Great! I like games that require brainpower as long as there is a reasonable way to learn them. Thanks, HP. I will probably give it a try later on tonight as I am off to a book signing in a little while! *hugs*
#35 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 1:58 PM
I might just get the free trial...

although I doubt I will ever pay2play (how much is it again?) unless maybe my gaming buddy likes it lol.

It sounds a bit like a buffed up runescape [that wasnt an insult!], and i like that it isnt just another WoW where you are set in a specific path or type.
retired moderator
#36 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 2:04 PM
Here's the subscription info: http://www.ryzom.com/newcomer/subscription-options

Exactly how much it is really depends on how you pay and how many months you get at once. I get a bit boned on exchange rates and fees using Paypal but it's still pretty reasonable for the amount of play I get out of it.

I really never expected to find a game that would justify me paying to play, but I just couldn't resist with Ryzom. I don't find it at all like Runescape besides perhaps a passing resemblance to the digging/crafting system but all MMORPGs are going to have some common elements. It's a really unique levelling system though, unlike anything I'd seen before.

#37 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 2:14 PM
Ah curse you a thousand times!! *shakes fist* Im gonna have go try this now after reading this thread....
#38 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 2:42 PM
um has this got to do with our new forum names, yesterday i was a superstar now im some weirdo name
Top Secret Researcher
#39 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 3:32 PM
Aww, I had just became a Psychic Phone Pal yesterday and now I'm some weird savage thingy. LOL

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
retired moderator
#40 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 3:33 PM
So... ignore it and use the rest of the forum, which is precisely the same. We're just having a bit of fun. Do try to play along. It's all temporary, silly, and in good fun.

Top Secret Researcher
#41 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 3:35 PM
HP, it's not bothering me it's just an odd title for someone. LOL Savage Frahars, unite!

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 3:38 PM
Hehe, this is quite funny actually, I havn't had chance to look at the game but will do later.

I don't know why its bothering people.Its only a banner, and a very amusing banner at that.

One thing though... while I may be a gingo I am not too happy about the scowling part. I don't scowl, it gives you wrinkles ;-)

Me addicted to the Sims? Never! You only have an addiction if you attend meetings.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 4:16 PM
I downloaded it last night and did some mindless foraging. The scenery is indeed beautiful, but for some reason it sort of froze on me after a while. Might try it again tonight. Lol, can you really make earrings in game from toenails and eyeballs?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#44 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 4:22 PM
yup you can croco! Try it with rendor eyeballs and hoofs.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
retired moderator
#45 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 4:24 PM
The downloader froze on me once when I was getting it - you can just restart it and it'll continue from where it left off. And yes, you can really make earrings (and all other jewelry) from toenails and eyeballs. You get crafting materials by foraging or killing creatures, so a lot of things are made from skins, pelvises, bones, claws, hooves, etc.

#46 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 4:29 PM
I have been downloading it since this afternoon, rofl, its still 0%
#47 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 4:37 PM
Mines at 43% and claims Ive got 23 minutes left.... We'll see about that...
#48 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 4:40 PM
I WOULD download it, but I've already told myself that I will NOT get myself into MMORPGs because then I would cease to have what little of a life I still possess. :P

Pardon me while I have a strange interlude.
#49 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 4:44 PM
*le Gasp* You mean we are supposed to have lives?!?! Why wasnt I informed of this????

I suppose Im downloading it because Im bored lol :laugh: I havent really played any other games for ages. The last one I played was maple story.. that was like half a year ago. lol Aside from games on pogo that is.. but you get the idea.
Test Subject
#50 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 4:48 PM
I love the weird titles and random messages on the navbar!! Random stuff rox my sox!! But some people take it too seriously...
Ryzom looks like an awesome game! If I had time and money, I'd totally play it! And that's coming from a person who usually doesn't look twice at MMORPGs. *sigh* I've tried them before, and I love the concept, and I enjoy playing them, but I just don't have the time to invest in building up a character's stats so that I'm not getting killed every five minutes.

Page 2 of 6